Standard Roles for Newbie Games?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.

Should all Newbie Games use standard role PMs?

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes: 72

Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Standard Roles for Newbie Games?

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:17 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Mr Flay has written a set of Role PMs for Newbie Games which I now use for all such games I mod. In light of recent discussions, how about making them (or something like them) compulsory?

:edit: the versions below have been amended from Mr Flay's versions in light of the discussion in this thread.

"Approved" Role PMs

The Mod wrote:You are
Mafia
, along with your partner _________. Your goal is to eliminate the pro-town players so that only you remain; you win if this happens. During the Day, try to blend in with the rest of the players, and get someone lynched (if that someone is not your partner or yourself, that will make things much easier). You may talk with your partner when it is not Day, and send me a choice via PM of who you wish to kill.

Note: You may talk with your partner privately during confirmations to plan strategy, but no kills will happen until Night One.
The Mod wrote:You are the
Doctor
, and you can protect people from harm. Each Night, you may send me a choice via PM of who to protect; if they come under attack by the Mafia, they will live. You win if the scum are eliminated, so choose wisely at Night, and try to lynch correctly during the Day.

Note: Doctors are 100% effective in Newbie Games (the person they protect will never die on the night they are protected). You may not protect yourself.
The Mod wrote:You are the
Cop
, and you can tell good from bad. Each Night, you may send a player's name to me; I will let you know if your investigation shows that they are Mafia or Town. You win if the scum are eliminated, so choose wisely at Night, and lynch well during the Day.

Note: Cops always get a correct result in Newbie Games (no sanity issues). You cannot investigate yourself.
The Mod wrote:You are a
Townie
, and you've got no special powers at Night. No investigations, no protection, no gun to shoot people. Your only powers are the ability to post, vote, and think. Help lynch Mafia during the Day, and you will win the game, along with the rest of the Town.
Last edited by Mr Stoofer on Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #3 (isolation #1) » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:48 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

MrBuddyLee wrote:They're newbie games. For educational purposes. There's no compelling reason for them not to use standard PMs other than to appease ADD-addled ICs. Who would be better off on the sidelines anyway.
QFT
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #12 (isolation #2) » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:57 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

First post edited in light of the above. I agree with changing "scum" to "Mafia", I've made the Cop role clearer, I've taken out the reference to "quacks", and I've clarified the Doc's "effectiveness".
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #14 (isolation #3) » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:00 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

For Townies, how about: "Your only weapon is your vote" instead of "But, you do have a vote, which is quite powerful (though no more powerful than anyone else's vote)"?
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #22 (isolation #4) » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:12 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

I agree mith. Perhaps the "rule" should be:
Here are some Role PMs that have been approved by mith and a number of other experienced Mods. You can use your own role PMs, provided that they contain, in substance, the information in these versions, no more or less.

Also, I've incorporated Thok's suggestion.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”