The Newbie Matrix6 stats thread (complete)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #113 (isolation #0) » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:26 pm

Post by Mina »

This has been brought to my attention, and confuses me, because it seems like the exact opposite result of what I'd expect intuitively. I'd have thought more experienced players = a better town overall. (Unless this is due to replacements, or to something like people giving less of a shit about newbie games when the queue has fewer active newbies.)

Assuming this pattern isn't caused by other factors or random chance, wouldn't sticking to one or the other actually make newbie set-ups MORE unbalanced? You'd have a point if either the 2-SE or 3-SE set-up was significantly closer to 50% than the other. But apparently, 2 SEs mean scum is disadvantaged, while 3 SEs mean town is disadvantaged. Actually, that means if list mods hadn't been changing it up for years, we'd have had much more lopsided results if these two equally unbalanced distributions weren't averaging each other out!

(It seems obviously better for the site if half of newbie games are rigged for scum to win 60% of the time and the other half for town to win 60% of the time than for town to only win 40%. Well, "obviously better" assuming someone even noticed the change--like I've said before in Matrix 6 discussions, I personally prioritize giving newcomers a more positive first experience over stats.
Here's where people should nag me to do newbie surveys already!
)
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #116 (isolation #1) » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:57 pm

Post by Mina »

hito, since only the original slot's "rank" is recorded and not the replacement's experience, I don't think it's feasible unless you force poor Toomai to look up the entire game history of every single replacement in the past two hundred games to see if he/she has played three games with one outside The Road to Rome. I'm kind of curious to know how win rates correlate to the ratio of SEs/ICs to newbies on each faction. It's probably a combination of hito's and Espeonage's theories.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #120 (isolation #2) » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:33 pm

Post by Mina »

Thanks, Toomai! TBH, it doesn't look like there's much of a pattern (well, I guess someone could make the "two scum newbies means they'll flake and get replaced by awesome people!" argument :P)

Return to “Mafia Discussion”