What happened to Vanilla Cop?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

What happened to Vanilla Cop?

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:43 am

Post by PokerFace »

What happened to Vanilla Cop? Unless I am miss remembering, wasn't Neapolitan what vanilla cop originally was?

The current version of Vanilla Cop finds power roles. Goons are seen as vanilla (You can't confirm anyone as any alignment as this role. You can only verify power role claims. You don't find who is truly vanilla)

Neapolitan finds vanillas and non vanillas. Goons are seen as non-vanilla (You can confirm vanilla townies as this role and find who truly is vanilla)

Why has Vanilla cop changed into a weaker version of itself? Its become a crappy variant of its past self

Neapolitan should be called Vanilla Cop because it finds Vanillas

and the Vanilla Cop we have today should be called Power Role Cop or Non Vanilla Cop
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #3 (isolation #1) » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:06 am

Post by PokerFace »

I didn't know you were in NRG again. I'm glad that you are and are bringing the more powerful role back (Neapolitan does sound cool). But a role really should do what it says.

They kinda each do the opposite of what they say now

Perhaps the roles should be Vanilla Finder and Power Role Finder?
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #5 (isolation #2) » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:29 am

Post by PokerFace »

Neapolitan is a good name. And I guess when you put it the way you just did, it does do what it says

But Vanilla cop (the new vanilla cop) really doesn't do what it says. NRG shouldn't have made it weaker in the first place. They should have just made a new role and name and not changed what was already good. They kinda ruined it. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I want vanilla cop to be what it used to be and this new vanilla cop to be pushed to the very back of the freezer and get neglected
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #6 (isolation #3) » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:33 am

Post by PokerFace »

I agree the term finder and or the term cop shouldn't be just tacked onto things. So ultimately I guess we are going about the process wrong

I just want a name that sticks to a role and does what its always done in the end
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #8 (isolation #4) » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:09 am

Post by PokerFace »

That may be true but I still don't like the change

I guess I'll just settle for the fact that the stronger role has the cooler name

Would anyone raise a fit if I updated the wiki to mention what came first and or this thread?

We don't have to change the names, but I'd still like the history preserved
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #12 (isolation #5) » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:50 am

Post by PokerFace »

Kagami wrote:I also like X-cop. It's immediately apparent what the role does without the player having to be worried about quoting their role PM and makes flips a lot simpler.

This is why I like the name to match the power, but because of how often each role is getting used, values are getting wrongly distributed here
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #14 (isolation #6) » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:00 am

Post by PokerFace »

There's a part of me that wants to call Neapolitan as Neapolitan or Vanilla cop

And there's a part of me that wants to call the new vanilla cop, Taste Tester or Food Critic

Especially since a taste tester or food critic still has to rate them after trying them. You still got to figure out what their alignment is after you take a bite

(I want ice cream real bad right now. Thread has made me hungry)
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #16 (isolation #7) » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:25 am

Post by PokerFace »

Last edited by PokerFace on Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #18 (isolation #8) » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:48 am

Post by PokerFace »

yep. I created a monster. Neighbor mainly stuck because I thought of it at the right time

For what its worth Pledges does sound like an awesome name.

Probably should make the neighbor alias pledges and the new vanilla cop alias taste tester or food critic (whatever sounds better)
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #21 (isolation #9) » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:47 am

Post by PokerFace »

Yes
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #29 (isolation #10) » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:30 am

Post by PokerFace »

In post 26, BBmolla wrote:We could take a pAge out of epic mafia and call neighbors Templars.

In terms of how cool the names sound

neighbors > pledges > templars

Pen pal is already a name for a similar mason like role. I am against using that for another role
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #30 (isolation #11) » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:33 am

Post by PokerFace »

In post 28, Ether wrote:Like I said, I like Socialite or Debutante. I've got a strong preference toward one-word names.

Definition of Debutante, since I've been asked this wrote:an upper-class young woman making her first appearance in fashionable society.

Both of those are fine though I will likely still refer to the role as friendly neighbor as its not confusing to me. The concept is only really confusing to new players and if you want to use either of these to teach new players that's fine by me
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #43 (isolation #12) » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:50 am

Post by PokerFace »

I like BBmolla's suggestion though Neapolitan sounds cooler

Townie cop would be good alias for it though

Return to “Mafia Discussion”