Curbing abusive behavior in games

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #20 (isolation #0) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:00 am

Post by callforjudgement »

I still think policy lynching D1 is helpful in 2:11 vanilla (and similar setups with heavy scum skew). You probably weren't going to hit scum anyway, and because scum are going to get the chance to take out the best townies early, you need to take out the worst townies early to compensate (and have the bonus chance of actually hitting scum).

That said, I also think 2:9 is more townsided than 2:11, because it gives the scum less control over which townies die.

I agree that policy lynches hardly ever happen, and I can see why. (That said, it has happened, although that was something of a special case, and is one of the incidents that lead me to conclude that moderators need to be very very careful with mechanics that give town an advantage for not going close to the deadline.) Anyone have an example from more recently than 2011?
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #26 (isolation #1) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:52 pm

In post 23, Vi wrote:@CFJ: I don't think that was an issue with the mechanic so much as it being a combination of a lot of people online, some super-fresh anger, and a charismatic leader.
Nah, it worked out that game. The issue is that pretty much every time something like that is tried, it tends to lead to a Day that's over in less than 24 hours, which is awkward for people who can't make the thread. (Of course, town were trying to do that intentionally, to get in before scum could submit the kill, but…)

It's annoying to sign up for a typical game and discover it's somehow turned into a Blitz.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #39 (isolation #2) » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:07 pm

Policy lynches are much easier in lylo because you often only need the one vote. At that point, scum will quickhammer, and you got your lynch!

Note: just because it's easy, it doesn't mean it's a good idea.
scum
town

Return to “Mafia Discussion”