[Meta] Newbie Experience (Formerly IC replace rate thread)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
singersigner
singersigner
I Got This
singersigner
I Got This
I Got This

Post Post #20 (isolation #0) » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Post by singersigner »

In post 6, Creature wrote:
In post 5, mastina wrote:Only new ICs.
I never saw me being reviewed as an IC...
This is quite possibly my fault since I just assumed anyone signing for for the queue had already been approved since there was only one post with games to review.

One of the recent ICs is on a game restrictment so hopefully that'll help. Another one...well, might have to be with newbie games in particular.

But anyway, yes, hopefully this will get resolved once there's a new mod since they will be able to devote more time to rectifying the issue than I could.
Glork and quadz08 are my favorite.

I like tomatoes.
singersigner
singersigner
I Got This
singersigner
I Got This
I Got This

Post Post #23 (isolation #1) » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:15 pm

Post by singersigner »

To be honest, ICs don't need to be good. They just need to be able to answer questions and set some sort of minimal standard for posting and activity (i.e. one post per day that says literally anything substantial blah blah blah). Somehow it seems like ICing has turned into a crazy standard of excellence when it should really just be "this is how not to suck as a person...hopefully you don't suck as a player either."

I like tomatoes.
singersigner
singersigner
I Got This
singersigner
I Got This
I Got This

Post Post #33 (isolation #2) » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:25 pm

Post by singersigner »

In post 31, hiplop wrote:The other thing is the [NEEDS IC'S] tag is almost ALWAYS there even when IC's aren't needed.

Trains the mind to ignore it if its essentially constant.
Well I did change it to SEs last week...

I like tomatoes.
singersigner
singersigner
I Got This
singersigner
I Got This
I Got This

Post Post #45 (isolation #3) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:06 am

Post by singersigner »

In post 44, Psyche wrote:clearly there
is
an expectation that ICs need to be particularly skillful at a certain approach to mafia, etc
That approach needs to fall along the lines of "don't be an asshole" and "this is what it's like to play on this forum." Some people just aren't good at articulating rules or being clear with strategy, regardless of if that strategy works.

I like tomatoes.
singersigner
singersigner
I Got This
singersigner
I Got This
I Got This

Post Post #79 (isolation #4) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:07 pm

Post by singersigner »

In post 77, Dunnstral wrote:I don't think there should ever be a point in the queue where there's 3 se's getting into games instead of 2 se's

If there's too many se's then that's just too bad. It's not the se queue
Yes and no.

1. A 4-5 ratio of experienced-inexperienced players lends to a more driven game with more people to set an example of how mafia is played.
2. At this point, putting a third SE in a game will help games get out more quickly because the rate at which newbies are joining the site is diminishing. We always need one or two pending newbies in case someone doesn't pick up a role PM or flakes so they can be ready to substitute in. If we have 6 newbies, it wouldn't make sense to fill a game with 6 newbies and leave the queue empty in case one fails to show up or backs out last minute, so I would do 5+an extra SE to leave a buffer, and then continue on with the queue as per usual. (basically what PenguinPower was saying)

I like tomatoes.
singersigner
singersigner
I Got This
singersigner
I Got This
I Got This

Post Post #81 (isolation #5) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:22 am

Post by singersigner »

Are those all games with Matrix6? There's quite a bit affecting wins rates nowadays. Not saying it's not the extra SE, but certain setups are easier and I haven't been keeping track of the data for how many of each game has been played.

I like tomatoes.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”