Criticism of Geriatric

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #5 (isolation #0) » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:02 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

I mean I have some criticisms of the ruleset specifically but I'm going to hash that out next time I run one of those games.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #47 (isolation #1) » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:27 am

To clarify when i said I had issues with the ruleset I meant that I still think that a game day rather than real day post bank is better because under the current ruleset someone who paces themselves can post 160 posts in a 15 day game and I think that mafia is a game that naturally ebbs and flows so it should be a ruleset that enables punctuated posting (though the current ruleset is lenient enough that this doesn't matter)
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #129 (isolation #2) » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:56 pm

I mean from the perspective of people who are anti-geriatric: what do you think should happen to people like Korts? should they not be able to play games anymore?
I don't want people who can't keep up with my level of activity because it makes the game less fun for me when people aren't keeping up with my pace so purely selfishly I think the geriatric thread is a great idea.

Particularly when the past idea of the slow paced longer game is such a niche offering that mafiascum offers I think that making sure it still offers that for people is a high priority.

Obviously I think that the mod team can fuck right off if they tried global rules on posting because I think that there's a silent majority of people who like the mafiascum pace as it is now, and I think a lot of the comments from both sides show that that even some of the people who were militantly anti-spamposting are starting to get that, but why is not offering an experience for a subset of players and losing these players ever better than dividing the community along a line of people who don't play much anyway?
But this is from someone who rarely likes to wall post, who likes to post a lot of unrelated stuff about the game, and prefers social aspect of the game then the actual game most of the time. Maybe I dislike the rules because I think it makes mafia less about people and more about analytical dissections
And totally: I've always been an advocate for killing the point proof comment style of mafia play in my own games, but if people want to self select for that game experience I don't see why they shouldn't be able to? Like a lot of these arguments are 'I would hate this style of player or find it hurts towns odds of winning' but if you're not playing in them I don't see the issue? It's not like it's a moral wrong.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #217 (isolation #3) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:40 am

Think that both the all out rejection of the ruleset by a decent sum of players and the rejection of positions like Firebringers who imo is clearly acting in good faith is a direct result of the formation of ingroups and outgroups on both sides (holy shit am I rb). Minimal group paradigm at its finest I guess.

Also think that a lot of the 'hyperposters' seem to be under the impression that this is going to take off completely and normal games won't be run because they're not factoring in how poor of a measurement popular support in MD is of the opinions of the people who largely play mafia. And frankly even if it was, then that would prove the original conjecture true, that people in general didn't want to play with the hyperposters (who aren't numerous enough to get their own games going) playing like they were in the first place, so it would still be a net positive for the site.

The 'hyperposters' are going on about how the hyperposters are trying to change their ways but largely I am not. On a micro basis I have no problems slowing down content if it's causing issues but on a macro level I don't think that the site wants to change universally to match the posting levels that the geriatric players want.

Like the efficacy of different styles doesn't even come into play here and I don't know why it's being brought up. Again: what alternatives are you proposing @Mulch and others?
I mean from the perspective of people who are anti-geriatric: what do you think should happen to people like Korts? should they not be able to play games anymore?
In post 136, Nexus wrote:
In post 129, RadiantCowbells wrote:I think that the mod team can fuck right off
Charming.
I think this pretty heavily decontextualizes the fact that my issue was not with the mod team but with the idea of globally restricting posting site wide.
I also wouldn't be back if I wasn't largely happy with a lot of the recent appointments that made me feel like my complaints about how the discussion side was run didn't fall on deaf ears.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #227 (isolation #4) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:58 pm

Now that the year is over someone (read: mhsmith0) should compile the stats in all queues.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #231 (isolation #5) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:14 pm

when we pass shit like mulch's set up and towns still lose then we don't know what to do anymore.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #264 (isolation #6) » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:16 am

I think that games are too long and people don't play enough of them for any elo system to matter
there's also a lot of noise regarding how different queues and games line up, the newbie queue is the closest to reasonable in this sense
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #269 (isolation #7) » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:29 pm

I think we should rename 'geriatric players club' to 'gerryoat haters club'

Return to “Mafia Discussion”