Theme Test Market

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #4725 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:13 am

Post by Maestro »

Role/Game idea:

P.D.A. Lovers

P.D.A. Lovers are Lovers with a modifier. They must be the only pair of Lovers in a game, and can be of any alignment combination, but if they're ever both voting for the same player at the same time, or if either of them ever votes for the other one, they will gain a "Hated" modifier flavored as "you were seen being gross and snogging, groping, or holding hands and looking too longingly into eachothers' eyes in public - the rest of the Town is jealous of your love, and they Hate you now" or some such. I feel like this is an important step to take for the Lover role. Would be kinda fun to try out, especially since the feeling is so relatable, non?
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #4726 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:48 am

Post by Varsoon »

What's to keep town from browbeating everyone into doing a big dumb terribly rote vote exchange so that they can know for sure who the lovers are?
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #4727 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:50 am

Post by Varsoon »

If it's a non-public role or extant non-publicly in a game, it could work, though.
The issue I always have with mechanics is that I have to take a step back and think, "How would some methodical player break this mechanic sideways in a way that I did not intend?"
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #4728 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:09 pm

Post by Elbirn »

I'd say that they should only have a hated modifier when they're voting for the same person, but not any longer when they change votes, but then that would basically make it useless and mere flavor. It would only wind up ever being a factor if one of the lovers was a counterwagon to another player, then the one lover wouldn't be able to vote survivalistically on the other wagon

I think having roles with punishing drawbacks with no upside is kinda..ehhhh?
Last edited by Elbirn on Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #4729 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:15 pm

Post by Elbirn »

While we're discussing roles tho, has there ever been a "medium" type role on this site? I've never seen it implemented in a game, but I'd love a role that can communicate with dead players. Mostly I want a way for players to continue to participate and be engaged in a game even after their death.

I think I'd like to someday do an original theme game that's the trope of a murder mystery in a mansion thing, and that's a role I envision for it. I've also considered the medium being able to resurrect one player or be a sort of universal backup (can channel the spirit of one dead power role let's say) but think both of those are far too powerful and haven't been used on this site for a reason.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #4730 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:26 pm

Post by Varsoon »

Yeah I've run dead-communication in, like, literally the last game I ran, bud.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #4731 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:26 pm

Post by Varsoon »

Also I think it was NSG ? or someone who ran a game themed around dead players being able to send tapes from the afterlife or something.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #4732 (ISO) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:51 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

That's the 13 Reasons Why game? If it was that was keyenpeydee who ran that I think.
I wonder where he is rn.
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4733 (ISO) » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:37 am

Post by u r a person 2 »

In post 4715, Maestro wrote:I've done an all-hydra game in the past (which went as well as you'd expect), but I'm throwing this out there if anybody's interested: a game with a Perfect Hydra or two. Think about it: hydrae who have to work to be a cohesive mind-melded mafia player on top of hunting Scum or pretending to hunt Scum... does that sound awful or appealing? I've never liked hydrae, and this isn't the place to go into that, but I'm trying to be open-minded here and see what we could discover about the phenomenon.
I would /in this game
if only to see how it goes
edit: i would prefer it either be all hydra or for me to be a hydra head. It is coordinating the hydra that I would find most interesting
103-11 0-2
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #4734 (ISO) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:46 pm

Post by Maestro »

Looking for a reviewer/think tank:

Spoiler:
In the Micro Queue, Maestro wrote:
Game Name:
Religion
+
"Balance" The Cult

Game Type:
Theme/Open (further information for ListMod will follow)
Game Size:

Co/Backup Mod:
None as of now

Reviewed By:
Accepting offers and searching

Hydrae Allowed?:
Nope
Other Restrictions?:
No hard restriction (strongly recommend 3 or more games on-site, with at least 1 "heavy" theme game)
Deadlines?:
1-week Day phases, 2-day Night phases
Is it possible your game has any of the following bastard roles or mechanics?
explicitly Yes (further information for ListMod will follow)

Description:
During Bastard++ I became fascinated with the idea of balancing otherwise "bastard" mechanics. And religion is also interesting, though in a more at-a-distance, clinical sense, like cocaine. We used to think it was a lot better for us than it actually is, and I'm glad not as many people do it anymore. Do people actually read these or do you just decide on a game after reading the title? I'm on a horse.
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #4735 (ISO) » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:36 pm

Post by Elbirn »

Well that's nice but I have no idea what you're saying
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #4736 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:14 pm

Post by wgeurts »

"
i agree we should have a rule against wgeurts
" -
Davsto

"
let's have 2 rules against wgeurts
" -
DeathRowKitty

brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #4737 (ISO) » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:39 am

Post by brassherald »

What would people think of a Blood Bowl themed game? Since I basically just do games based on things I am currently enjoying, and this is it.

Also, American Presidents 2 has been something I've thrown around as a joke on Discord that might be made because I have taken the joke too far.
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #4738 (ISO) » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:59 am

Post by Varsoon »

I would play a Blood Bowl game.
I would pre-in for American Presidents 2 : Vice President Boogaloo.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4739 (ISO) » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:02 am

Post by brassherald »

Well, as promised, if American Presidents wins the scummy for Game of the Year by some miracle, a sequel will follow.
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #4740 (ISO) » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:20 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 4738, Varsoon wrote:I would play a Blood Bowl game.
Vice President u-pick

Dibs on Spiro Agnew
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4741 (ISO) » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:38 am

Post by brassherald »

In post 4740, Elbirn wrote:
In post 4738, Varsoon wrote:I would play a Blood Bowl game.
Vice President u-pick

Dibs on Spiro Agnew
momo
momo
Mafia Scum
momo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4742 (ISO) » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:53 pm

Post by momo »

Would y'all be interested in playing a large theme

Admins vs Mods Mafia, battle for MafiaScum

The Administrators (scum) have long held tyranny over mafiascum.net, banning long-standing members with little thought. They are detached from the average member and no longer represent the best interests of the site.

The various list and discussion mods control various aspects of the site, and working together, they can rival the admins power.

Heavy flavor large theme with a lot of different mechanics that will tell the story of the list and discussion mods (works out to 11) trying to take away power from the admins (there are 4 with red names on this site).

I'm thinking I could make it into a series (the first battle, then depending on who won, subsequent battles).

Any interest?
Transcend
-BUT READING MOMO I FEEL LIKE HE IS THE PLAYER THAT IF HE GOT PRESSURED AS TOWN HE WULD BE LIKE FUCK YALL AND MOVE ON WITH WHATEVER ELSE HE WAS DOING
Boonskies
- Like, Momo is the most mislynchable player on all of mafiascum right now. I'm not day 1 lynching him.
TheGoldenParadox
As it stands, momo is a great player or maybe the most mislynchable player on the site right now
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4743 (ISO) » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:53 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

You would need to take on a bunch of people to consult for flavor

Otherwise I don't see much interest in a game like that
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #4744 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:52 pm

Post by mastina »

So I had an idea for a 24ish (give or take two town players depending on exact game balance to make the idea work) player large theme based around a 4:4:16ish (again give or take two town players balance depending) Fire and Ice game--with a twist.

There would be a "thread temperature" meter--at freezing cold (0), Ice's kill becomes strongman and ninja, and all Ice become bulletproof to the fire nightkill. At burning hot (100), Fire's kill becomes strongman and ninja, and all Fire become bulletproof to the ice nightkill. If the thread temperature drops to freezing cold/raises to burning hot during a day, it is locked at that temperature until the start of the day phase, where it is automatically adjusted ~20 towards temperate. (As per usual, fire and ice killing the same person nullifies the kill.)

Certain roles would be temperature-dependent, and/or work only on select factions.

The thread temperature meter would start at 50, and raise/lower depending on flips. Town flips move it ~5 towards temperate. Ice flips move it ~10 towards hot; Fire flips move it ~10 towards cold.

...However.

...The main way the thread temperature meter would rise and fall.

...Would be based around (lack of) post count.
Exact metric would be publicized, but is not finalized now.
I was thinking along the lines of,
For every post a player makes above their tenth in 24 hours, thread temperature rises 1 degree; if a player has less than two posts in 24 hours, thread temperature drops 2 degrees; if a player goes two days in a row violating this, these effects are doubled. Three, doubled again. Four, doubled again, and so on.

For every 24 hours that there are less than 5 pages posted, thread temperature drops 10 degrees.
If this happens again, it drops 20 degrees.
Again, 40 degrees.
Again, 80 degrees.
Again, auto-freeze.
This doubling is reset every day phase. (So, dropping below the total on D1 is a drop of ten, and again on D2 is still a drop of 10, not a drop of 20.)

For every 24 hours that there are more than 15 pages posted, thread temperature rises 10 degrees.
If this happens again, it's 20 degrees.
Again, 40 degrees.
Again, 80 degrees.
Again, auto-burn.
This doubling is reset every day phase. (So, going above the total on D1 is an increase of ten, and again on D2 is still an increase of 10, not an increase of 20.)

Numbers subject to change, but I have an idea for what roles the game would feature (spoiler alert: explicitly not mountainous multiball!) and the basic premise is there; keep a
moderate
posting level, neither too much or too little, or face the consequences.

I've got enough game projects I want to run though that unless I get some strong interest in the idea, it'll be a long time (if ever) before it gets run.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #4745 (ISO) » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:22 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

Wouldn't this have the obvious problem that when the scumteams become imbalanced as a result of asymmetrical nightkills or lynching, town have a strong incentive to spam/lurk in order to give an advantage to the smaller team? Town typically want scumteams in a multiball game to be balanced with each other.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #4746 (ISO) » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:51 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 4745, callforjudgement wrote:Wouldn't this have the obvious problem that when the scumteams become imbalanced as a result of asymmetrical nightkills or lynching, town have a strong incentive to spam/lurk in order to give an advantage to the smaller team? Town typically want scumteams in a multiball game to be balanced with each other.
Uh, why?

In a multiball game town's chances of winning skyrocket when they turn it from multiball to singleball early-on. (Sure multiball allows cross-kills, but it also allows two town deaths per night instead of one. Permanently reducing the scum deaths per night every single night > a
chance
scum cross-kill
one
night.)

Why would they aim to self-balance the scumteams when what they really want is to get RID of a scumteam?
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #4747 (ISO) » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:51 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In post 4746, mastina wrote:Uh, why?

In a multiball game town's chances of winning skyrocket when they turn it from multiball to singleball early-on. (Sure multiball allows cross-kills, but it also allows two town deaths per night instead of one. Permanently reducing the scum deaths per night every single night > a chance scum cross-kill one night.)

Why would they aim to self-balance the scumteams when what they really want is to get RID of a scumteam?
fire and ice has proven this untrue
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
DeltaWave
DeltaWave
she/her/hers
Mafia Scum
DeltaWave
she/her/hers
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her/hers

Post Post #4748 (ISO) » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:35 am

Post by DeltaWave »

Ass Mafia
, the most anticipated theme game of 2019

You take a picture of your ass and send it to the mod (me), and if/when you die, your ass selfie is publicly posted for all to see. Also all the roles are ass-themed. Be advised that there is nothing sexually explicit about a simple picture of the human ass. Is Michelangelo's David "sexually explicit"? There is nothing inherently sexual about the human ass, it's just a part of the body. No genitals visible, just ass. 24/7 ass.

You don't have to take me at my word. I consulted Yahoo! Answers for more information on this topic. According to Yahoo! Answers, the ass is NOT a sexual organ.
The butt itself is visually attracting depending on the butt...however, the anus is off limits. That is a sphincter muscle. You can tear it, stretch it or destroy it. Then you go poopy all over yourself because you can not control it. As far as rubbing of the butt or what not, it can be used in sexual stimulation,
but the anus, nor the butt, is actually a sexual organ.
Therefore this does NOT BREAK THE RULES OF THE FORUM.
When there's trouble, you call DW.

"For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect."
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #4749 (ISO) » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:33 pm

Post by Elbirn »

This has already happened

Return to “Mafia Discussion”