Theme Test Market

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2221 (isolation #0) » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:55 am

Post by zoraster »

Real Time Mafia:

Mafia is usually a turned-based game. There are distinct stages of the game. For example, night and day. Mafia kills every night. Town lynches every day. Cops investigate every night.

Real Time Mafia isn't like that. You get to use your powers as often as you want, although they do have certain (and different) recharge times. For example (and not the true numbers or roles), the mafia may be able to kill every 4 days. The cop may be able to investigate every 3 days. The vigil may kill every 53 days. Expect the time between recharges to reduce for each use.

The town may lynch as OFTEN as they want or can. However, they use the Lynch + 24 hours system. Once
majority is reached, the town has 24 hours to switch their votes. At 24 hours after majority is reached, the player with plurality is lynched.

The mafia will be able to day talk starting 48 hours before their kill power is recharged until they decide to use their power.

Protection roles will protect for a certain time, perhaps not the same amount of time as their recharge time (e.g. doc protects for 3 days, it takes 5 days to recharge from when he first decided to protect).

PM me to /pre-in for this game
. Please note that any details are subject to change between now and when the game starts.

---
I've got 4 or 5 pre-ins so far for this mini-theme, and it's a bit off, but I welcome any other people that want to pre-in. I'm 20th in the queue, so it's probably a couple of months before this begins. Given the change in mechanic, be aware that -- though all possible steps will be taken to assure it -- balance is not promised.

Assuming this works reasonably well, hopefully it'll be the first of a series of games... eventually working up to a large theme. But the balance issues will need to be worked out before I subject 22+ people to the game. Therefore, guinea pigs assemble!
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2235 (isolation #1) » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:44 pm

Post by zoraster »

Parallel Universe Mafia.
Large Theme Game.
Open Setup.
24 players.

2 simultaneous games (don't count it out out of hand!).

Game 1 setup:
Mafia A: 1 teleporter, 2 goons
Town: 1 teleporter, 1 puller, 1 teleporter backup, 1 puller backup, 5 vanilla

Game 2 setup:
Mafia B: 1 teleporter, 2 goons
Town: 1 teleporter, 1 puller, 1 teleporter backup, 1 puller backup, 5 vanilla

Game works pretty much like normal in that majority lynches during the day.

Each Mafia picks one player to pull a kill at night. In either game they have a player.

Win conditions:
Any town member in the FIRST game that wins, automatically wins and cannot be pulled or teleported into the other game. A game is won by town when all mafia forces are eliminated (by lynch or teleport) in that game.
Town members in the second game win only when they eliminate all remaining mafia.
For town: the game you die in is the game you win or lose in.
Mafia A and B win whenever they win a game in EITHER game. They can go for the amazing DOUBLE WIN if they somehow manage to win both games. They win when there are no longer any other forces in the game other than their Mafia team and not before (even when normally they would be autowin... they could be pulled)

Roles:
Teleporters can "teleport" someone from their game into the other game. They cannot teleport themselves. May be used once per DAY
Pullers can "pull" someone from the other game into their own. May be used once per DAY.
Backup teleporters and pullers become active if the person they backup either is killed OR teleported OR pulled.

I won't be running this for a while; I have a lot on my plate at the moment. But this is something I hope to try out. It's possible it'll be swingy, and it DEFINITELY will be crazy, but I think it could be hectic and fun for people involved. The scum have the chance to go for a double win which is cool, but I think the most interesting dynamic is the two towns that are not QUITE at odds with each other, but will remain permanently in tension.

If you're only interested in regular mafia, I don't need to hear from you. Nor do I need to hear from anyone who rejects double games out of hand. But I WOULD love to hear from anyone who has a suggestion or a constructive criticism.

---
I also am considering making the TOWN teleporter and puller from each team both unkillable/unlynchable and unteleportable/unpullable
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2237 (isolation #2) » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:14 am

Post by zoraster »

still Mafia A. Mafia A can then decide at night whether to shoot with the person in world 2 or shoot with one of the two people in world 1.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2239 (isolation #3) » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:09 am

Post by zoraster »

A couple of points:
1. If there's more than one player alive on your mafia team, you can choose which world to shoot in. So if you get someone teleported to world 2, you can still choose to shoot in world 1 and not give the game up
2. Mafia can always no kill.
3. There will be two or three changes per day. Town teleporter, Town Puller, and Mafia Teleporter (i may get rid of mafia teleporter, trying to decide). So it'll be tough to pick out which one of those actually made the kill.

Now that I think about that, I may want to up the numbers a few or reduce the teleporters. 6 people moving worlds per day is probably a bit much when it's out of 24 players [1/4th]. If I got rid of the mafia teleporter, it'd be 4/24 [1/6th] which is probably more reasonable. If I increase it to 30 players total (15 a side), that's 6/30 [1/5th].

Alternatively, I could just do Mafia Teleporter and Town Teleporter. That may be more fair because otherwise presumably 2 pro-town player get moved and only 1 scummy player gets moved into each game (since the puller will presumably play a pro-town player)
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2249 (isolation #4) » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:54 pm

Post by zoraster »

has there been a game of thrones/song of ice and fire themed game?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2253 (isolation #5) » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:03 am

Post by zoraster »

Faraday wrote:
zoraster wrote:has there been a game of thrones/song of ice and fire themed game?
I asked a while ago, apparently not. I was thinking of doing it for my mini theme game. I have a set-up created, but was waiting to get it reviewed till after my mini normal. It's just based on the first book though.

Wouldn't mind doing a large theme based on the 4 books in the future, if you were interested in doing something together, idk.
I'd be willing to do that. I have a Large Theme (Parallel Universe Mafia) I'm planning to run after my Large Normal finishes and I get my Mini-Theme up and running, but I'd be more than happy to back-up or co-mod a large theme with Song of Ice and Fire or even Game of Thrones (sets up easy sequels if you/we can come up with a compelling game that people have a lot of fun playing). I think due to the scope and number of characters it really cries out for a large game. The question is whether there's enough interest in the books to justify it.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2255 (isolation #6) » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:02 pm

Post by zoraster »

Okay. I've refined Parallel Universe Mafia a little more.

30 players overall. 15 per game. 2 games going simultaneously.

Game 1:
1-shot Mafia A Teleporter
Mafia A Goon
Mafia A Goon

Town 1 Teleporter
Vanilla x 11

Game 2:
1-shot Mafia B Teleporter
Mafia B Goon
Mafia B Goon

Town 2 Teleporter
Vanilla x 11

Town Teleporter role: Each night may either
teleport
a player a player away from the game or
pull
a player from the other game into their own. In the first three nights, they must teleport twice and pull once in any order. In the next three days they must teleport twice and pull once, etc. They may not teleport themselves.

A teleported or pulled player may not be teleported or pulled again the next night.

When a town teleporter is killed, lynched, pulled or teleported, they lose their power and become a vanilla townie and a remaining townie (picked at random) is made the new teleporter (perma backups, in other words... the town will always have this role around). The new teleporter is held to the same restrictions as the old (e.g. if it's n3 and the previous teleporter pulled once and teleported once, the new teleporter MUST teleport)

Mafia Teleporter role: They may teleport a player away at night OR day, but they may only do this once during the game. They may not teleport themselves.

Each mafia may shoot once per night. They may shoot with any player that is still alive, regardless of which game they are in.

Win conditions:
Any town member in the FIRST game that wins, automatically wins and cannot be pulled or teleported into the other game. A game is won by town when all mafia forces are eliminated (by lynch or teleport) in that game.
Town members in the second game win only when they eliminate all remaining mafia.
For town: the game you die in is the game you win or lose in.
Mafia A and B win whenever they win a game in EITHER game. They can go for the amazing DOUBLE WIN if their faction somehow manages to win both games. They win when there are no longer any other forces in the game other than their Mafia team and not before (even when normally they would be autowin... they could be pulled/teleported). Mafia teams are opposed to each other, and a Mafia A player always wins whether they are in that game or another.

Thoughts? I think this setup works better than the one I discussed before. It won't be quite as crazy during the day with people going from game to game in rapid fashion, but I think ultimately that will make the game a lot more fun and make it a lot more mafia-esque with scum hunting and all.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2320 (isolation #7) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:32 pm

Post by zoraster »

the only way a spectator's mafia would work would be if it were paired with something like a "championship" mafia with all of the "best" players involved. Otherwise, interest will probably wane.

Oh, and I like Proxy Vote Mafia. Cool concept. Just have to make sure to balance it well as Mafia will inherently have far more of an advantage than normal as they'll almost always (until there's only one member left) proxy their vote to another mafia player whereas others can't.

There's also a worry about player collusion in that the town would have incentive to set up a system where every player proxies their vote to the person below them in the list so that it essentially gives the same as a normal game. Anyone who violates this policy is outed as anti-town.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2406 (isolation #8) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:35 am

Post by zoraster »

Chevre wrote:What interest would there be in a
Pearls Before Swine
Mini Theme?
Would you be goat?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2409 (isolation #9) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:47 am

Post by zoraster »

Chevre wrote:
zoraster wrote:
Chevre wrote:What interest would there be in a
Pearls Before Swine
Mini Theme?
Would you be goat?
I don't know who I'd be.
Apparently humorless!
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2441 (isolation #10) » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:51 pm

Post by zoraster »

BloodCovenent wrote:Oh sweet Narsis. thats cool, i just don't want to make an exact copy of a game though =X
A first I thought you had come across an awesome exclamation.

"Sweet Narsis, that's cool!" rather than "Oh sweet, Narsis. that's cool"

Carry on.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2442 (isolation #11) » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:09 pm

Post by zoraster »

I was daydreaming while I studied for the bar, and I thought about this. Haven't really run it through the ringer much, but it seemed kind of a interesting, weird concept for a Mini-theme.

Attrition
: (aka "Real Marathon Mafia")

It's a normal game of Mafia. Except:
1. The game is only open one day of the week, every Tuesday.
2. Each person may only post once on that day.
3. If a player misses two possibilities for posting in the same day, he or she is removed from the game by modkill.
4. There are no replacements. Modkills only.
5. Deadlines are set based on posts. First lynch must occur by Post 210 (roughly 4 months).

It'd probably be night start because getting the conversation started quickly is a must.

As many of those who have played my games know, I generally set up very fast games. This would be... something different. I'm also wary of it because it'll take up a mod slot for potentially over a year (though I suspect attrition really will occur). It'd be a huge time commitment in terms of length of the game, but a pretty minor one in terms of amount of effort.

---
This isn't the theme I had been planning on running in August, but it could be if I get some positive feedback. Otherwise, it'll go into the ever-growing folder of ideas I'm not using or haven't figured out a way to work.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2444 (isolation #12) » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:37 am

Post by zoraster »

Hoopla wrote:What's the point in that zoraster? I mean, why would it be fun? The novelty is definitely in the form of altered gameplay, but I don't think it is an enhancement. I predict it would turn into something like Adel's Beta Hydra game which imposed more flexible posting restrictions on players than this, but still had dire consequences overall. Scum received an extra kill after a certain amount of posts had passed, which led to massive wall-posts with players trying to reference everything at once, which in turn led to lurking.

One post once a week (if they're available that day) is just ridiculous and won't be a fun concept, and I can guarentee players will lose interest and some will have to drop out, because I can't see this going anything less than 6 months.
It's a good point. I think there's a good chance it'd stagnate, but there's also a chance that given it's just one post a week (12 posts in all to start), it'd have a chance of not doing so because the mindset is different. Still, I think there's enough truth in what you say to scrap-pile it.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2451 (isolation #13) » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:07 am

Post by zoraster »

Does it bother you that you'll have to make the subjective determination of who is worthy of points? Or will you provide some way for the players to evaluate that?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2453 (isolation #14) » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:13 am

Post by zoraster »

so if a player is confirmed or mostly confirmed as town and the town decides to send you a million PMs to level him up to be uber? How about if mafia players want to rank up their own players? How about if town determines that the best thing for them to do is not to PM ever because it's more likely to help scum than town (after all, in a 12 player game with 3 scum, town has a 1/4th chance of helping a scum level up whereas a scum will never help a town level up).
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2478 (isolation #15) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:37 pm

Post by zoraster »

you could potentially use my teleportation mafia theme with some tweaks to do 100ish (90, 96 or 105 would be easier).

If you're not running it as a joke, you've got a pretty tough climb to figure out how to do it and have it be fun and require skill rather than luck. A joke thing would work (tons of day kills, night kills, things blowing up, etc.), but you're not really going to get much fun out of it, and it's going to be a pain in the ass to read if you're trying to take it seriously.

If I were to try and work 100ish (99) players into a game and I was given 10 minutes to design something, this is how I'd do it:

9 person initial games (12 of them) with 1 week deadlines and nightless, using some sort of F11-esque thing (open setup with multiple variations possible but hopefully equal - unlike f11). Winners move on. If scum team wins, both move on. If town wins, they submit secret ballot to vote one townie off.

As soon as all the games are finished, the next round will have 2-6 games (depending, obviously, on the sides that are winning). Closed game, but announced sides (for example, either "one mafia" or "one mafia, sk" or "two mafias"). Winner moves on, town has to vote someone off. 1 week deadlines, nightless. Designing these games will start as soon as it becomes obvious that there are two possibilities for the game makeups.

Final game is designed and played, 1 week deadlines with nightless.

Tournament Mafia or whatever. Would require an insane amount of work plus multiple mods, but i guess it's doable. Still, I wouldn't do something like this.

---
Your best bet is to go for funny and fast rather than competitive and fun.

---
Honestly, if you can't promise people that it'll last no longer than a week, I don't think you'll get 100 people to play.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2480 (isolation #16) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:43 pm

Post by zoraster »

Andrius wrote:I was thinking of having it be semi-tournament style.

Like groups of 20 or so will play, and then whoever survives that round will be thrown into the overall round, which would be a massive kill-fest.

So it wouldn't be 100 players at a time, more like 20 players at a time, so.
Your enemy will be flagging interest as it takes a long time to do. If you call it tournament mafia, you'll necessarily need to make it skill based (or such as that is in forum mafia), so your games can't be the "day 1 lasts 29 hours" type of thing.

And survive? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a game of mafia?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2486 (isolation #17) » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:01 am

Post by zoraster »

Isn't it mafia already a game of skill though?
and
Re: 100 Mafia: Definitely lynchers, survivors, jesters, lots of linked roles (lovers, etc). CHAOS ENSUES.
Mafia is a game of skill, but when you start to do the crazy stuff necessary to make a 100 person game playable, you reduce this by a lot. Chaos is not a great indicator that skill will play a large part.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2500 (isolation #18) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:25 am

Post by zoraster »

http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... 70&start=0

and

http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... 71&start=0

Was Teleportation Mafia. Two 15 player subgames with teleportation between the two.

It was interesting and I believe the players had fun, but it has one big problem that I still have not figured out how to overcome. Until I can figure out how to resolve that issue, it's not one I'm likely to run again.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2512 (isolation #19) » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:06 am

Post by zoraster »

jimfinn wrote:It'll be a while before I'd get to mod it, but how about "Everyone has 2 votes mafia". Each player has two votes at all times, which can be put either twice on one player or once on each of two players. Majority of total votes required to lynch.
It's not a
bad
idea, but I don't really think it'll have the effects you might think. Imagine it another way: everyone has one vote but can divide their vote in half. Other than some novelty voting that splits it, I think you're mostly going to get people who keep their votes together.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2659 (isolation #20) » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:26 pm

Post by zoraster »

In The Court of The Gods

Zorasterland has three living and immortal gods. Each is served by five mortal high priests. On all matters put in front of the court, the gods consult with their personal priests and make their case to the court. Both the priests and the gods each have one vote with a majority deciding any matter put before it. For centuries, this system has led the people of Zorasterland in peace and prosperity.

Until now.

It has become clear that one of the immortal gods has decided he wishes to rule alone. To do so, he has corrupted several of the high priests (although not necessarily his own). Their plan is simple: kill off enough priests that The Corrupt have a majority of the vote in the Court and can banish the other gods from Zorasterland.*

Those standing in opposition to this nefarious plan must come together to stop this evil.

*Notwithstanding this, a stand-off still goes to scum.
-----
OUTLINE:
1. There are three immortal gods that cannot be killed or lynched. Two are good and win with the town. One is evil and wins with the evil faction.

2. The evil faction wins when all good mortals are eliminated. The good faction wins when all evil-doer mortals are eliminated.

3. ONLY the immortals may chat as normal within the regular game. Everyone else may only vote, confirm a vote, unvote, go on V/LA, or post to correct a vote count.
Removed

4. Gods and mortals alike each have one vote unless they have a power otherwise granted to them.

5. Each god has 5 followers. The immortal and his followers may consult via PMs as they wish.

6. Each follower will be in at least one QT with other followers. Gods will not have a QT (except the evil immortal who will have scum daychat).
Removed

7. There are an unspecified number of evil-doer mortals. They will be distributed RANDOMLY (i.e. they will not all be the high priests of a particular god).

8. If you wish to be one of the three immortals, you must say as much in your sign-up post. I will choose who the gods are, but who is scum and who is town will be chosen randomly.

There are some extra obligations if you are an immortal:
The hope is that you like to lead games, scum hunt, and are generally very active. As such, you are obligated to be an active participant. Lurking, active or passive, will not be tolerated in the gods. As a god, you have an addition obligation to make the game FUN, not just win. If you don't want to be held to this, don't offer to be an immortal god

---
SUMMARY:

18 person game, 3 players who cannot die or be lynched, one of whom is scum.

PM me to /pre-in.

Pre-ins:
SpyreX
FishytheFish*
Equinox
DrippingGoofball*
Lady Lambdadelta
Mina
Last edited by zoraster on Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 7 times in total.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2677 (isolation #21) » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:20 pm

Post by zoraster »

I'd love to know how much interest there is in this:

Webcam Mafia

So this is going to be a highly experimental game, probably something like 7-9 players in its first iteration to be played with more if it's successfully run. The details are very sketchy at the moment, so a lot can change as I mull over exactly what I want from it.

Everyone will set up a youtube account. At least once every two (or three or four, check below) days and no more than twice a day, players will post a 30 second to 5 minute long youtube clip of themselves discussing the game. It must show their face clearly as they do this (no blurring, no sunglasses, etc). Then they'll post a link to the youtube clip in regular chat.

Voting will be like normal.

I'm not sure whether there will be allowed regular text communication in the game. If there is, then I think I'd make the youtube clip requirement every three or four days instead of every two. I'm leaning toward yes, and just letting the youtube clips get used for summary, etc.

The idea is to add a little face-to-face reading aspect to forum mafia. Obviously multiple takes will be allowed, but that's no different than text posts.

Anyway, this requires all the players have webcams (or iphones, digital cameras etc.) that can post to the internet as well as a willingness to let their own face be seen. That limits the number of players and replacements I can get for this. If there's no interest out there, I won't run it, but I think it has the potential to be really interesting and possibly be the most significant addition to scum hunting in a long, long time.

I've returned to this concept a lot in my few years here, but when I first thought of it, i didn't think there were enough people with webcams who would be interested. I think so many people have access now that it might be viable.

So let me hear your thoughts, guys. This is just me spitballing.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2679 (isolation #22) » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:14 am

Post by zoraster »

CheeseDeluxe wrote:It's been done before. However, I'd like to say something. Most of the people here (even the more experienced) may have a harder time if they are scum. For instance, it might be harder to conceal shock ("OH MY GOD HE'S DEAD").

So hell, why not?

Well, to be fair it's not like this will be instant communication. It'll still offer people the opportunity to do multiple takes (like editing before submitting) and all that. Still, I think it offers an avenue for reads that hasn't been used so far. I think I'm going to try doing it in an upcoming game I'm playing in just to test how onerous it is to do before asking a bunch of players to do it.

Take note that this suggestion is not calling for skype mafia or anything in real time. it's asking for posting of short youtube clips, probably in addition to other posting.

Do you know what the game was called, a link, etc?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2693 (isolation #23) » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:29 am

Post by zoraster »

yeah, i'd be happy to talk to you about teleportation mafia (as I called it in the end, due to tar/forbiddan/ssk's game). It's not a style of game without some serious drawbacks, but it does have upside.

My question to you is how you link those two games. In other words, why should the large game care about the small game and why should the large one care about the small one?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2696 (isolation #24) » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:36 am

Post by zoraster »

I don't think a single doctor has enough power to balance 10-2 mountainous. Over four nights, the doctor only has a 50% chance of saving even one person (assuming he isn't killed himself). The fact it allows for a claim helps town a bit (especially if the doc makes it to lylo), but I don't think that's enough juice.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2702 (isolation #25) » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:35 pm

Post by zoraster »

Kind of a game I'd suggest running toward the beginning of the season rather than during the off season, but that's just me.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2705 (isolation #26) » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:24 am

Post by zoraster »

So riffing off of webcam mafia... I just didn't know how much I liked just a game that had a youtube posting requirement. Thinking about it, that could lead to some very inactive people who I have to decide to replace and that's not good for the game -- especially in the 9 person game I was considering. But taking that concept and refining it what about...

Alternative Reads Mafia

1. The game will have posting as normal.
2. It will also encourage players to post two different types of posts for players to get reads: handwritten notes and youtube videos of the person talking about the game.

3. Each player gets 5 slots per game day. One slot can only be used for a handwritten message, one slot can only be used for a youtube video, and the other three slots can be used for either or an audio clip.
5. A player may only use up one slot per real time day.
6. At any point before the game day ends, a player may send a PM to the mod with the slots he's using. (e.g. "I posted a handwritten note, two video clips, and an audio clip).

7. A handwritten note is worth 1 point. An audio clip (either video without showing the person's face or just audio) is worth 3 points. A youtube video showing the person's face unobscured for at least 30 seconds is worth 5 points. To get the points, they must pertain to the game at hand in some manner.
8. Before the night begins, I will give one to three players power roles. This will be chosen using a random number generator, BUT the more points you had the previous day, the better chance you have to get it. So, if you had the maximum 21 points and other players combined had 79 points, you'd have a 21% chance of getting each power role. It may be possible to get more than one!

And that's the basics for the game. Obviously this violates the general "randomness=bad" concept, but I think it's worth it. It'll mean the setup is pretty swingy, but I think I can balance it so that each side has a reasonable chance... I may give the mafia some sort of point multiplier, and I may set up in advance the power roles that are given out in various situations (e.g. IF town < 8 AND scum > 2 THEN power role is cop; IF town > 10 AND scum < 2 THEN power role is one shot doctor) and it's possible I could make it so that town and scum get different powers (that may make more sense, but there's surely value in scum getting a town power role so that town can't use it).

The idea is to encourage players to post things that could give opponents more opportunity to scum read beyond just typed text but not force everyone to do it on a time table and allow multiple means of doing it. For example, no player would be forced to show their face, which I think some players are hesitant to do, but it'll reward those who do.

Thoughts?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2715 (isolation #27) » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:32 am

Post by zoraster »

Team Mafia

I haven't entirely thought this through, so this is definitely as the "gestation" phase, and won't be run immediately. I don't usually post ideas that aren't thought through at least to some degree, but I think this game requires input from the beginning.

The pitch

1. Everyone gathers with teams of four people, picking one captain.
2. Four open games are run at the same time (perhaps identical, perhaps not)
3. The team captain must choose one player from her team to put into each of the games.
4. The roles assigned to each player are randomly generated as normal.
5. Teams are in charge of finding their own replacements. (perhaps a small penalty if the mod has to do it for them)
Not sure about this one:
Teams can talk via a QT during their games to offer help, etc. (I'm leaning toward yes on this rule because it makes the teams more teamlike, though it comes with some negatives)
7. A point system at the end is used to determine the winning teams (perhaps just +1 for each win, but possibly also something to do with how close the victories and defeats were).
8. There may be a "solo" player sign-up where unaffiliated players get paired with each other or teams with only 2 or 3 players.

Thoughts?

My major concerns are:
1. If teams are known, it might make people in one game decide to do something that isn't what they'd normally do. For example, if it's lylo and you have a choice between a pretty scummy person who's on a team that's not really in contention for winning the whole thing and a pretty town person who's on your rival team, you might choose to lynch the town player because even if you pick wrong, at least the other person won't get a victory. The only way I really see of fixing this is to make teams unknown, but that takes some of the fun away from it and people might still guess. (e.g. If I had the choice between lynching VP Baltar and [horrible VI here] then I might choose VP because his team is more likely to hurt mine).

2. Getting enough teams. If this doesn't get at least half of its teams as preformed groups of friends, etc. then I think it's not really worth running. The alternative is to do something like have a big signup (say 52 players for 4 13 player games) and then have people rank their top choices as a sort of "team invitational" thing, but I like the idea of people picking their own team directly.

I'm sure there are some other concerns that would have to be addressed, but as I said -- this isn't a fully formed idea. Right now it's not a theme I'd consider running, but like many of my ideas it's a possible seed for growth.
Last edited by zoraster on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2717 (isolation #28) » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:41 am

Post by zoraster »

gandalf5166 wrote:I think that I know at least ONE team that would form itself(CAPS LAWKE ALLIANCE), and 1 just looks like one of those things that would naturally happen from a game like this, and would be good, if you ask me. The real problem is: what if players from the same team are parts of different factions? You might have people selling out their scumteam because there are more town from their team in the game than than scum, etc.
Oh no. I think you didn't read it all the way or I didn't make it clear.

There are four person teams. Four games are run. The captain picks one person from his team to put into each game.

So you never have people on the same team in your game.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2721 (isolation #29) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:15 am

Post by zoraster »

AurorusVox wrote:
zoraster wrote:My major concerns are:
1. If teams are known, it might make people in one game decide to do something that isn't what they'd normally do. For example, if it's lylo and you have a choice between a pretty scummy person who's on a team that's not really in contention for winning the whole thing and a pretty town person who's on your rival team, you might choose to lynch the town player because even if you pick wrong, at least the other person won't get a victory.
I dunno, I kinda think that this is what would make your Team Mafia idea different and interesting. Yes, the potential for throwing games exists, but isn't that kinda the point? How
do
people deal with the temptations of corruption? Also I'm not even sure throwing a game is a viable strategy, because if you voted for the less scummy person, you're giving yourself a loss too. The corollary of "at least the other person won't get a victory" is that if they win this game, so would you.
Well, not quite. Unless a person has been totally cleared, in a 2v1 lylo if you have two choices and one is scummier than the other, if your scumdar is good then picking the summier person is probably going to win the game, what? 70% of the time?

So let's say a win gets you 10 points. If you vote for the townier person who's on your rival team, then the expected value of your vote is 3 points for you, versus 0 for him (no way the person can win). If you vote the other way, your expected value is 7 points for you and 10 for him. So in this example, that's a six point swing for you voting your rival or not.

That said you bring up an interesting point: it's possible that that team dynamic would be part of what makes the game intriguing. Still, I don't think that having players play less toward scum hunting and more toward what team each person is on will be a great thing. Instead, simply don't list the teams. People might be able to figure out some teams, but that's probably okay.

Alternatively, I could design a system of points that discourages it (e.g. your team gets more points for hammering a win) but that has problems too.
Faraday wrote:I'd so play this. Not sure about open games over a mini normal but. I'd play this. The QT between teams would be pretty cool too.
Well I had a couple of reasons for saying open. First, if I keep the games identical, they should probably be open... although there is something cool about the communication between teams trying to figure out what the setup in one game is by the setup of another.

Second, if the games weren't identical, I liked the idea of a captain trying to place players in games they'd excel at. For example, place one person in near mountainous, place another in wild PR game according to their strength. But I could get around this by providing a summary of what to expect in the game (e.g. "This is a game with strong power roles", "This is a double day game")
Last edited by zoraster on Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2723 (isolation #30) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:01 am

Post by zoraster »

Faraday wrote:
Second, if the games weren't identical, I liked the idea of a captain trying to place players in games they'd excel at. For example, place one person in near mountainous, place another in wild PR game according to their strength. But I could get around this by providing a summary of what to expect in the game (e.g. "This is a game with strong power roles", "This is a double day game")
I don't even think you'd need a captain, really. Players in teams would in theory work well together and probably be able to decide what they're good at themselves. Idea has merit though, definitely. I sort of like the idea of different set-ups as to me figuring out the set-up is one of the most fun parts of mafia.
Yeah. I intended for there to be discussion between teams on who went where, but I liked the captain aspect because 1) as a mod it means I'm just going to one person to get their player list and 2) it makes it feel more "teamy"
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2724 (isolation #31) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:55 am

Post by zoraster »

Is it a problem that because of the small size one team might be assigned to scum 3 or 4 times ( 52% and 4% chance of at least one team getting that, respectively in 4 3v10 games) and the game is balanced 50/50?

Theoretically it shouldn't be. If you win a scum game, you're better off because fewer other teams will have also gotten points. If you lose it, though, more of your opponent teams will get the points.
Last edited by zoraster on Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2730 (isolation #32) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:37 pm

Post by zoraster »

xvart wrote:Zoraster - this sounds epic. I wonder how it would work if there were different game variants: 1 Open, 1 Mountainous, 1 Normal (for three player games) so then the teams could place who they thought operates best in each game type. I love the idea of the QT discussion between games.
Yeah actually that's what I'm thinking of doing (different games). I've PMed a couple of people, but I don't want to give anything away just yet. So stay tuned.
Last edited by zoraster on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2733 (isolation #33) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:59 pm

Post by zoraster »

I try :)
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2737 (isolation #34) » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:15 am

Post by zoraster »

quadz08 wrote:this may be difficult, but you'll probably want to come up with a way to reward individual's play, not just factional victory. Otherwise, you'll have the team of lucky bastards where 3 players sucked, but their faction won, so hey came in 2nd or something.
It's hard to do that without getting very subjective. I've thought about doing an MVP award for each game, but I'm wary of doing anything that calls for me as a mod to decide who wins and who loses after the fact.

Right now I'm waiting on permission from mith to run this game as he has some concerns. Other items are starting to line up for it.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2740 (isolation #35) » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:48 am

Post by zoraster »

Faraday wrote:Idk if you need additional reward. Reward = you win the game, and hopefully get your team-mates to win the game too, getting as many wins as possible for your team.

Unless I'm not understanding something >_>
Well I have considered adding a point (worth maybe 1/5th or so of a regular win) for being alive on the winning side in lylo and likewise subtracting a point for being alive on the losing team of lylo. The purpose is to discourage "strategic" voting in lylo situations based on what team a player's on.

I've also considered adding more points the larger the margin of victory, but I don't know.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2742 (isolation #36) » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:53 am

Post by zoraster »

Faraday wrote:That might make players play sub optimally to try and avoid a nightkill, I don't know I think it's best to keep it relatively simple for the moment.
Well that's why there's a negative point for surviving and losing.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2745 (isolation #37) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:09 am

Post by zoraster »

Herodotus wrote:
zoraster wrote:if the games weren't identical, I liked the idea of a captain trying to place players in games they'd excel at. For example, place one person in near mountainous, place another in wild PR game according to their strength. But I could get around this by providing a summary of what to expect in the game (e.g. "This is a game with strong power roles", "This is a double day game")
Sending the role to the team before they choose which team member will play in each game will allow more tailored player selection.
That's a very interesting idea I hadn't even considered! My first reaction is that I like it, although I'll need to give it some thought of course.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2748 (isolation #38) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:29 am

Post by zoraster »

scum could play too: "well, his team knows that Zoraster is usually a VI who survives until end game, so they probably gave him one of their PRs!"
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2752 (isolation #39) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:34 pm

Post by zoraster »

yeah, kind of essential to the operation :)
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2754 (isolation #40) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Post by zoraster »

Yeah, and I'm not a big fan of adding hydras to the game. Easier is just to do the same size. There's plenty of flexibility in that. Right now I already have SpyreX signed up to do a PYP mini game (he'll just design so he can play), dramonic is going to do one of his "crazy" mini games with my help, and then I think I'm going to do a closed normal and white flag mountainous. I think that's a pretty good spread of game styles.

The rub is that mith has had reservations about this plan (he doesn't want other mods to feel like I'm skipping the queue and just want to run 4 mini games), so I'm trying to work out a way to satisfy everyone and make this work well for all involved.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2800 (isolation #41) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:47 pm

Post by zoraster »

Just a quick floating of an idea, not really planning on running this any time soon. If someone likes it enough, they're more than welcome to claim it. I think it's an interesting little idea, good for someone who wants to run a very simple theme game that'll still have some intriguing effects.

Dichotomy Mafia

Each night the mafia is given a choice of two people to kill. If possible, one will be a power role and the other will be a vanilla townie. The mafia must have every player as an option once before having any player repeat.

Town should probably have roughly half VTs, half PRs. The rule about seeing each player at least once as an option supercedes the 1PR/1VT rule.
Last edited by zoraster on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2802 (isolation #42) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:51 pm

Post by zoraster »

animorpherv1 wrote:
zoraster wrote:Just a quick floating of an idea, not really planning on running this any time soon. If someone likes it enough, they're more than welcome to claim it. I think it's an interesting little idea, good for someone who wants to run a very simple theme game that'll still have some intriguing effects.

Dichotomy Mafia

Each night the mafia is given one of two people to kill. If possible, one will be a power role and the other will be a vanilla townie. The mafia must have every player as an option once before having any player repeat.

Town should probably have roughly half VTs, half PRs.
Not a bad idea. Would the players for killing be randomized?
Could be. But I might not as it provides a great opportunity to provide some anti-swing to the game. For example, if you want the game to have a vigilante to the very end, you'd put them as the last PR option.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2804 (isolation #43) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:55 pm

Post by zoraster »

well, what i'd do is before the game is started have a list that's something like:

Power Roles:
1. Mason 1
2. Doctor
3. Vigilante
4. Cop
5. Mason 2

And then just cycle through those once. When everyone has been "seen" as a chance once, possibly let scum choose at will? (those were just the first PRs I thought of, not a suggestion).
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2807 (isolation #44) » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:23 am

Post by zoraster »

Mr. Flay wrote:
I can't put my finger on it, but
I don't like Dichotomy AT ALL. You're doing at least half of the PR-hunting for the scum, and it actually increases the swing in a lot of ways (Oh, I'm sorry that the Cop claimed D2 and you hit the Townie instead of the Doc... you'll have to wait until Day 7 to kill the Doc now).

If you could work up a PR list that had absolutely zero synergy within it, AND could reliably rank them from least effective for town to most effective for town, then maybe.
Yeah, that is the problem with it: it means if you miss on getting the PR you have to wait a long time before getting another shot. If I did it, i might include a scum role that allows the scum to repeat the choice the next day or sometihng once in the game.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2811 (isolation #45) » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:41 am

Post by zoraster »

Herodotus wrote:
Mr. Flay wrote:Ah, my mistake. Been a while since I looked at that game. So town thought THEY were a no-nighttalk scum group, at first?
Their role PM's suggested that their scumbuddies might recruit them like traitors.

@zoraster: what about running dichotomy as a vanilla game - no PR's, but the mafia can only choose between 2 townies for their kill each night?
That's a very good idea, actually!

(For what it's worth, that's the second time in a couple of months you've made a suggestion to something I've had that I think is a profound improvement over my original. In other words, Kudos.)
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2815 (isolation #46) » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:04 am

Post by zoraster »

Tragedy wrote:Cartoon Mafia, a BASTARD MOD. :O
generally speaking the test market is to bounce ideas off of people, not a place to announce your intended games.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2845 (isolation #47) » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:58 pm

Post by zoraster »

Hoppster wrote:
comparethemeerkat.mafia

An idea based on the TV adverts and the comparethemeerkat.com website.

I believe that the advertising is only inside the UK, so non-UK people may not get it/see the appeal (heck, some UK people probably don't). I however think it's quite funny. Some of the TV ads can be found on the website here.

Mafia would be Mongooses (Mongeese?), obviously. All/most roles would be generated using the 'Find a Meerkat' search/generator on the website. Even if not actually provided with fake-claims, Mafia could generate their own. :P

Otherwise I guess it would be fairly standard mechanics. Not really sure what special mechanics that are meerkat-based that I could implemment.
You need at least one watcher.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2878 (isolation #48) » Fri May 06, 2011 12:05 pm

Post by zoraster »

Buy and Sell Your Fate

Currently on hold

This is easily the most complicated game I’ve ever proposed running. It uses a resource system that will not be unfamiliar to those who have played Settlers of Catan, but let me assure you it is not “Settlers Mafia.” It is a setup that requires teamwork, insight, resource management, and trading. It’s designed to be a 20 player game.

I will take pre-ins for this, but please note that all my attention will be spent on Team Mafia over the next couple of months, so it will probably be a while before this game ever sees the light of day

General Outline

The Draft and Plots of Land

There are six types of resources: Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo and Foxtrot resources. At the start of the game there will be a draft in the typical fashion. One player will get first pick in the first round, but the last pick in the second. One player will get the last pick in the first round, but the first pick in the second. In the draft, for each pick, the player will choose a plot of land.

There is one plot of land for each resource at each of the following numbers: 2,3,4,5,6,8,9,10,11 and 12 for a total of 40 plots of land. Thus, each player will get 3 plots of land. Note, there is no “7” plot.

The draft will take three days. Each day, each player will list his top 20 land plot choices for the draft and PM that to the mod. Please format this with a letter and the plot number. For example:
1. A8
2. D6
…will put your first choice as the Alpha 8 plot, and the Delta 6 plot as second.

If a player lists fewer than 20 land plot choices or doesn’t make any choices, the player will have the rest of his choices “auto-picked” for him in the following manner:

Spoiler: Autopick Rankings
1. A8
2. A6
3. B8
4. B6
5. C8
6. C6
7. D8
8. D6
9. A5
10. A9
11. B5
12. B9
13. C5
14. C9
15. D5
16. D9
17. A4
18. A10
19. B4
20. B10
21. C4
22. C10
23. D4
24. D10
25. A3
26. A11
27. B3
28. B11
29. C3
30. C11
31. D3
32. D11
33. A2
34. A12
35. B2
36. B12
37. C2
38. C12
39. D2
40. D12
41. E6
42. E8
43. F6
44. F8
45. E5
46. E9
47. F5
48. F9
49. E4
50. E10
51. F4
52. F10
53. E3
54. E11
55. F3
56. F11
57. E2
58. E12
59. F2
60. F12

Resource Production

At some point each real life day, two six sided die will be rolled to produce a number, 2-12. This will be done twice per day. Each plot of land that has that number will produce one of the resources. For example, if a 5 is rolled, then the 5 plot for Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo and Foxtrot will produce a resource.

Spoiler: Probabilities
2: 2.78% (1 out of 36)
3: 5.56% (2 out of 36)
4: 8.33% (3 out of 36)
5: 11.11% (4 out of 36)
6: 13.89% (5 out of 36)
7: 16.67% (6 out of 36)
8: 13.89% (5 out of 36)
9: 11.11% (4 out of 36)
10: 8.33% (3 out of 36)
11: 5.56% (2 out of 36)
12: 2.78% (1 out of 36)

The game will begin with three rolls of the die. Thereafter, each real life day the die will be rolled twice.

Echo and Foxtrot Resources

Echo and Foxtrot Resources are special. They are not used to directly produce anything, but may be traded as normal with the NPC for other resources, traded with other players, or used to buy plots of land after someone’s death.

Marketplace: Trades

By PMing the mod, you may place any of the following up for trade. You must specify the specific resources sought OR say a total number of resources. You may only sell an item or resource for resources, not other items.
1. Resources (A,B,C, D, E and/or F)
2. Plots of land
3. Abilities
4. Waiver Spot

For example, you might PM the mod with: “2 D resources and my D10 plot for 10 total resources.” Or you might say “My double voter ability for 3 A and 2 C resources.”

Once the trade is posted in the game thread, it will remain open for acceptance for twenty-four hours. At this point, one of the players who accepted the trade will randomly get the bid. If no player has accepted the bid, it will be removed from the marketplace.

Votes

Each player will start the game voting for another player (randomly assigned) but no player will be at “worse” than L-2.

Vote changes and unvotes cost either two C or one D resource. If a player makes a vote, they will automatically be assessed the cost in the following order: one D resource, two C resources. If they cannot cover the cost, 4 resources will automatically be taken at random from the player. If the player doesn’t have 4 resources, their vote will not count, they will be moved to the bottom of the waiver list, and 1 resource will be deducted at random.

The NPC Trader

Any player may use the NPC trader to trade some resources for another resource. Unmodified by abilities, it takes 4 total resources to trade for one specific resource. For example, you could trade 2 A, 1 C and 1 E resource for a single D resource.

Sevens and Deadlines

After the first five rolls of the game (3 beginning the game and 2 for the first day) the following things happen:
1. All players who have stockpiled more than six of a particular resource will have the excess resources given to the “thief.” At the beginning of the game, the robber is one of the scum.
2. The deadline counter is adjusted. When four sevens have been rolled in a game day, one more die roll will be made and then day will end in 24 hours. If the Day ends without a majority of players voting for a player, there is a no lynch.

If the Day Ends Quickly

If the day ends quickly, either by a fast lynch or reaching 4 sevens rolled, additional roles will be made. The number of roles will be determined by the following formula: 25-number of rolls already made that day-number of already dead players. For example, if on Day 2 twelve rolls have already been made and there are four dead people, there will be 25-12-4 for 9 additional rolls.

Death and the Waiver System

When someone dies (by lynch or NK), their resource plots will be put up for sale for 24 hours. Each player may attempt to buy precisely one of the resource plots at a time (even if there are more than one people dead). At the end of the 24 hours, the player who is highest on the waiver list will get to buy the resource plot. Each player who successfully buys a plot will move down to the bottom of the waiver list.

The cost of the plots is as follows:
Spoiler: Costs
2 and 12: 1 of any resource
3 and 11: 2 of any resource
4 and 10: 3 of any resource
5 and 9: 4 of any resource
6 and 8: 5 of any resource

The waiver system initially starts set as the opposite to the draft order, so the last pick of the first round gets the top waiver spot.

At death, all abilities and resources are lost. If at the end of 24 hours, the plots are unclaimed, the plot is lost forever.

Building an ability

The game has many abilities that may be produced by spending your resources. Each has a unique cost. To build an ability, simply PM the mod with the ability you want built.

The Ability List

This is a preliminary list, and has not be balanced yet. It’s meant more to give an idea of what types of roles might be in the game than to actually list them. Mostly I need to sit down and actually think about how fast any individual role is achievable.

Voting Abilities

1. Delayed Vote (x2)
Cost: 1 Delta
Info: This ability gives you two votes to spend for the price of one. However, they may not be used or sold within 72 hours of being produced. You may sell the delayed votes together or separately.

2. Ghost Voter
Cost: 1 Alpha, 3 Charlie, 4 Delta
Info: This ability allows you to use an alt-account (one will be given to you) to vote. This will allow you to effectively have double voting powers without allowing other players to know it is you. Please note that it will still cost you one Delta or two Charlie resources for every vote your ghost voter makes. The ghost voter may do nothing EXCEPT vote. It is suggested you use a different browser when posting on the ghost voter account. This ability may only be used once (i.e. you may not have multiple ghost voters running around).

3. Increase Lynch Threshold
Cost: 1 Alpha, 2 Bravo, 1 Charlie, 4 Delta
Info: This ability increases the number of votes required to lynch you by one. Only works for the present day. Can be stacked.

4. Deadline Extension
Cost: 1 Bravo, 2 Charlie, 2 Delta
Info: Increases the number of “seven” rolls to trigger the deadline by one. May be stacked.

Resource Production Abilities

1. Lucky Sevens
Cost: 1 Alpha, 2 Bravo, 3 Charlie
Info: When a seven is rolled from now on, you receive a specific resource. You must specify in your PM to the mod asking to build this ability what resource you want to be created when a seven is rolled.

2. Thief
Cost: 2 Charlie
Info: This takes the “thief” away from whoever had it last. Any time a seven is rolled while you are the thief means that all players who have more than 6 of a particular resource have the excess given to you. Each thief is assured at least one roll before another player is allowed to become the thief.

3. Security System
Cost: 2 Alpha, 2 Bravo, 5 Charlie, 2 Delta
Info: Prevents the Thief from taking your excess resources.

4. NPC Trader Upgrade 1
Cost: 1 Alpha, 1 Bravo, 2 Charlie, 1 Delta
Info: The NPC trades at a 3:1 ratio now.

5. NPC Trader Upgrade 2
Cost: 1 Alpha, 1 Bravo, 4 Charlie, 1 Delta
Info: The NPC trades at a 2:1 ratio now.

6. NPC Trader Upgrade 3
Cost: 2 Alpha, 2 Bravo, 4 Charlie, 2 Delta
Info: The NPC trades at a 1:1 ratio now.

7. Negotiation Level 1
Cost: 2 Bravo, 3 Charlie (+ usage cost)
Info: Once you have this ability, at a cost of 1 Charlie per use and a maximum once per game day, a QT will be set up for you and a target (PM the mod to set it up). You may negotiate a trade directly with the other person. Other players will not be aware that you have made the trade. You may trade anything you want for anything else. The QT will last for 72 hours and then will be shut down.

8. Negotiation Level 2
Cost: 2 Bravo, 2 Charlie
Info: You may now set up two negotiations per game day and negotiations no longer cost resources. The negotiations (and the QTs) last until the end of the game day.

Killing Roles

NOTE: Mafia is factionally limited to two kills per night. No two weapons may be used by the same player in the same night.

1. Knife
Cost: 2 Alpha, 1 Bravo
Info:

2. Gun Level 1
Cost: 4 Alpha, 1 Delta
Info: A gun always kills. It can only shoot once per night. The musket requires bullets.

3. Gun Level 2
Cost: 8 Alpha, 1 Bravo, 1 Charlie, 1 Delta (or 5 Alpha, 1 Bravo, 1 Charlie, 1 Delta to upgrade from Gun Level 1)
Info: This gun shoots twice per night. It still requires bullets. You may only shoot one gun per night.

4. Regular Bullets
Cost: 1 Alpha
Info: These bullets are normal. They kill things.

5. Armor Piercing Bullets
Cost: 2 Alpha
Info: Bulletproof vests and doctors do not prevent someone shot by an armor piercing bullet from dying.

6. Dissolving Bullet
Cost: 2 Alpha
Info: Forensic Scientists and Watchers are unable to tell who shot the victim.

7. Poison
Cost: 5 Alpha
Info: One dose of poison. It kills someone not that night but the following one. Undetectable by trackers, watchers, or forensic scientists. Does not show up as a gun to the gunsmith. Curable by a doctor if treated either night.

Investigative Abilities

1. Gunsmith
Cost: 2 Alpha, 4 Bravo
Info: The gunsmith sees whether a player owns a gun. Investigates at night.

2. Tracker (one shot)
Cost: 1 Alpha, 2 Bravo
Info: The tracker will track a player at night and report on who that player visited.

3. Tracker
Cost: 2 Alpha, 3 Bravo
Info: The tracker will track a player at night and report on who that player visited.

4. Paranormal Investigator (one shot)
Cost: 2 Bravo, 2 Delta
Info: Identifies one “Ghost Voter” account.

5. Watcher (one shot)
Cost: 1 Alpha, 3 Bravo
Info: Identifies anyone who visited a player that night.

6. Forensic Scientist (one shot)
Cost: 3 Alpha, 4 Bravo
Info: Identifies who knifed or shot a player from the night before.

7. Corporate Espeonage (one shot)
Cost: 2 Bravo, 2 Charlie
Info: Identifies who a player entered into negotiations with the previous day and what was exchanged.

8. Cop with a Warrant (one shot)
Cost: 1 Alpha, 4 Bravo, 1 Charlie, 1 Delta
Info: Identifies everything that a player currently holds including resources, plots of land, their position on the waiver, and abilities.

Protection Abilities

1. Bulletproof (one shot)
Cost: 2 Alpha, 2 Bravo
Info: Protects against one gunshot wound.

2. Doctor (one shot)
Cost: 2 Alpha, 2 Bravo
Info: Protect another player from death.

Misc. Ability

1. The Winner
Cost: 12 Alpha, 12 Bravo, 12 Charlie, 12 Delta
Info: You win an individual win. Everyone else loses. Not available if you have held the Thief role at any time.
Last edited by zoraster on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2880 (isolation #49) » Fri May 06, 2011 1:43 pm

Post by zoraster »

GreyICE wrote:Seems more like a mish-mash thing.

no.

There's a mafia, a town, a majority lynch mechanic that, though alterable, should favor an uninformed majority over an informed minority, a night where the informed minority can probably put together a night kill.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2884 (isolation #50) » Fri May 06, 2011 1:55 pm

Post by zoraster »

GreyICE wrote:
zoraster wrote:
GreyICE wrote:Seems more like a mish-mash thing.

no.

There's a mafia, a town, a majority lynch mechanic that, though alterable, should favor an uninformed majority over an informed minority, a night where the informed minority can probably put together a night kill.

No, I mean it would be more fun in Mish Mash.

Let people form alliances, break alliances, backstab each other, that sort of thing. Let them buy things like a neighborizor role to use to communicate with their "allies." Trade resources. Etc.

Maybe give people a 'secret group?' Five groups of 3 or sth, and win if two specific groups are eliminated?

1 -> Kill 4+5
2 -> Kill 3+5
3 -> Kill 2+4
4 -> Kill 3+1
5 -> Kill 2+1

If you read the setup you can see that they can trade resources (and land plots and abilities), they can buy things like neighborizors (see "negotiation 1").

As for the rest, I like this fitting into a game of mafia. It gives direction to the game, and my intention isn't to make some sort of LOL game.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2885 (isolation #51) » Fri May 06, 2011 1:56 pm

Post by zoraster »

animorpherv1 wrote:I'd agree with GreyICE, but I'd check it through mith. There have been several mafia games run through TWSOGMM, and they seem to fit into this category.

Again, no. This isn't even a borderline case. It is mafia.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2887 (isolation #52) » Fri May 06, 2011 1:59 pm

Post by zoraster »

animorpherv1 wrote:Whatever happened to "the dice have no place in mafia"?

Randomness is often a very BAD idea for a game of mafia, but it is not a disqualifier for it. The reason we dislike chance in mafia is that it tends to be very swingy because there are few iterations. For example, in a game where there are likely to be 4 nights, having a doctor who 50% of the time heals and 50% of the time kills is terrible because there's a fairly good chance he'll throw things off by killing 3 or 4 times out of the 4. In other words, the difference between winning and losing comes down to whether or not one or two coin flips come out your way or not. That's not fun.

Here, that's not the case. There are likely to be dozens of iterations so the actual swing will be fairly low. It's like a game of scrabble. If the game were to get 7 letters and play the highest score off of that, it'd be a bad indicator of skill. But played over many drawings, it IS an indicator.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2889 (isolation #53) » Fri May 06, 2011 2:12 pm

Post by zoraster »

animorpherv1 wrote:Honestly, nothing against you or the game idea (I actually quite like it. It could easily run as a Mish Mash, from my direction, if you just change around some of the abilities), but it looks to Mish Mash-ish for a Mafia games. The ability to buy and, upgrade and use what essentially are rewards has been used is Mish Mash before. Many times. It's being use din an ongoing game right now.

And yet I don't want to run it as a mish mash. I want to run it as a game of mafia, and I think it can work well there. I'll make the changes I need to in that direction, not toward Mish Mash. I have zero desire to turn this into mish mash.

What games are you referring to anyway? I'm aware that buying and selling isn't a new concept. But getting it to work within the framework of mafia is something that hasn't been done a lot before.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2892 (isolation #54) » Fri May 06, 2011 2:27 pm

Post by zoraster »

And all those games aren't mafia for reasons that have nothing to do with those mechanics. Nomic wasn't mishmash because there was buying and selling (that part of the game was player developed, from what I can tell), haunted mansion wasn't mish mash because its players used powers (this is a very confusing point since most games use powers), and 1000 blank white cards isn't in mish mash because there's trading.

They're in mish mash because there's not an informed minority versus an uninformed majority where the uninformed majority must try to eliminate the informed minority through voting and a majority (or plurality) lynch. Haunted Mansion comes closest, but that fails the lynching part.

I think the problem here is a fault in logic. A has C, and B has C and B is a D doesn't mean that A is a D. Just because there are similarities between my suggestion and many mish mash games doesn't mean that the game is a mish mash game.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2894 (isolation #55) » Fri May 06, 2011 6:08 pm

Post by zoraster »

animorpherv1 wrote:Technically, in the current ongoing 1KBWC there is a minority and a majority. If you want to be technical, no, it is not informed vs, uninformed.

But I strongly believe this game has more potential in Mish Mash because a game that involves all of the above has a high potential to confuse the players and make them focus on the mechanic more than the game.

Well the Alamo was fought between a minority and a majority, but they weren't playing mafia.

I think it's a fair criticism that it may be confusing, although I suspect that it won't be that confusing after walking through it. I suspect it seems a lot more complicated to those who have quickly read through the rules to comment on it here than it would actually play out. It's probably less confusing than my previous Trader Mafia, actually (a lot less math too). But still, it is a very complicated game. It's certainly not one that people who hate discussing the setup in a game would like. But several of my other games have been like that (Almost No Rules Mafia, Real Time Mafia, Parallel Universe Mafia, and to a lesser extent Pledge of Allegiance).

In any case, as I've said before, I am uninterested in running this as a mish mash game. It loses a considerable amount by turning it into something that's not mafia It unravels. The game is actually set up to be played as mafia which is why I reacted so vehemently to the suggestion that it's better suited for mish mash. It is not. Don't get me wrong: it is certainly DIFFERENT than most games of mafia that get played and requires some mish mash type of mentality as far as what rules do. But that doesn't mean its core isn't about finding and lynching scum or avoiding that fate.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2896 (isolation #56) » Fri May 06, 2011 6:34 pm

Post by zoraster »

animorpherv1 wrote:I understand where you are coming from, but I'm still worried about people focusing on the mechanic more than the scumhunting.

If you could put the rolls at the end of the day, this may solves the problem a little bit.

Many of the roles are night roles. The voting and resource ones aren't, for obvious reasons, but the investigation and killing ones all work at night.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2898 (isolation #57) » Sat May 07, 2011 4:42 am

Post by zoraster »

Variable cooldown times? You mean like Real Time Mafia? This isn't my first rodeo.

I suggest reading the setup before making such definite criticisms, GreyICE. I have become convinced the more I read your comments that you have very selectively skimmed the setup in order to try and win an argument as the comments seem to be divorced from either a holistic understanding of the setup or a specific understanding of many of its features. Not getting it all in the first reading is understandable given the breadth and complexity of the setup, but it makes it hard to have a real conversation about the game.

Voting and lynching play an integral part in the economics of the game. There are four abilities that have to do with either, and voting is perhaps the linchpin (har har) of the economic system, requiring that the town work together with resources (rather than hoarding) and trading. Regardless of THAT, the abilities themselves are in no way set. I point this out at the beginning of the abilities list when I say, "It’s meant more to give an idea of what types of roles might be in the game than to actually list them. "

I am certainly not "thinking that every interesting mechanic deserves a mafia game to go around it." Over the course of the 9 games I've finished moderating, I have considered and rejected at least as many as being not a good fit for mafia.

Take a step back and quell your continually patronizing attitude. It is as misplaced as it is insulting.

To be clear, there are certainly criticisms leveled that I understand and perhaps make it not worth the time. For example, ani's worry that it'll be too confusing and the game will devolve into just a bunch of mechanic discussion rather than scum hunting. That's something I worried about while making it, and it's something I'll continue to mull over before actually running a game with the setup above. What I tend to think is one of my strong suits as a moderator is restraint with a concept, and thus this setup makes me nervous on that front. But what I don't think is fair is your tone or your assumptions about my creative process, especially when you lack the proper understanding of the game.

Last and for the last time, I will not be running this game as a mish mash game. It will either get run as a mafia game or not at all.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3085 (isolation #58) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:34 pm

Post by zoraster »

have you read the prisoner's dilemma game from earlier?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3089 (isolation #59) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:45 pm

Post by zoraster »

Talk about a blast from the past:

1. Day 1 has a 6-week deadline. Day 2: 5 weeks. Day 3: 4 weeks. Day 4 and later: 3 weeks.

yowza.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3105 (isolation #60) » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:02 am

Post by zoraster »

For what it's worth, no reveal in PvZ doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Some quick ideas that would have to be built upon to make any sense:

1. Players plant sunflowers that produce to allow the use of certain abilities.
2. Figure out a "wave" mechanic
3. Invert the idea and make it ZvP. Mafia are hiding in the house and use plants
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3107 (isolation #61) » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:41 am

Post by zoraster »

Tragedy wrote:
zoraster wrote:For what it's worth, no reveal in PvZ doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Some quick ideas that would have to be built upon to make any sense:

1. Players plant sunflowers that produce to allow the use of certain abilities.
2. Figure out a "wave" mechanic
3. Invert the idea and make it ZvP. Mafia are hiding in the house and use plants

If you've ever played the game, in the Night, there's the fog stuff.
Option #3 made me go Mmmmmhmm..

I have played the game. It just seemed like a pretty tenuous connection to no reveal to justify putting in a mechanic that generally makes games less fun.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3205 (isolation #62) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:26 am

Post by zoraster »

Animal Rescue: dogs&catsPick

So I've been doing a lot of heavily mechanic based games this year: Court of the Gods, Strategy Mafia, and now Outwitted. Team Mafia was in some ways a departure from that, but not really since the whole concept was essentially a giant meta-mechanic.

I thought maybe I'd do something a little different. Basically the game is this: you sign up and you submit photos of any animals you have. If there's a story about how you got them or whatever, include that too as well as any breed info, etc.. I will then use the photos/stories to make a cohesive setup.

I don't know. Is there any interest in this? It'd probably be a 14-16 player game.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3207 (isolation #63) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:58 am

Post by zoraster »

awww Jack. You're such a good roleblocker (please note: this is not actually indication of what Jack would be)
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3213 (isolation #64) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Post by zoraster »

All right. Some time this week I'll sit down and think about how to structure it. I have a few ideas, but I need to flesh them out before I sign up for anything.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3257 (isolation #65) » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:05 pm

Post by zoraster »

what happens to town A when mafia A is dead, etc?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3261 (isolation #66) » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:19 pm

Post by zoraster »

I like it. Lots of things to think about, but the idea is good I think.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3283 (isolation #67) » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:45 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 3284, Mr. Flay wrote:You're missing any mechanism for ending the game, unless you just reskin it as a 'points' game where certain people are flagged as scum for when the bunker opens? Then it's like a No Reveal Nightless No Exit...

Minesweeper mafia. All players placed on a map. 2 points for every correctly flagged scum at the end of the game (may change during course of game), 1 point for flagging a scum as a question mark at the end of the game, -1 for flagging town with a ? mark at the end of the game, 2 points for selecting a town member who is town (and confirms player as town. player stays in game), -5 points and game ends if you pick a town member who is scum.

-1 point for every real life week that passes (timer).

Every time a town is selected and is town, the number of scum next to that player is displayed. No other investigative roles.

Game ends when either all players are flagged as scum or selected as town correctly OR whenever a scum member is selected as town.

If town have positive points at the end of the game, they win.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3289 (isolation #68) » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:03 pm

Post by zoraster »

relevant, but not the same.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3365 (isolation #69) » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:14 am

Post by zoraster »

zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3375 (isolation #70) » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:52 am

Post by zoraster »

What prevents D1 mass claim of partners? Scum may claim to be partners, but if their partner is lynched, they die the next day, obviously. And every time scum makes a kill, they confirm a town member as town. Likewise on any lynch on a town member.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3377 (isolation #71) » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:59 am

Post by zoraster »

well, actually there's a huge difference in how it plays out because this basically gives town a HUGE leg up. Mafia have to essentially spend two nights killing someone, and yet for every lynch town makes they either get (a) someone confirmed or (b) a mafia to lynch the next day.

I haven't run the numbers, but even with a large setup, you'd run into an auto town victory fairly quickly.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3415 (isolation #72) » Wed May 09, 2012 8:17 am

Post by zoraster »

The Gun In the Middle of The Room

You've been locked into a windowless white-washed room with 11 other people. Someone tried the door, but predictably, it was locked. In the center of the room, lying on a table, is a revolver with a single bullet in it.

Everyone spins around when a voice, loud and tinny, comes from the far corner of the room, where a hidden speaker is.

"Welcome, my friends. I've locked you in a room to test my initiates' cunning and resolve. You may choose one person among you to strangle with your bare hands. The lights will go off, and my initiates will in turn kill one of you. In addition, any of you may pick up that revolver and shoot another at any time. You will be released when either you have eliminated all of my initiates, one of my initiates tries to use the revolver, or you are all dead. May the power of the Mighty Purple Walrus protect your soul."

----
Description

This game is fairly normal with one major difference: at any point during the game, a player may post in the game
Kill: <target>
. If the person who typed that is town, the target will be killed. If the person who typed that is scum, the town wins. Here's the rub: there is only one bullet, so this can only be done one time. Scum have no way of interfering with the revolver shot.

There are no protective roles in this game. There are no additional killing roles.

It is a 12 player game.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3418 (isolation #73) » Wed May 09, 2012 8:25 am

Post by zoraster »

Maybe. Maybe not. It's part of the fun. Shooting on D1 is a very bad idea in most situations, though.

It's part of the tension: what's best for the town is probably to leave it off until mylo or the day before mylo since your odds of success are greatest. But a town member, whether under pressure or not, always has the choice to use the weapon and not only kill someone, but also in the process clear himself. And then if you think someone under pressure is likely to shoot you, you might be tempted to use the weapon before he does.
Last edited by zoraster on Wed May 09, 2012 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3422 (isolation #74) » Wed May 09, 2012 8:28 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 3421, quadz08 wrote:I umm

Don't really see the point.

Basically, you're saying that town gets an extra lynch on a day of their choosing, sort of. It's kind of a cool idea, but won't actually affect gameplay that much.

I don't think that's true at all. Maybe if town is good and manages to control their members this is what happens, but that's a tough ticket to punch.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3423 (isolation #75) » Wed May 09, 2012 8:28 am

Post by zoraster »

how is the fact the person becomes an innocent child make it " not different" obviously that's what he becomes. So what?
Last edited by zoraster on Wed May 09, 2012 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3427 (isolation #76) » Wed May 09, 2012 8:32 am

Post by zoraster »

Again, maybe someone does derpishly use it day 1. The incentive is there for an individual, but the game will obviously be balanced toward an ideal use of the weapon.

Again, this is part of the interest to me. That tension between using it now before someone else can and using it later when it helps town a whole lot more.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3430 (isolation #77) » Wed May 09, 2012 8:46 am

Post by zoraster »

I don't see why for the last part. Other than my statement of no killing roles, no protection roles, I don't have any intention of running it as an open.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3432 (isolation #78) » Wed May 09, 2012 8:52 am

Post by zoraster »

Unless I see a
very
compelling reason to run this in the open queue, it ain't going to happen. For one thing, it's my baby. I run it. And I run it where I please. For another, it obviously has flavor. And last, it's not an open game. It just has a known mechanic.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3434 (isolation #79) » Wed May 09, 2012 8:55 am

Post by zoraster »

Those tend to be the players attracted to my games anyway.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3436 (isolation #80) » Wed May 09, 2012 9:03 am

Post by zoraster »

Regardless, this game is somewhat down the road. Team Mafia will need to finish, then I'm running Always On Mafia, which should be.... interesting. And then I may get to this as my mini if I don't do Contract Mafia or something else instead.

Still, I'm very interested to see how it would turn out.

Picking the scummiest to shoot the second scummiest is a possibility, but the scummiest player then has no reason not to shoot whoever the heck he wants. If he disagrees the other person is scummiest, then he'll just shoot another person.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3438 (isolation #81) » Wed May 09, 2012 9:15 am

Post by zoraster »

"town sided" Oh? I mean, it's certainly a mechanic that favors town over straight mafia, but town
sided
?

If I ran the game as mountainous, would you really expect town to win more times than scum? I do not.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3442 (isolation #82) » Wed May 09, 2012 9:55 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 3441, quadz08 wrote:ummm
favoring town over mafia is actually what the word 'town-sided' means.

Not really. A setup that is "town sided" means that the town is more likely to win than scum.

My mechanic only means that
relative to the normal mechanic
town has a greater chance of winning. That in no way means that town is suddenly more likely to win than scum.

Without any power roles, the normal mechanic is wayyyyyyy scum sided at the numbers we play at (3v9, 3v10, 4v15, whatever). The chance of a town victory in 3v9 is 10.5% if town lynches randomly. We can argue all day whether players are better than random at lynching, but it'd be very hard to say that it doesn't favor scum a great deal.

So what I'm saying is that while my mechanic can help town, it alone doesn't make the setup town sided. Because I can simply not use as many or as powerful town power roles.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3443 (isolation #83) » Wed May 09, 2012 9:57 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 3442, Pine wrote:Actually, I feel that site meta has gotten pretty scum-sided, so I would think of a Town-sided setup as a refreshing change of pace.

At what point was it not scum sided? If anything, things have gotten better since we moved from a standard 12p game to a standard 13p game.

In any case, scum have always won a lot more than town here. Just check the records of people who have played a lot (e.g. SpyreX) and break down their stats by town and by scum.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3445 (isolation #84) » Wed May 09, 2012 10:05 am

Post by zoraster »

no problem.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3447 (isolation #85) » Wed May 09, 2012 10:54 am

Post by zoraster »

ahhh yeah. i just promised no protective roles so that the newly made innocent child dies the next night most likely and no killing roles to assure that people can decide how to use the gun optimally (if there's an extra vig thrown in, that throws things off a lot)
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3457 (isolation #86) » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:07 am

Post by zoraster »

yeah. you'd better explain what you mean before we can really answer the question.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3471 (isolation #87) » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:28 am

Post by zoraster »

@Deas: With the rate games are filling (even hito's game, which is Zoraster Certified(TM) as awesome, is only slowly filling... go sign up for that), there's little chance the game will start in July, Deas. I'm not even sure my Always On Mafia will start before August.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3482 (isolation #88) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:11 am

Post by zoraster »

I don't see a problem with it if you can get enough interest. By the time you sign up and go through the mini-normal queue, run a mini-normal, then sign up and get through the mini-theme queue, Vi's game will be a fairly distant memory anyway.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3488 (isolation #89) » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:17 am

Post by zoraster »

Seems like an opportunity for a cult game:

THE GREAT INFLUENZA

Every person is generated a set of demographics that are published for all to see.

One person starts infected and is the vector. His goal is remove all non-infected people from the game or infect them.

Each night he may try to infect someone. They either (a) become infected and die or (b) become infected and lives and becomes the vector. Which happens will be randomized depending on the demographic information. E.g. infants will die more readily than healthy adults. A newly infected but alive person joins the diseased team, but does not know who is on their team. That person is now the vector and must try to infect other players.

Each day, there MUST be a lynch.

The game is won by town if they lynch or kill the current vector. There are no autowin scenarios, the game must be played out to the end.

The game needs power roles to balance.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3491 (isolation #90) » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:02 am

Post by zoraster »

It is swingy. I don't think that's a bad thing.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3686 (isolation #91) » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:48 am

Post by zoraster »

Big is not good. people should stop trying to do this. a game should be as big as the concept needs or smaller, but it should never be the starting point "oh i want to run a 50 person game" is a terrible way to design a game.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3692 (isolation #92) » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:50 am

Post by zoraster »

The Long Game

All details subject to change

18p Large Theme

Each Round lasts at least 48 hours. During each round, a player may post exactly ONCE in the thread. They may at any time during that 48 hours PM the moderator to place their vote. At the end of the round, the vote total against each player will be announced (but not who voted for whom). There is no public voting (players may say who they're voting for, but are under no obligation to actually submit that to the moderator). If a player does not place their vote, their vote is not counted (i.e. it is not simply carried over from the previous round).

In addition to the vote count, each Round an Event Card will be drawn from a deck of 24 cards. These Events will affect various aspects of the game.

There are no deadlines. Players are lynched when they receive a majority of the total votes
placed

There will be a night and day section. There are night powers.

Somewhat complicated game that is by its nature pretty swingy as it is Event driven. I reserve the right to be very slightly bastard in order to make the event system work (though I promise there will be no alignment changes).

Not taking pre-ins at the moment as I want to make sure it's workable and get at least started with the review process, but I only want to do this if there's interest.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3699 (isolation #93) » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:20 pm

Post by zoraster »

well part of it may be due to the fact that Strategy Mafia, with 24 hour turn arounds felt far too much obligation and really ground people down.

I'm not sure I understand your second point? Yes, when someone reaches majority, they are immediately lynched.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3702 (isolation #94) » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:28 pm

Post by zoraster »

ohhhh. i see what you mean. yeah, i meant of the votes that are placed at the end of the round. i don't tally until then, but I see what
the technicality police
you mean
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3704 (isolation #95) » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:52 pm

Post by zoraster »

well right now as written it'd require a PM every day, which is pretty much the problem from strat mafia
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3767 (isolation #96) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:28 pm

Post by zoraster »

i think that could be pretty great if you did it with a mechanic that matched. upstairs/downstairs mechanic. let's talk.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3780 (isolation #97) » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:12 pm

Post by zoraster »

Currently Working On the Following:

In This Together
(Alt Title: The Key Party)

At the start of each Day, players are paired off with each other (odd man out goes solo). Various mechanisms control who gets paired off with whom, but they aren't assigned by alignment. Votes are placed against each couple, and at the end of the day, a couple is lynched (though each individual retains their own vote). Nights are spent alone.

It's a twist on a lover's game. The idea here is that you have to evaluate people in pairs because you don't want to lynch
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3815 (isolation #98) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:40 am

Post by zoraster »

The Mafia Triathalon
(name is not certain)

27 players overall.

Game begins in 9 player subgames (Micro Size). Players are placed in these games randomly, but mafia has a certain number of "swaps" they can make before the games are posted. Each game has a lynch. At the end of the day for each game, the lynch is carried out and then the thread is moved so that players can no longer see or refer to the thread (vote counts will be saved).

Nights last 3 days and all players may post in the "Night Thread." Night actions are consolidated: that is, the subgames are not relevant to night actions.

Day 2 will be broken into two subgames (Mini size). Same thing as above.

Day 3 will not be broken into subgames (Large Size).

The overall goal would be approximately 9 player D1, 11 player D2, 15ish player D3. From this point forward, the game will not be wiped clean.

---

There was talk recently about how Day 1s have gotten out of hand, especially for large games, and how this tends to narrow the percent of players that can actually contribute. This tries to alleviate that by providing a "large game" feel in terms of the breadth of players, but a small game feel in terms of the Day play.

The Triathalon aspect is that it requires all three styles of game to play: Micro to start, Mini in Day 2, and then a large before going back .

Take note that Day 1 and 2 are essentially deleted, which is an attempt to make it so that players don't have to go back and reread games they weren't involved in before.
---
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3819 (isolation #99) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:12 am

Post by zoraster »

oh local copies can be made for sure, and beyond me going through the pain of getting separate forums and access etc. there's no way to stop that. But I won't allow quoting from prior games or provide others their version of the game. I think this will actually serve as a very significant practical -- if not theoretical -- barrier. Anyone who was on the scummies judging committee who tried to read through the archived games from before the crash knows what a pain in the ass a reread it is to read these saved copies.

Having people be forced to read all three games (1) won't work and (2) defeats one of the purposes of the game. If people want to read along, that's fine. But I'm not going to try and create a system that really forces that issue.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3824 (isolation #100) » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:09 pm

Post by zoraster »

yeah. same game. the idea is mostly to stop what, for lack of a better word, i'll call game creep. If one of the driving ideas of the game was to try and provide a large game feel without the MEGAGAME25pagesin24hours thing in order to provide the player a richer experience, then making players follow along with two simultaneous games kind of defeats that purpose.

That stands in contrast, for what it's worth, to Team Mafia where part of the point was to get other people reading threads and the like.

anyway, I think while it may not be theoretically ideal to allow players to make local copies, it doesn't really bother me if I make it so that copies are for personal use only (i.e. prevent quoting or sharing of copies).
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3868 (isolation #101) » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:50 am

Post by zoraster »

i think that's a shame, but it's true.

also, it's okay for people to run games with the same theme. You don't want to steal someone else's thunder, but really. it's okay. There's room for more than one harry potter mafia.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3954 (isolation #102) » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:07 pm

Post by zoraster »

The problem is that there's a cost to saying, "no" to it.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3957 (isolation #103) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:47 am

Post by zoraster »

someone comes to you and says, "here is the thing that i wrote that makes fun of you. can i use it in my game?" there is a cost to saying "no you can't use that." You look like you can't take a joke at your expense, and knowing Reck, it's unlikely to come without some pressure.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3960 (isolation #104) » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:03 am

Post by zoraster »

The commune is not a monolithic entity. Regardless, I don't think I'm somehow out of line approaching this with some caution considering recent history, quadz. That said, I anticipate that such a game would be fine regardless of approval mechanism, not just because the commune is full of people who all take jokes really well but because I expect that such jokes would be made with less malice.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”