The I don't play anymore thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:05 am

Post by Nikanor »

TheButtonmen wrote:
Nikanor wrote:I love the /in-vitationals.
I on the other hand am still bitter about them.
If you want to be in a game with a good playerlist, you should do your best to decide whether you'd enjoy playing with each and every person on the list and blacklist them if they tend to wear their ass on their head. My dislike list was about 15 people long because I went through the work to ensure I'd be placed in a game with people I enjoy playing with (although it certainly helped that I'd already played with or modded all but ten of the players). The fact that you didn't do your homework is nobody's fault but your own.
I am in the bottom 10% of scumhunters onsite!
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:19 am

Post by mykonian »

as far as I know, TBM didn't have any problem with the player list, he had problems with the game being destroyed by
someone else
who didn't do their homework.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:53 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

Yes.
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:08 am

Post by Nikanor »

I really expected nothing different out of that player than what I saw in that thread. I can't see why anyone would not block him, though. >_>
Fate
Fate
:HAPPY:
Fate

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:10 am

Post by Fate »

STOP BEING VAGUE WITH YOUR PRONOUNS CANADIAN SCUM.

YOU HAD ME ON YOUR /WANT LIST DONT BE ASHAMED
Fate is absurdly beautiful. 運命に弄ばれる
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:14 am

Post by Nikanor »

I
Nikanor wasn't talking about
you
Fate, obviously.
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:19 am

Post by Fate »

I know, but that wasn't clear to the rest of the class. >_>b
Fate is absurdly beautiful. 運命に弄ばれる
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:42 am

Post by CSL »

TheButtonmen wrote:Yes.
Explain.
Show
"I can't kill my own best friend, especially when I can't do shit at all!" - Tragedy

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

V/LA from Mafia on weekends. Sorry!
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:46 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

The yes was responding to the preceding post.
mykonian wrote:as far as I know, TBM didn't have any problem with the player list, he had problems with the game being destroyed by
someone else
who didn't do their homework.
I didn't have a problem with the player list, I did have a problem with one of them throwing a godamn fit and pissing on the game rather then replacing out or sucking it up.
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:47 am

Post by CSL »

CSL wrote:
TheButtonmen wrote:
I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess that it's my fault that your so bitter about them.

I blame hohum entirely for that. I've already discussed with Fate.
Show
"I can't kill my own best friend, especially when I can't do shit at all!" - Tragedy

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:49 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Vi wrote:
What if we had another newbie-esk forum that wasn't a filter at all, but was actually devoted to learning about mafia theory?
We can make it accessible from the main page... A simple name for it would be "Mafia Discussion". :shifty:
When I first read the quote about another forum, I thought the meaning was for a Game forum, not a Discussion forum. I could get behind the idea of a Teaching Game forum (the idea being that Newbie Games acclimate new players to this particular website's whys and wherefores, and Teaching Games would be more about analytical theory and learning; an intermediate step, if you will, between Newbies and Everything Else).
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:51 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Mr. Flay wrote:I've never seen people refuse to explain what you did 'wrong' after the game (and really, most people will explain why they're lynching/copping you in-game). Of course, that's a little slower...
Retired as of October 2014.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:06 am

Post by The Fonz »

Nobody Special wrote:
Vi wrote:
What if we had another newbie-esk forum that wasn't a filter at all, but was actually devoted to learning about mafia theory?
We can make it accessible from the main page... A simple name for it would be "Mafia Discussion". :shifty:
When I first read the quote about another forum, I thought the meaning was for a Game forum, not a Discussion forum. I could get behind the idea of a Teaching Game forum (the idea being that Newbie Games acclimate new players to this particular website's whys and wherefores, and Teaching Games would be more about analytical theory and learning; an intermediate step, if you will, between Newbies and Everything Else).
You could have a newbie questions sticky rather than a whole forum.
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:54 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Nobody reads stickied threads.
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
ZeroFang
ZeroFang
Goon
ZeroFang
Goon
Goon

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:31 am

Post by ZeroFang »

Nobody Special wrote:
Vi wrote:
When I first read the quote about another forum, I thought the meaning was for a Game forum, not a Discussion forum.
That's exactly what I was talking about. A new forum for games devoted to learning how to play better rather than learning how to play.
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:39 am

Post by Elmo »

This is like a millimetre away from complains about elitism. Not that I don't think it's a good idea.
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:50 am

Post by Ectomancer »

Mr. Flay wrote:
Mr. Flay wrote:I've never seen people refuse to explain what you did 'wrong' after the game (and really, most people will explain why they're lynching/copping you in-game). Of course, that's a little slower...
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:31 am

Post by CSL »

CSL wrote:
CSL wrote:
TheButtonmen wrote:
I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess that it's my fault that your so bitter about them.

I blame hohum entirely for that. I've already discussed with Fate.
Not letting this go unanswered, TB.
Show

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

Maemuki
Maemuki
Mafia Scum
Maemuki
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:57 am

Post by Maemuki »

I really want to join this group now. I guess I don't want to play anymore. *le sigh.*
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:02 pm

Post by CSL »

Mae, no one's forcing you to play.
Show

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:03 pm

Post by Elmo »

Maemuki wrote:I really want to join this group now. I guess I don't want to play anymore. *le sigh.*
I want to want to. But I don't want to, as much as I try. :(
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:15 am

Post by Super Smash Bros. Fan »

Super Smash Bros. Fan wrote:Won't be quitting Mafia anytime soon, but school hit me big time as I'm not able to access the site as much.

I'll need to be in a lot less amount of games before I won't have to worry about not posting in a game.
Guess I'm going to have to retract this statement. I'll have to go into a somewhat permanent state of semi-retirement due to time constraint being too stringent. For more information on this, scroll down to the bottom of my post. It's been a great time playing Mafia, but it looks like my time as a regular player is coming to a close.
Zachrulez wrote:How can anyone quit mafia? It's like a drug you can't get enough of.
I'm not going to permanently quit Mafia, but I'm sure there are people who used to be super active on the site, but now have completely and totally disappeared from the face of the site. Example: armix. Once my ongoing game and Metropolis: Revelation has finished it's course, I will go inactive on the site very soon after with the exception of modding (Modding doesn't take up as much time as playing, so I'll be present in the community in some way or form).
SaintKerrigan wrote:I only have so much energy to devote to things in my life, and right now mafiascum is taking too much and not giving enough back. Definite sign that I need a break, at the least.
Now that I thought about it, this can apply to me as well. That's not to say remaining an active part of the Mafiascum community does not have it's benefits, but that when I think about it, it does not match up to the negatives.

+ I feel that I became accepted for who I was and not just an annoying person on the block. Back in 2008/2009, I felt isolated and not many people liked me. Mafiascum is one of the first forums that I didn't get a lot of flakes for due to my behavior. But that could be partly due to the fact that I improved my behavior on the Internet over the years.
+ It's a game of logic and I love games with logic. It's the first forum game I can honestly say was addicting and I've made some good (and bad) memories that I won't forget anytime soon.
+ I look at the Internet (And the world to a lesser extend) from a different perspective. Back in late 2008/2009/early 2010, I was a pretty stubborn person on the Internet on different forums and pissed off a few people, to the point where I got banned from a site three times. I also basically agreed with pratically everything with my grand mother, which meant I didn't have too much of my own opinion on the world. With this site, I saw my behavior have changed for the better and that I have more original opinions.

- I'm in three AP classes and one hard as hell Pre-AP classes. Unfortunently, I tend to get pretty frustrated with my Pre-AP class and lose focus in them in favor of this site. Basically, I put way too much priority on this site instead of those classes, which is
exactly
what you should not be doing, especially since I was known to be a diligent student in school. I was already smart enough to realize that being in ten games at a time was not a good idea. I tried cutting down games to four, that didn't cut my addiction to my satisfaction. I'm trying to stay in one game without put too much priority on this site and I still do. This is something I absolutely hate to do, but the only way I'll get back the desire to do my very best in school is for me to semi-retire from this site, only remaining active to mod. Hopefully I'll be back to playing during the summertimes.
- I'm planning on getting a job very soon. This is going to affect my time in Mafia even more then it already has, possibly to the point where I won't be make to make adequate amount of time to play. I'm placing emphaize on job over Mafia.

Three pluses and two negatives. Unfortunently, the negatives outweigh the positive, so I have no choice but to quit playing Mafia on a regular bases.
Friend
Friend
Mafia Scum
Friend
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:17 pm

Post by Friend »

I'll miss you SSBF :'(
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:35 pm

Post by JDodge »

ZeroFang wrote:
Mr. Flay wrote:I flat don't believe that the site is "dumb" right now.
There's a recent influx of players (all spring/summer 2010) that are very VI-ish. I used to be a common VI myself until I grew out of it, but the difference is that I tried to improve and did. I've modified almost everything about how I played the game in order to be a better player. A lot of these newer players in my generation don't, and refuse to change. They're the type of players to vote hop, not write cases, OMGUS vote, lurk, generally be idiots, and at the end of the day wonder what the hell they did that was so scummy. There are even a couple players that advertise themselves as VIs as if they're proud of it. I believe this is the cancer on MS JDodge is talking about, and yes, it's very frustrating when you can't get a read on half the players in the game because all they've done is voted a couple times and said "LOL y u voted me".
No, you can diagnose that. My issue is more with the so-called "good players" who've let their standards slip because they don't need to work too hard and/or find it pointless.

Note that I've decided only to play in games with heavily controlled playerlists chock full 'o people I can actually stand playing with as a bit of a compromise between not playing at all and SKULLFUCKING FRUSTRATION
Nikanor wrote:If you want to be in a game with a good playerlist, you should do your best to decide whether you'd enjoy playing with each and every person on the list and blacklist them if they tend to wear their ass on their head.
I and my Team Asshat brethren take great offense to this statement.
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
Sigma Devil
Sigma Devil
Watcher
Sigma Devil
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:02 am

Post by Sigma Devil »

Does it count if I've never played a game here but also "retired" from playing @ another forum though? :)
www.teamliquid.net

Return to “Mafia Discussion”