Including Oneself in Town Lists

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Terrion
Terrion
Townie
Terrion
Townie
Townie

Including Oneself in Town Lists

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:49 am

Post by Terrion »

This does not refer to an ongoing game; I was reading a completed game involving a town list.

(the game, town list, and discussion)

This isn't the first time I've seen somebody be accused of being scum specifically because they included themselves in a town list. Personally, I am against the validity of this as a tell, but I would like to hear out on the opinions of Mafia Discussion. Do you consider including oneself in a town list to be a scumtell, and why? There are two reasons for my belief: you are a confirmed townie to yourself, and site meta dictates this as suspicious.

Naturally, I'm only speaking of players that you don't have a meta read on.

Also, about the subject at hand, what do you see as the scum player motive for including themself within a town list, given site meta against this?
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:07 pm

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

I mostly include myself as neutral to avoid this. I don't like players who use a lot of math and statistics but don't include themselves as a possible scum, I think it's biased and slightly scummy.
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:14 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Meh. When I'm trying to find scum by process of elimination, I always use all the information I have, including the basic one which is "I know I am town." I may or may not explictly put myself on the town list, but it's always an implicit assumption I make in my calculations; I'll either list myself as town or just leave myself off the list completly.

I always find it odd when people pretend to not know their own alignment when doing that kind of scumhunting. Sure, it's not going to convince anyone else of my alignment, but it's always going to be a part of my thought process as town, might as well be honest about it.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:16 pm

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

Albert B. Rampage wrote:I mostly include myself as neutral to avoid this. I don't like players who use a lot of math and statistics but don't include themselves as a possible scum, I think it's biased and slightly scummy.
If you include yourself as possible scum in your analysis, your suspicions won't be as good as they could be - now that I would find scummy.

As regards to putting yourself in a town list, I don't think this is inherently scummy. If it's part of a pattern of purposefully calling yourself town, then it can be, but I don't think it is in general.
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
Sleepless Assassin
Sleepless Assassin
Mafia Scum
Sleepless Assassin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:20 pm

Post by Sleepless Assassin »

When it's YOUR reads, of course you're obvtown. Share or don't. It's up to the player.
3-2 as scum and 5-8 as town

Www.escapeintothemixradio.com/EMRchatroom.html come say hi
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:30 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

Usually if it's preceded by a comment like "From my POV, here is my analysis", then it's fine.

But like anything else in Mafia, the more contrived it looks, the scummier it is.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:43 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:If it's part of a pattern of purposefully calling yourself town, then it can be, but I don't think it is in general.
Meh, I just blatantly call myself town all the time. It freaks some people out, but I don't really care.
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:46 pm

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

There are always going to be exceptions, Yosarian.
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
Terrion
Terrion
Townie
Terrion
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:54 pm

Post by Terrion »

NOTE:
I wouldn't have anything against including myself in a town list. I think that if I'm stating my thought processes to the town, then I would do it, but if I'm trying to explain to the town what they should think, then I wouldn't include myself (although now that I say the latter, it sounds rather suspicious to tell the town what to think). I am just interested in the idea of whether or not it is a tell. Personally, I don't think it is biased to have inside knowledge as to my own role and thus to include it in a list of likely town.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:50 pm

Post by Vi »

Yosarian2 wrote:
Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:If it's part of a pattern of purposefully calling yourself town, then it can be, but I don't think it is in general.
Meh, I just blatantly call myself town all the time. It freaks some people out, but I don't really care.
I actually AM always blatantly Town :D

I think people who think including themselves in Town lists is a scumtell need to sign up for an appointment in a small office with a big red couch, but
KK Slider wrote:But like anything else in Mafia, the more contrived it looks, the scummier it is.
This is sage advice.

If you're doing some kind of analysis, you should always* include yourself as Town for the sake of biasing discussion in your favor.
If people want to do their own analysis, they can use their OWN assumptions.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:10 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

I cannot fathom of calling somebody scummy because they call themselves town. "Obvtown", maybe, but just because they put themselves lower than anybody else? Puh-lease.
Retired as of October 2014.
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:13 pm

Mr. Flay wrote:I cannot fathom of calling somebody scummy because they call themselves town. "Obvtown", maybe, but just because they put themselves lower than anybody else? Puh-lease.
If they are calculating the % chance of lynching scum for example and include themselves in a town list that is barred from lynching along with the claimed power roles, that is scummy
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:03 pm

Post by Faraday »

Depends on the player, I think, but usually null. I'm pretty sure I've called myself obvtown before in games, or maybe I just thought it.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:19 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Albert B. Rampage wrote:
Mr. Flay wrote:I cannot fathom of calling somebody scummy because they call themselves town. "Obvtown", maybe, but just because they put themselves lower than anybody else? Puh-lease.
If they are calculating the % chance of lynching scum for example and include themselves in a town list that is barred from lynching along with the claimed power roles, that is scummy
No it's not. It's the same reason you take vig shots night 0 in night start games (that and if you know any of the players from previous games you can save yourself vast amounts of headache with the right shot).

It's basic information theory. Every piece of information increases the usefulness of the information. If your role PM is green, you MUST include that in your personal analysis. If you are presenting your personal analysis to the town, modifying it to include some chance of you flipping scum is lying to the town. It's the one piece of information a vanilla townie starts the game with, and if you don't use it, you're no better than any other power role who never used their role.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:09 pm

You're wrong. It's the opposite. Removing yourself out of the equation as a lynch target for no reason people can distinguish, that is a little scummy. Maybe you need to re-read my post. I would make my town list along the lines of this:

"People we should definitely lynch today:

GreyICE
Yosarian
Mr. Flay

Players we could lynch today:

ABR
Faraday

Players we should not lynch today:

Terrion (claimed cop)
Vi (cop has innocent result on Vi)"

See, if you put yourself on equal footing with, claimed masons for example, that is a red flag. You should put yourself in the pro-town group or neutral group, but not in the "should not lynch" group. I hope that clarifies what I'm saying for you.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:36 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Oh, see when you started talking about percentages and odds, I thought you meant actual calculations, like when you've more or less devolved the game into a math puzzle through good/bad play (or, more often, really bad setups) and are attempting to shatter the setup. Those are often where the "hidden variable" that you know you're town comes in the most handy, because it's something that can be overlooked.

If we're talking like reads and stuff, yeah, I understand, but I don't stick my own name on my own reads.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:12 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Eh, I don't think it's scummy, but it's not worth anything to anyone outside of yourself either. (You're the only one who knows your town.)

It's usually for that reason that I won't include myself as town.
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:40 am

Post by Herodotus »

Vi wrote:If you're doing some kind of analysis, you should always* include yourself as Town for the sake of biasing discussion in your favor.
* Unless you're scum who is cross-bussing with your team's roleblocker, it's certain that one of you will be lynched, and you're doing a votecount analysis. In that case, leaving yourself as undetermined instead of town "so that you can continue with the analysis after I'm dead" could work.
Just because a majority of a group of people decide it's okay doesn't mean it's not murder. - Cobblerfone
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:42 pm

Post by ortolan »

tells aren't of the nature "if someone is wearing a green shirt, they're more likely to be scum"

how could you possibly validly analyse someone's psychology to the extent that "including oneself in a town list makes them more likely to be town/scum"

if you're playing mafia like this you're doing it wrong
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

Feel free to PM me to be ready in case I need a replacement.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:46 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Wow, I could hardly disagree with ABR more. If you're approaching lists from the sense of "we could do this", you're doing it wrong. Lists are for what YOU think, and you should never think you're scum (even if you are).
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:55 pm

Mr. Flay wrote:If you're approaching lists from the sense of "we could do this", you're doing it wrong.
It's a perfectly valid approach.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:57 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Again, I disagree completely. Groupthink can't be forced... arguments and debate are how you get the group to agree, not just declaring things to be so.
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:15 pm

The declaration underlines the debate, it doesn't replace it.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:17 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Really, the only time I'd make the kind of list ABR is talking about is if I think we're in a situation where I can literally break the game by having a majority of confirmed townies and just lynching everyone else. In that case, I'll happily put myself in the "group of people to lynch" category.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:54 pm

Post by Vi »

Yosarian2 wrote:Really, the only time I'd make the kind of list ABR is talking about is if I think we're in a situation where I can literally break the game by having a majority of confirmed townies and just lynching everyone else. In that case, I'll happily put myself in the "group of people to lynch" category.
I wouldn't even do that. I would throw in at the end "and if the game is still ongoing, then sure, I can understand why I'd be an option".

(I've actually been in that situation before :shifty: )
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”