Theory page

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Apr 02, 2002 3:34 pm

Post by mith »

What would you like to see on the Theory Page? What questions do you have for IS/Antrax/Samadhi/DP/myself? Article ideas? Post here, and I'll see what I can do.
pikachamp
pikachamp
Townie
pikachamp
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Apr 02, 2002 3:58 pm

Post by pikachamp »

Do you find it effective to vote for someone randomly, and change your vote to the first person that jumps on the bandwagon?
Neo
Neo
Goat
Neo
Goat
Goat

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Apr 02, 2002 5:06 pm

Post by Neo »

How about all the fun little terms explained? Like Lepton Gambit, Neo-hunt, radwulf gambit, bandwagon, etc etc etc.
"Bah. I knew sleeping with DP would turn out to be a bad idea..." --quercitron, Old West Mafia.
cubestudent
cubestudent
Townie
cubestudent
Townie
Townie

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Apr 02, 2002 6:45 pm

Post by cubestudent »

I like the Antrax Gambit the best (on display in Bladerunner Mafia).Admit you're Mafia, but claim that you're labeled evil simply as a game device, and that, in fact, it is the other, hidden Mafia that is the real danger.of course, in Bladerunner, we have yet to see whether it's a gambit or the truth. only time will tell.
unregistered
unregistered
Watcher
unregistered
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2002 2:12 am

Post by unregistered »

Heh. You have no idea how much I wish it was really a clever trick and not just the proof. If I were lying it would immortalize me in the mafia hall of fame BTW, I've started writing articles for the theory page. I plan to send mith the first one The Basics today.Antrax
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2002 2:18 am

Post by Antrax »

Unregistered my arse. Anyhow, proof was supposed to be truth. Can't edit unregistered posts, or something. PAHAntrax
"No matter it's right and wrong. It's not your turn to criticise me!" - Shing Kwun, "The Evil Cult"
JDTAY
JDTAY
n00b hoser
JDTAY
n00b hoser
n00b hoser

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2002 3:41 am

Post by JDTAY »

Players will also need a what not to do guide as well as a what to do guide.mith, if you tell me where the GL archives are being kept, I can compile a list of everything I've ever done in a mafia game for you.I might even make it into a little Goofus and Gallant type comic strip titled JD HD.
mole
mole
die suck die
mole
die suck die
die suck die

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Apr 07, 2002 1:00 am

Post by mole »

I'll write an article for you sometime, if I can think of anything worth saying. I'd like to see a Numbers article for more than one mafia family, though it would mostly come down to try and kill the members of the winning family as quickly as possible. if you're in the other family, you can afford to have them around a bit longer when you're winning or equal with them. Use examples from Courk's game (go Alfredos!--emo> or Brunchma's Mafia Harder, or something.Maybe I'll do that if I can't think of anything else.
mole is now sleeping with the fishes.
Artist Formerly Known as
Artist Formerly Known as
Townie
Artist Formerly Known as
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Apr 07, 2002 4:38 am

Post by Artist Formerly Known as »

It'd be nice ot see a statistical evaluation of when it's a good idea for a dead Mafioso to come to the aid of the town. ;Also, could you call doing so The Sisyphius Gambit, since I used it in Mafia Harder? ;I'd love to have something so minor named after me.
Become a really hot chick and date mith and you'll get the same treatment.-Neo
Luna
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Goth Limey Chick

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Apr 07, 2002 10:04 am

Post by Luna »

~seconds Neo's idea~Hm... Sisyphus? Does this mean that you are, in fact, The Artist Formerly Known As Dominus Gladiorum And Then Later As Istvan Sisyphus?
"Call me a wimp or call me luna, but I figure if I'm gonna get screwed this game it might as well be by mith."
--Sketchwick
cubestudent
cubestudent
Townie
cubestudent
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Apr 10, 2002 6:39 pm

Post by cubestudent »

after reading the how to be a good townie essay, I'd like to suggest that the followup how to be a good mafioso essay should simply consist of the line: see how to be a good townie.
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:45 am

Post by Antrax »

Keen observation. However, I believe acting like a good townie makes an avarage mafia. It's actively foiling the town left and right that makes one a good mafia. Stay tuned for the appropriate article, I'll write it today or tomorrow.Antrax
"No matter it's right and wrong. It's not your turn to criticise me!" - Shing Kwun, "The Evil Cult"
Artist Formerly Known as
Artist Formerly Known as
Townie
Artist Formerly Known as
Townie
Townie

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Apr 11, 2002 9:05 am

Post by Artist Formerly Known as »

Quote (Luna @ April 07 2002 , 224)~seconds Neo's idea~Hm... Sisyphus? Does this mean that you are, in fact, The Artist Formerly Known As Dominus Gladiorum And Then Later As Istvan Sisyphus?One and the same.
Become a really hot chick and date mith and you'll get the same treatment.-Neo
unregistered
unregistered
Watcher
unregistered
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Apr 11, 2002 6:08 pm

Post by unregistered »

so... a cop's fingered you. says your guilty. whether youre an innocent ;townie fingered by an insane cop, or a mafioso who wants to drag someone down with him, whats the best course of strategy?i think it depends on the game, really, and how far its been developed, but an article on this would be interesting.
Pudd'nhead Wilson
Pudd'nhead Wilson
Townie
Pudd'nhead Wilson
Townie
Townie

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Apr 14, 2002 11:04 am

Post by Pudd'nhead Wilson »

That's the problem with posting a Mafia Strategy article...once you post it, the strategy or tactic becomes obsolete: Townies now know enough to recognize when a Mafioso is playing by an article on good Mafia strategy, and a Town Tactics article tells Mafia how to look Townie.
Behold, the fool saith, Put not all thine eggs in the one basket--which is but a manner of saying, Scatter your money and your attention; but the wise man saith, put all your eggs in the one basket and--WATCH THAT BASKET.
JDTAY
JDTAY
n00b hoser
JDTAY
n00b hoser
n00b hoser

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2002 8:39 am

Post by JDTAY »

Maybe someone could write an article outlining the differences between brunchMafia and glMafia? I've seen many differences mentioned on the boards so far and I suspect there are many more.
Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Apr 16, 2002 9:05 am

Post by Internet Stranger »

Good mafia always switches their strategy around anyways. It becomes rock/paper/scissors.
Show
Elvis_Knits: "IS you are a sexist schmuck, for real"

Guttersnipe: "INTERNET STRANGER: You will never get away with the crap you pulled in this game again in any game I am in, ever"

Jora: "I don't care what you say. I don't care about scumhunting. Just die, alright!"
Macros
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Fear the Random Hobos

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Apr 16, 2002 9:31 am

Post by Macros »

jsut do rock, everytime you're bound to win eventually
Oh the huge manatee!!
unregistered
unregistered
Watcher
unregistered
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Apr 21, 2002 6:31 pm

Post by unregistered »

surely a player, upon learning that he/she is mafia, will endeavor to keep their playing style consistant with their townie performances.and surely a player who is townie will be comparatively careless in this regard, and so will react to the game more naturally (which means inconsistantly for most people).further, any real difference in playing style, such as frequency of posting or vituperativeness, will reflect real-life events and situations far more than a player's role.so my question is: why is player X is not acting like he/she normally does such a common attack?
Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2002 3:55 am

Post by Internet Stranger »

Because its the beef in the baseless groupthink paranoia stew.
Show
Elvis_Knits: "IS you are a sexist schmuck, for real"

Guttersnipe: "INTERNET STRANGER: You will never get away with the crap you pulled in this game again in any game I am in, ever"

Jora: "I don't care what you say. I don't care about scumhunting. Just die, alright!"
cubestudent
cubestudent
Townie
cubestudent
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2002 10:29 am

Post by cubestudent »

mmm. I think it might be giving people a little too much credit to say that they can deliberately post according a style they've developed as a townie.not that we aren't all intelligent people, but tones and word choice are incredibly complex things to try to mimic - even if you're trying to mimic yourself.and the differences that show up as you don't quite mimic yourself perfectly will be different differences than those that occur through natural behavior.of course, the question is still valid, because even with a large history of a given player's games to look back upon, it's still very difficult to decide the causes for the differences you're noticing, and there can be no systematic approach to it, since every player's differing differences will be different.I guess I can't really decide whether it's a viable tactic or not, but I did get to use the phrase: differing differences will be different, so I'm pretty happy.
Neo
Neo
Goat
Neo
Goat
Goat

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Apr 23, 2002 3:31 am

Post by Neo »

In some cases you can call it Instinct™
"Bah. I knew sleeping with DP would turn out to be a bad idea..." --quercitron, Old West Mafia.
mole
mole
die suck die
mole
die suck die
die suck die

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Apr 23, 2002 3:34 am

Post by mole »

Instinct? Bah Bow to the psych(ot)ic power of The List
mole is now sleeping with the fishes.
Neo
Neo
Goat
Neo
Goat
Goat

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:26 am

Post by Neo »

What if there is no list? Huh? HUH? HUH? Yeah thats what I thought. Now go out and buy Instinct;
Pudd'nhead Wilson
Pudd'nhead Wilson
Townie
Pudd'nhead Wilson
Townie
Townie

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2002 11:52 am

Post by Pudd'nhead Wilson »

I thought you said it was called Intinct;, without the s. ;What I'd really like to see would be a game balance article by DP or mith--something on how many investigators/protectors/immunities/masons it would be wise to include in a game with so many Mafia and serial killers.
Behold, the fool saith, Put not all thine eggs in the one basket--which is but a manner of saying, Scatter your money and your attention; but the wise man saith, put all your eggs in the one basket and--WATCH THAT BASKET.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”