Ask IS

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
SaberKitty
SaberKitty
Supposed to be? This IS blue.
SaberKitty

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sun May 19, 2002 3:45 pm

Post by SaberKitty »

ohh, i have another question...
after how many games did you earn the titile "paragon of all mafia hunters" - who gave you the title? have you died in the first day more so because of it?

-SK
[color=blue]Hug a snowman, It's a cold world out there![/color]
Samadhi
Samadhi
Townie
Samadhi
Townie
Townie
Location: What is A place where something is or could be located, Alex

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon May 20, 2002 11:52 am

Post by Samadhi »

SK: He gave it to himself and it didn't take long.
Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon May 20, 2002 5:07 pm

Post by Internet Stranger »

After receiving much praise from the lesser skilled majority of mafia players, I decided to bestow the title upon myself. You can not trust something so important to the simple plebian masses.

The title was irrelevant as to the sudden rash of jealousy and fear I inpired in other players in the games I was in. It was getting to the point where I would be lynched early regardless of me being able to prove my innocence, like in Mafia 16, the retarded neanderthal town. I believe it may be due to the fact that I was keeping record of all my mafia accomplishments as a signature, noting how many mafia and other assorted evil roles I had single handedly captured. It was quite an impressive record indeed.

The foolish mentality of the town led me to take a short retirement of about 30 games or so. Although nowadays the harsh unreasonable voting has dwindled somewhat, I still get investigated no later than the second night by every role that can check on me. The mafia tend to let me live because of the inept actions of the trigger happy town. (See mafia 3)
Show
Elvis_Knits: "IS you are a sexist schmuck, for real"

Guttersnipe: "INTERNET STRANGER: You will never get away with the crap you pulled in this game again in any game I am in, ever"

Jora: "I don't care what you say. I don't care about scumhunting. Just die, alright!"
Samadhi
Samadhi
Townie
Samadhi
Townie
Townie
Location: What is A place where something is or could be located, Alex

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon May 20, 2002 5:56 pm

Post by Samadhi »

And when it came to tallying his "catches" IS could teach Enron a thing or two about creative accounting. I recall some that he "single-handedly" captured in games he wasn't even playing in. Very impressive.
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2002 4:00 am

Post by Antrax »

believe it may be due to the fact that I was keeping record of all my mafia accomplishments as a signature, noting how many mafia and other assorted evil roles I had single handedly captured.

What was far more intimidating was IS' creative use of the language, and his uncanny ability to apparently "catch single-handedly" every single mafia ever lynched, including those lynched by bandwagons he wasn't part of, and even those who comitted suicide or were lynched after he, himself, had died.
Antrax
"No matter it's right and wrong. It's not your turn to criticise me!" - Shing Kwun, "The Evil Cult"
Cadmium
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Twentythreeth

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2002 10:28 pm

Post by Cadmium »

The question that came to my mind was:

What about the roles that aren't really just Mafia or Town related? I read about it on Mith's and DP's site. I mean roles like Mafia cops, Siblings, Traitors and so on. What's the best technique to play such roles? And should we expect those roles in a normal mafia game?
"OH MY GOD, Cadmium! I can make rye bread! You must be innocent, I'll do whatever you tell me!" exclaims Mackay excitedly. - Jeep, Mini Game 9
Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2002 2:36 am

In a "normal" game, you probably wouldnt see them. (townies, mafia and maybe cops)

But to play the secondary good or evil roles, just play them as if you were a townie or a mafia. Youre basically on their side anyways. In fact you even have a small advantage because of your abilities. No difference really.

When it comes to third party roles, like an SK type, you have to play for the side that has less people, usually the mafia. Its more important for you at that point to know who is mafia rather than getting them lynched. If you suspect someone of being mafia, dont defend them outright, but try to keep them alive until the end. You have to get rid of a lot of townie fodder.

The end game has to be with you killing the last mafia last, or else you will never win.
Show

Guttersnipe: "INTERNET STRANGER: You will never get away with the crap you pulled in this game again in any game I am in, ever"

Jora: "I don't care what you say. I don't care about scumhunting. Just die, alright!"
Sketchwick
Sketchwick
Goon
Sketchwick
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2002 12:03 pm

Post by Sketchwick »

IS, what do YOU think about the SK role in general? I think it's kind of silly to give one guy a decent chance to win all by himself, but also silly to give someone a near impossible goal.

sketchwick
Cadmium
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Twentythreeth

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu May 23, 2002 2:23 am

Post by Cadmium »

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like fun to play one of those roles. Oh well, maybe one day :).

I also have another question. What kind of communication do you prefer when being mafia or other roles that can communicate at night? Do you use E-mail, Private Messages, ICQ?
"OH MY GOD, Cadmium! I can make rye bread! You must be innocent, I'll do whatever you tell me!" exclaims Mackay excitedly. - Jeep, Mini Game 9
Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu May 23, 2002 3:45 am

Pudd'nhead Wilson wrote:What, in your oppinion, is the most powerful role ever to grace a Mafia game to your knowledge? ;What role that you've ever read about or seen played was your favorite?

Im not sure about most powerful, but my favorite is definitely the Tlelaxiu Face Dancer role from Dune Mafia. Basically steal someone elses role for a night and use it yourself. It was incredibly fun.

Sketch:

I like the SK role, its a challenge all to itself. You probably wont survive or win the game, but can at least have some fun causing some havoc. I got lucky in Dune maf, I essentially had a pseudo-SK role (Thanks to all the Fremen who didnt use their kills) and managed to get a co-victory while having fun spreading mass disinformation.

Cadmium:

Usually email works fine with me. I dont need to communicate that much at night anyways and this way everyone sees the whole conversation
Show

Pudd'nhead Wilson
Pudd'nhead Wilson
Townie
Pudd'nhead Wilson
Townie
Townie

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sat Jun 01, 2002 8:48 am

Post by Pudd'nhead Wilson »

Hmmm...a power stealer. Interesting answer. I would have thought the fun would be limited by your ability to find out who everyone else is.
Behold, the fool saith, Put not all thine eggs in the one basket--which is but a manner of saying, Scatter your money and your attention; but the wise man saith, put all your eggs in the one basket and--WATCH THAT BASKET.
Raamawen
Raamawen
Townie
Raamawen
Townie
Townie

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sat Jun 01, 2002 5:10 pm

Post by Raamawen »

Dear IS:

Precisely what do you have against the humble apostrophe?
[size=84]'minut on murhattu, hakattu paloiksi, heitetty seinille, naurettu pois' --CMX, [i]Helvetin hyvä paimen[/i][/size]
Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sat Jun 01, 2002 5:53 pm

Apostrophes are the tool of the devil. Their use only denotes the fact that you are an evil devil worshipper with no morals or ethics. Only us of the righteous path can live through life without succumbing to such a henious act such as using an apostrophe to mask our weaknesses of expresseing ourselves correctly.

We must be pillars of strength and avoid their use. I have already chosen my path of eternal glory and have banished the accursed apostrophe from my everyday use of the language. I would rip the whole key from my keyboard were it not for the fact that quotation marks are forever damned to stand eternal vigilance over the bastard apostrophe, guarding us from its undue influence. And that some programming languages insist on them.

If you want to proclaim your evil demeanor so blatantly, why not join these bunch of geeks, doomed to never-ending suffering due to their heretic ways.

http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/
Show

Sketchwick
Sketchwick
Goon
Sketchwick
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:15 pm

Post by Sketchwick »

Dear IS,

I've heard there are some games when it's actually to the town's advatage not to lynch. Is this true?

sketchwick
Cadmium
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Twentythreeth

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:03 pm

Post by Cadmium »

8O

Sketchwick, you're really not afraid to die, are you :wink:?
Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Jun 07, 2002 2:19 am

grrr... now everytime he dies im going to look suspicious.
Show

Sketchwick
Sketchwick
Goon
Sketchwick
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri Jun 07, 2002 2:47 am

Post by Sketchwick »

not if you answer the question...

sketchwick
Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Fri Jun 07, 2002 3:16 am

Well yea, if its specifically set up. Like 9 cops 1 mafia. In any normal balanced game you must always lynch.

If not you will keep skipping lynches until its like 3 town 2 maf. ooh Look 40% to catch a mafia! We will get one for sure now!

What the hell is the point of increasing your odds by a few % when its never going to be better than 50% anyways?

Sack up, take the damn chance and lynch someone.
Show

Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:55 am

Post by Antrax »

IS, ever heard of cops? They're little guys who run around getting lynched on the first day. But if they don't, the town can avoid lynching and then get sure, 100% lynches, based on those guys' information.
Antrax
"No matter it's right and wrong. It's not your turn to criticise me!" - Shing Kwun, "The Evil Cult"
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Fri Jan 10, 2003 8:42 am

Post by cuban smoker »

I want to bring this thread back to life:

Dear IS: What did you think about the zombies in DP's Trouble in Haiti? Does the idea of a mindless zombie slave go against the principle of Mafia? Or was it a clever twist? Would you mind seeing it again, or should it be left as a one-time thing?

Mindless in Haiti.
Werebear
Werebear
Cursed One
Werebear
Cursed One
Cursed One

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:17 pm

Post by Werebear »

Dear IS,
If a time-travelling mafia goes back to night 1 and kills a time-travelling cop that has posted his investigations, then how does the town remember the investigations that he has now no longer posted?
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:47 am

Post by cuban smoker »

Although I can appreciate the inherent humour your question has Werebear, I figured I may as well post the "official" answer for any one who is curious:

In this game, the answer is simple: your posts will never be deleted, and instead, they will be treated as time “echoes”. Although history has rewritten itself, this new history is a palimpsest. That is, previous histories will be visible under the new one.

Also, it should be noted: palimpsest is a cool word.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”