Limited Post Mafia

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
VinnyQ
VinnyQ
Watcher
VinnyQ
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Apr 07, 2002 8:43 am

Post by VinnyQ »

How about limited post mafia? To prevent those long days journey into nights situation.Only allow each player to post only a limited number of time each day. ;Two or Three would be a good number. ;Once you use up your post, you're screw if you want to go back and unvote/revote somebody. ;No going back to reedit post.Days would go by a lot quicker, and people would put more thoughts into their post.
If you surrendered to the air, you could ride it. -- Toni Morrison
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Apr 07, 2002 3:29 pm

Post by mith »

What about a slight modification? Players can post as much as they like in the first 24 hours, and then have 2 or 3 posts after that; otherwise, everyone would be reluctant to post first, as it would be a waste of a post with nothing to go on.
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2002 4:54 am

Post by Antrax »

This sounds almost as bad as the silent mafia idea. What's the deal in a mafia game where you force everybody to be quiet? It'll tip the game seriously in the mafia's favour.Antrax
"No matter it's right and wrong. It's not your turn to criticise me!" - Shing Kwun, "The Evil Cult"
VinnyQ
VinnyQ
Watcher
VinnyQ
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2002 6:40 am

Post by VinnyQ »

Ant, the main thing I was trying to address was the fact that some of the mafia games accumulated so much post in one day (e.g. 4 pages) that people just end up skimming them and voting randomly because they don't bother reading them after a while, or don't bother going back to previous day to reread post when they have the need to (or maybe that's just me being lazy).But the reluctance to post first would be a problem. ;Mith's idea might be able to address that, or we could do something like allow them to vote as much as they like, but only post one non-voting post (or verbal post) during the day to express their opinion/idea/suspicion. ;It'll keep the game fast, simple, and clean. ;And it'll force people to think more and not just vote the first bandwagon that comes rolling along, and to put more thoughts into their verbal post.I don't think mafia would have that big of an advantage, cuz what a lot of people mostly end up doing is analyzing voting patterns.Also, I am sure mith, DP and some of the other expert roles maker can think up of some townie roles that could use that limitation as an advantage or maf roles that are slightly handicapped by the limitation.
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2002 7:44 am

Post by Antrax »

Vinny, first of all it would be impossible to defend oneself. Secondly, I completely disagree with analyzing voting patterns as the main technique for hunting mafias. Thirdly, it would allow all mafias an automatic defense of I can't post to clear myself. It'll deny the town most of its information.Antrax
"No matter it's right and wrong. It's not your turn to criticise me!" - Shing Kwun, "The Evil Cult"
VinnyQ
VinnyQ
Watcher
VinnyQ
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2002 8:21 am

Post by VinnyQ »

Corndog, sheep boy.Like i said, it was just an idea. ;Not a very good one, huh? ;But we won't know unless we try it. ;I am going to try to come up with some roles for a minigame and see if I can get it to balance. ;Mind if I run it by you after I throw something together?
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2002 8:57 am

Post by Antrax »

But of course. Critising is what I do best Antrax
VinnyQ
VinnyQ
Watcher
VinnyQ
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2002 2:54 am

Post by VinnyQ »

All rite Antrax (and others;  Feel free to comment and criticise, ridicule even, I won't mind):Small game of 16 players (or would this be consider medium?):4 mafias2 cops1 doc6 townies3 masonswith the caveats that 1)  the 4 mafias, though in the same family, only know one other member (but share the win)e.g.  maf1 maf2 know each other but not maf3 maf4and maf3 maf4 know each other but not maf1 maf2.and2)  there will only be one verbal post allows per day.  You may vote and unvote as much as you like.  FOS, ROG, etc, are consider verbal post.  Confirm vote to lock in your vote (unchangable) to end the day (if all votes are confirmed, the day will end ahead of time).3)  (maybe)  allow townies the ability to hide from nite kill 1 time, at their own choosingHow about it?
Luna
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Goth Limey Chick

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2002 3:39 am

Post by Luna »

I like this idea. In fact I like the original idea, of only permitting players 3 posts per day or something, too. I find it a bit daunting picking through four or five pages of votes, accusations and arguments, and I also find it quite tedious when one day ends up lasting three weeks or something. I'd play in this... If it does all goes horribly wrong, it's not the end of the world, and I won't have wasted *too* much time on it. Quick games = good. (And while I'm on the subject, any chance of another real-time mafia?)
"Call me a wimp or call me luna, but I figure if I'm gonna get screwed this game it might as well be by mith."
--Sketchwick
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:35 am

Post by Antrax »

One post? Oh yeah, that's clever.Player1: I chose Antrax at random. Vote: Antrax(Player 1 may never again say another thing today. If he's, say, a cop, who found Antrax out but wanted to survive, he could never reveal it in case the bandwagon doesn't work)Antrax: So, couldn't kill me at night mafia? Don't try to lynch me at day, either vote: Player1(Antrax is also barred from talking. Anyone at all can now accuse him of anything, no matter how outrageous, and unless Antrax has allies, he will be unable to defend himself AT ALL. Player1 also can't defend himself. The other players most likely vote for one of the two.)Nobody wants to come out during the first day, any accuser is leaving himself WIDE open for an counter-attack by the accused HE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO REPLY TO. I agree it'll be a very short game, though, and very fun if you happen to be on the mafia's side. Antrax
VinnyQ
VinnyQ
Watcher
VinnyQ
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:54 am

Post by VinnyQ »

You can Vote first, Antrax.  The point is not to waste your breath saying things like This is a random vote or OMG you sux or couldn't kill me at nite, huh?But maybe 3 posts per day would be better.Also, I thought I balanced the mafia advantages by having the 3 masons and having the mafia not knowing who the other 2 of their fellow members are.  You don't think that'll swing the advantage over to the side of townie a little?  They could lynch their fellow members for all they know, or shoot them in the dark.Thanks for the comments, Luna.  I am trying to get mith to make me a mod.I guess I'll thank Antrax also, while I am at it.    Keep those constructive criticisms coming, Ant.  We'll get this right yet.  I already have Luna agreing with the endless day and miles of dialog state of affair, and that's enuff for me to want to make this work.We can always add more cops roles, or more masons, etc, to give townie more power.  Here's another idea.  How bout letting the cops work with each other?  That would give town a HUGE advantage, maybe enough to overcome the limited post situation (a good thing).What I am trying NOT to do is to give the town too much power.  I want it to be evenly balanced.
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:59 am

Post by Antrax »

A better way to eliminate long waits is doing short to insane (realtime mafia) time limits. Of course, that requires a lot of mod dedication. I dislike the basic idea of limiting your most potent, and often only, weapon, your posts.Antrax
Luna
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Goth Limey Chick

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:08 am

Post by Luna »

Sheesh, Antrax. If you hate the idea so much, don't play. There'll be plenty of other games. Vinny's idea might need refining a bit, but it's worth a try, imo. Experimenting is fun. If it's a disaster, the world won't end, we'll just try something else next time. =P
"Call me a wimp or call me luna, but I figure if I'm gonna get screwed this game it might as well be by mith."
--Sketchwick
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:09 am

Post by Antrax »

Beloved, it WAS tried. I suggest you ask the players how much they enjoyed the silent mafia, 35. Also, how fast it went.Antrax
Luna
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Goth Limey Chick

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:12 am

Post by Luna »

~repeats the don't sign up, then suggestion~For myself, it's a risk I'm willing to take. It's not a major life decision, it's a mafia game. And if it's absolutely horrible and I hate it and wish death upon everyone involved... well, then you get to say hahaha I told you so. :)
--Sketchwick
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:13 am

Post by Antrax »

Don't worry, I won't sign up. As for don't post, I wasn't aware the game started already. I somehow must've mistaken this for a thread in a DISCUSSION board. My bad.Antrax
Luna
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Goth Limey Chick

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:22 am

Post by Luna »

~scans posts for anything that suggests, even vaguely, that Antrax should stop posting~~fails to find it~No-one suggested you aren't allowed to post. I just felt that you came across a bit sorta ARGH NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO THIS MUST NEVER TAKE PLACE, IT IS A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH. Thinking you're being a bit over-the-top doesn't exactly equate to denying you the right to speak.
--Sketchwick
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:24 am

Post by Antrax »

Yeah, only as opposed to the brilliant way you put it, my posts contain reasoning, and examples, and the such. And I sort of interpereted if you don't like it, nobody's forcing you to play as shut up about it already. Now, don't make me sic Jeff K at you.Antrax
VinnyQ
VinnyQ
Watcher
VinnyQ
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:25 am

Post by VinnyQ »

Antrax, you gotta turn your sarcasm down a tad.  I totally miss out on the don't post comment.  What were you referring to?And    cuz Ant wouldn't even give the game a chance.  I don't think this is the same as the Silent Mafia at all.  You can talk, just not ramble.(Maybe Ant just like to talk a lot )
VinnyQ
VinnyQ
Watcher
VinnyQ
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:29 am

Post by VinnyQ »

What the heck are you two doing??? Trying to beat each other posts to the minute????  Sheeesssshhh
Luna
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Goth Limey Chick

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:32 am

Post by Luna »

Er, my point was that you seemed unneccessarily upset about it, not that you didn't have reasons. Quote And I sort of interpereted if you don't like it, nobody's forcing you to play as shut up about it already.Oh. Not how it was intended... Vinny already said he welcomed your feedback, so I'm hardly going to leap in and say NO You may not have feedback from Antrax, I demand that he shut up ;I just meant that, well, you seemed quite personally insulted at the mere idea of such a game existing. Which, you know. Would be silly.
--Sketchwick
Luna
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Goth Limey Chick

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:36 am

Post by Luna »

Quote What the heck are you two doing??? Trying to beat each other posts to the minute???? Ah come on... what good is a forum without a few flamewars?
--Sketchwick
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:43 am

Post by Antrax »

Quote (Maybe Ant just like to talk a lot [] Or maybe a mafia game in which you can't post is as clever as a mafia game with no mafia family. Not all innovation is good, you know. Antrax
Luna
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Goth Limey Chick

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:50 am

Post by Luna »

Actually, haven't we already had one of those?...
--Sketchwick
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:55 am

Post by Antrax »

Uhh, yes. I pointed to it above. I thought it was terrible. Antrax

Return to “Mafia Discussion”