Gambits and Curses and in-jokes, oh my

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
mole
mole
die suck die
mole
die suck die
die suck die

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Apr 07, 2002 5:34 pm

Post by mole »

Since I can't think of anything else to write at the moment, I'll continue Antrax's list of commonly used mafia terms with the list of less well-known ones. Here's what I have so far - some of them are commonly used, and some of them are other strange things that I've given a name:Lepton's Gambit: Revealing yourself as a cop early in the game and also declaring an innocent to be mafia, then after they are lynched saying something to the efect of, Well, guess I must be insane, then...This is used surprisingly often, considering it didn't really happen that way . Lepton wasn't mafia or a cop, but he misread his role e-mail and thought he was.Lepton's Curse: When in two or more games the mafia and cop roles are given to the same players, resulting in heavy mafia losses.In this case, there were three games in which elayne and mole were mafia, and Lepton was a cop, which was hardly good for us at all. It was broken shortly after when all three of them were placed in the same family.Antrax's Curse: To be frequently killed by the mafia on the first night of the game.IS's Curse: To be frequently lynched by the town in the first day of the game.The Vigilante's Curse: If DP ever gives you a role saying You may kill during the night, but may only use this power once, then watch out In all the games he's tried to include it, the player with this ability was shot by the mafia on the first night.Do the Brunchers have anything like these they could include? I haven't played there long enough to tell...
mole is now sleeping with the fishes.
mole
mole
die suck die
mole
die suck die
die suck die

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2002 12:04 am

Post by mole »

OMG you suck Vote: Voting for someone solely because they voted for you first. For example: Quote mole:Vote: Purgation-insert reasons for voting here-Purgation:OMG you suckVote: moleThe List: Bow to the List
mole is now sleeping with the fishes.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2002 3:34 am

Post by mith »

These aren't official or anything, but I think they should be. mith's Gambit: In an end game with two killing groups left and a very small number of Townies, playing the killing groups off against each other, and/or making promises to one group and then going back on them, in order to keep the Town alive. This worked to a draw in the first DD Mafia (with the help of Courk, Queen of everything (or something like that ), and almost worked to a win in Pokemafia (bah on Vinny ).mith's Curse: Ending up in a Mason/Recruiting group, where one of the other members is the Godfather. This happened *twice*. Mafia 11, where IS and I were the Mafia Hunters (or something like that), recruited Lepton, the hypnotist, and the Lepton convinced the Mafia to let him become a traitor, since the Mafia was dying off too fast. Lepton ended up being the Godfather (since all the other Mafia died), retaining his insanely powerful protection, the Hypnotist, and a Mafia Hunting Recruiter all at the same time. Luckily, he was lynched soon after. Mafia 24, where DP made mole the Godfather and a member of the Mason Lodge.
VinnyQ
VinnyQ
Watcher
VinnyQ
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2002 6:53 am

Post by VinnyQ »

The way to counter a mith's gambit is with a Vinny's mafioso loyale   How about giving some names to:those figgin silent mafia-lurkers that win the game by not saying a word (or few words) till the very end (I remember Greg using that tatic quite often.Mafia claiming that they have a neutral role and that he/she promise to switch over to the side of good.Townie baiting a mafia using Crap Logic (maybe Antrax's Crap???, hahahhahaha)Clueless Townies that switch votes back and forth after every oh that make sense post.  (These are sometime mafia playing dumb).
If you surrendered to the air, you could ride it. -- Toni Morrison
VinnyQ
VinnyQ
Watcher
VinnyQ
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2002 6:56 am

Post by VinnyQ »

I double posted by mistake, how do you delete a post?And mith, we really really need the [edited by lalala on lalala] text inserted when somebody modified their post.
unregistered
unregistered
Watcher
unregistered
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2002 9:30 am

Post by unregistered »

I would imagine that IS's curse was being lynched regardless even after naming most of the mafia.Maybe it can be called the I told you so gambit.
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:10 am

Post by Antrax »

Or maybe we could settle for Accuse everyone on the first day and then claim you knew they were mafia all along when they eventually die tactic, but it seems a little long.Antrax
"No matter it's right and wrong. It's not your turn to criticise me!" - Shing Kwun, "The Evil Cult"
groza528
groza528
Watcher
groza528
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:23 am

Post by groza528 »

I tried a move out the other day that worked surprisingly well (in GLC.)The groza gambit: (Only works in small games, where people claim roles quickly) ;As a doc that has successfully protected somebody, claim to be a cop and that that person is innocent (which you know they are.) ;Since everyone knows there HAS to be a doc, the Mafia may claim the role just so they have something uncontested.
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:34 am

Post by Antrax »

PAH Add Lynch the mafia even though he worked very hard to make the logical lynch be someone else to that strategy =PAntrax
"No matter it's right and wrong. It's not your turn to criticise me!" - Shing Kwun, "The Evil Cult"
pikachamp
pikachamp
Townie
pikachamp
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2002 2:33 pm

Post by pikachamp »

Quote those figgin silent mafia-lurkers that win the game by not saying a word (or few words) till the very end (I remember Greg using that tatic quite often.hehehe, i didn't do it on purpose
Artist Formerly Known as
Artist Formerly Known as
Townie
Artist Formerly Known as
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2002 2:43 pm

Post by Artist Formerly Known as »

Sisyphius' Gambit: ;In a two-family game, where you are a dead Mafioso and your family has fewer living players than the other, start helping the town in an attempt to start a bandwagon against a suspected member of another family. ;If the person in question gets lynched, shoot anybody who defends them. ;Can turn a down-by-one into an up-by-one with a little luck. ;Then, of course, the other family will try to repeat the same tactic against you. ;Can lead to an easy win for the town unless you bury a consigliere deep. ;A suggested follow-up is to get the opposing family to think that an innocent townie who came out to support you early is in fact part of your family.
Become a really hot chick and date mith and you'll get the same treatment.-Neo
Neo
Neo
Goat
Neo
Goat
Goat

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2002 3:00 pm

Post by Neo »

I don't think the Sisyphius Gambit can work in GL mafia.....
"Bah. I knew sleeping with DP would turn out to be a bad idea..." --quercitron, Old West Mafia.
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:37 am

Post by Antrax »

Uhh, how can dead mafiosi talk? ~doesn't really get it~Antrax
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:05 am

Post by mith »

They can talk in brunchmafia.
VinnyQ
VinnyQ
Watcher
VinnyQ
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:46 am

Post by VinnyQ »

; ; ; But ... but that's TABOOThose krazy brunchersWhere exactly is this brunching site anyway? ;I would like to check it out. ;Anybody got a link?
Luna
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Goth Limey Chick

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:58 am

Post by Luna »

Brunchma.com(that's the link to the boards, which sprang from an appreciation of the Brunching Shuttlecocks )edited for linkage
"Call me a wimp or call me luna, but I figure if I'm gonna get screwed this game it might as well be by mith."
--Sketchwick
VinnyQ
VinnyQ
Watcher
VinnyQ
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2002 8:40 am

Post by VinnyQ »

(thx Luna)~checks out link~boggles ;17 boards???
Sofis
Sofis
Watcher
Sofis
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2002 10:58 am

Post by Sofis »

Quote 17 boards??? You're such a message board virgin. *points and laughs*
Artist Formerly Known as
Artist Formerly Known as
Townie
Artist Formerly Known as
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2002 2:07 pm

Post by Artist Formerly Known as »

Brunchmafia allows a lot of postmortem posting. ;Depending on the game, the limits on what a dead person can say range from BOO ;to Lynch X to two-hundred-word mini-essays on theories as to who's Mafia.
Become a really hot chick and date mith and you'll get the same treatment.-Neo
Houdinisworstnightmare
Houdinisworstnightmare
Ninja
Houdinisworstnightmare
Ninja
Ninja

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Apr 26, 2002 3:58 pm

Post by Houdinisworstnightmare »

*Waves*All the Brunchmas in the room know me.
Raamawen
Raamawen
Townie
Raamawen
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Apr 26, 2002 4:18 pm

Post by Raamawen »

Why yes. Yes we do. *pets Dini - GLers please note that we call her Dini, so no need for shortenings like Houdinietc.*Why, however, do I not think that this is quite the thread for introduction posts? Or maybe it is. Whatever.
[size=84]'minut on murhattu, hakattu paloiksi, heitetty seinille, naurettu pois' --CMX, [i]Helvetin hyvä paimen[/i][/size]
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Apr 27, 2002 1:15 am

Post by Antrax »

Well, he/she/it is now IN this board, and this IS the thread for the in-jokes, so all it takes is a joke, and the post fits right in. I think.Antrax
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Apr 27, 2002 2:13 am

Post by mith »

So, 2 Dinis walked into a bar...oh, nevermind.
Pudd'nhead Wilson
Pudd'nhead Wilson
Townie
Pudd'nhead Wilson
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri May 03, 2002 9:32 pm

Post by Pudd'nhead Wilson »

...the bartender says, Hey, we don't serve no dinis here. ;One of the dinis says, All right, so we'll skip to the dessert.
Behold, the fool saith, Put not all thine eggs in the one basket--which is but a manner of saying, Scatter your money and your attention; but the wise man saith, put all your eggs in the one basket and--WATCH THAT BASKET.
Luna
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Goth Limey Chick

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu May 09, 2002 10:48 pm

Post by Luna »

Has anyone explained what dramashrinking is? oh, and hi Dini ~waves to Dini~
"Call me a wimp or call me luna, but I figure if I'm gonna get screwed this game it might as well be by mith."
--Sketchwick

Return to “Mafia Discussion”