Internet Mafia History

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
radwulf
radwulf
Watcher
radwulf
Watcher
Watcher

Internet Mafia History

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu May 16, 2002 8:58 am

Post by radwulf »

There probably won't be enough discussion on this subject to warrant a new topic, but I didn't know where else to ask these questions.

My question is addressed to mith: was Bulletin Board Mafia played for the first time on GL? Also, the Princeton group webpage refers to IRC mafia (but that link is dead)... is that the first known instance of mafia being played on the Internet?
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu May 16, 2002 8:49 pm

Post by Antrax »

AFAIK, mith invented online mafia, and the first game was played over the GL. Princeton are a bunch of geeks and should never be regarded with anything more than a dismissive snort.
Antrax
"No matter it's right and wrong. It's not your turn to criticise me!" - Shing Kwun, "The Evil Cult"
Neo
Neo
Goat
Neo
Goat
Goat

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri May 17, 2002 2:31 am

Post by Neo »

Mith is like a sort of mafia eJesus......or something 8)
"Bah. I knew sleeping with DP would turn out to be a bad idea..." --quercitron, Old West Mafia.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri May 17, 2002 9:25 am

Post by mith »

Ooh, new title! ;)

Yes, as far as I know, the first BB Mafia game was played starting on August 20, 2000 on the GL. Players were Alfie, Chuck, Courk, CzarJ, firemeboy, HyToFry, Internet Stranger, Luna, mole, Quailman, Sofis, The Master (Sofis and The Master were the Mafia).

I also started the first game on brunchma, May 8, 2001. Since the first game on the GL, I think I've counted 62 games on the GL (counting the sign-up-stage 48 and 50), 9 (I think) on brunchma (counting the sign-up-stage 5 and SM 3), and 10 on here (counting the sign-up-stage DP 2 and Theme 3). Not bad for a couple years. :)
rOver
rOver
Goon
rOver
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon May 20, 2002 7:26 am

Post by rOver »

The first internet mafia, called gyilkosos game I know of was played on the discussion board of internetto.hu then, the biggest internet portal in Hungay, back in june 1998. The original RL game was adapted to the internet by a user called Skizoid. All in all some 50 games were played on internetto.hu and its successor index.hu, the last one so far in january this year. The rules evovled from the RL rules used in Hungary (1 detective, usually 2 maffia members who cooperate and townsfolks) and eventually included curses for maffia members and complex rules governing the detectives abilities.
You can still find these games in the archives of the index.hu forums, via the search engine at http://www.index.hu/forum/. That is if you speak Hungarian :wink:
Anyway this was my first post here. Hope to play some good games, but I'm afraid my English might not be good enough.
Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon May 20, 2002 8:11 am

Post by Internet Stranger »

Well, what about the Romanians?

http://pub40.ezboard.com/bromanianmafiagames
Show
Elvis_Knits: "IS you are a sexist schmuck, for real"

Guttersnipe: "INTERNET STRANGER: You will never get away with the crap you pulled in this game again in any game I am in, ever"

Jora: "I don't care what you say. I don't care about scumhunting. Just die, alright!"
Turiya
Turiya
Townie
Turiya
Townie
Townie

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon May 20, 2002 1:53 pm

Post by Turiya »

For some reason r0ver's post reminded me of Chekov in Star Trek. "Of course, [insert whatever here] was invented in Russia." :D
rOver
rOver
Goon
rOver
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2002 1:07 am

Post by rOver »

Well, I didn 't claim it was invented there. That's where I first saw it. And it happens to be the earliest date in the thread. So far.
Intrestingly however, there is a Mensa group in Hungary who claimed to have invented the original game back in '86. But there's no way I can tell if it's true or not.
radwulf
radwulf
Watcher
radwulf
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2002 11:16 am

Post by radwulf »

Whoa, IS, how did you find that link? That, btw, is the site I started a couple of months ago for my Romanian friends.
Luna
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Goth Limey Chick

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2002 9:40 pm

Post by Luna »

It's one of the first links on Google when you put in "mafia game", radwulf.

I'm intrigued by the idea that some other board has been off inventing online mafia before we thought of it (how dare they! ;)) ... It'd be interesting to see how similar their version turned out, cause I think ours has evolved quite a lot since the first game, to the point where it's really not the same game as RL Mafia anymore.
rOver
rOver
Goon
rOver
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2002 2:11 am

Post by rOver »

It was usually played with 1 cop 2 mafiosi 7 townsperson. All types of communication allowed. Email, ICQ, even telephone. Days usually last 2-3 RL days, at the end the player with the most votes gets lynched.The plyers' roles are not revealed upon their death. Votes are usually sent to the moderator in email, mafiosi send their victim's name, cop sends suspect's. So night is basically a post by the moderator on who got lynched and killed, and how. Also if one of the deceased had a final will that's made public too. Mafiosi have to attack the same person, for a kill.
Mafiosi do not know each other at the start of the game, however if one of them tries to kill the other, or they attack the same person, they are revealed to each other. If however the cop was watching one of them, both are revealed to him or her. Also if one of the maffiosi does not try to kill anyone, something he can do once in the game, the cop will find him innocent. When the mafiosi kill someone, they get a curse, something they have to post. Since most games have a strong role playing element, it could be something about the victim like one of the mafiosi has to repeatedly express a strong dislike to cats, if the victim had a cat. (That's an easy one to find) But it can be something entirely different, eg. once I had to write at least 3 6 words sentenceswith words of 1, 4, 2, 8, 5 and 7 letters. (in this order) The decimals of 1/7. There was something about the number 7 I can't quite remember. It was difficult enough to find sentences, which were like this, but even then they didn't sound too relevant to the discussion.
Luna
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Goth Limey Chick

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2002 7:41 am

Post by Luna »

hm, that actually sounds really interesting, especially the mafia "curses"... you should start a Hungarian Mafia game up or something. :)
rOver
rOver
Goon
rOver
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu May 23, 2002 1:29 am

Post by rOver »

It will be some time before I moderate a game For now I'll just play some games and generally try to survive :)
jesternl
jesternl
Townie
jesternl
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu May 23, 2002 3:02 am

Post by jesternl »

but I'm afraid my English might not be good enough.

Don't worry about that r0ver.. there's lots of non native eglish speakers here..
As a matter of fact, tehre's lots of Americans that are worse then you are, at least in their typing... :)
And welcome
Neo
Neo
Goat
Neo
Goat
Goat

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu May 23, 2002 3:20 am

Post by Neo »

Whte meaning are you speaking about their?

:wink:
"Bah. I knew sleeping with DP would turn out to be a bad idea..." --quercitron, Old West Mafia.
rOver
rOver
Goon
rOver
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu May 23, 2002 7:41 am

Post by rOver »

Thanks jesternl. And I'm in Mini 5 already, so I guess I got over my linguistic concerns.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”