Moderation 101

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Moderation 101

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:50 am

Post by mith »

Just a random idea I had. This thread is for people looking to learn about Moderating, or for anyone else looking to fine-tune their technique. I (or anyone that wants to, really) will post a topic of discussion, and we'll discuss that topic for a week or so (depending on how long it needs to be discussed).

Topic 1:

Pretend you are going to moderate a Mafia game. You have 20 players to work with. What roles would you use?

The idea for this is to come up with a set-up where all the roles fit together nicely; none too powerful or too strange. Provide any back-story you want, etc. I won't say no themes allowed, but for now, it would make more sense to stick to a normalish game.

You can post your ideas in this thread, or PM them to me, and I'll post them all together in a few days (you can choose whether you want it to be anonymous or not); then everyone can provide positive feedback and such.

Not really sure how successful this will be, but we can always switch topics if this one sucks. :)
Sketchwick
Sketchwick
Goon
Sketchwick
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Jun 13, 2002 3:21 am

Post by Sketchwick »

Well I'd like to think I put enough effort into any game I designed that it would be good, and if it's good I'd want it to be played. If I want people to play it I can't go posting it here...

As I've said before I have a lot more interest in designing a game than I do modding it. Maybe that is common, or maybe other people have more of a desire to mod than I do. I think I am increadibly (sic) fair, and I think I would make good decisions if problems came up, but I obviously can't spell worth a crap and am frequently too impatient to edit correctly. Ideally I'd design a game to co-mod that I designed and let somoone like quercitron write up my lynch and death scences with just some guidlines from me, and someone like Antrax following the game and giving the players constant vote counts (I love that).

Back to the "topic" at hand though. I would like to discuss the format of Newbie Mafia 5 with everyone:

3 Capone (1 GF: immune to night kills and investigations but ability
doesn't pass along)
3 Corleone (1 GF: same)
3 docs
2 cops
9 townies

Discuss. :)

sketchwick
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Jun 13, 2002 3:53 am

Post by Antrax »

Heh. I'd do 3 mafia, 1 doc, 1 cop. Am I boring? :(
Antrax
"No matter it's right and wrong. It's not your turn to criticise me!" - Shing Kwun, "The Evil Cult"
Macros
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Fear the Random Hobos

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:48 am

Post by Macros »

snet mine to yuor pm box thingy
Angel Fish
Angel Fish
Townie
Angel Fish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:11 am

Post by Angel Fish »

Just an idea - I know that people are writing up the results of games after they're through, but perhaps it would be useful to have a thread where the set up, numbers, eventual outcome and any problems experienced (situations the mod hadn't thought of etc) of played games could be posted?
CrystyB
CrystyB
Townie
CrystyB
Townie
Townie
Location: Romania, Balkans, Eastern Europe, Earth, Solar System, etc

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Jun 14, 2002 1:56 pm

Post by CrystyB »

Maybe i'll do just that to get warmed up. ((mith should know what i'm talking about))
Luna
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Goth Limey Chick

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:40 pm

Post by Luna »

Macors, you might as well just post yours. This thing is going slow (and I'm not really sure what you meant by one of your roles anyway).

Let's see...

My "standard" (i.e. I've run 1 game with it :P) 20 player game would be something like:

4 Mafia A (godfather optional)
4 Mafia B (godfather optional)
4-5 Cops (Usually 2 Sane, 1 Insane, 1 Paranoid, 1 Naive; or 2 Sane, 2 Insane)
2 Docs
4 Masons
1 Serial Killer
1 Extra role if only using 4 Cops (such as Vigilante, Traitor of some sort, Ninja ;), etc.)

Of course, I never stick to the formula; for one thing, if everyone knows what types of Cops there are, it's easier for the Cops to figure stuff out.

If I was going to do a one family game, I'd go with:

4 Mafia
5 Cops (see above)
3 Masons
2 Docs
1 Serial Killer
5 Townies

or something similar.

I'll provide feedback on the above setups later. :)
CrystyB
CrystyB
Townie
CrystyB
Townie
Townie
Location: Romania, Balkans, Eastern Europe, Earth, Solar System, etc

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Jun 21, 2002 5:09 pm

Post by CrystyB »

I can never tell where a 2-fam game is going to go... In your oppinion both of those are somewhat balanced?
Luna
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Luna
Goth Limey Chick
Goth Limey Chick

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Jun 23, 2002 5:52 am

Post by Luna »

Yeah, I think they're pretty balanced. Either could turn into a easy win by any side, of course, but on the average, I would guess that they're pretty fair. I'd like to get a working sim to test that, of course. :)

Return to “Mafia Discussion”