It's not the size mate, it's how you use it.

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
quercitron
quercitron
Watcher
quercitron
Watcher
Watcher
Happy Scumday!

It's not the size mate, it's how you use it.

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Sep 10, 2002 11:21 am

Post by quercitron »

So, being a Mafia addict, I recently spent a day looking over my extensive collection of files on your personal lives, shoe sizes, and Mafia histories, wondering what new exciting Mafia ideas I could come up with.

I came up with a few brilliant notions (and a lot of extremely er...unbrilliant ones.) Here's one:

I'm personally very fond of the Mini Games. With dedicated players who post and use logic they are not only a quick, fun experience, but also quite interesting to watch. Since everyone posts, and games never lag, non-players have the opportunity to watch dazzling logic, Crap Logic, and er...random non-logic thrown about in a display of deception, creativity, and several other cool nouns.

Oh wait. Did I mention I dream of an ideal Mafia world? But back to my idea: the average Mafia player, myself included, really can learn a lot from watching people play. Especially in a small environment, where anyone not posting or posting oddly is noticed. So, here's the scoop:

Suppose someone runs a series of Mini Games, outside the MiniList, with experienced players - a sort of MiniInvitational. Originally I wanted to run a four/five game series with the same roles and players, but after talking with mith we agreed that this was too boring, so the updated idea would run a four/five game series with different themes: we could use the Mini 1 roles with a Doc added, the Mini 2 cops, a two family game, and a couple others.

Suppose that the players in this series are all experienced. They'll happily post all the time, attack Crap Logic, and provide fun reading material and analysis for the watchers.

Suppose that immediately after the game the players and the Mod provide analysis describing their actions and thoughts during the game, and that while the game is going on there are polls that allow onlookers to vote on who's scum, who's suspicious but not scum, etc.

Suppose also that I even have permission to pitch this idea to you all. So, experts (and I use this term loosely enough; the old-timers know who they are,) what do you think? Would you be interested in playing and providing analysis? Would you want to play a set of Mini Games with the same people? Would you want the set to be all different types?
Newer players, would you be interested in watching? Think you could learn from it? Like the analysis and poll ideas?
All players: any suggestions, comments, criticism, etc? I'm not going to go ahead with any of this until I see what you all think, but I'm convinced the idea has theoretical potential.

The practical side of it remains to be seen. But then again, I did run an Improbable Mafia, so hey...

q
RoadBird
RoadBird
Townie
RoadBird
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Sep 10, 2002 11:55 am

Post by RoadBird »

Wow Q, nice piece of text. But personally I consider you one of the experts. That ofcourse is loosely said ;). I would love to watch the invitational. What i'm really curious of is if IS is going to call everyone retards in that game.
"Roadbird you suck! You kill little kittens for fun! Die you evil Mafia scum, I'm attacking you! Run in fear!" -- Quercitron in Focused Mafia
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Sep 10, 2002 12:29 pm

Post by mith »

Of course he would. We'd just be smart enough to not listen to him. ;)
Cadmium
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Twentythreeth

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Sep 10, 2002 12:32 pm

Post by Cadmium »

Roadbird wrote:What i'm really curious of is if IS is going to call everyone retards in that game.

LOL :lol:!

I think that's a great idea, Quercitron! I'm sure everybody would like to watch that. I think you can learn more by watching than by playing mafia. Plus, the "old players" can play without being lynched the first day :) (with the exception of one, off course).
"OH MY GOD, Cadmium! I can make rye bread! You must be innocent, I'll do whatever you tell me!" exclaims Mackay excitedly. - Jeep, Mini Game 9
eillid
eillid
Watcher
eillid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Sep 10, 2002 1:01 pm

Post by eillid »

Sounds like fun both to play and to watch. Watching how Player A plays in Game 1 would help Player A and others figure out his style (Does he play the same way every game? Does he play differently every game? Is he the type that's going to try to decieve early on, or is he more likely to pretend he's a townie? Does he give hints about his role, or does he die protesting he's a townie?). It's helpful to know that sort of thing for later games.
Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Sep 10, 2002 2:04 pm

Post by Internet Stranger »

bah, you are all retards.
Show
Elvis_Knits: "IS you are a sexist schmuck, for real"

Guttersnipe: "INTERNET STRANGER: You will never get away with the crap you pulled in this game again in any game I am in, ever"

Jora: "I don't care what you say. I don't care about scumhunting. Just die, alright!"
quercitron
quercitron
Watcher
quercitron
Watcher
Watcher
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Sep 10, 2002 3:00 pm

Post by quercitron »

In so far:

1. IS
2. Retards
verge_of_taboo
verge_of_taboo
Townie
verge_of_taboo
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Sep 10, 2002 3:15 pm

Post by verge_of_taboo »

that sounds really fun...

the polls would have to be set up in a way that the players couldn't see, or it might influence thier reasoning. bystanders would also need to be able to change a vote repeatedly to accurately represent their feelings, etc.
Ningal
Ningal
Newbie information desk
Ningal
Newbie information desk
Newbie information desk

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Sep 10, 2002 4:37 pm

Post by Ningal »

In any case: Shiny idea. Want watch. *smiles, looks kind of cute and pathetic*
[size=84]Not to worry. There's enough chloroform for everybody. --the silent speaker[/size]
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Sep 10, 2002 8:42 pm

Post by Antrax »

Fine, alright, I might play this, if everyone else will. It's amazing how my well my mafia cold turkey isn't coming along.
Antrax
"No matter it's right and wrong. It's not your turn to criticise me!" - Shing Kwun, "The Evil Cult"
Dragon Phoenix
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Don't shoot the mod

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:16 pm

Post by Dragon Phoenix »

Great idea!
mole
mole
die suck die
mole
die suck die
die suck die
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:33 pm

Post by mole »

Sure, I'm in.
mole is now sleeping with the fishes.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:54 am

Post by mith »

I'll try to play if this happens. Maybe I'll have time. :) (I don't usually have problems with Mafia games, just with everything else ;))
RoadBird
RoadBird
Townie
RoadBird
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Sep 11, 2002 11:47 am

Post by RoadBird »

Shouldn't Samadhi be in this game?
"Roadbird you suck! You kill little kittens for fun! Die you evil Mafia scum, I'm attacking you! Run in fear!" -- Quercitron in Focused Mafia
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Sep 11, 2002 12:03 pm

Post by mith »

Re: vot's comments

Not necessarily. It's not as if the non-players are going to know any more than the players.

But if you want it hidden, you could just email and quercitron can post the results.
jesternl
jesternl
Townie
jesternl
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:54 am

Post by jesternl »

It does indeed sound like a fun an meaningful thing to do :)
Samadhi
Samadhi
Townie
Samadhi
Townie
Townie
Location: What is A place where something is or could be located, Alex

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2002 10:08 am

Post by Samadhi »

I'd play.
quercitron
quercitron
Watcher
quercitron
Watcher
Watcher
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:57 am

Post by quercitron »

With mith's blessing I'll start this moving Sunday, by sending emails to the 12 participant-hopefuls.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”