General Mafia Theme Suggestions

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Ningal
Ningal
Newbie information desk
Ningal
Newbie information desk
Newbie information desk

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Wed Oct 02, 2002 5:46 pm

Post by Ningal »

Muser wrote:Well, I'd say it's a "radically themed Mafia". Hey, I've seen flying pumpkins shooting laser beams on this board.

Yes, but that still fit the basic Mafia dynamic; the description as a laser-beam-shooting flying pumpkin rather than as a normal vigilante was, so far as I can see, basically flavor. In your Survivor 'theme', who precisely are the Mafioso-equivalents? Where's the collaborative aspect?
[size=84]Not to worry. There's enough chloroform for everybody. --the silent speaker[/size]
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:05 am

Post by Antrax »

"flavour" which also gave the role immunity to night attacks while a certain other role was alive, gave it 25% protection and gave it the "aim" ability, which is basically a way of investigating. Oh yeah, just a vigilante.
Antrax
"No matter it's right and wrong. It's not your turn to criticise me!" - Shing Kwun, "The Evil Cult"
Ningal
Ningal
Newbie information desk
Ningal
Newbie information desk
Newbie information desk

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Oct 03, 2002 1:33 am

Post by Ningal »

More evidence that I can't communicate worth a damn. *sigh* Antrax, you know full well what I mean - that even
with
the twists put on the role, it still fit the vigilante archetype, which in turn is part of the normal mafia
thing
[size=84]Not to worry. There's enough chloroform for everybody. --the silent speaker[/size]
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:15 am

Post by Antrax »

But you're very wrong. It's true that most roles can be attributed to an archtype, which is the reason mith and myself came seperately with the same idea of creating a "formal language" for mafia roles, but the flying pumpkin was different enough than a regular vigilante to not fit in a regular mafia game, even without the funky name. The "animal" mechanic itself would disqualify it.
Antrax
"No matter it's right and wrong. It's not your turn to criticise me!" - Shing Kwun, "The Evil Cult"
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
It was THIS big!

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu Oct 03, 2002 3:51 am

Post by Dragon Slayer »

I'm not saying it has no connections I just don't think it fits that well in wih the mafia gaming theme of this website. Brunchma would probably be great for it. :wink:
Ever wonder why that edit button is obnoxiously placed in the center like that? Yeah, that's cause of me.. and trust me, it's better off there.
Muser
Muser
Townie
Muser
Townie
Townie

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:27 am

Post by Muser »

Well, I'm not that familiar with Mafia, being relatively new to it. I guess I didn't realize that there were certain "rules" that a scenario had to abide by.

In my "Survivor Mafia" game, I see the "tribes" as separate Mafia families, and simply no Townies. Would that qualify it as an allowable Mafia scenario?

Rewards like altering votes, protecting people, and getting extra votes are unique to Mafia, and not part of the Survivor TV show. Same goes for the whole "unknown identities" concept, which is the most basic premise of Mafia.

I'm just thinking of a Mafia game themed like Survivor. I'm not sure how this is any different than other themed Mafia games. Survivor just happens to also use the mechanic of voting people out.
[size=75]I guess it's over now 'cause I've never seen so much...never seen so much...never seen so much...BLOOD!

-Barenaked Ladies ("Tonight Is The Night I Fell Asleep At The Wheel")[/size]
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:26 am

Post by mith »

The main reason it's not like Mafia is that there is no good vs. evil. The only basis you would have for voting for someone is that you think they're tribe is doing better. I mean, what are you going to say if you get voted for? "Don't vote for me, I'm not Mafia... oh, wait, everyone is, nevermind."
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:28 am

Post by mith »

Incidentally, dethy was going to run a game that's a combination of Mafia, the Mole, and Survivor. I just think your particular idea isn't Mafia like, I do think that a Survivor theme might be made to work.
ambic
ambic
Maniac Mastermind
ambic
Maniac Mastermind
Maniac Mastermind

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:29 pm

Post by ambic »

I really wanted to do time travel mafia - and I have spoken to others about it - such as what to do with paradoxes....

I think a 50 player game in which the mafia make a kill, and then make it happen on any night of the game could be interesting. Eg Kill Mole, Night 2. The doctors can do the same thing, protect mole night 2, thereby bringing him back to life.... And then if a player dies, the numbers required to lynch changes, and the players vote is gone... confusing,.... Hell to mod.... but so much fun.....

A few other roles like paradox preventers would be cool too.... And when lynched no roles are revealed.... The cops will have to investigate the player by travelling back in time to before he died to find out the alignment....

Holy cow what a game....
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:44 am

Post by mith »

Have you talked to mole about it? He and I discussed something similar once, I don't know if he ever got anything close to working. Your ideas seem to be a big step in the right direction, though I'd like to see something more concrete before I'll be convinced it'll work. :)
ambic
ambic
Maniac Mastermind
ambic
Maniac Mastermind
Maniac Mastermind

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Fri Oct 18, 2002 6:04 pm

Post by ambic »

Yup - Moles the one I have primarily talked too about it...
Chuck
Chuck
Goon
Chuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sat Oct 19, 2002 4:42 am

Post by Chuck »

One hundred U.S. senators, some of whom are commies (mafia). Joseph McCarthy is the only cop but can investigate three senators per day.
ralphmerridew
ralphmerridew
Goon
ralphmerridew
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:26 am

Post by ralphmerridew »

Two ideas I had which are open to anybody who wants them: (both posted previously on GL)

1) Medical Mafia
Each night, the mafia has (1+#(mafia living)) points of attacks, which they can distribute amonst the other players however they please. Everyone else is a doctor and gets one point of defense, which they can place on any other player. Anybody who gets more points of attack than defense dies.

I'm not sure how to balance this, though, but its mostly ready to run.

2) Auction Mafia
At the beginning of the game, each player gets a fixed amount of money, and a vague list of the roles is posted. Each player chooses how much to bid on each role, and the high bidder for a role gets it. (The person who makes the highest single bid gets that role, and his/her bids are removed from all other auctions. Everybody must bid on each role, with a different amount for each bid.)

Also, each day there are some services offered (one-night bodyguard, investigation), so that people don't spend all their money on the initial auction.

There's a fair amount that would need to be done before this is ready, though.
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:49 am

Post by Antrax »

Hm, is the auction secret or open? If it's secret, it's not really an auction, and if it's open, everybody know who has which role.
Antrax
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Oct 19, 2002 6:11 am

Post by cuban smoker »

Time travel Mafia... Wow... I am all of a sudden absolutely fascinated. Just so you guys know, I'm going to start from scratch, and see what I come up with over the next few days. If I come up with a working model, I'll contact either mole or ambic.

I think the secret might be to use the multiverse theory of time travel, and have the mod decide which multiverse the players are actually conscious in, based on the events that have occured. You see, you could track all the possible universes in a database like excel, or even access. Hmm... Oh well, off I go to start theorizing about this...
ralphmerridew
ralphmerridew
Goon
ralphmerridew
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sun Oct 20, 2002 3:02 am

Post by ralphmerridew »

The auction is sealed price, first bid, and bids are not revealed until after the game is over.
jadesmar
jadesmar
Goon
jadesmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sun Oct 20, 2002 3:36 am

Post by jadesmar »

What happens in your auction when everyone ties because they bid one dollar on each role they didn't want and the rest on, oh, let's say cop.
You must be drunk 'cuz you're all blurry.
RubberDuck
RubberDuck
Townie
RubberDuck
Townie
Townie

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Mon Dec 02, 2002 2:02 pm

Post by RubberDuck »

What about a Resident Evil mafia?

If someone does want to try this one but doesnt know any roles just ask me and I can tell you.
Green Crayons
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:33 pm

Post by Green Crayons »

I've actually been tossing a Macbeth themed mafia around in my head for a short while. After i iron out all the kinks that i see, anyone willing to look over the role descriptions i have managed to come up with?
Dragon Phoenix
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Don't shoot the mod

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:46 pm

Post by Dragon Phoenix »

sure, just email me.
Windchill
Windchill
Townie
Windchill
Townie
Townie

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:27 pm

Post by Windchill »

Macbeth?

I suppose the game will have a curse on it ;)

Ive been waiting for someone to suggest Shakespeare mafia. About time, and Ill be in....
Beaudoin
Beaudoin
Watcher
Beaudoin
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:12 pm

Post by Beaudoin »

Discordian Mafia. Expect visits from Mr. Morimoto, Famous Japanese who can swallow his own nose, and St. Gulik, Messenger of Eris (and a Roach).
Beaudoin responds: "Hey! Well, no hard feeling, I guess. Since 2 is greater than 3, I'll help y'all string up Medicated Lain" -jeep, Minigame 20
Angel Fish
Angel Fish
Townie
Angel Fish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:53 am

Post by Angel Fish »

I've been turning over some ideas for "SimsMafia" in my head for a while (when I started to see some gaming-related theme games spring up, I relaised the only game of this type I could possibly do was one based around "The Sims").

So far I have three set ups; a mini-game, a straight game (with tweaked roles) and a whacked out, random events, freaky game.

Anyone else thought about this theme? Any suggestions for roles and so on? I'd like to get at least one, interesting-but-workable game out of it.
Gaspode
Gaspode
Old school
Gaspode
Old school
Old school

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:08 pm

Post by Gaspode »

Since people's characters are always different in The Sims, I don't really get how you could make roles out of it, but go ahead, try it. My only suggestion is that many people can't stand randomness, so either leave it out or put in a disclaimer.
Angel Fish
Angel Fish
Townie
Angel Fish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:26 pm

Post by Angel Fish »

I want to cut out the randomness totally, hence askign for hints.

Roles could work around the NPCs - You've got loads to choose from, maids, gardeners, gatecrashers...the aliens who abduct you, racoons, stray dogs, the Grim Reaper, mimes, Drew Carey, etc.

I'd really like to try and do a series of mini-games, four in total, one for each location (residential lot, old town, vacation Island and DownTown) but that might require a) patient players and b) my own mafia board where no one else whats to mod ;)

Return to “Mafia Discussion”