General Mafia Theme Suggestions

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
DoomCow
DoomCow
Goon
DoomCow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:19 am

Post by DoomCow »

I was thinking of an "Amimal Farm Mafia" but I haven't read the book and only seen the animated movie once, and hardly remember anything of it.

roles could be: pigs (mafia, with one gf and one that secretly works for town), dogs (mafia that work for pig gf), famer (killer), farm animals for other roles (cows/goats/chickens as docs, birds as cops)...
No you weren't there when nothing happened baby, some fool can testify. Nobody saw your nails were dirty baby, just blame the flirty vile. You've got to say the wrong words right baby, you got to tell a lie.
-'Lie' Daan
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:18 am

Post by jeep »

pigs (mafia, with one gf and one that secretly works for town),

Not so secret if you announce it here. Also, having mafia that works for town is tough, because they can simpley say "X, Y, and Z are mafia"...

-JEEP
Dourgrim
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Yep. Again.

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:58 pm

Post by Dourgrim »

I know I'm new around these parts, but here's an idea for you: Illuminati Mafia, inspired by the Steve Jackson Games card game. The different Illuminati/groups in the game could probably be easily translated into roles, although I confess I haven't really given them much thought. Anyone played the game and perhaps could take this ball and run with it?
[size=75]The point of the journey is not to arrive...[/size]
Dragon Phoenix
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Don't shoot the mod

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:14 am

Post by Dragon Phoenix »

I 'claim' Three Musketeers as a theme for my next game. :)
Corsato
Corsato
Goon
Corsato
Goon
Goon

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:00 am

Post by Corsato »

Mythology mafia, thoughy I'm not quite sure how Gods can be killed at night....
DoomCow
DoomCow
Goon
DoomCow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:00 am

Post by DoomCow »

Maybe not killed, but instead insulted that they be attacked and as a result they don't find the mortals worth struggling for anymore?
No you weren't there when nothing happened baby, some fool can testify. Nobody saw your nails were dirty baby, just blame the flirty vile. You've got to say the wrong words right baby, you got to tell a lie.
-'Lie' Daan
Ningal
Ningal
Newbie information desk
Ningal
Newbie information desk
Newbie information desk

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:43 am

Post by Ningal »

Or simply dragged into Tartarus and left there for all eternity. Lynchings would be effected the same way.

It depends on your mythology, anyway. Inanna died, and a rather complex trick on Enki's (?) part was necessary to get Ereshkigal to let her be resurrected; the story of Baldur's death is reasonably well known as well.
[size=84]Not to worry. There's enough chloroform for everybody. --the silent speaker[/size]
Ningal
Ningal
Newbie information desk
Ningal
Newbie information desk
Newbie information desk

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:59 pm

Post by Ningal »

Double-posting to say that Corsato, if you're considering actually moderating Mythology Mafia, consider this my official offer to co-mod (assuming, of course, that I'd actually be allowed to - if not, I'd be content with simply helping design roles). I've got a Bruncher or two willing to sign up here specifically to play it.
[size=84]Not to worry. There's enough chloroform for everybody. --the silent speaker[/size]
Beaudoin
Beaudoin
Watcher
Beaudoin
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:55 am

Post by Beaudoin »

That sounds neat, but what mythology would it be based on? Norse (Loki, Fenris Wolf, and whatever other monsters Loki was the father of vs. the Jotun vs. Aesir) Or how about Greek (Titans vs. Gods)? Or would it be some free-for-all?

Also, you might want to do some researching to avoid pissing off the mythology pedants like me.
Beaudoin responds: "Hey! Well, no hard feeling, I guess. Since 2 is greater than 3, I'll help y'all string up Medicated Lain" -jeep, Minigame 20
Ningal
Ningal
Newbie information desk
Ningal
Newbie information desk
Newbie information desk

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:25 pm

Post by Ningal »

Taken from here, there, and everywhere. Mafia families would, of course, be single-culture (Greek mafia, Norse mafia, Sumerian mafia, etc), as would mason lodges.

And yes, I fully intend to research these things. That's the main reason I want in on this. I find this stuff fun.
Corsato
Corsato
Goon
Corsato
Goon
Goon

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:49 pm

Post by Corsato »

The scheme I had in mind is based on Greek myhology, with indeed the gods of Olympus vs the titans. Of course I'd do some researching, and I would appreciate any input on that matter. I might take this game to the GL, because I wouldn't have to wait.
Ningal
Ningal
Newbie information desk
Ningal
Newbie information desk
Newbie information desk

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:10 pm

Post by Ningal »

OK, so we (if Corsato will have me) go with that, then.
Corsato
Corsato
Goon
Corsato
Goon
Goon

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:50 am

Post by Corsato »

Ok, I'll take you up on that.
ambic
ambic
Maniac Mastermind
ambic
Maniac Mastermind
Maniac Mastermind

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:59 am

Post by ambic »

Economy Mafia

Everyone starts off with a sum of money. Their night skills can then be offered to any other player for a price. Eg the doctor offers to protect you for a sum, but when he gets that money it simply means he can buy other advantages.

Im beginning to work on the idea anyway....
Beaudoin
Beaudoin
Watcher
Beaudoin
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:14 am

Post by Beaudoin »

Interesting. I'm supposing other roles would include cops-for-hire and inventors? And would there be evil for-hire roles (like assassins and such)?
Beaudoin responds: "Hey! Well, no hard feeling, I guess. Since 2 is greater than 3, I'll help y'all string up Medicated Lain" -jeep, Minigame 20
Corsato
Corsato
Goon
Corsato
Goon
Goon

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sat Feb 22, 2003 12:19 pm

Post by Corsato »

Ambic: you might want to read Viva Las Vegas Maf.
Everyone could gamble for money, and hire bodyguards at night, and lawyers during day. It was pretty cool.
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
It was THIS big!

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:06 pm

Post by Dragon Slayer »

Sounds cool ambic.
Ever wonder why that edit button is obnoxiously placed in the center like that? Yeah, that's cause of me.. and trust me, it's better off there.
Gaspode
Gaspode
Old school
Gaspode
Old school
Old school

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:47 pm

Post by Gaspode »

Ditto.
ambic
ambic
Maniac Mastermind
ambic
Maniac Mastermind
Maniac Mastermind

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:23 pm

Post by ambic »

Im working on a 15-20 player schema. Ill let you know if I get anywhere...
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:09 am

Post by PolarBoy »

Hey, has anyboyd ever tried Foundation Vs. Second Foundation, or Hatrack River(From tales of Alvin Maker) as Mafia themes? They seem to have possibilities.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
Kelvin
Kelvin
Ninja
Kelvin
Ninja
Ninja

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:19 am

Post by Kelvin »

Would the bad guys be the townies and the good guys be the mafia in Foundation vs. 2nd Foundation? Would the 2nd Foundation have no night kill, but instead convince townies to lynch one another?

I can't say Hatrack river appeals to me; but that's just me.

Bah @ non-Ender's Game novel-length OSC.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:55 am

Post by cuban smoker »

Someone mentioned here earlier the idea of a world politics Mafia.

I am working on an idea closely related to that, which would be Security Council Mafia. 15 players, with 3 probably randomly selected mafia members, so as to not make it obvious through world politics who were evil. The 5 permanent countries would all have veto power.

Now, you could stop there, or you could take it a HUGE step further. You could force the town to stick to UN speaking policies. A small tutorial would be held before the game started on to how this worked. I have had much experience in Model UNs, and I have copies of the simple rules to this. It involves a speaker's list, resolutions, points of order, points of information, etc. Every motion would be voted on. I suspect that instead of taking a vote immediately for motions like they do in the UN, that the council would have 48 hours or so to vote for a motion, and thus procedures would continue, and multiple motions could be held. People would right fancy resolutions and ammendments that would cause the removal of nations from the security council. As well, these amendments and resolutions could include barring people from voting, talking, etc.

Still flushing out the idea. Perhaps I will have a poll soon to see if anyone would be willing to play by the UN speaking rules.
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:27 am

Post by Norinel »

I think Security Council Mafia is more than sufficiently crazy. I'd probably play.

How about Mikado Mafia, after the Gilbert & Sullivan operetta? The town could marry off one person a day to try to marry off Katisha, or something, and the play has enough other roles to do some cool stuff (Townies become of either chorus, the Lord High Everything Else could have a neat little stack of powers he could only use one of at a time, etc.) , but I can't think of a second or third evil.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”