Minvitational Analysis

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
quercitron
quercitron
Watcher
quercitron
Watcher
Watcher

Minvitational Analysis

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Sep 29, 2002 2:18 pm

Post by quercitron »

The Mini Game Invitational is starting soon! I've already posted the topic in Little Italy for the first game. I'm waiting on confirmations from the invited players, so nothing is happening quite yet, but I'm figuring I should start a topic for discussion, as one of the main reasons I'm running this is to spark commentary and analysis from both players and non-players.

As soon as I get confirmations from all the players, I'll be sending them a survey with some theory questions and opinions on Mafia that I will post so that you can digest the wisdom of the experts. For right now, here are the roles for the first Mini Game of 12:

3 Mafia
1 Cop
1 Doctor
7 Townie

This is almost exactly like Mini Game 1, except I've added a Doctor. We'll see how 12 'name players' play it out soon enough. What do you all think?

Also, just a general note. I'll eventually get polls running on who outside players think is scum, etc. But for right now, one of the first things I'll do after a game finishes is post an edit of commentary and analysis by all the participants. You can add your analysis, theory, thoughts, and commentary to the edit by emailing them to me at quercitron@mac.com.

It's my hope that a lot of information/theory can be gained from this...
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
It was THIS big!

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:06 am

Post by Dragon Slayer »

Sounds cool... except- I wasn't invited :evil: ! hee hee- well you said there'd be more than one if it works out well, right? Hope so- BTW, there are more and more players becoming pretty good at this game- maybe next time run an invitational normal game maybe 20 players or so so allt he experts can play :?: . Just kidding aout the whole "I wasn't invited thing- I got plenty to do anyway :lol: .
Ever wonder why that edit button is obnoxiously placed in the center like that? Yeah, that's cause of me.. and trust me, it's better off there.
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Oct 02, 2002 11:49 pm

Post by Antrax »

There was a twenty player invitational, ran by mith. The town won. I died the first night :D
Antrax
"No matter it's right and wrong. It's not your turn to criticise me!" - Shing Kwun, "The Evil Cult"
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
It was THIS big!

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Oct 03, 2002 3:39 am

Post by Dragon Slayer »

don't think i was around then.
Ever wonder why that edit button is obnoxiously placed in the center like that? Yeah, that's cause of me.. and trust me, it's better off there.
quercitron
quercitron
Watcher
quercitron
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:02 pm

Post by quercitron »

Today's player survey: INTERNET STRANGER.

"We have lost a Cop and we may yet lose our next one. You also could end up with the biggest devastating loss we could endure. The Mafia could decide to murder me now." -Internet Stranger, GL Mafia 3

What's the best game you've ever played?

• Dune Mafia of course. I managed to manipulate everyone in that game and bring a Serial Killer type character to a game ending tie.

Is the setup for Minvitational 1 balanced?

• Yes, all it takes is for the Cop to find Mafia once or twice and the Mafia are doomed.

What advice would you give to a newbie who wants to win games?

• As Mafia: I’m not sure if this has changed, but if someone who is usually quiet is suddenly vocal in this game, kill them. It usually means they have an useful role now. You want those Cops dead. As non-Mafia: 3rd person in any bandwagon is very likely to be Mafia. Careful, many Mafia know this now, so the experts avoid the third spot.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:45 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

So, after reading through the Minvitational game up to this point (Samadhi VS. Antrax, top of page 4), I'm going to venture out and say I don't think either one is Mafia. Obviously I could be wrong, but that's my impression. I think that both players are acting like townies looking hard for Mafia. It's very difficult to pick out Mafia online, but I don't think that the players are looking in the right spots right now.
Time may prove me wrong of course... heh.
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Oct 09, 2002 9:28 pm

Post by Antrax »

That's the most fun part, stating your suspicions then realising you're horribly wrong as time progresses. I did that in the first invitational game, I wonder if mith saved my comments to him =P
vote: Samadhi

Antrax
"No matter it's right and wrong. It's not your turn to criticise me!" - Shing Kwun, "The Evil Cult"
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:01 am

Post by mith »

Yeah, I have them somewhere, I just forgot to post them. :)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Oct 13, 2002 5:32 am

Post by mith »

test
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Oct 19, 2002 1:16 am

Post by Antrax »

Well, the game thread is locked, so allow me to do the victory dance here:
~does the Antrax dance~
~adds another notch~ :lol:
Antrax
Mackay
Mackay
Goon
Mackay
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Oct 20, 2002 4:08 pm

Post by Mackay »

Vote: IS

...oh, wait...

Anyway, I'm not surprised that Antrax died. While it is vastly different from their other kills, the mafia are now looking for a doc. And since they only had a certain chance of getting them, and Antrax was using his Jedi mind tricks :wink: they might as well have killed two birds with one stone.

I don't know if it was you who really deserved that notch, though, Antrax, but hey. You're dead now. And you always have to say nice stuff about dead people, so you can keep the credit. :)
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:14 am

Post by Antrax »

Bloody hell. I figured him out like a king. The fact a cop later come out is irrelevant, I voted for him BEFORE the cop came out (and provided the reasoning). Had the cop not come out, he'd have been lynhced for simply not defending himself.
Antrax
Mackay
Mackay
Goon
Mackay
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:32 am

Post by Mackay »

Oh really? I was meaning to ask you this anyway. What was your reasoning for voting IS, and why didn't you GIVE some reasoning behind your vote so that he COULD defend himself?

Are you also going to claim credit if, later on, someone you randomly voted for for no reason turns out to be mafia? Did you have them figured out too? I bet you knew who the mafia was all along, right? I see it all now! You were just keeping it secret to give the others a chance!!!

OH ANTRAX, YOU ARE SO GREAT AND MIGHTY!!!!! I WORSHIP YOU AND YOUR AMAZING MAFIA-HUNTING SKILLS!!!!!!! [/sarcasm]
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:41 am

Post by Antrax »

Oh really? I was meaning to ask you this anyway. What was your reasoning for voting IS, and why didn't you GIVE some reasoning behind your vote so that he COULD defend himself?

What the fuck? What the hell are you talking about? What flavour of crack are you on?
Please, you're embarrassing yourself. Maybe you should read the thread before posting here?
Antrax
Jalyn
Jalyn
Goon
Jalyn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:42 am

Post by Jalyn »

Mackay, Antrax
did
give reasons. Whether they were solid or not is mute point at this time, but reasons were given - mostly that IS was playing much quieter than usual.
Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:45 am

Post by Internet Stranger »

Antrax's reasons:

1) I was being quiter than normal. Of course the fact I was waiting for Sooth to be lynched is irrelevant right? Also that I wasnt the only one too.

Besides, I get lynched for being loud too. Irrelevant.

2) I basically gave Antrax an FOS. So duh he is going to accost me the next day. I told him I was going to suspect him. Its the whole pre-emptive strike deal.

3) oh look, he suspected Jeep too. THE COP. I guess if I spam myself out like that too I can be just as good as Antrax someday.

Im not overly bitter, but I dont see this as a spark of sudden genius. Maybe others were, but this was more luck than anything. Quail was already voting Antrax before Jeep bailed Antrax out.

So save the happy dance for when it actually applies.
Show
Elvis_Knits: "IS you are a sexist schmuck, for real"

Guttersnipe: "INTERNET STRANGER: You will never get away with the crap you pulled in this game again in any game I am in, ever"

Jora: "I don't care what you say. I don't care about scumhunting. Just die, alright!"
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:59 am

Post by Antrax »

~shrugs~. My case was actually "here's the strategy the mafia seem to be employing, oh look, IS is doing it". The manifestation of how you were doing it was, in this case, being quieter.
Antrax
Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2002 7:16 am

So Jeep is mafia too?
Show

Guttersnipe: "INTERNET STRANGER: You will never get away with the crap you pulled in this game again in any game I am in, ever"

Jora: "I don't care what you say. I don't care about scumhunting. Just die, alright!"
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2002 7:37 am

Post by Antrax »

Had he not come out as the cop, I'd've gone after him tomorrow. What is the case you're trying to establish, I'm not perfect?
Antrax
Mackay
Mackay
Goon
Mackay
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2002 1:37 pm

Post by Mackay »

The point I was making is the one IS already did. Anyone who accuses everyone can then later say they voted for the guilty party.

I just don't think you should be taking all the credit for IS's lynch. I think you are being plain unfair to the other players in saying that it WAS you, and IMHO, which doesn't seem to warrant much with you in any case, so you shouldn't be offended, there are far better mafia players than you in that game.
mole
mole
die suck die
mole
die suck die
die suck die

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:40 pm

Post by mole »

And it's over. Exactly how I intended it to end - lucky the right people were investigated (or weren't killed, depending how you look at it) so the plan would actually work out... :)
mole is now sleeping with the fishes.
Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:53 pm

So when do we flog Werebear for not claiming doctor?
Show

cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:57 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

I was wondering that too... didn't the town decide things got interesting if a mafia claimed doc? I won't repeat the argument here, but I'm with IS on this one.
mole
mole
die suck die
mole
die suck die
die suck die

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:19 am

Post by mole »

:\

Remind me never to try to play at 1:30 ever again - went to sleep, saw a movie the next day, found my modem didn't work, and fixed it this afternoon only to learn of my horrible death.

What would the rest of you have done? [Assume you can carry out your plan somewhat better than I did...]

And with that, I'm goign to sleep again. I'm not sure if I'll have enough internet access to play in the next game. :(
mole is now sleeping with the fishes.
Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Nov 30, 2002 8:26 am

Dont worry Mole, the goons with torches and pitchforks are on the way to Australia now.
Show

Return to “Mafia Discussion”