Stats page

This forum is for discussion related to the game.

Would you like to see a Stats page that would rank Mafiascum.net players?

Total votes: 0

cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Stats page

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Oct 16, 2002 5:44 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

The idea has been proposed that a stats page be added, probably to the mafiascum.net webpage, that would rank all the players by team wins and losses. What thinkest thou?
Mackay
Mackay
Goon
Mackay
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:34 pm

Post by Mackay »

I think a basic one would be nice... but I'm getting myself in trouble with this, because I'm a crappy mafia player who always loses! :oops: :)
- Mackay
Angel Fish
Angel Fish
Townie
Angel Fish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:51 pm

Post by Angel Fish »

Partly I think it's a nice idea...but...

Seems silly to rank people who die on the first day as "winners" just becuase their team pulls through
and
Anyone in the top ten can kiss goodbye to playing any games for a few months as they'll be regularly targeted on Night ONE.
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:28 pm

Post by Antrax »

"No matter it's right and wrong. It's not your turn to criticise me!" - Shing Kwun, "The Evil Cult"
Corsato
Corsato
Goon
Corsato
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Oct 16, 2002 11:17 pm

Post by Corsato »

If a good system can be thought of, I would be willing to help. (I might even consider helping with the thinking-part :))

A system where people are rated by how many nights they survive isn't fair. Good players who have proven their skills (like Antrax), are often killed the first night. Though they are good at playing mafia, they will be very low on the list. A system suggested by Mith (follow Antrax' link), where everybody starts at .5 is more fair.
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:26 am

Post by Antrax »

Actually, the Antrax death factor tends to balance out. On its peak, it's preposterous and I get targetted by every role in the game, effectively being killed 3 times, investigated, hypnotised and kidnapped. After 1-2 games where both families kill me, suddenly both families leave me alone, assuming the other would off me. Or, they have newbie mafias who think they can get me lynched through the use of "Antrax is alive after night one, he must be mafia". Or, the doctor targets me as well. Or he doesn't, but they think he does... my point is that reputation tends to even out on the grand scale. Or you could use aliases (ugh) to solve that, as well.
Antrax
"No matter it's right and wrong. It's not your turn to criticise me!" - Shing Kwun, "The Evil Cult"
Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Oct 17, 2002 2:49 am

Post by Internet Stranger »

Im certainly for a rating system, but it has to include all aspects of the game. Successful investigations, healings, etc. Being the target of nightime activities should be a deciding factor into the score.

Ill let the math geeks figure that one out though.
Show
Elvis_Knits: "IS you are a sexist schmuck, for real"

Guttersnipe: "INTERNET STRANGER: You will never get away with the crap you pulled in this game again in any game I am in, ever"

Jora: "I don't care what you say. I don't care about scumhunting. Just die, alright!"
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:11 am

Post by mith »

I'm against actually having "accurate" rankings, if we ever came up with anything that could be called accurate. I'm not, however, against putting up a list of who won what and such things. The only reason I'm even discussing a Mafia rating on the GL is for the decathlon.

If we did have a rating system, as AF points out, it would add another meta-game factor. Maybe the top players would get killed off every game. I mean, you might have one of the top 10 in the Mafia, and he might decide that he wants to go at it with others in the top 10, so he starts pushing for his family to kill the lower ranks. It would probably balance out as far as the rankings themselves, yeah, but it would add a factor into the game that I really don't want to see. Also, how would you feel if you were at the bottom of the list? Wouldn't that discourage people from playing? And wouldn't it also discourage people from listening to them?
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:28 am

Post by Antrax »

I'm not sure how different this will be than reputation. In a given game, I'm less likely to consider radwulf seriously than I would Elayne, for example. Having a rating just sort of officializes the reputation.
Antrax
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Oct 17, 2002 6:13 am

Post by mith »

Yes, but I depend on the fact that people who haven't seen me play much before think I'm absolutely mad. Making reputation official would kill me. :)
Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Oct 17, 2002 9:24 am

Post by Internet Stranger »

How about a voluntary listing instead? I used to play a MUD where they would have a top 30 list of a specific class. (Barbarian, mage, etc)

It was fun talking crap about how you were #5 on the list and competing with whoever was #6, but in general people knew it was a joke since the true top players never signed up on it.

So we could have a detailed one like that and a less detailed list with just a win/loss count.
Show
Elvis_Knits: "IS you are a sexist schmuck, for real"

Guttersnipe: "INTERNET STRANGER: You will never get away with the crap you pulled in this game again in any game I am in, ever"

Jora: "I don't care what you say. I don't care about scumhunting. Just die, alright!"
Koru
Koru
Townie
Koru
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Oct 17, 2002 9:27 am

Post by Koru »

How about instead of straight ratings, we have some kind of award system like the Oscars. Player most likely to get voted off first round, townie most likely to start a bandwagon against another townie, mafia most likely to get discovered first etc.

If we were going to have ratings I would suggest a basic team wins/loses type thing, to encourage team play and keep it simple. Then you can always blame a crap score on always getting a bad team. :wink:
Gaspode
Gaspode
Old school
Gaspode
Old school
Old school

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Oct 19, 2002 9:00 am

Post by Gaspode »

Koru's idea of a series of awards is great, but a stat page could lead to biased first-day votes and things like that (it's already happening without it, see Mafia 5, Day 1).
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:28 pm

Post by mith »

I was thinking that mods could give out a best/most interesting/funniest/whatever award. But I'm not sure about even that. :)

Return to “Mafia Discussion”