How would you like your mafiascum?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:46 am

Post by cuban smoker »

You'll have to be careful with something like that. If someone doesn't vote properly, the system won't catch it, and an unattentive mod could let a deadline go by, with that person 1 away from a lynch, when it was clear that the person MEANT to vote. There could be some complaining.
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:48 am

Post by jeep »

If they are from FL (like IS) then we can have some special voting mechanism to make it easier, otherwise, if you don't vote properly, then it won't count (just like if you don't put your vote in bold, it sometimes doesn't get caught by the mod.

With automatic vote counts, you'll see if your vote counted.

-JEEP
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:29 am

Post by mith »

I could probably just do a drop-down list or something.

Re: replacement players: I was thinking maybe I could have two slots for "user" in a Mafia post. The original poster would be in one spot, and initially, the second, but if the player was replaced, the second spot would change over for the purposes of vote counts, reading posts by a particular player, etc.

Status will be little icons (text in parens. for the no-graphics version). Also thinking of doing icons for types of threads.

I'm going to have a thing where you can associate an alias (or 5) with your main username (mainly so that you dont have to log in and out). An option would be that they could remain private to everyone else on the board (with the exception of whoever can actually look at the raw database stuff, i.e. me). Obviously someone could still register a separate name, but they could go read a separate discussion thread anyway. Still, it's an idea, so I may do that if the coding is easier. :)

Why bother threading the night discussions? The group in question could only see stuff by their group anyway, and the mod will be able to see choices easily (separate table or something). I guess it might be nicer after the game, but I'd rather them be in order than by group. What does everyone else think?

SK, calm down. I don't have easy ftp access. Now that I think about it, why doesn't Antrax just post them in his folder? I *will* look into ftp options and getting the site organized, but this isn't really relevant to this thread.

The timestamp will be when the post is actually processed. I hadn't even noticed that about this board, that's an odd way to do things. :)

Oh, nevermind, jeep cleared it up. :)

Muser, yeah, that was my thought. There's lots of ways to cheat. Usually, talking at all outside the thread (during day, or during night for non-groups) is against the rules, but people do it anyway. I think that, perhaps, if everyone is doing *everything* directly in the thread, they won't be as inclined to do stuff against the rules (even if they still could).

For the vote counts, it won't be followed by a vote count post, 'cause that will clog the thread. However, it *will* keep a vote count updated somewhere, easy to see and all that (as well as who is voting for who, etc.) Voting will be a separate field (or drop-down list like I mentioned above). I could probably do the FOS thing as well.

End of the thread is a good idea for the vote counts. For actual votes, I was thinking of putting the vote where the Post subject is right now (or in that general area. That, or at the bottom. And it could be whatever color, shape, or size you set it to, yeah.

No butterfly ballot? :)
Porro
Porro
Townie
Porro
Townie
Townie
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:21 am

Post by Porro »

If you use a drop-down voteing box, you'll need to make sure that the voter's vote appears in their post. Otherwise someone could vote secretly, or even lie about their vote. Heavens forbid that there should be deceit in mafia games :wink:
SaberKitty
SaberKitty
Supposed to be? This IS blue.
SaberKitty

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:50 pm

Post by SaberKitty »

am i really the only one who dosen't care about a drop down voting box, or who speaks even if they're not in the game/dead/it's night?

also- you people really regard FOS's
that
seriously? I've always regarded them as like a warning, or something that says- " you could be next"

am i really the only one who dosen't freak out if they die at night, or are lynched? I mean, this is a game... how can you take it so seriously?
i see the point of playing to win, but sometimes, isn't it just better to play to have fun?

-SK
[color=blue]Hug a snowman, It's a cold world out there![/color]
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:43 am

Post by mith »

isn't it just better to play to have fun?

Well yes. Unfortunately, posts by dead/inactive people sometimes make it not as much fun for the actual players. One game in particular comes to mind, over on the brunchma boards, where a dead player (mafia, even) kept on posting and basically was a major factor in the game (because we had to consider his motivation in his "suspicions"). I spent a good third of my posts arguing with him and telling him why he should just shut up. :)

The drop down voting isn't a factor on the game at all, it's just to make the mod's life easier. An FOS field would just be amusing; what does it matter if it's built into the posting mechanism?

And who said anything about caring if they die?
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:45 am

Post by mith »

Actual mithBB related update:

Learning perl is going well. I've got the main page designed in HTML, and have most of the cgi written to display that page (except for the bit that calls everything from the database, I'll have to stick that in when I learn how to use DBI :)). Once I get this one working, the rest should go much much faster. Then I can get to the actual cool stuff (posting and the mafia-specific stuff, mainly).
SaberKitty
SaberKitty
SaberKitty

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:32 am

Post by SaberKitty »

so you're disigning this yourself? that's really neat!
can you make the color scheme blueish? (you know you want to...)
also, could you include a gender option in the profile?

and you're calling it mithBB??? for real?

-SK
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:21 pm

Post by jeep »

am i really the only one who dosen't freak out if they die at night, or are lynched? I mean, this is a game... how can you take it so seriously?

Says a person who dreams about mafia...
SaberKitty
SaberKitty
SaberKitty

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:26 pm

Post by SaberKitty »

oh blah :p
Porro
Porro
Townie
Porro
Townie
Townie
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:26 am

Post by Porro »

Haven't read the whole thread, so I hope I'm not going over old ground:

1. Keep those damn fine topic and page links at the top and bottom of the threads.

2. Can we still have Avatars please.
Porro
Porro
Townie
Porro
Townie
Townie
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:29 am

Post by Porro »

SaberKitty wrote:
am i really the only one who dosen't care about a drop down voting box, or who speaks even if they're not in the game/dead/it's night?

also- you people really regard FOS's
that
seriously? I've always regarded them as like a warning, or something that says- " you could be next"

i see the point of playing to win, but sometimes, isn't it just better to play to have fun?

-SK

...and you always struck me as a rabid mafia player :?
maybe it's the blue text that did it :P

Return to “Mafia Discussion”