Steups & Random events.

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Angel Fish
Angel Fish
Townie
Angel Fish
Townie
Townie

Steups & Random events.

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:31 pm

Post by Angel Fish »

Firstly:
I've been turning over some ideas recently for Sims-theme mafia; at the moment I have a quartet of games, each exploring a different area, and with a different set-up - each also has some 'novel' element thrown in (NB: not necessarily completely novel, but at least 'novel to me'.)

I had someone look over the set-up for the last game I modded, over at Brunchma, which was really helpful, and I was thinking - I know you have lists of roles, links to games, and so on, but what would be particularly helpful, at least to me, would be a summary of the role-proportions - e.g. 20 townies 4 mafs 1 doc 1 cop, or 4 mafs 2 cult 20 townies 1 vigilante, etc.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angel Fish
Angel Fish
Townie
Angel Fish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:32 pm

Post by Angel Fish »

It would be interesting to see how, for example, more experienced mods dealt with, say, mafia who had more than one kill a night, and so on.
Would this be possible (I'd be willing to go through a few threads and work it out myself if that helped), or does it already exist anywhere? I know there are links to isolated games (e.g. wild West mafia), but what about the rest?

Secondly:
What's the general opinion of so-called 'random events'? I'm thinking in particular about roles which are activated or altered by game events, with or without the knowledge of the player - for example, eillid as the mad robot (?improbable role mafia? I can't remember). I know a lot of people don't like straightforward randomness/probability, but how about this sort of 'game event'?

ps: double posting becuase connectionn from work is shifty.
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:37 am

Post by Antrax »

It needn't be random; game-triggered events are fine. In a way, a doc protecting someone from the mafia is "a random event", by your definition. You don't really need those in a regular game, but in a theme game they add a _lot_ of flavour.

And if you can do it in the next couple of days, send me the roles and I'll go over them.
Antrax
Angel Fish
Angel Fish
Townie
Angel Fish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:16 am

Post by Angel Fish »

oooh, will do, thank you. I realise now that the theory section that's finally gone up on mafiascum actually answers sort-of half my questions. I was being slow. only three days behind current events, go me! *sigh*
Bobacino
Bobacino
Watcher
Bobacino
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:52 pm

Post by Bobacino »

I think that in-game events, as long as they are pre-planned by the moderator, could an extra flavour to the game.

Say, for example, after six days, a bus arrives in town somewhere in the middle of the desert (where the game is set). The moderator could have secretly gotten five or six new players to join through PM and distributed new roles. All the players are then given a newspaper snippet revealing that some serial killer is travelling north, trailed by the FBI. The game would suddenly grow and not only would there be more townies for the mafia to be suspicious of, there is also a serial killer on the loose. But hang on... maybe now its time to tell one of the existing townies (before the bus came) that he was actually the serial killer all along and now he wants to eat some people. Everyone goes mad thinking that one of the new 6 people is a serial killer when he's actually always been there right under everyone's nose...

I think pre-planned narrative events would add a hunk load to some games.
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
It was THIS big!

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:31 pm

Post by Dragon Slayer »

That's an interesitng example, although quite a bit different from what most of us are used to here. Still, like your other idea- I say "go for it"! Sounds interesting.

Btw, it would seem that even though it's very interesting, it might put the SK or maifa at a slight disadvantage. I don't know, I could have just intrpreted it wrong. It's late, I'm going to bed. Night.

-DS
Ever wonder why that edit button is obnoxiously placed in the center like that? Yeah, that's cause of me.. and trust me, it's better off there.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”