Random Mafia thoughts

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Beaudoin
Beaudoin
Watcher
Beaudoin
Watcher
Watcher

Random Mafia thoughts

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:07 pm

Post by Beaudoin »

What happens when an unstoppable force (SK whose targets are killed regardless of the protection(s) on that person) hits an immovable object (a person who is protected from all forms of night kills)?

Why is it that the fun roles die night 1 and/or get inactive players?
Beaudoin responds: "Hey! Well, no hard feeling, I guess. Since 2 is greater than 3, I'll help y'all string up Medicated Lain" -jeep, Minigame 20
eillid
eillid
Watcher
eillid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:42 pm

Post by eillid »

Well...

The entire game poofs out of existence.

The roles only seem fun because you can't play with them.

There. :)
Bobacino
Bobacino
Watcher
Bobacino
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:26 am

Post by Bobacino »

What happens when an unstoppable force (SK whose targets are killed regardless of the protection(s) on that person) hits an immovable object (a person who is protected from all forms of night kills)?

Thats sort of like when your buddy shoots you with a "
get-through-anything-bullet
" in the playground and you smugly reply with a raised eyebrow: "a-get-through-anything-bullet, eh? Well, looks like Im suckered... except you didn't count on my
any-anything-proof-shield
! Mwah hahaa!"

This debate has been taken up throughout the world with mixed conclusions. I am, myself, of the
anything-proof-shield
school of thought but there are many colleagues of mine who think the opposite. It is a contraversial issue that we tend to keep under wraps.
Corsato
Corsato
Goon
Corsato
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:05 am

Post by Corsato »

This is a situation which will only occur with a bad game design, and will be solved by a decision of the mod. It is either the shield that wins, or the bullet, there is no tie possible.

That's just your imagination I guess. Maybe you should dig up some stats about it :).
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:10 am

Post by jeep »

Heh, actually, I think that the weapon is usually a half step ahead of the armor. As soon as someone comes up with armor that stops the current "best" weapon, someone comes up with a "better" weapon.

From a game play point of view, it shouldn't ever come up because the mod will have thought the game through already.

-JEEP
Porro
Porro
Townie
Porro
Townie
Townie

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:35 am

Post by Porro »

Beaudoin wrote:What happens when an unstoppable force (SK whose targets are killed regardless of the protection(s) on that person) hits an immovable object (a person who is protected from all forms of night kills)?

If you reconsider this (a bit more scientifically), as an unstopabble object (the SK bullet) meeting an immovable object (the armour protection) the occurence can be expressed using the following formula:

b(i(g^k)+a(bo^o))/m = w/i(pe^o)+u^t

Thus there are no survivors :lol:
Porro
Porro
Townie
Porro
Townie
Townie

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:46 am

Post by Porro »

Bobacino wrote:

Thats sort of like when your buddy shoots you with a "
" in the playground and you smugly reply with a raised eyebrow: "a-get-through-anything-bullet, eh? Well, looks like Im suckered... except you didn't count on my
! Mwah hahaa!"

This debate has been taken up throughout the world with mixed conclusions. I am, myself, of the
anything-proof-shield
school of thought but there are many colleagues of mine who think the opposite. It is a contraversial issue that we tend to keep under wraps.

This is actually one of the experimental proofs of the above formula. However, the result has to be interpolated, since the 'playground scenario' is an imperfect case.

You see, in the above example, other external forces influence or 'contaminate' the experiment. These forces include the 'whack-your-ass-father' and 'you're-grounded-for-a-month-mother'.

However, even in these imperfect conditions we can see quite clearly that the coming together of the
and the
will result in bloody noses, and bust lips.

Interpolating these results to omit external contaminant forces, we see quite clearly that under 'perfect conditions' there would indeed be no survivors.
Bobacino
Bobacino
Watcher
Bobacino
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:15 am

Post by Bobacino »

Perhaps you are right, Porro, perhaps you are right.

However, as food for thought, often it is the case that an unstopabble force meets an immovable object in the scenario of the simulated media experience of WWF wrestling. Yet, rarely do we see any blood or real violence. The wrestlers, proported unstobbale forces and immovable objects, collide with little more than a silly sound effect and possibly a "Gosh, that's gotta hurt" from the commentators. How do we explain this phenomenon? Could it be that the parties involved are mere human flesh like me or you?

And then there is the "wobbly" theory which states:

"If something will not stop, no matter what it hits yet it hits something that just won't budge... well then it goes all wobbly and bends around it."
Chuck
Chuck
Goon
Chuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:22 pm

Post by Chuck »

The game branches into two games. A new thread is started for the extra game and the original posts are copied to it. Both games are then played in parallel. In one game the bullet is stopped. In the other it penetrates the shield.
Jalyn
Jalyn
Goon
Jalyn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:36 pm

Post by Jalyn »

Yet, rarely do we see any blood or real violence

Er, you don't watch wrestling all that much do you? Bleeding is a highly common event - I've often wondered about their AIDS testing programs while watching 2 or more men bleed in the ring together.

(And yes, it general is blood - they cut themselves with razor blades that are concealed somewhere in their ring gear if it is planned. Unless it's from the mouth, those are either accidents or fake blood capsules.)

*Watches waaay too much wrestling*
Bobacino
Bobacino
Watcher
Bobacino
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:14 am

Post by Bobacino »

My apologies, Jalyn.
Porro
Porro
Townie
Porro
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:47 am

Post by Porro »

I always wondered if it was real, razored, or fake blood.

How can you be sure Jalyn? Are you a WWE wrestler? Are you Stacey Keibler? If so PM me. Now. Please. I beg you. I want to have your babies. Just don't tell my wife. Oh, wait, she already knows. So it's ok then. No. Stop Stacey. Where are you going? Stop running. Please.

:cry:
Beaudoin
Beaudoin
Watcher
Beaudoin
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:36 pm

Post by Beaudoin »

Watch any number of those "EXPOSED!!!!!!" wrestling programs. They reveal a lot of the "secrets" that wrestling organizations don't tell the fans, but don't exactly attempt to cover up either (techniques to avoid getting hurt, breakaway objects, razorblades in the shorts).
Beaudoin responds: "Hey! Well, no hard feeling, I guess. Since 2 is greater than 3, I'll help y'all string up Medicated Lain" -jeep, Minigame 20
Dourgrim
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Yep. Again.

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:16 pm

Post by Dourgrim »

Is it just me, or does the idea of putting a razor blade in your tights seem like a singularly bad idea?

I have a personal philosophy I try to live by: keep sharp objects away from me, and especially anything below the belt!

:lol:
[size=75]The point of the journey is not to arrive...[/size]
Nightmare Dragoon
Nightmare Dragoon
Watcher
Nightmare Dragoon
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:31 pm

Post by Nightmare Dragoon »

I have... META-INVINCIBLE-INVINCIBILITY!
And haven't decided what it MEANS yet. Myar.
My opinion on the unstoppable force-immovable object crisis depends on my mood... usually, I'm all for the object.
'I'm a GIRL, dangit!'

*You are in an open field west of a big white house with a boarded front door.*

Return to “Mafia Discussion”