Cuban Smoker's Philosophies

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Bobacino
Bobacino
Watcher
Bobacino
Watcher
Watcher

Cuban Smoker's Philosophies

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:45 pm

Post by Bobacino »

This is just a post to ask
Cuban Smoker
, and those that follow his dream of a lurker free Mafia game, what is going to happen to the deceit and stategy of Mafia in his quest for a
New World Order
?

• :?: Will the Mafia game be
    raped of its strategy
    if everyone is talking all the time?
    :?: Won't scum find it
    easier to blend into the crowd
    during the chaos?
    :?: Why am I asking these questions when
    I can't wait to play
    Cuban Smoker's upcoming game?
    :?: When is CS going to
    get hiss ass in gear
    and let me play in his wonderous game so I can stop looking suspicious for talking too much?
Ciao,

Bobacino.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:51 am

Post by cuban smoker »

Mafia was originally designed as a face-to-face game, having evolved from other similar games like murder and witch-hunt. IRL (in real life), the equivalent of a lurker is someone who sits and watches the game, not contributing to the flow of ideas. Now, from my experience, players can get away with this for a day or two, until someone points out that they haven't been saying much. This is usually a kiss of death. Think about it: you know some of your friends are scum, and one of them is just sitting there, watching you as you plot to kill them all. The rest of them are talking it up, arguing, making fools of themselves. You naturally associate the minority: those not talking, with the minority you are seeking: the mafia.

Unfortunately, you lose that visibility online. You never can see the big picture, the circle of all the people playing, because only a few posts fit on your screen at once. You know you are seeking mafia but because you have less information online, you look for guilty parties where it is most obvious: those that have recently posted. Someone who posts a lot finds him/herself a target more and more often as their name keeps coming up in discussion and in the bar on the left. You naturally associate the minority: those talking a lot, with the minority you are seeking: the mafia.

Entrie articles could be written about the differences between the two games, but the important part of this argument is answering the first two parts of Bobacino's question.

Part 1: Will the game be raped of its strategy? I believe the answer is an emphatic 'no'. The goal of changing the philosophy of the game would be to move the online game back towards the IRL game. Give the players more information, not less. Obvioulsy drivel and blather will not help the game move along, but IRL my friends would point out the silliest little things as possible mafia behaviour. There isn't enough of that, as not everyone notices everything. More people commenting means more ideas come to surface. Increase the strategy in the game by promoting more conversation, more arguments, and more mafia slips. I have made a few references to mistakes I have made that could have gotten me lynched. I'm sure these happen all the time. The more someone posts, the more likely they will forget they can't say something they want to say. More people talking means more oportunities to catch these slips. Stupid and pointless day 1? At the peak of this type of game, it doesn't exist. Perhaps the accusation have less substance, but accusations and voting history have a way of actually being relevant. We can all become super-sleuths as we try and find the little details that will raise the level of the game. Random bandwagons will be all but eliminated as things like logic, text analysis, and intelligent banter take over. Every game will be like its own mini-mystery. The game will be reborn.

Part 2: Will the mafia be able to hide amid the chaos? They already do, my friend, they already do. As noted above, by forcing everone to talk, the number of mafia posts will increase, and the number of potential slips as well. If players attack each other with little arguments, little defenses will have to be constructed. Reactions can reveal entire roles if read into properly. The game will become more interesting, and more playable. Can they actually hide? If the mafia are posting, they can be caught. It's that simple.

At this point I should point out that many people have discusses their distress over long posts. However, the only complaint I have heard about the quantity of posts is too little! I believe, as a rule, that interest in the games will become contagious. Just look at IR and discworld. Interesting games with many posters that just take off on their own accord.

Part 3 and 4: If by wonderful game, you mean the upcoming INTRIGUE MAFIA, you have every right to be anxious. The only thing I am waiting for now is the conclusion of one of the normal games. Only 3 normal games at a time, not inclduing the free pass games. If I were to start signups now... Wait... I could start signups now. It will probably take a week or two to collect them. By then... game 6 should be over...

Go sign up for my game!
Bobacino
Bobacino
Watcher
Bobacino
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:24 am

Post by Bobacino »

Cuban smoker, you are a posting legend. Let the transcendance to extreme fun commence.

I salute you!

:D
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:43 am

Post by Antrax »

Forcing people to talk has failed in the past. See: Verbose mafia, Realtime mafia. It just gets people dead or replaced, not really verbal. Or they abuse the posting rules.
Antrax
quercitron
quercitron
Watcher
quercitron
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:49 am

Post by quercitron »

I thought Verbose was quite successful. Only Macros broke the posting rules, IIRC.
SaberKitty
SaberKitty
Supposed to be? This IS blue.
SaberKitty

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:11 pm

Post by SaberKitty »

yeah, i thought verbose was nice. the deadlines and such, though a bit much, really kept the game game going. but playing in such a game must have been very time consuming- wasn't it about 30 pages by the end? (I spent about 3 days reading the whole thing- long but oh so cool)

-SK
[color=blue]Hug a snowman, It's a cold world out there![/color]
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:27 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

The point is we wouldn't be forcing anyone to talk with strict posting rules, but rather
encouraging
extra posting.
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:17 pm

Post by Antrax »

IIRC in Verbose people just stuck to the letter of the rules, and it didn't quite work the way it was supposed to. Then again, I can't remember all 50+ games by heart, so :)
Antrax
Bobacino
Bobacino
Watcher
Bobacino
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:12 am

Post by Bobacino »

If people just post more often because it's in the rules, then nothing will change. If people are posting because it will make the game more fun and will help them to play Mafia in a different and more exciting way, then surely there is nothing to lose.
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:59 am

Post by jeep »

Part of the problem comes from the forum being used. People expect to be able to leave message boards for a few days here or there. I know I do. In fact, I've been silent in most of my games for the last 3-4 days because I've been slammed with other duties.

Part of the problem comes from the fact that people who talk a lot with no real information to back it up get lynched.

Part of the problem comes from people prioritizing RL responsibilities over their responsibility to the game.

I'm sure there are many other factors.

-JEEP
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:59 am

Post by Antrax »

Naturally. The question is always how to motivate people. If you can figure that out, all the better. But so far, adding a rule to force people to post hasn't really work towards that end.
Antrax
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:55 am

Post by mith »

Verbose was great, we Mafia just got hurt by a clumsy doctor. :)
Bobacino
Bobacino
Watcher
Bobacino
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:25 pm

Post by Bobacino »

I doubt that anybody questions the priority of RL duties over MafiaScum. However, I beleive that a game could and should be made to cater for those with extra time, or at least manageable duties. If there exists a minority of players who strive for and desire a game that rewards their prolific style of posting, why not grant those players that genre of game? MafiaScum is, to me, about providing an eclectic mix of online strangers with the resources needed to have fun utilising the rule structure of the RL Mafia game. It is not, to me, about enforcing strictures of previous Mafia enterprises.

If somebody wants to try to help existing players who are not wholely satisfied with the current state of affairs, then why oppose their grand gesture? More power to them, I say. Let the alterations commence, and may their effects be analysed with fair council and criticism.
Dourgrim
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Yep. Again.

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:04 am

Post by Dourgrim »

I've noticed that, in a few of the game threads I've been reading while waiting for my games to start, there have been numerous mentions of the theory of how much a player should talk. It usually goes something like this:

> If you talk too much, you're trying to BS or mislead people and therefore are scum.
> If you don't talk enough, you're trying to fly under the town's radar and therefore are scum.

[rant]Although I do understand the logic behind both of the above arguments, I don't see how accepting that logic (or even propagating it via repetition) can do anything but hurt the game. Mafia does not function as a game without people talking, period. I, for one, will continue to post as often as I feel I have something valuable to say... and if I end up getting lynched repeatedly for attempting to contribute, then perhaps the problem's not with me. [/rant]

Now, having gotten that off of my chest, as a newbie I guess I have to ask this so I can play the game properly by mafiascum.net standards: when it comes to posting, how often is too often? And, inversely, how often is not often enough? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? :D
[size=75]The point of the journey is not to arrive...[/size]
Bobacino
Bobacino
Watcher
Bobacino
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:09 am

Post by Bobacino »

I would love to give you a formula, but I reckon it's probably down to experience. Hopefully in Cuban's new game, that will not be an issue.

Sebastian.
Quailman
Quailman
Mafia Scum
Quailman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:13 am

Post by Quailman »

...or post a lot but be careful never to say anything of substance.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:20 am

Post by MeMe »

Dourgrim, you forgot to mention that if you post an average number of times in a game, you're trying to blend in and
must
be mafia...

It's a game of suspicion. No matter what you do, people will want to pin blame on someone who isn't them! I do think, however, that the frequent posters are often the ones formulating the theories that make the mafia sweat. But if all players would adopt Cuban Smoker's philosophies (which goes something like "POST AWAY!!"), we'd be playing the game in the best/most fun way.
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza

Return to “Mafia Discussion”