Role ideas?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
mneme
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
emneme mneme mninie mno

Role ideas?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:58 am

Post by mneme »

How about:

Bodyguard: (like doc, but kills any killers who target your target. Can't guard your own body)

Scoobies: Mason group (should be small; 2 in a minigame, 3 otherwise) that conducts investigations.

Bad Cop: like paranoid cop, but the person will appear to be guilty if killed that day, and anyone who investigates on the same night (or the night after) that a bad cop will see them as guilty too. True roles post mortem will be revealed when the Bad Cop dies. Anti-town, but doesn't know it.

Resurectionist: Must kill one character per night. May resurect one dead player per night. Pro-town, sorta.

Impersonator: Hard to do, but...can designate one player per night. That player must say whatever you tell them to during the next day (but you cannot say anything that day, since you are busy "impersonating" them?) Best as an anti-town role.

Lawyer (or Judge): Can prevent one lynching every day (secretly). Cannot prevent his or her own lynching. Is much more useful as an anti-town or Mason role, obviously.
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:48 am

Post by Antrax »

You should read the "roles" section... most (if not all) of these have been done in the past.
Antrax
mneme
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
emneme mneme mninie mno

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:59 am

Post by mneme »

re-read, you mean?

Just did; it's a fairly badly designed section (as in, ulless you edit the URL, you have to thread around a lot to see all the pages), but did read the entire thing (again).

Only one of these roles is even slightly mentioned there -- the scoobies (ie, a team who catches bad guys, which as a combination mason/cop role, is probably too strong for most games).

What I don't see are any even slightly like the bodyguard (which is a fairly high-powered role, but is mitigated somewhat because unlike a cop, your chance of finding mafia doesn't increase as you eliminate suspects), the resurectionist (a helpful serial killer!), or anyting that messes with information flow like the impersonator and bad cop.

And while I've seen a "Lawyer"-like role in use, they're usually publically known; what might work well is a two person mafia with one of them being a one-use "lawyer", thus allowing them an extra day to work if one gets lynched. And if there was a mason group as well, this wouldn't even necessarily mean the "saved" player was mafia.
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:55 pm

Post by Antrax »

Lawyer (mayor), bodyguard and scoobies (cop masons) have all been done in the past. Ressurection and the such are also unheard of. Maybe the roles section just needs to be updated, then. I think there's a "roles" thread somewhere with like 3 pages of ideas.
Antrax
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:11 am

Post by Norinel »

Ressurection was/is possible in Time Travel, by, say, a doctor going back in time and healing someone. The catch is that it means roles can't be revealed publicly on death, or else everbody'd know who they were when they came back.

My silly untried idea (Probably for a game where roles aren't revealed anyway): Medium- May, once in the game, tell the mod at night to hold a seance at the beginning of the next day, during which everyone may speak with one dead player for a limited time. (Perhaps 24 hours)
Quailman
Quailman
Mafia Scum
Quailman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:27 am

Post by Quailman »

One that I had suggested in the GL was a Katherine Harris role. She was the Secretary of State in Florida during the 2000 Presidential election. This role could tell the mod once during the game that on the next day, when the majority (or deadline) is reached, the person with the
second-most
votes gets lynched, in stead of the one with the most votes. Alternative - handle it by e-mail during the day. I didn't work out how to handle ties for second - maybe the one with the highest number of votes for at any time during the day, or first to get a vote at all that day.
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
It was THIS big!

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:21 am

Post by Dragon Slayer »

I'm throwing some new roels (i think) (or at least an intesting way to connect roels with "powes") into my theme gmae, Wild West. It'll probably be a while until it starts though.
Ever wonder why that edit button is obnoxiously placed in the center like that? Yeah, that's cause of me.. and trust me, it's better off there.
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:27 am

Post by PolarBoy »

My new idea for a role is the Stalker. A stalker may, ona given night, select another player to stalk. From that time until the target player is lynched, the stalker will be informed of all of their target's night actions, but not necesarily the results or what the player's role is. The stalker may not select a new player to target until his original target is dead.

So, what do you think?
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Mar 10, 2003 8:01 am

Post by jeep »

It's a weak Lassie...
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Mar 15, 2003 5:46 pm

Post by PolarBoy »

I had another idea for a role, maybe it's already appeared though. Psychic vigilante(Pro-town): There would be more than one psychic vig in a game. They would be capable of killing someone if a certain number of them all targeted the same person at night. No psychic would know who the others were, but they'd be capable of identifyiing each-other by a code-word that they would all be told in their role e-mail. The word would have to be something that had some likelyhood of appearing in a normal Mafia game, but also not so common that it would appear in every post.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
Beaudoin
Beaudoin
Watcher
Beaudoin
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Mar 15, 2003 6:51 pm

Post by Beaudoin »

Here are a few I've created and/or would really like to make into viable roles.

Prophet: See Minigame 21. As this incarnation died night 1, and a second try in another game, with the same basic role *also* died night one, I consider this untested. Bastards.

Mafia Mole: Kind of like a mafia traitor/backstabber, to be paired up with a non-mafia role (say, Big White Van), who don't know each other. Each night he can send in the name of one mafia member (including themselves, if they wish) to the mod, who then encodes/riddles it and sends it to the BWV. Upon cop investigation and death, he is revealed as a plain mafioso. If the BVW is killed/lynched, then the mole has to work on his own to lynch the mafia. Some major problems with it include the Mole just saying "Hey, X, Y and Z are mafia, and W's the Godfather!"

Blue Mage: If you're a Final Fantasy fan, you should grasp the basic concept from the name. He's like an ability thief, only he can use abilities that are used on him. For instance, if a cop investigates him he can investigate one player, if a doc protects him he can protect one player. For convienience's sake in multi-role games, you can just group them into larger categories such as "Investigation," "Protection", "Killing" and "Troublemaking". Actions also have any stipulations on them (if the doc protection silences a player during the day, then so will the BM's protection, if a paranoid cop investigates him, the BM's investigation will be paranoid).
Beaudoin responds: "Hey! Well, no hard feeling, I guess. Since 2 is greater than 3, I'll help y'all string up Medicated Lain" -jeep, Minigame 20

Return to “Mafia Discussion”