Some questions about a setup

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Stewie
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Some questions about a setup

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:42 pm

Post by Stewie »

Ok, i was looking at quagmires mini game, and I thought of an idea.

When signing up, I say, for example, that I need 18 players. The players sign up in the thread, and I add them to the list, and so on. Then, I send the roles, and one person will be the mafia. The way it would work is that everyone has to make a blind account, and that person has to make 3 of them, if it was a 3 player mafia. And the game goes on, with 20 players, but only 18 real people.

Now, the questions are:
  1. Would this set up work?
  2. Would it be fair for everyone?
  3. Is it interesting?
  4. Should I start it before or after quagmires game? (maybe when his game is done, the players can give the players in my game the username/password combination and play with that, instead of making so maky accounts. Those accounts can also go to a future blind game)
  5. Is it mini material or big game material?
  6. Is it themed or normal?
If you think it just sucks, at least try this thing called constructive critisism. :wink:
TBuG
TBuG
they/them
I win
TBuG
they/them
I win
I win
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:51 pm

Post by TBuG »

That would be REALLY fun.

1. The only problem is the town would know who the extra accounts are because they would have been created later and they wouldn't have been signed up originally.

2. Yeah, I guess.

3. OH yeah!

4. After.

5. BIG. Definitley.

6. I'd say themed, because of game mechanics.
rolandofthewhite (5:40:28 PM): It would be weird living with Thesp. All the hookers murdered and skin lying around. :(
gslamm
gslamm
Goon
gslamm
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:04 pm

Post by gslamm »

[*]Would this set up work?

Yeah
[*]Would it be fair for everyone?

No
[*]Is it interesting?

No
[*]Should I start it before or after quagmires game?

No
[*]Is it mini material or big game material?

Big
[*]Is it themed or normal?

Themed

[*]If you think it just sucks, at least try this thing called constructive critisism. :wink:

Agreed.
A big part of the games appeal would probably be lost if you take away the group dynamics.
I also have a disagreement with "blind games". I mean we are already blind. (At least I hope my webcam isn't broadcasting now.) So we know "Rite /gslamm/ mathcam/ MeMe"... are playing. How does that change things instead of "RiteyMcRiteRite / Jumper/ Formula/ Babe ..." ?
[size=84]"Hmm, wow.. I'll just sit back and watch the stupidity continue to unfold.. "- genku Mixed Theme [/size]
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:16 am

Post by Norinel »

Stewie, it's an old idea that's been previously proposed here. Not that that means you shouldn't do it.
gslamm wrote:I also have a disagreement with "blind games". I mean we are already blind. (At least I hope my webcam isn't broadcasting now.) So we know "Rite /gslamm/ mathcam/ MeMe"... are playing. How does that change things instead of "RiteyMcRiteRite / Jumper/ Formula/ Babe ..." ?
Because you know other games where rite, et al have played, so you may know or think you know something about their strategy. One argument that's been used against me (In Mini 52) was that my posting style was different from the last game I did with that player.

But I don't think they're worth the inconvenience enough to be worth running yet. I think one far-off feature enhancement may be ways to make alias games easier to run.
Last edited by Norinel on Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wacky
Wacky
Goon
Wacky
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:21 am

Post by Wacky »

Post times.

If the mafia player was in a weird timezone like myself he would be discovered pretty quickly unless he actually changed and varied his internet connection times to compensate and that would be really hard.
...whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
CaptainBlicero
CaptainBlicero
ARRRRRRRR!
CaptainBlicero
ARRRRRRRR!
ARRRRRRRR!

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:48 am

Post by CaptainBlicero »

I used to really like the idea of "blind" mafia games (i.e. games with aliases). Then I played in a few of them. In general, players tend to get bored very fast in alias games, and non-participation becomes a problem.

There are a lot more problems than that, however. Your setup is almost cruelly unfair to the guy who is playing mafia. He would lose the benefit of being able to discuss the game with other players, and he'd also have to "fake" two personalities for an entire game. Also, if for some reason the mafia guy lost internet access for a few days, it would be tragically obvious when all his accounts stopped posting. In addition, 3 mafia is the typical sized mafia group for a 12 player game. That's 3 mafia vs. 9 townies. You are proposing a setup up of 3 mafia vs. 17 townies, but your scheme is even more unfair then that, because in terms of brainpower, it's 1 mafia brain against 17 town brains. Adding more mafia accounts won't help the problem, because then the poor mafia guy will have to successfully play-act 5 more people, and unless he has no job and no social life, will be totally unable to do so.

If you have a way around these problems, I'd be interested to hear it, but it seems to me as if this scheme is totally unworkable.
Stewie
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:48 am

Post by Stewie »

@ gslamm: the whole point of it being blind is that otherwise, there would be the old accounts, and hen 2 new ones, which will be taken as mafia inmediatly.

@ CB: the "3" againtst 17 was just an example, not really going to be like that, maybe I can get 2 different players to play mafia, 2-3 accounts each. it would be a problem if they both lose their internet access, but what are the odds? :o

@ PBuG: I won't tell if the mafia is using old accounts or new ones, so that wouldn't be a problem.

@ Norinel: I'll check that right now.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:37 am

Post by mathcam »

As to post times, in the blinvitational, part of the challenge was actually to figure out which new username corresponded to which old username. Every player sent at night something like "I think RayCharles is mith, Tiresias is MeMe, Polyphenus is Antrax, etc." At one point, JEEP took the time to check out post times and got almost everyone right from then on, scoring him some major points.

But yeah, people just don't like logging out, posting, and logging back in again. It's a pain.

Cam
Corsato
Corsato
Goon
Corsato
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:17 pm

Post by Corsato »

I personally just don't like blind games. I guess it has someting to do with the forum being bad at switching users. Most of the time I'm just too lazy :).
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:15 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

Blind games are annoying, for above listed reasons. I espcially dislike logging out and back in. Oh, and I like meta-gaming. Each of you has your own personality in my mind, and that's an integral part of my playing. I do not like trying to figure out 20-30 new people, and then forgetting about them when the game is over. That's not social, which is one of the reasons I play Mafia at all.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:11 pm

Post by MeMe »

Handy meta-game tips for use when playing with cuban smoker:

--if he flips out and starts insulting the intelligence of everyone in the game, he's probably innocent (things to look for: bolded font much larger than necessary, phonetic screams, the phrase "what is
wrong
with everyone/you people/you idiots")
--if he flips out and starts spamming the thread with ridiculous explanations, he's probably scum
--rest assured, he
will
flip out
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
Dourgrim
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Yep. Again.

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:29 pm

Post by Dourgrim »