Hello again

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Hello again

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:00 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

So... I have checked in on this mecca once every few weeks or so, just to see how you guys were getting along without me. I'm taking too many courses at school, but my midterms are winding down, and I think I will slowly be returning to Mafia. But... I think I will concentrate on moderating for the time being.

Key things for me to consider:

Intrigue Mafia. Clearly there was, and still is, interest in the game. But something like 60 pages seem to have been lost permanently, and that saps my energy like a wet piano on my chest. Unless there is overwhelming desire to somehow continue it, I will do a general reveal of the game.

If Intrigue takes the noble path and quietly acknowledges its untimely demise, I will instead launch another game, in the Free Market. It will be one of three things: Logic Mafia, Security Council Mafia, or the exciting and misterious sequel to Intrigue Mafia.

All I know about this game is that it will be ridiculous. So many ideas will be combined. I suspect it will bear some resemblance to Antrax's new game, but then again, it won't. I'm already confused. Awesome.

So, although nothing will happen for a week or two, I just thought I would let you know my return is inevitable.
Wacky
Wacky
Goon
Wacky
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:24 pm

Post by Wacky »

Cool, but are you sure you won't disappear again after?
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:52 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

I think the circumstances of my "disappearance" were a little different than you imply or even perhaps realize. For instance, its not like I abondoned Intrigue Mafia... it got run over by the server-failure truck, or some wholly-owned and operated subsidiary's service vehicle.

So, if whatever new game I started to run happend to also get pimp-slapped in some similar way, I suppose I couldn't promise to stand by its battered and bruised body.

However, there is a certain brand equity to the name cuban smoker. In my relatively short time with the GL and mafiscum, I think I have at least developed a reputation for being reliable.

What this means to you, is that in our free market forum, I would expect my "customers" to make educated decisions about how to entertainingly waste their time. So when the time comes, feel free to make a point of not signing up if you think I'll leave you to pick up the hotel rent cheque.
Dourgrim
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Yep. Again.

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:52 pm

Post by Dourgrim »

First and most importantly...
welcome back CS!
:D Glad to have you back amongst us!

Now, regarding Intrigue Mafia: I loved that game, I loved every last ridiculous post and/or unnecessary page worth of posts (in Day One alone!), and I loved my role... but I think I'd be utterly lost and clueless (even more so than usual) if it were to resume. It's been
months
since I've read it or even
thought
about it, and I expect we'd see a Day full of a lot of "I don't know" and "I don't remember" posts... which would be an injustice to the game. Let it go, let it lie with dignity.

OK, dramatics over, but I made my point. Now, on to this other game you want to run... all three ideas intrigue me (pun intended), although I lean more toward the "sequel" game for nostalgia's sake. Consider me
/in
whichever one you decide to run, CS.
[size=75]The point of the journey is not to arrive...[/size]
d8P
d8P
The "I told you so" guy
d8P
The "I told you so" guy
The "I told you so" guy

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:56 pm

Post by d8P »

YAY! Welcome back CS!
I missed you, bud. Thrilled to have you back. Damnit man, now see what you've done. I've gone all mushy in public. Again.

I still have up to
page 46
of Intrigue saved as html. I tried to send it to mith a couple of times but I'd never used ftp before and it didn't work, I think. And then you split anyway, so I left it on the back burner. It's at home so I'll have to wait until later to find out which was the last post I saved. If I hadn't been kidnapped I would've saved all of it, too.
I've been itching to know what the hell was with those damn sports scores.

Should I just use GLpics to host those pages and link them to a post or is it easier to just upload them via ftp (read: can anyone here explain to an idiot how to do this ftp funkiness)?

London mafia was revived. A full review was needed to get the game back on track. I don't think there'll be so much work involved for Intrigue (since summaries were being done along the way). People will need to be patient when it comes to replacements, but I really would like to see Intrigue revived.
Totem
Totem
Saves London
Totem
Saves London
Saves London

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:54 am

Post by Totem »

Welcome back CS. It's good when players with "certain brand equity" are back.

If only Intrigue was in my language. I feel that reading that much may be beyound me. But I am interested in anything with 'Logic' in it.
[size=75]Saves London.[/size]
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:25 am

Post by PolarBoy »

46 pages still leaves out a whole lot of important stuff. When I signed up for the continuation, I was still thinking a reasonably complete backup would appear. That has not happened. I would certainly be glad to play Logic or Intrigue 2 though.

And now, something a little different.

Intrigue mafia was great.
There were confusing twists and turns,
A small town in Canada trying to write a constitution,
wizards, warriors, and O.J. Simpson.
60 pages of debate about hockey scores.

Intrigue was like a carnival ride.
Your ride could be over and you could still come back for more.
The days were whole games in themselves,
Lasting glorious eternities.
the nights were like days,
moving with the ponderous slowness of deep thought.
60 pages of people not getting along and having a great time at it.

I will miss Intrigue.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
Thoth
Thoth
Not the spot
Thoth
Not the spot
Not the spot

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:50 am

Post by Thoth »

I would certainly be /in for one of your games :) . I joined after you left, but I read through some and they seem like fun.

Oh and welcome back of course.
d8P
d8P
The "I told you so" guy
d8P
The "I told you so" guy
The "I told you so" guy

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:49 am

Post by d8P »

Sorry, I just checked and I have up to page 54 as one page: thanks to Jeep's "all" feature. That's about 90% of the game. What do the rest of you think?
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:57 am

Post by mathcam »

CS, you were sorely missed.

I'm up for either way. It would probably take a lot of work to recover the game, but I think it was fun enough that it would be worth it, and 90% really is a lot of it (Thanks, d8P, by the way). On the other hand, if it's just too much work for CS, then I'll be first in line for whatever is the next thing to pop out of his head (assuming it is some mafia game and not a bodily organ or something).

Cam
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:15 am

Post by PolarBoy »

uh...according to google 46 pages out of 60 is only 76.66%. 90% would be 54. And if I remember correctly a lot happened in those last 14 pages. By the way check this out.
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
d8P
d8P
The "I told you so" guy
d8P
The "I told you so" guy
The "I told you so" guy

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:40 am

Post by d8P »

Google shmoogle.
Now read my last post. :D
And stop changing the subject. I don't have time to squander contemplating crap like why we're all here. Pffft.

But I think I need to rephrase my question. I have 54 out of the 60 pages. We have had as yet uncorroborated reports that this is, in fact, 90%, though as I said, this has yet to be confirmed. Assuming this goes unchallenged, we have to ask ourselves the question what happened to that other 10%? And while we're in such a philosophical mood, why not ponder the vicissitudes of life? In fact, why not go the whole hog, and enjoy some of the little time we have here engaging in the celebration of wit and wisdom that is Intrigue Mafia?

[only 42% of the statistics in this post can be trusted]
Last edited by d8P on Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:43 am

Post by cuban smoker »

I thought we were up around 68 or so. At least, Corsato (I think) claims to have pages 65-68 or something like that.

I still have all the role information, and all the nighttime activities. I was not aware we had so much of the early part of the game saved... I guess all is not lost. Well... I think a poll is in order.
d8P
d8P
The "I told you so" guy
d8P
The "I told you so" guy
The "I told you so" guy

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:46 am

Post by d8P »

Where do I click?
I can go out more when it's through :)
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
It was THIS big!

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:12 pm

Post by Dragon Slayer »

I think Gasopde and my overwhelming desire to play is enough...really.

On a lighter note, what's up CS. I was just thinking about when you were going to come back. How ironic.
Ever wonder why that edit button is obnoxiously placed in the center like that? Yeah, that's cause of me.. and trust me, it's better off there.
Gaspode
Gaspode
Old school
Gaspode
Old school
Old school

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:43 pm

Post by Gaspode »

CS IS BACK!!!!! WOOHOO!!! PARTY!!!! etc, etc.

I've posted in the Intrigue thread in Queue already, but I had to express my joy here as well. :D I'd love to see Intrigue come back, but you might as well put me down for the CS subscription service--I'll play pretty much anything you run, especially Security Council or Logic Mafia, as those are two areas in which I'm interested anyway. :)
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:09 am

Post by PolarBoy »

heh, ok, so there's more intrigue than I thought. Actually, I probably would've played if you started it anyway. Losing pages 55-64 and having the game freeze for 6 months just seems appropriate for Intrigue.
Quailman
Quailman
Mafia Scum
Quailman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:15 am

Post by Quailman »

Who's Cuban Smoker?
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:15 am

Post by mathcam »

Yeah, I apologize for the out-of-game discussion, but I thought it would be fair to tell everyone who's been waiting that all this was because of my role.

Once per game, I can cause mafiascum.net to crash, delete the last ten pages of the game, and make Cuban Smoker go away for 3 months. I assure you this was a pro-town role. I was just trying to help the town. Don't lynch me.

Cam
d8P
d8P
The "I told you so" guy
d8P
The "I told you so" guy
The "I told you so" guy

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:36 am

Post by d8P »

Man.
Confirm vote: Mathcam

Yeah right. That's way too powerful to be pro town.
God
God
Goon
God
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:39 am

Post by God »

He's lying! that's my role! im betting a mafia spy

vote Mathcam

FOS Quailman
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:22 am

Post by PolarBoy »

I think it's an evil plot organised by Deep Red to break our spirits so that we can never challenge it. Ya hear that? I'm on to you IBM.

* shoos away the echidnas that won't stop bothering him *
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
It was THIS big!

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:50 am

Post by Dragon Slayer »

Vote Mathcam
FOS at Quailman
for not knowing who CS is.
Ever wonder why that edit button is obnoxiously placed in the center like that? Yeah, that's cause of me.. and trust me, it's better off there.
Dementia Blader
Dementia Blader
Goon
Dementia Blader
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:43 pm

Post by Dementia Blader »

hmm..If you won't publicly reveal the roles and such of Intrigue, would you mind pming it to me?

I read what was there and I have to say it intrigued me

oh, and mathcam is innocent. I am cop, and invetigated him :D
gslamm
gslamm
Goon
gslamm
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:57 pm

Post by gslamm »

Mathcam = innocent ?? :shock: Now we know your not sane!
[size=84]"Hmm, wow.. I'll just sit back and watch the stupidity continue to unfold.. "- genku Mixed Theme [/size]

Return to “Mafia Discussion”