Should a vig who shoots N1 be Modkilled?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.

Yes or No?

Yes
5%
No
95%

Total votes: 194

PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:57 pm

Post by PokerFace »

Vig should always try to kill who they think is scum on N1. They should do the same every future night unless having one less player for town is perceived as ending the game overnight. If its N0 you should kill any player with a reputation or ruining games and or ruining the fun for everyone. For example if there is someone in your game that has ruined a previously concluded game by posting their role pm day 1, kill that player now!

Only reasons you should mod kill a player is if they purposely break site and or game rules in a way that ruins everyone else's fun
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:19 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I’m taking your opinion with a pile of salt because of your sig lol
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:55 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I’m eagerly awaiting the follow up thread to this: Should a doc who heals be modkilled or a cop who investigates?

I think think it’s a close call but this thread even beats the quickhammering ban thread - just barelyl :lol:
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:09 pm

Post by PokerFace »

In post 150, PokerFace wrote:Vig should always try to kill who they think is scum on N1. They should do the same every future night unless having one less player for town is perceived as ending the game overnight. If its N0 you should kill any player with a reputation or ruining games and or ruining the fun for everyone. For example if there is someone in your game that has ruined a previously concluded game by posting their role pm day 1 and its currently night 0 and you are a vig, kill the game ruiner now!

Only reasons you should mod kill a player is if they purposely break site and or game rules in a way that ruins everyone else's fun
In post 151, Gamma Emerald wrote:I’m taking your opinion with a pile of salt because of your sig lol
I won't always kill on night 0 as vig. Put me in a game with some of the most respectable players who have a history of great games as multiple alignments, I am killing no one night 0.

Put me in a game with one game ruiner on night 0 and give me a kill, I can tell you exactly who I am killing. If there is more than one previously banned, site rules breaker in the game, its gonna be dependent on how I am feeling that day and or if I got a dice or a coin near by to decide which bad player gets it
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:44 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

It's normally mathematically correct to vig on N0, and aim for someone who's good at scum and bad at town. (Note that such players often tend to be game-ruining or highly erratic, so this has a very high correlation with PokerFace's strategy.)

There are some setups in which N0 vigging is incorrect, but they're rare enough that it's only worth doing in an Open (when you've analysed the setup and calculated that it's a bad idea).

However, most good moderators won't allow players access to N0 vig kills anyway, as doing so means that you have to get more players for your game and not all of them get to play.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:29 am

Post by popsofctown »

Vig kill functions very similarly to a lynch..

Anyway, if you think a power role should only be used a specific way that is very different from how it is used in site meta, it's potentially possible that you're right and everyone else is wrong. Excluding the role from your games would probably be the best call.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Leucosticte
Leucosticte
Townie
Leucosticte
Townie
Townie

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:39 pm

Post by Leucosticte »

I played a game where I fired randomly on N1 and the result was that (1) most of the townies got angry and decided to punish me by ostracizing me the rest of the game, and (2) most of the scum kept their silence about it. So an astute observer could've paid attention to the reactions and gotten a read on who were likely scum.

Actually, what I did was, I announced on D1 that I was vig, and who my target was going to be that night, and that I was doing this to prove I was town. My thought was, in this way I could (1) get a shot off before getting killed and (2) narrow the pool of suspects by two, since I would be at that point confirmed town and the target of the shot would be out of the game.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:05 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

9 month bump
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:34 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

A warranted bump, this is one of the all time great ms shit-threads
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Leucosticte
Leucosticte
Townie
Leucosticte
Townie
Townie

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:45 pm

Post by Leucosticte »

In post 7, Kublai Khan wrote:When the OP says "N1" does he really mean "N0"?
I always say that "N0 means yes" but some people insist it needs to be consensual

From https://archive.werewolv.es/extra/livev ... e=PostGame :
A D2 lynch would be implied consensus from the village/wolves and therefore have some control or influence over it. A night 1 maverick shot that in most statistical probabilities is going to harm the town rather than help it, made by a single individual, is a different matter.
Last edited by Leucosticte on Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:46 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 0, DoomYoshi wrote: So, what if a vig shoot an innocent child?
That’s practically becoming an epidemic on this site, I’m so glad you brought attention to this cancer.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Leucosticte
Leucosticte
Townie
Leucosticte
Townie
Townie

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:05 pm

Post by Leucosticte »

In post 115, petapan wrote:if you have ever killed town in a game when you were also town, then you were wrong and will continue to be wrong always and should therefore never try again because you will always fail. that's how things work.
Yeah, pretty much.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:09 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

You should also never play mafia again if you have ever lynched town
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:26 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 159, Leucosticte wrote:
In post 7, Kublai Khan wrote:When the OP says "N1" does he really mean "N0"?
I always say that "N0 means yes" but some people insist it needs to be consensual

From https://archive.werewolv.es/extra/livev ... e=PostGame :
A D2 lynch would be implied consensus from the village/wolves and therefore have some control or influence over it. A night 1 maverick shot that in most statistical probabilities is going to harm the town rather than help it, made by a single individual, is a different matter.
I was a vig in my last game and took 2 shots with a 50% scum kill rate.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Leucosticte
Leucosticte
Townie
Leucosticte
Townie
Townie

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:30 pm

Post by Leucosticte »

In post 163, Kublai Khan wrote:I was a vig in my last game and took 2 shots with a 50% scum kill rate.
Were those N1 shots, though.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:33 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 162, RadiantCowbells wrote:You should also never play mafia again if you have ever lynched town
lmao
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:33 pm

Post by Ankamius »

iirc I've only ever been able to vig someone N1 once and it was on scum

do I win
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:54 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 164, Leucosticte wrote:
In post 163, Kublai Khan wrote:I was a vig in my last game and took 2 shots with a 50% scum kill rate.
Were those N1 shots, though.
The first night after Day1? Yes.

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:57 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I think we can all agree that no competent game mod, ever allows vig shots/factional kills on n0. :lol:
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Leucosticte
Leucosticte
Townie
Leucosticte
Townie
Townie

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:03 pm

Post by Leucosticte »

In post 167, Kublai Khan wrote:The first night after Day1? Yes.
It was the same way over at werewolv.es; there had been three prior games (wlf-024, wlf-038, wlf-045) where a N1 militia (aka vig) shot took out scum, and I tried it and was unlucky enough to take out a friendly power role (the Diseased; when scum kills them, they're unable to kill the next night). So thus far, there's a 75% rate of the vig taking out scum on N1 since I was the first one to try it and hit a townie.

Maybe a N1 shot is similar to the king's gambit in chess. Supposedly, it's been refuted, but if you play it against people who aren't prepared for it, it can give you an advantage.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:23 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I dayvigged scum D1 so suck an egg, haters
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:01 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 169, Leucosticte wrote:
In post 167, Kublai Khan wrote:The first night after Day1? Yes.
It was the same way over at werewolv.es; there had been three prior games (wlf-024, wlf-038, wlf-045) where a N1 militia (aka vig) shot took out scum, and I tried it and was unlucky enough to take out a friendly power role (the Diseased; when scum kills them, they're unable to kill the next night). So thus far, there's a 75% rate of the vig taking out scum on N1 since I was the first one to try it and hit a townie.

Maybe a N1 shot is similar to the king's gambit in chess. Supposedly, it's been refuted, but if you play it against people who aren't prepared for it, it can give you an advantage.
I'm not sure if any analysis has been done here about the accuracy rating of vigs for N1 shots. If I had time, I'd probably look into it. My gut feeling is that statistically they shouldn't take a shot since there are entirely way more town than scum, but in practice, the ratio is beneficial to town. Same as on your site.

But personally, based on the dozens of games I've played I wouldn't include a vig in any setup I design. The role is powerful and too swingy. How much advantage and disadvantage the town gets from the role is entirely dependent on who happens to randomly receive the role.

A lot of setup designers try to mitigate that wild variance by putting limits on the role. Such as reducing the number of shots it can take (1-shot Vigilante - only has one bullet during the entire game).

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Leucosticte
Leucosticte
Townie
Leucosticte
Townie
Townie

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:14 am

Post by Leucosticte »

In post 171, Kublai Khan wrote:I'm not sure if any analysis has been done here about the accuracy rating of vigs for N1 shots. If I had time, I'd probably look into it. My gut feeling is that statistically they shouldn't take a shot since there are entirely way more town than scum, but in practice, the ratio is beneficial to town. Same as on your site.

But personally, based on the dozens of games I've played I wouldn't include a vig in any setup I design. The role is powerful and too swingy. How much advantage and disadvantage the town gets from the role is entirely dependent on who happens to randomly receive the role.

A lot of setup designers try to mitigate that wild variance by putting limits on the role. Such as reducing the number of shots it can take (1-shot Vigilante - only has one bullet during the entire game).
Yeah, over on Werewolv.es, the militia has only one bullet for the whole game. I think part of the reason for including the militia as a core role may be that the games are on a 24-hour (12-hour day, 12-hour night) cycle, and some players just show up for maybe 20 minutes and then are gone for the day; so a situation could arise where there isn't enough time to get everyone to change their votes if some revelation (e.g. an unexpected counterclaim) happens at the 11th hour; and therefore the militia may just have to act during the night on his own initiative in those cases. Also, there's the kind of situation where it's a 4-player endgame, and you know Player B is trustworthy, but aren't sure which of Player C or D is scum; you could just lynch C and shoot D, and it would be a village win. (You wouldn't want to just No Lynch because then the scum could kill Player B in the night.)

Anyway -- what ended up happening was, when I did a N1 vig, I got taken to task pretty harshly, which I think is their normal practice for dealing with people who make what they consider dumb plays. And I suspect this is because it's a small site, and they have experts in the same games as beginners and just generally sucky and/or low-effort players. So, the experts get annoyed when weaker players mess up their game.

What they probably should do, when they became able to, is have expert-only games where those with more experience, higher win-rate, etc. can play against those who are at their same level of skill. But I think if anything, they're starting to de-emphasize win-rates, because they removed that data from their statistics page.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:17 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I’m honestly curious if the 7 “yes” voters were actually serious or just trolling. :lol:
Last edited by Nancy Drew 39 on Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:13 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 172, Leucosticte wrote:Yeah, over on Werewolv.es, the militia has only one bullet for the whole game. I think part of the reason for including the militia as a core role may be that the games are on a 24-hour (12-hour day, 12-hour night) cycle, and some players just show up for maybe 20 minutes and then are gone for the day; so a situation could arise where there isn't enough time to get everyone to change their votes if some revelation (e.g. an unexpected counterclaim) happens at the 11th hour; and therefore the militia may just have to act during the night on his own initiative in those cases. Also, there's the kind of situation where it's a 4-player endgame, and you know Player B is trustworthy, but aren't sure which of Player C or D is scum; you could just lynch C and shoot D, and it would be a village win. (You wouldn't want to just No Lynch because then the scum could kill Player B in the night.)

Anyway -- what ended up happening was, when I did a N1 vig, I got taken to task pretty harshly, which I think is their normal practice for dealing with people who make what they consider dumb plays. And I suspect this is because it's a small site, and they have experts in the same games as beginners and just generally sucky and/or low-effort players. So, the experts get annoyed when weaker players mess up their game.
Yeah, that strategy sounds right. If you have only 1 shot, then you should maximize the results. Every community has their style and quirks. With shorter days (compared to ours), then their arguments kinda make sense. If they can only play a few minutes a day, they may enjoy our style more because several RL days can go by in every phase.

But everytime there is an agreed-upon "best practice", then the scum (or werewolves in your case) are developing ways to best counter the best practice. It's always important to constantly challenge the status quo ideas of "this is the best way to play".

Generally I've found "experts only" games to be boring. New players and wild cards add error and chaos which good town can hunt in and scum can take advantage of.

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated

Return to “Mafia Discussion”