Newbie Setup (Matrix6 implemented)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #825 (ISO) » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:36 pm

Post by Muffin »

In post 824, Mina wrote:
In post 820, Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:But I've also told Mina previously that I'm willing to help trying to design a better set-up if she sets up a PT with some other smart set-up designers.

I'd wanted to do newbie surveys first, so as to confirm that people were getting confused by the set-up in real life and not just in my imagination. Otherwise, I was afraid of investing too much time into solving a problem we don't have and then confirmation-biasing ourselves.
Reminder #22566 that I need to do newbie surveys.
I have no issue starting this PT if people want it, though, as long as there's no guarantee we use whatever design it comes up with.

Can I /in to this PT purely as an observer who wants to watch the creative process unfold and thus learn about setup design?
One's self-meta cannot be known without invalidating it.
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #826 (ISO) » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:48 pm

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

In post 824, Mina wrote:
In post 820, Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:But I've also told Mina previously that I'm willing to help trying to design a better set-up if she sets up a PT with some other smart set-up designers.

I'd wanted to do newbie surveys first, so as to confirm that people were getting confused by the set-up in real life and not just in my imagination. Otherwise, I was afraid of investing too much time into solving a problem we don't have and then confirmation-biasing ourselves.
I have no issue starting this PT if people want it, though, as long as there's no guarantee we use whatever design it comes up with.

Fair enough!
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #827 (ISO) » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:02 am

Post by quadz08 »

In post 825, Muffin wrote:
In post 824, Mina wrote:

Can I /in to this PT purely as an observer who wants to watch the creative process unfold and thus learn about setup design?

You're gonna get weird stuff out of a newbie setup design - a fair chunk of what goes into designing a newbie setup doesn't matter elsewhere.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #828 (ISO) » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:44 am

Post by Muffin »

I still find it interesting.
One's self-meta cannot be known without invalidating it.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #829 (ISO) » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:55 am

Post by Nero Cain »

I still think that mini normals would serve perfectly as newbie games.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Fromage
Fromage
Goon
Fromage
Goon
Goon

Post Post #830 (ISO) » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:06 am

Post by Fromage »

I think the setup is fine as it is.

As a VT you don't have to know all PRs. It's enough to read the wiki articles as soon as someone claims. As a PR it's possible to narrow down the setup to two possibilities. Not too much reading either. Scum is probably the hardest to play as a Newbie. However the likelihood that two of the 9 Newbies are scum is only 42%. Most often there is an experienced player around to help.

It's important to remember that mistakes happen. Nobody can expect perfect play of a Newbie. So if a Newbie doesn't know that he should counterclaim as doc/bulletproof, it doesn't really matter. The game isn't lost because of such an inaccuracy. The experienced players can kindly explain it afterwards and the Newbies learn something.
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #831 (ISO) » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:24 pm

Post by N »

In post 829, Nero Cain wrote:I still think that mini normals would serve perfectly as newbie games.

mini normals are not created nearly often enough to meet the demand of the newbie queue.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #832 (ISO) » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:10 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

*shrugz* I think if we were to put our minds and effort into it, it wouldn't be that hard to churn out a ton of min normals.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #833 (ISO) » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:25 pm

Post by N »

go ahead then
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #834 (ISO) » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:28 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

gotta get rid of the newbie queue

N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #835 (ISO) » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:49 pm

Post by N »

gotta have a lot of setups ready before you can do that
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
Fromage
Fromage
Goon
Fromage
Goon
Goon

Post Post #836 (ISO) » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:46 am

Post by Fromage »

One simple idea: What do you think of changing the tracker into a watcher?

It would discourage scum from nightkilling the IC / strong town voices which quite often happens. Some have named it as

The change would certainly favor the town. However I don't know how much it would favor town over scum. Furthermore the tracker setups currently have the second and third lowest town winrates (42 and 44%).
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #837 (ISO) » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:03 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

Goon/Watcher/Doctor?

Town claims hoping for that setup, they have two confirmed town that can't be killed without giving away a scum.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #838 (ISO) » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:40 pm

Post by JasonWazza »

Then you instant lose one setup to win the other.
Returning win rate: 4/1, 80%
In the process of creating a game to mod, we will see what it holds.
Fromage
Fromage
Goon
Fromage
Goon
Goon

Post Post #839 (ISO) » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:38 am

Post by Fromage »

Thanks for explaining why it's a bad idea.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #840 (ISO) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:56 am

Post by callforjudgement »

I think I might have just found a partial breaking strategy for Matrix6?

At the start of day 1, any town Tracker claims. If such a claim is made (meaning this is setup C or 3), the other town power role claims non-vanilla, but doesn't claim the details of their power role. Players counterclaim if they hear someone claim something impossible (note that a scum Tracker claim is
always
counterclaimable, by the JK in setup A or 1, Cop in setup B or 2, and the real Tracker in setup C or 3). This inevitably either leads to a day 1 1v1 (which is definitely beneficial to town), or else two confirmed townies, and town have power roles on top of that. (Additionally, scum won't know who to shoot; if they aim for the Tracker they'll run the risk of hitting a Doctor protection, and if they aim for the other PR they might be Bulletproof. Either way, the scum kill is probably being directed away from strong scumhunters, giving town a large advantage; it's almost like they get to play in a 2:5 with no kill N1 or N2, except they have the benefit either of a Tracker shot or of a hard-to-kill unkillable confirmed townie, and that's even if scum guess
right
about who to kill.)

If everyone's verified to not be a Tracker, then it's probably best to play as normal (although I can see an argument for using a similar procedure to the above in setups A and 2 by getting the Doctor/BP to claim, it probably isn't worth it due to the roleblocker; that said, the smaller lynchpool would improve the chance of lynching the roleblocker and almost guaranteeing a town win in setup 2). Nonetheless, town will get a small advantage from the additional information they have about the setup (there's a 50% chance scum knew anyway, but even if they didn't, the information probably helps town more).
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #841 (ISO) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:15 am

Post by JasonWazza »

In post 840, callforjudgement wrote: At the start of day 1, any town Tracker claims.
Scum just shoot the tracker, fact is you may as well 50/50 it and just try and make sure your not using who the tracker would likely be tracking.

I wouldn't really call it game breaking by any means, it just means your likely to lose a PR instantly 50% of the time for no real reward (having a known tracker claimed, he still has to actually be on the Scum that is killing the doctor)
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #842 (ISO) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:51 am

There's a 50% chance there'll be a Doctor protection on the Tracker, though. When that happens, it guarantees that the Tracker will get off two investigations and survive until mylo. So shooting the Tracker is a pretty risky move from scum's point of view. The reward is mainly in the dayplay, rather than the nightplay (you're confirming two players, thus shrinking the lynch pool, and you're also making it hard for scum to shut down strong townies with their kill); the nightplay stuff is just a bonus.
scum
town
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #843 (ISO) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:55 am

Post by JasonWazza »

1. Your making the assumption that neither of the PR's are strong players.
2. If the kill fails on the tracker you just up and shoot the doctor (who has claimed) and as you said, you will enter a mylo state forcing a no lynch, so all you gain is an extra day, not anything useful.
3. The only reason the claims should affect the dayplay is because you are playing with new players, and this seems like a really shitty way to introduce them to Mafia.
4. it's basically the same reason we don't have a watcher/doctor, because you just lose 50% and win 50% in trades, one win rate will go up a lot, the other will go down, and in the end you have gained nothing.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #844 (ISO) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:13 am

1. If they were, they'd be shot overnight anyway, so you aren't losing anything.
2. What you gain is a lynch from a pool of 7 on D1, followed by a lynch from a pool of 6 on D2, and a lynch from a pool of 5 on D3 (as opposed to the normal 9, 7, 5); additionally, if you hit scum on day 1, the pools are 7, 5, 3, 2 (compared to 9, 7, 5, 3) and if you hit scum on day 2, the pools are 7, 6, 4, 3 (again compared to 9, 7, 5, 3). This is because the Tracker is not only confirmed, but can also confirm townies without fear of dying. A D1 scum lynch when the Tracker is claimed and protected is almost unbeatable for scum. That's never going to happen if you don't claim. It's sometimes going to happen when you do.
3. I agree it's a bad way to introduce new players, but that's a fault of the setup, not the strategy itself. The claims affect the dayplay because, obviously, you don't lynch a confirmed townie (also, you know that their stated opinions are genuinely held). Innocent Child is a considerably stronger role than VT in terms of dayplay. Also, the statistics are quite clear that in Nightless games (where scum can't control who dies overnight), town winrates are
much
higher than predicted by EV theory; in games with a normal day/night cycle, town's success is comparable to chance or even worse. That's pretty strong evidence that the ability to control a kill is very valuable for scum.
4. I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.
scum
town
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #845 (ISO) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:22 am

Post by JasonWazza »

1. I disagree, you don't always shoot the strong players, but either way that doesn't really change the point, your only changing them from strongly seen as town to confirmed town, not really a benefit if they are shot either way (and protected either way).
2. I mean in most games the lynch pools are normally 7 on D1, you just don't out the PR's straight away (unless it's for a CC), i don't see any real benefit to early outting of your PR's when you can avoid it so much more by just getting claims before a lynch.
3. I don't see how the setup is at fault for what your calling a breaking strategy, that doesn't really break anything, all it does is increase one win rate and decreases the other one, you could do the same thing in most of the setups, but no benefits are really gained by doing so (as you're forcing more losses in certain setups.)
4. What i mean is that your giving up some of the win rate for one setup, to benefit the win rate of the other setup, no real benefit is actually gained, just a change in the win rates (tracker/doctor win rate would go up, while Tracker/BP win rate would go down, because optimal is always just to shoot the tracker and hope for the best).
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #846 (ISO) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:00 am

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

I would point out that it's not really a negative for the mafia to have shot the BP. It just puts the game to Evens and you might want to kill the BP at some point anyway. If I were scum and you tried your breaking strategy, I'd do the following: if my partner gets lynched D1, just take the risk of shooting the Tracker N1 (this is unquestionably a negative for the town); if a townie gets lynched, shoot the non-Tracker first which guarantees the Tracker only gets the pretty uninformative N1 result. Then you're mostly just dealing with 2 confirmed townies, which isn't town-sided as far as I know (the 7p set-up with 2 masons had a 8/9 scum win rate); certainly it's not uncommon for both PRs to go uncounterclaimed in a Matrix6 game anyway.
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #847 (ISO) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:18 pm

Post by Creature »

Tracker and 1-shot BP setup looks bad. It goes to even but it won't go to odds unless town nolynches.
Sigh
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #848 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:19 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

Yeah I'm not remotely surprised that it's the worst town win rate of all newbie setups.
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #849 (ISO) » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:56 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

Also, I think the semi-open nature of the newbie setup is a good way to bring newbies along on the learning curve; among other things, a fully closed I think skews too heavily in favor of fake claims by veteran players, since newbies won't really have a sense of balance and what makes sense, while semi-open keeps it in range of where fake claiming is a PLAUSIBLE strategy even though it's still dangerous and risky. I also think that having an overall knowledge of what roles are or aren't in the game helps focus efforts and discussion on scumhunting and the day game, which is the the most useful thing for learning anyway.
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”