mini normal modding

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

mini normal modding

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:22 pm

Post by N »

I didn't want to clog up the queue thread, so I thought I'd better make a thread in here.
In post 312, Tierce wrote:Please take note: The process for applying
as a moderator
for the Mini Normal queue has changed.

You are expected to have a setup ready for review when you join this queue.
When you sign up to mod a Mini Normal, I will send you a private message requesting the following setup information:
  1. Number of players;
  2. Your opening posts (rules, flavor, and a copy of your Vanilla Townie role);
  3. The complete text of all role PMs;
  4. Any hidden moderator information;
  5. Whether you would like the setup reviewed for normalcy only, or normalcy and balance.
Prospective mods who do not provide all of the necessary information within
seven days
will be removed from the queue.

Allowances will be made for the moderators who are currently in the queue and have not yet sent in their setups.
Why is the option to only have a setup reviewed for normalcy an option? I know it's always been there (as long as I've been a member, anyway) and it's always confused me. I assume it's the same for large normals.

Why would anyone want their setup only reviewed for normalcy? And why would anyone want to play a Normal game that is not reviewed for balance?
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:27 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

In case someone wanted a role madness Normal.
To be clear: quack
Eddard Stark
Eddard Stark
Mafia Scum
Eddard Stark
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:34 pm

Post by Eddard Stark »

In post 0, N wrote:And why would anyone want to play a Normal game that is not reviewed for balance?
What happens if you disagree with the normal review people on what's "balanced". (And say 2 other people you know/respect agree too). Is there definition of balance more "correct"*

*Realistically I don't see a scenario where this happens but it seems technically possible.
War has arrived!

PM me for Dead QT access!
Tamuz
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:38 pm

Post by Tamuz »

Alternatively you don't want to waste the Normal Review Board's time because your cabal has already reviewed the set-up to death.
Tamuz is the expression of the alienated, of the ambitious, of the dispossessed.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:42 pm

Post by Tierce »

In post 0, N wrote:Why would anyone want their setup only reviewed for normalcy? And why would anyone want to play a Normal game that is not reviewed for balance?
The former exists, though speaking personally, I do not understand how someone would not want their setup triple-checked. As for the latter, the queue has a key on setups reviewed for normalcy alone, so prospective players know what they might be getting into.

The system exists not only to give moderators the option, but theoretically to relieve some of the pressure placed on the Normal Review Group. Reviews for normalcy alone are faster than complete balance reviews.
SleepyKrew wrote:In case someone wanted a role madness Normal.
This doesn't really happen, because there is a line on Normalcy; setups that may technically be Normal may still be vetoed by the NRG, regardless of the moderator's wish for a Normalcy-only review. The Mini Normal queue seeks to provide a certain type of Mafia experience, and deviating too far from that norm makes games more appropriate to other queues.
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:59 pm

Post by N »

In post 2, Eddard Stark wrote:
In post 0, N wrote:And why would anyone want to play a Normal game that is not reviewed for balance?
What happens if you disagree with the normal review people on what's "balanced". (And say 2 other people you know/respect agree too). Is there definition of balance more "correct"*

*Realistically I don't see a scenario where this happens but it seems technically possible.
How is this any different than disagreeing about balance for a theme game?
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:58 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 5, N wrote:
In post 2, Eddard Stark wrote:

How is this any different than disagreeing about balance for a theme game?
Theme games don't have an organized group of people attesting that the setup is balanced.

I think the answer is more what people are expecting but too polite to say - that the option to only have the game reviewed for Normalcy is for people who don't care about balance (or the time it takes to balance a game to three peoples' specifications, as that tends to take much longer than checking for Normalcy).
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:23 am

Post by N »

It really doesn't take that long for the Normal Review Group do do their thing. For my completed game, it took about three days and that was with changing about half the power roles.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:18 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

It only takes forever if someone is not paying attention (usually the prospective mod, but occasionally a reviewer).
Retired as of October 2014.
Eddard Stark
Eddard Stark
Mafia Scum
Eddard Stark
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:21 am

Post by Eddard Stark »

In post 7, N wrote:It really doesn't take that long for the Normal Review Group do do their thing. For my completed game, it took about three days and that was with changing about half the power roles.
Your initial setup was probably decently balanced. I'm assuming you're going to get some mods who will be more stubborn about changing stuff, or who may start with a setup that is basically no where near balanced -- this is obviously going to take longer. You'll have to try and find out what pieces they want to keep, etc.
War has arrived!

Eddard Stark
Eddard Stark
Mafia Scum
Eddard Stark
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:21 am

Post by Eddard Stark »

Has anyone said NO to balance in the history of the mini normal queue?
War has arrived!

Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:16 am

Post by Tierce »

In post 10, Eddard Stark wrote:Has anyone said NO to balance in the history of the mini normal queue?
Yes.
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon May 09, 2016 2:50 pm

Post by N »

I HAVE SLAIN THE BEAST
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon May 09, 2016 3:15 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

I'll just mention again how glad I am that I never have to run a normal game again due to the experience I've already accumulated.

I think it's ridiculous to require balance reviews from groups of people that I've never seen completely agree on WHAT is balanced.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed May 11, 2016 9:24 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

In most of the reviews I've been in, the reviewers end up agreeing that the setup is as close to balanced as it will reasonably go, and that's when it gets passed for balance. Basically, it counts as balanced if you can no longer balance it better. The moderator often has a choice between several versions of the setup that are close balance-wise.

Note that it's not always the case that reviewers agree on
why
the setup is balanced. There's a sort-of balancing act where reviewer 1 thinks the setup is townsided and reviewer 2 thinks the setup is scumsided so you change the setup in a way that reviewer 1 thinks makes scum more likely to win and reviewr 2 thinks makes town more likely to win. The reviewers typically identify such changes spontaneously without the mods having to think of them.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu May 12, 2016 5:39 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 13, Zachrulez wrote:I'll just mention again how glad I am that I never have to run a normal game again due to the experience I've already accumulated.

I think it's ridiculous to require balance reviews from groups of people that I've never seen completely agree on WHAT is balanced.
4 people know more than one. Esspecially when it comes to something that is mostly a judgement call like balance. The average opinion
will
be better than that of a single person.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu May 12, 2016 9:19 am

Post by Zachrulez »

The fact that it's a judgment call is exactly why I don't think it should be required to be reviewed.

Also based on my last few experiences running normals, the reviews are far from timely.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu May 12, 2016 9:27 am

Post by Ircher »

In post 16, Zachrulez wrote:The fact that it's a judgment call is exactly why I don't think it should be required to be reviewed.

Also based on my last few experiences running normals, the reviews are far from timely.
Yeah, reviewers aren't very attentive.....
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]

Return to “Mafia Discussion”