What did they mean by this?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
It was THIS big!

What did they mean by this?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:47 am

Post by Dragon Slayer »

A player in a newbie game said this:
So, I'll vote: Someone and remind you how ineffective role claims to defend yourself are if you're town.
WTH are they talking about?

-DS
Ever wonder why that edit button is obnoxiously placed in the center like that? Yeah, that's cause of me.. and trust me, it's better off there.
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
It was THIS big!

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:49 am

Post by Dragon Slayer »

Feel free to use this as a thread to ask questions about what some people say in/out of a game that you would like explained/debated. Like if you're not in the game where the person says this- bring it here to discuss.

-DS
Ever wonder why that edit button is obnoxiously placed in the center like that? Yeah, that's cause of me.. and trust me, it's better off there.
bigbenwd
bigbenwd
got thread?
bigbenwd
got thread?
got thread?

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:02 am

Post by bigbenwd »

i didnt even get that quote at all lol
"Plato is a lot of fun. It comes in many colors. You can put it through the plato fun factory, and make spaghetti out of it. You shouldn't eat it, but if you do, your poop turns different colors."
-Werebear
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:01 am

Post by cuban smoker »

Is this game still running? If it is, its bad to talk about it outside the thread, what with the threads being public and all. If its done, I'll gladly rip into the claim.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:59 pm

Post by MeMe »

The game in which the quote appeared is still going...and I agree with cuban smoker that it shouldn't be talked about until the game is over. Just because we're not actually "in" the game doesn't mean that our discussion couldn't have an effect on what happens therein.
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
It was THIS big!

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:04 pm

Post by Dragon Slayer »

Alright, sorry.
Carmine
Carmine
Goon
Carmine
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:40 pm

Post by Carmine »

I'm sure there was a "newbie questions" thread, but I can't find it... This seems like a good title, so this'll do tho.

Anyway, which timezone is "scumtime" please? I've been trying to work it out, but I can't.
I don't want to be a hair, I want to be a DRAGON!
gslamm
gslamm
Goon
gslamm
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:59 am

Post by gslamm »

The country of Texas is located in the Central Standard Time zone (GMT-6). Quite a few of our members are from Missouri, also CST.

I guess a better answer to your question is: "It's always Scum Time" or "Whatever time it is where your at is Scum Time"
[size=84]"Hmm, wow.. I'll just sit back and watch the stupidity continue to unfold.. "- genku Mixed Theme [/size]
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:59 am

Post by Norinel »

It seems to be based off of "GL time", the time zone the GL uses for all time displays. However, users can set their own time zone on this forum.
bigbenwd
bigbenwd
got thread?
bigbenwd
got thread?
got thread?

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:37 am

Post by bigbenwd »

"GL time" is probably New york or eastern time zone this board is also eastern on default. (GMT-5)
"Plato is a lot of fun. It comes in many colors. You can put it through the plato fun factory, and make spaghetti out of it. You shouldn't eat it, but if you do, your poop turns different colors."
-Werebear
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:12 am

Post by PolarBoy »

The default time here is GMT. I leave it that way and any time I set a time for anything in any sort of game it's GMT. All this, even though my own time zone is PST, or GMT -8. But I think it's ultimately up to individual mods to make it clear to the players what timezone deadlines are set by.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:00 am

Post by cuban smoker »

Good ol' GMT. I always set my game times at my local time, EST, reminding people that its (-0500).
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:09 am

Post by Talitha »

When I refer to scum-time, I'm meaning the time that is displayed on the Mafia Scum site when you're not logged in. (I have no idea what actual time zone it is).

I used this in the game I'm modding because NZ time is almost a day out from most other time zones.

Sorry if I've caused any confusion.
Someone
Someone
Well, we gotta remove Someone
Someone

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:36 am

Post by Someone »

*ahem* if we could get back on topic...

It means that if you're in a plain game, you shouldn't role-claim because if you're a doc or a cop, you don't want to claim, and if you're a townee, there's no point in claiming because a mafia could do exactly the same thing. At least that's what I think.
This is just here so my posts don't look so ugly when I edit them.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:14 am

Post by modargo »

Heh. To answer the original question, I sent a PM to Dragon Slayer back when this thread was first made. I'll just quote it here.
In PM to Dragon Slayer on Dec 28, modargo wrote:Think about it. It's a newbie game, and the roles are exactly defined. Two mafia, one cop, one doc, three townies. So, if you get bandwagoned and you aren't the cop or doc, what are you going to claim? Townie. And the mafia will be claiming townie too (unless they want to make a gambit and try to fake cop/doc). Thus, if you're town[ie], role claiming is completely ineffective in newbie games.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:46 am

Post by cuban smoker »

Ah good, the game is over.

Claim: Role-claiming if you are town actually is a good idea.

IF the game is plain vanilla, with no special roles - townies and mafia only,
THEN role-claiming is trivial.

IF the game has ONLY cops as special roles,
THEN a role claim by a cop is absolutely necessary if the town will lynch the cop otherwise. The cop should reveal all they know, and prepare to die that night to confirm the innocents he has revealed. If the cop does not reveal, his information dies with him. A role-claim should be a last resort, but IS effective.

IF the game has cops and doctors,
THEN a cop MUST role-claim when pressed, as he still has doctor protection. A doctor should lie, either claiming townie or cop (under the premise that the mafia won't target an exposed cop with a doctor still alive).

IF the game has many roles,
THEN a claim will allow you to reveal whatever you know, AND will allow doctors and similar roles to decide wether you are worth protecting. It IS sometimes to your advantage to lie when role-claiming. But it is still EFFECTIVE, as a good lie will mislead the Mafia, while harming the town less.

THUS, claiming as town is effective.

It should be noted that claims are in most cases a last resort against lynching. Luckily, most scummers first try to diffuse bandwagons with logic, as they should. Claiming too early can be very damaging, but that's a discussion for another thread.

I will also gladly argue the point that lying can be effective, if done properly.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:50 am

Post by cuban smoker »

And to argue modrago's PM:

Mafias will not always claim townie. Clever Mafias can get away with claiming cop or doctor, especially in the end game. The real one must come out, and trade one mafia for a special role. That is, if the town lynches right, the mafia kill the other one. And if the town lynches wrong, they lynch right the next day.

However, I think a doc has a lot to gain by claiming townie. The cop should still claim cop, granting him doctor protection. Claim = effective.
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:36 pm

Post by jeep »

The default time here is GMT.
Not true, unless there is a bug. It should be GMT-5.

-JEEP
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:28 am

Post by PolarBoy »

oh...sorry. I think I set it myself and forgot. Never mind.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]

Return to “Mafia Discussion”