Testing a Votecounter (prev. Any Mods Willing to Volunteer?)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Testing a Votecounter (prev. Any Mods Willing to Volunteer?)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:29 am

Post by Thesp »

Are there any mods out there who are willing to help me test out an automatic vote-counter I've been working on? There will be cake. If so, all I need you to do is this:

1) On the first page of the game (preferably in the first post), you must include an area tag with the title as "Living Players". Inside this area tag, on a separate line for each, is a list of every living player in the game. If a player has been replaced, the current player
must
be listed first, then afterwards preceded by " (replaces playername)". If replacing multiple people, each must be listed within the parentheses like so: " (replaces playername; playername2; playername3)".
2) In the same post, you must include an area tag with the title, "Links". Inside this area tag, you can have links to different parts of the game, but the last link
must
be a link to the first post of the most recent Day, and be written like so: "Day X - Post 273". (Actually, all I
really
care about is that there is at least one link in the area, and that the last "word" of the last link in the area is the post number for the most recent Day.)
3) Let me know that your game conforms to these standards.

Here's an example of what you would need on the first page:

Code: Select all

[area=Living Players]
Bob
Carol (replaces Joe)
Sue (replaces Tom; Lisa)
Julio
[/area]

[area=Links]
[post=#3329643]Day 1[/post]
[post=#3329643]Night 1[/post]
[post=#3329643]Day 2: Post #532[/post]
[/area]

...and how that code looks:

Living PlayersBob
Carol (replaces Joe)
Sue (replaces Tom; Lisa)
Julio

Links

I might do this super-fast and have a beta version done by next week, or it might take me significantly longer and it takes a few months. No telling. It depends on how much time I can carve out for this project. Likewise, I won't be able to even show you the results of the vote counter for a while, possibly even until after your game is done. Sorry. However, it will help me get things ironed out, and if we're lucky and I can get it working right, we can have a utility to make votecounts easier for mods until we get some kind of official one built into the forums. Thanks!
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:33 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I have a mininormal hitting queue soon, I'll use it there
green shirt thursdays
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:10 pm

Post by Thesp »

In post 1, xRECKONERx wrote:I have a mininormal hitting queue soon, I'll use it there
Thanks! The more, the merrier - I'll take as many people as will volunteer.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:17 am

Post by Titus »

YES! I VOLUNTEER!

Starting from day 2 in WiFom City.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:29 am

Post by Thesp »

Feel free to put the information in your start post now if you like - the vote counter won't auto-post in your game. Instead, it will be a website where you'll enter a link to your game, and it will give you a BBCode pre-formatted votecount you can copy and paste into the game. It will also alert you to any votes it's not sure it interpreted right. I'll let you know when I've got the site up and running, but in the meanwhile, feel free to add the above info to your game if you like. :)
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:01 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

I'll volunteer
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:10 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 4, Thesp wrote:Feel free to put the information in your start post now if you like - the vote counter won't auto-post in your game. Instead, it will be a website where you'll enter a link to your game, and it will give you a BBCode pre-formatted votecount you can copy and paste into the game. It will also alert you to any votes it's not sure it interpreted right. I'll let you know when I've got the site up and running, but in the meanwhile, feel free to add the above info to your game if you like. :)
As someone who's written a similar tool myself, how are you handling the following common issues?:
  • Replacements
  • Players abbreviating/misspelling votes
  • Unusual formatting for votes or unvotes
There are some other issues that mods care about, such as doublevoters and the like, but those don't come up as often.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:40 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

/in
Retired as of October 2014.
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:17 am

Post by Thesp »

In post 6, callforjudgement wrote:
In post 4, Thesp wrote:Feel free to put the information in your start post now if you like - the vote counter won't auto-post in your game. Instead, it will be a website where you'll enter a link to your game, and it will give you a BBCode pre-formatted votecount you can copy and paste into the game. It will also alert you to any votes it's not sure it interpreted right. I'll let you know when I've got the site up and running, but in the meanwhile, feel free to add the above info to your game if you like. :)
As someone who's written a similar tool myself, how are you handling the following common issues?:
  • Replacements
  • Players abbreviating/misspelling votes
  • Unusual formatting for votes or unvotes
There are some other issues that mods care about, such as doublevoters and the like, but those don't come up as often.
Good questions!
1) Replacements are handled by putting the replaced player entirely in the shoes of the replacement player. That is, it finds the most current player for the slot (based on the properly formatted opening post), and for all times it would find the replaced player's name (as author or as person being voted), it replaces it with the replacement player. (I'm programming in Python, so I use a dictionary for the replaced players as keys, and the replacement players as values for those keys.)
2) I use Python's difflib for finding the closest match to the player's name. If it finds a match within a particular tolerance, great! If it doesn't meet a certain tolerance, it will warn the user about that vote, and provide a link to the post in question for the user to verify the correct votee. It does not like abbreviations at all and often misses the correct votee, but it definitely throws a warning on those for verification.
3) It loves seeing official votes. It handles any form of "vote:" that uses a colon, whether or not it is bolded. If a user uses the word vote without a colon, it will entirely miss it. This is somewhat by design - there are too many cases where people will use the word "vote", whether bolded or not, outside the context of trying to vote someone. However, if a mod wants to use the program, they may have to beat it into a few user's heads to use some proper formatting. If this becomes a widespread tool, I imagine the need to remind players to use proper formatting will be lessened.

It's not equipped to handle any unusual voting mechanisms Things like double-voters will have to be manually adjusted after the fact by the user.
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
xtopherusD
xtopherusD
Goon
xtopherusD
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:53 am

Post by xtopherusD »

Ooh, interesting!

What happens when a player quotes a post that another voted in? How will it know to not attribute the second instance of that "vote:" to the second person?
no.
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:02 am

Post by Thesp »

In post 9, xtopherusD wrote:Ooh, interesting!

What happens when a player quotes a post that another voted in? How will it know to not attribute the second instance of that "vote:" to the second person?
It truncates out all quoted text before processing a post to look for votes.
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:44 pm

Here's my answers to the same questions:

1) The mod maintains a list of players who are meant to be playing, separately from the game (in a vote counter configuration page). It's actually a list of slots; if a player is replaced, then both the old player and new player are listed as part of the slot. So pretty much the same as you're doing.
2) Each vote has a drop-down box on the interface that allows the mod to override who it's voting for. If a player votes for someone who isn't the name of a player, the vote counter warns the moderator and refuses to count the vote until that particular vote is overridden. Abbreviations for player names can be added to the list of players in a slot in order to automatically recognise those abbreviations.
3) The counter will consider any text that's bolded (including via use of the "vote" tag), and contains the word "vote", as a vote or unvote. It will check to see if votes or unvotes happen later in the bolded region in order to determine whether something is a vote or unvote (thus, it isn't fooled by something like "
Unvote: callforjudgement
"). In cases where it thinks there might be a vote but there isn't (e.g.
Mod: I think callforjudgement has 4 votes, not 5
, it will recognise it as a potential vote and ask the mod to override it as a vote for a particular player / no lynch, unvote, or not a vote.

WRT xtopherusD's question:
4) It ignores all quoted text when counting votes.

(Here's a fifth issue that actually came up in practice: what happens if someone votes in spoiler tags? My vote counter counts it, at least.)
scum
town
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:02 am

Post by saulres »

In post 11, callforjudgement wrote:what happens if someone votes in spoiler tags?
Why would someone do that? And do mods really count that?
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:24 am

Post by Thesp »

In post 12, saulres wrote:
In post 11, callforjudgement wrote:what happens if someone votes in spoiler tags?
I don't
think
that mine would pick up a vote in a spoiler tag, but like saulres, I don't think that's a significant issue. If anything, votes in spoiler tags should be strongly, strongly discouraged (if even ever counted at all).
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:44 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I would not count a vote inside a
Spoiler:
tag. I might be able to convince myself of a situation in which the inline blackout version would count.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:55 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 12, saulres wrote:
I've never actually encountered a situation like that as a mod before. My inclination is that the vote doesn't count since it's extremely easy for the players to miss it. Too much potential for confusion.

But now that I think about it, is there any in-game value to allowing the spoiler tag at all?
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:57 am

Post by quadz08 »

To shorten gigantic posts / quote walls
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:20 pm

Post by N »

In post 14, Mr. Flay wrote:I would not count a vote inside a
Spoiler:
tag. I might be able to convince myself of a situation in which the inline blackout version would count.
I don't think you should allow blackout spoilers in-game, because they are impossible for people on phones to read.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:45 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Also a good point; however if they're combined with text coloration then they just become
flavored
text
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:58 pm

In post 12, saulres wrote:Why would someone do that? And do mods really count that?
I think it was a mistake (vote at the end of a long post that had been spoilered for length, and the vote was accidentally inside rather than outside the spoiler). My response was to quote the vote inside the spoiler tag, mention it was inside the spoiler tag, then not count it.

I brought up the issue mostly because a naive computer program, as opposed to a human, reading a page will see the insides of spoiler tags, and not even be aware that the spoiler tag is there without special coding. Thus, it might count a vote that most mods would prefer not to count.
scum
town
PeregrineV
PeregrineV
Survivor
PeregrineV
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:58 am

Post by PeregrineV »

I will have
Limited Access
on weekends.
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:06 am

Post by Thesp »

I have a site up and running now. If you want to try it, PM me with a link to your game that meets the formatting standards in the first post.

By the way, you
can
include the initial information in spoiler tags, so it doesn't take up valuable real estate in your opening post if you like. So, something like:

[spoiler=Votecounter Settings]
[area=Living Players]
Bob
Carol (replaces Joe)
Sue (replaces Tom; Lisa)
Julio
[/area]

[area=Links]
[post=#3329643]Day 1[/post]
[post=#3329643]Night 1[/post]
[post=#3329643]Day 2: Post #532[/post]
[/area]
[/spoiler]

...will look just like this...
Spoiler: Votecounter Settings
Living PlayersBob
Carol (replaces Joe)
Sue (replaces Tom; Lisa)
Julio

Links

Reiner Knizia

your
game!
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:07 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Suggestion: allow for a way to use manual nicknames for players? For example, a lot of longer names get abbreviated (DrippingGoofball -> DGB) and it's kind of a pain to ask players to just use the full name every time.
green shirt thursdays
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:13 am

Post by Thesp »

In post 22, xRECKONERx wrote:Suggestion: allow for a way to use manual nicknames for players? For example, a lot of longer names get abbreviated (DrippingGoofball -> DGB) and it's kind of a pain to ask players to just use the full name every time.
Interestingly, you can actually do this manually by listing "DGB" as a replacement. You may also want to list "dgb" as a replacement if you have players too lazy to use the shift key. So, something like...

DrippingGoofball (replaces DGB; dgb)

...in the Living Players tag will cause the votecounter to add "DGB" and "dgb" to the name list, and will always substitute "DrippingGoofball" for that name.

I may add some code in the future to make that more explicit (perhaps allowing you to write "(alias DGB; dgb)"?), but it will be after more testing before I update, unless something is seriously broken.
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:44 am

Post by T-Bone »

This looks really cool. Great work.