The Newbie Matrix6 stats thread (complete)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:39 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

I think as a whole we catch more experienced scum, because those players would normally be early nightkills, although this is pretty much a random guess as to a reason.

New scum are either a hit or miss depending on how much experience they've had before and their understanding of the game.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:35 am

Post by Faraday »

Do you have the setups ran for each? (I Presume random chance didn't dictate the 2 see setup got all the mafia sided games, but did it get more/less of them?)
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
TierShift
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:38 am

Post by TierShift »

Setups probably is not going to be a confounder.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:41 am

Post by Faraday »

Given the large difference it seemed worth checking if he has the stats at hand.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:08 am

Post by quadz08 »

I do want to point out that once broken out into newbie/se/ic configurations, most of the subtypes have fairly small sample sizes (<20 total games).
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:40 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 129, quadz08 wrote:I do want to point out that once broken out into newbie/se/ic configurations, most of the subtypes have fairly small sample sizes (<20 total games).

To get reasonable sample sizes for some of the subtypes, you would have to play an incredibly large number of newbie games under the setup due to the unlikelihood of some of the draws happening randomly. At some point you do need to theorize over having hard data because it's not feasable you'll ever have hard data on some of it.

Anyway because I'm somewhat bored and because I do believe that players will approach experience vs newbies in a different way, I think it's worthwhile to point out based on the data available that at least one IC or SE drew scum in the 3 SE, 1 IC setup approx 71.5% of the time. With 2 SE, 1 IC, the draw for at least one was approx 62.6%. I'm sure there's a way to figure out the mathematical probability, but that's for someone way more crazy into the math than I am.

Anyway, if I'm one of the SEs or ICs and I happen to draw town, I'm sure a compelling argument can be made toward lynching one of the more experienced players based entirely on the probability of one of them being scum alone. (I just pick the least likely to be town and invent some reason to lynch them.)

I'm sure the validity of that approach could be called into question, but my thought is to whether or not those kind of factors should be mitigated by reducing the presence of experience vs newbies in a newbie game. My thought is there should be just enough to teach the newbies how to play and no more.

Maybe 2 ICs is not sustainable, but would the notion of going 1 SE, 1 IC be a totally ludicrous idea to consider? That would actually bring us pretty close to the 2 IC ideal we had way back when, but with 1 IC actively expected to teach the game and 1 SE to offer alternative advice or to call out the SE if they're scum bsing? Is it important to have a third experience role? Does one of them have to be guaranteed to be town? (In 1 SE, 1 IC they could both be scum, but it would be rare.)
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:52 am

Post by Toomai »

In post 130, Zachrulez wrote:I'm sure there's a way to figure out the mathematical probability
Assuming pure randomness, the odds of any particular type of scumteam are:
  • 5Nb-3SE-1IC
    • Nb-Nb: 20/72 (~27.8%)
    • Nb-SE: 30/72 (~41.7%)
    • Nb-IC: 10/72 (~13.9%)
    • SE-SE: 6/72 (~8.3%)
    • SE-IC: 6/72 (~8.3%)
  • 6Nb-2SE-1IC
    • Nb-Nb: 30/72 (~41.7%)
    • Nb-SE: 24/72 (~33.3%)
    • Nb-IC: 12/72 (~16.7%)
    • SE-SE: 2/72 (~2.8%)
    • SE-IC: 4/72 (~5.6%)
This should be required reading for...everyone for anything, really.
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:43 am

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

In post 130, Zachrulez wrote:Anyway, if I'm one of the SEs or ICs and I happen to draw town, I'm sure a compelling argument can be made toward lynching one of the more experienced players based entirely on the probability of one of them being scum alone. (I just pick the least likely to be town and invent some reason to lynch them.)

The odds of there being scum among the other non-newbies is literally the same odds as the odds of there being scum among any group of players in that game of the same size. There's no substance to this argument.
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:16 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 132, Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:
In post 130, Zachrulez wrote:Anyway, if I'm one of the SEs or ICs and I happen to draw town, I'm sure a compelling argument can be made toward lynching one of the more experienced players based entirely on the probability of one of them being scum alone. (I just pick the least likely to be town and invent some reason to lynch them.)

The odds of there being scum among the other non-newbies is literally the same odds as the odds of there being scum among any group of players in that game of the same size. There's no substance to this argument.

I'm not arguing that it's optimal play necessarily, just pointing out that those kind of stats can have power in an environment where experienced players can be seen as bigger potential threats.
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:49 am

Post by Toomai »

For the record, the one remaining scum of Newbie 1574 conceded the game. To keep the stats functional, I have recorded this as a lynch on the offending scumbum.
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:21 am

Post by goodmorning »

Dammit, that's going to bother mine.
EFFORT IS NOT INDICATIVE OF ALIGNMENT
LA during normal working and sleeping hours EST

Get to know a very pleasant AM.
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Sun May 31, 2015 5:18 am

Post by Toomai »

Okay this is officially ridiculous.

The slot replacement rate for newbie scum slots is now 87.5%, and the player replacement rate is now 110.6%.

In other words, newbie scum slots have a 7/8 chance of seeing at least one replacement, with an average replacements-per-game of 1.1.

And because I don't count most pregame replacements, nor replacements that are another person's fault, this is a lower bound.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:13 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Newbie town slots?
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:55 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

If we gave scum daytalk, I think that would help decrease the amount of newbie scum replacements.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
~Jordan`
~Jordan`
Goon
~Jordan`
Goon
Goon

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:58 am

Post by ~Jordan` »

daytalk is the best
kick logic to the curb and do the impossible!
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:31 am

Post by Toomai »

In post 137, BBmolla wrote:Newbie town slots?
...get replaced less than half as often. (42% of them saw at least one replacement, average of 0.515 replacements per game)
In post 138, Cheery Dog wrote:If we gave scum daytalk, I think that would help decrease the amount of newbie scum replacements.
This is true, but scum already has a winning percentage advantage, and it's not necessarily representative of the site as a whole.
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:19 am

Post by Oversoul »

Wow. That is extreme.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:23 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

So any newbie slot with a replacement has ~37% of being scum, which is 68% more accurate than random lynching, not ideal but it doesn't seem too bad, at least not as bad as the 87.5% looks initally
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:38 am

Post by Toomai »

Okay this is gonna make me look stupid but here it is.

I found a major bug in the replacements pivot tables. Basically, all slots in all games since 1531 were being counted as both town and scum for the question of "how many times did this slot get replaced". I don't have a clue how it happened, nor why Excel didn't pop up one of its "these adjacent formulas don't match" boxes to tell me.

So expect some major changes to the replacement stats in the next little bit. I suspect things will look far less ridiculous once it's all corrected.
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:28 am

Post by goodmorning »

That explains a lot.
EFFORT IS NOT INDICATIVE OF ALIGNMENT
LA during normal working and sleeping hours EST

Get to know a very pleasant AM.
JeanDarc
JeanDarc
Goon
JeanDarc
Goon
Goon

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:58 am

Post by JeanDarc »

I feel that the forum titles should have some dark humour.

1. anoints the newbies who replace OUT of their first two games or two games in a row (prior to completion of any of their games) with the title: Weasel; or Ferret
2. commend other players who replace INTO x games in a row and stick to end of game/death with the title: Tree Stump; or better yet, Master Disguiser.

I wonder how many games would suffice for the honourable title of a Tree Stump, but I think 10 is a good start.
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:42 am

Post by Toomai »

Okay so this is somewhat interesting: setup A (JK+RB+BP) has gone on a town win streak lately and is now above 40% like all the other subsetups. It remains the lest-common setup too, so there's still room to improve as well.
Runner
Runner
Goon
Runner
Goon
Goon

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:56 am

Post by Runner »

Wow these stats are very... thorough. Somewhat painful to read how one game lasted nearly 3 months, and how one game had 11 players replace out.

Thanks for putting in the time to do this stuff Toomai. Do you think the below average winrate for setup A will rise once the number of games completed for that setup rises more in line with the rest?
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:42 am

Post by Toomai »

In post 147, Runner wrote:Do you think the below average winrate for setup A will rise once the number of games completed for that setup rises more in line with the rest?
30 samples is traditionally where statisticians put the "minimum" mark for a binary collection. Since all the subsetups have now passed that, I don't expect the winrates to change too much from now on unless one faction's meta gets a power boost.
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:53 am

Post by Toomai »

I have begun to add the stats for the ongoing daytalk experiment to the first post. With only 2 completed games so far, there's nothing important to say about it so far other than it's there.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”