Private Topics Discussion (Now with Mish Mash)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #175 (ISO) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:07 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

In post 166, Mr. Flay wrote:I'm legitimately curious what you think you gain by a permanent paranoia about the randomness of role generation.

Even if a mod fudges 15% of the time, it's not anything you can rely on or make decisions based on.
"I reroll if too many scum roles end up next to each other. But now that you know that, I might not follow my usual pattern! That'll teach you for trying to use something I said! But then again maybe I
did
reroll until I got a desirable result after all. You'll never know mwahahahahaha"
I'm pretty sure inviting this level of outguessing the mod is bad bad bad

Also hooray Xalxe Duce (:
To be clear: quack
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #176 (ISO) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:57 am

Post by Siveure DtTrikyp »

Richard, why exactly is too many scum next to each other in the playerlist undesirable?
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #177 (ISO) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:21 pm

Post by tn5421 »

In post 176, Siveure DtTrikyp wrote:Richard, why exactly is too many scum next to each other in the playerlist undesirable?
I know you didn't ask me this question, but I'll still answer anyway. If you disregard randomness for any reason whatsoever the game starts to become 'outguess the mod'.

Edit: Richard doesn't feel that having players next to each other is random enough.
WIP
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #178 (ISO) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:50 pm

Post by Siveure DtTrikyp »

That doesn't answer anything. Either answer.

If you get rid of randomness it's bad... so be less random?
It's not random enough, so you make it less random?
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #179 (ISO) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:16 pm

Post by Kagami »

In post 166, Mr. Flay wrote:...
But for an individual mod, in an individual game? The fact that Richard MIGHT reroll tells you absolutely nothing about the setup. The fact that I might reroll tells you nothing.
Cabd already pointed it out: If I were currently in a game modded by richard, and there was a living player sitting between two flipped scum in the player list, I would consider him nearly cleared. Likewise, if there were a bunch of high prob town in a big bunch, I'd be scumhunting hard among that region of the playerlist.
xtopherusD
xtopherusD
Goon
xtopherusD
Goon
Goon

Post Post #180 (ISO) » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:07 am

Post by xtopherusD »

Mmm, Private Topics. Bleurgh, randomness. Discussion is good; you guys are crazy.

I haven't modded anything in a long while, but this is interesting. Maybe I'll join some games so I get to use them. Obviously I'll have to replace out if I draw town, but would that
really
be a problem?
no.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #181 (ISO) » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:53 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

In post 179, Kagami wrote:
In post 166, Mr. Flay wrote:...
But for an individual mod, in an individual game? The fact that Richard MIGHT reroll tells you absolutely nothing about the setup. The fact that I might reroll tells you nothing.
Cabd already pointed it out: If I were currently in a game modded by richard, and there was a living player sitting between two flipped scum in the player list, I would consider him nearly cleared. Likewise, if there were a bunch of high prob town in a big bunch, I'd be scumhunting hard among that region of the playerlist.
Good gods, for a bunch of MAFIA players you guys sure are bad at reading comprehension.
In post 163, RichardGHP wrote:Just to be clear, any rerolling is done
BEFORE
signups. I would never change the assignments after that, so it's not like I'm playing favourites, if Jake from State Farm gave that impression.
He's talking about the design phase, NOT while players are involved. That list is likely in a different order. Also just look at his games:

• Mini 1344: Scum at 10&11.
  • Mini 1149: Scum at 7&8.
  • Mini 1061: Scum at 10&11.
    OMGHEPREFERSTOPUTSCUMATSPOTS10ANDELEBEN!!!!!
Stahp.
Retired as of October 2014.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #182 (ISO) » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:02 am

Post by Faraday »

Right, but isn't he saying he'd not put all 3 in a row, which is what Kagami is talking about?
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #183 (ISO) » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:10 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

It's also utterly useless information now (he's not running any Mafia games presently), and he's unlikely to follow this 'temptation' exactly in the future... if he ever did, he sounded like he was talking hypothetically to me. To wit:
In post 93, RichardGHP wrote:
In post 92, Cabd wrote:Of course now that you've posted this, if I were one of your players I'd totally use this to clear somebody if two scum flipped on either side of them.
Do so at your peril. It's not like I can't make exceptions to my own rules.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack

Post Post #184 (ISO) » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:16 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

"I reroll if too many scum roles end up next to each other. But now that you know that, I might not follow my usual pattern! That'll teach you for trying to use something I said! But then again maybe I
did
reroll until I got a desirable result after all. You'll never know mwahahahahaha"
To be clear: quack
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #185 (ISO) » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:57 am

Post by zoraster »

the point isn't whether this is a reasonable inference for someone to use scumhunting. whether you think it is or not is totally and completely irrelevant. It's whether a player might use it. And it's pretty easy to see how that'd come about. And just because Richard could do something to punish someone who played guess the mod doesn't make that a good result.

I don't know what your point is here, Flay. People are saying, "here's a great way to verify randomness to my players" and you're lashing out for some reason.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #186 (ISO) » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:27 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I'm saying that whether nor not a game is 100% verifiably random is WAY less important than about seventeen other factors that make for a good or bad game. Some of which are mod-based, some of which are player-based.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #187 (ISO) » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:31 am

Post by Hoopla »

In post 75, zoraster wrote:I don't trust you. I don't trust any mod. I don't think all mods who don't show their system manipulate at all,
but I wouldn't be surprised if something like a third to half do so

I doubt there are many mods who manipulate games hugely. I think it's likely that they randomly generate and then look at it and either (a) think this is a crappy draw and redo the randomness or (b) swap a couple of players around to make for what they think is a more fun experience. I think mods do this in the hopes of providing players with a better game, so it's not like I think mods are doing this maliciously. But I think it goes on.
100% agree with this estimation. I think it's obvious this is the case based on the amount of people who have nonchalantly owned up to mild manipulation over the last few pages. I think the majority of it is little things like players like Richard rerolling a few times to get the roles in a nice order, mods rolling two VI's for a scumteam and making sure the third is a competent player, rerolling the most exciting/powerful role of a game if it lands on a VI, rerolling the town PR's if there is a high concentration of VI's or strong players with them etc. If a mod has a penchant for ensuring a relatively even but random looking spread of good to bad players across both teams and across all the roles, a sizable chunk of the actual random rolls may not really look random and would be tempting to change.

The truth is, most people don't really know what randomness looks. They have a stereotypical idea about what randomness is, so when they attempt to simulate it, they will generally gravitate to that stereotype, indirectly ignoring a slew of possible results that look weird or have an obvious pattern to it - these outcomes occur in true randomness a lot though. Radiolab did a really interesting demonstration about the nature of randomness (skip to 8:15 if you don't wanna listen to the whole ep), where they got the hosts to flip a coin a hundred times and record the results, and have another group fake the flips and just write down fake results. The experimenter can always spot the fake results because they never put in big streaks of heads or tails, when it's basically inevitable there will be multiple big streaks of 6 or more.

If I know or suspect a mod manipulates some part of their role distribution, I'll probably be looking for some unresolved streaks deep in the game (like two PR's flipped so far have been VI's. Two people currently counterclaiming guilty results on each other, with everyone else VT. Is the final PR
another
VI or a competent player?) and factor it into my decisions.
JacobSavage
JacobSavage
Mafia Scum
JacobSavage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #188 (ISO) » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:16 am

Post by JacobSavage »

Back on topic, is there anything that can be done with the background?
"
I don't have an opinion, everything is great.
"

I have a GTKAS!
| Slightly V/LA at the moment
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #189 (ISO) » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:32 am

Post by tn5421 »

In post 186, Mr. Flay wrote:I'm saying that whether nor not a game is 100% verifiably random is WAY less important than about seventeen other factors that make for a good or bad game. Some of which are mod-based, some of which are player-based.
In post 175, SleepyKrew wrote: I'm pretty sure inviting this level of outguessing the mod is bad bad bad
I don't think anyone stated that it was the most important thing, or even high on anyone's priorities. But it is something one should be mindful of.
WIP
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #190 (ISO) » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:57 am

Post by chamber »

In post 188, JacobSavage wrote:Back on topic, is there anything that can be done with the background?
There is a minor tweak that I need to push live at some point. Otherwise I have no intention to work on changing the background. Others are welcome to.
Taking a break from the site.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #191 (ISO) » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:47 am

Post by Jake from State Farm »

So rumor is you can't bookmark these. Is that true?
Show
Things I've learned.
1. It's just a game, have fun.
2. Don't waste time on people who think you are scum. Ignore them and keep scum hunting.
3. Don't take everything so personal.
4. Tunneling sucks (unfortunately I can't seem to stop)
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #192 (ISO) » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:51 am

Post by zoraster »

false. you can bookmark.
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #193 (ISO) » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:55 am

Post by N »

Myth: busted.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #194 (ISO) » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:37 am

Post by Jake from State Farm »

Good to know
Show
Things I've learned.
1. It's just a game, have fun.
2. Don't waste time on people who think you are scum. Ignore them and keep scum hunting.
3. Don't take everything so personal.
4. Tunneling sucks (unfortunately I can't seem to stop)
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #195 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:54 pm

Post by RedCoyote »

In post 193, N wrote:Myth: busted.
I often fantasize how wonderful life would be with the likes of N and SleepyKrew following me around with their snarky observations and delectable wit.

Mafiascum. I tell people: come for the Mafia; stay for N & SK.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #196 (ISO) » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:12 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 29, Zachrulez wrote:
In post 26, zoraster wrote:
In post 24, Zachrulez wrote:On another matter, due to all the requirements that list mods have for what needs to be ready for review, I actually design the entirety of my games through quicktopic. Is there any consideration for access to creating private topics for this purpose?
yes. That's actually #2 on the policy list. Ask the appropriate listmod for access to create a review thread. If you already have access (because you're on one of the mod lists), you may create a review thread already.
I'm not on the mod list. :(

And I'm not keen to ask everytime I'm set to start a setup when I got quicktopics right over there. (I mean
geez
I have to actually send a pm and do stuff?)

I think I've been sold on it for in game use though...
I'm just going to say here that I think it would be useful to have a section of private topics specifically for review purposes/hydra discussion that can be created by anyone.

Practically I will probably just continue setting my games up in QT and then copy and pasting into Private Topics when my games go through the review process when such is required. (Having to ask for access is in essence asking for permission to design a game.)

Which brings the question, for things that require review, are they going to require the use of Private Topics for review or can you continue to submit setups for review via quicktopics?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #197 (ISO) » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:15 am

Post by zoraster »

PTs are required for Normal review. They aren't required for Large Themes, which require a reviewer but aren't overseen by me directly.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #198 (ISO) » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:12 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 197, zoraster wrote:PTs are required for Normal review. They aren't required for Large Themes, which require a reviewer but aren't overseen by me directly.
This would be the point where I'd ask why, but I don't have the energy or the motivation to fight that battle.

Is the moderator expected to create the private topic or is it created for them?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #199 (ISO) » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:15 am

Post by zoraster »

for the normals?

They're created by Tierce. And by that point, she already has the submitted setup and posts it in the OP. It's easier for her and it's easier for the reviewers to keep track of the multiple setups under review at any time. Plus there are all the other benefits of using a PT such as being able to actually read the role PMs (an essential function of the review group) in the format it's going to be posted rather than BBCode.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”