Private Topics Discussion (Now with Mish Mash)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:01 am

Post by Cabd »

In post 48, zoraster wrote:As for hydras, we're discussing it, and will get back to you.
Wooooops, already made one. My bad. I assumed it was taking on pretty much ALL mafia QT related duties.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:03 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 50, Cabd wrote:
In post 48, zoraster wrote:As for hydras, we're discussing it, and will get back to you.
Wooooops, already made one. My bad. I assumed it was taking on pretty much ALL mafia QT related duties.
I can see why you might assume that, but...
Moderators, not players, should make Private Threads
It was in big bold letters for a reason.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:08 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

Suggestion: Private Topic Rules and FAQ (so basically this thread) pinned in the PT section
To be clear: quack
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:09 am

Post by Cabd »

Also, one thing I like here is now we can't have accusations of randomness manipulation, since you can use dice tags to roll alignments in your mod thread, and a lack of edits prove it; then release it afterwards.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:13 am

Post by zoraster »

completely agree, Cabd. I think that should be Standard Operating Procedure from now on.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:15 am

Post by Cabd »

All you have to do is use the dice tags like:

Code: Select all

[dice]{numscuminyourgame}d{numplayersslots}[/dice]

And if it has any overlaps, re-roll until it has no overlaps.

So for a micro, with two scum, 9 slots, it's as simple as

Code: Select all

[dice]2d9[/dice]

Original Roll String: 2d9 (STATIC)
2 9-Sided Dice: (1, 1) = 2

(This is a dirty dirty edit to show that players can see if you tried to cheat it~)
Last edited by Cabd on Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Show

Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:15 am

Post by Cabd »

Hah, and there's an example of when to re-roll.

Original Roll String: 2d9
2 9-Sided Dice: (3, 5) = 8
Show

zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:20 am

Post by zoraster »

I don't know why you'd do it that way. using more dice actually just makes it more likely people will share the same roll. I'd rather just do 1d100 for each player.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:22 am

Post by Cabd »

Yeah I guess that works too. Either way, really. Point is, it's verified NOT tampered with.
Show

zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:24 am

Post by zoraster »

yeah. you just have to make sure to post the role to number list in the same post as the dice or else you could tamper with that to suit the rolls.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:26 am

Post by Cabd »

Right. All in one big post. I love that we can streamline that as standard practice though.
Show

RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:38 am

Post by RedCoyote »

I'll have to remember the dice rolls to determine role draws. It would be nice to just have that as a provable reference.

But that means I wouldn't get to use the Random Generators Shell anymore. :(
Malakittens
Malakittens
Survivor
Malakittens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:33 pm

Post by Malakittens »

^ Same, I also use the same thing red does for my role PM's.
No matter how high the stakes, sooner or later you're just gonna have to go with your gut.
And maybe, just maybe, that'll take you right where you were supposed to be.

Get to know a Mala~Grey<3 4.7.2015
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:09 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 61, RedCoyote wrote:I'll have to remember the dice rolls to determine role draws. It would be nice to just have that as a provable reference.

But that means I wouldn't get to use the Random Generators Shell anymore. :(
I use this as well. So does Sotty.

Why exactly should we make dice rolling alignment standard?

I mean... I could youtube myself using the randomizer if it's really that important. I've never manipulated a random generator for alignment draws in my life.

Also it's important to note that while you can't edit a dice roll, you can delete posts if you have mod power in a topic, so you can effectively roll until you theoretically get a roll you like... so...
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:56 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

This actually does NOTHING to guarantee unbiased role assignments. can be manipulated (in ways I won't get into).

That said, if you want to roll dice in your setup PT to arrange your game, feel free. Just don't assume it's foolproof when/if someone questions you on it.
Retired as of October 2014.
Axxle
Axxle
Mafia Scum
Axxle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:10 pm

Post by Axxle »

You could also just delete a post with the diceroll in it and make the post again.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:45 pm

Post by zoraster »

True but your reviewers will see that. It is my theory that most mod cheating happens because it is easy and so difficult to get caught
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:14 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

they're not green anymore?
green shirt thursdays
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:41 pm

Post by Nexus »

Is there really a big thing about 'mod manipulation'?

I genuinely have never considered that mods might manipulate the game to choose who is scum...

Either way, I'll continue to use random.org for my role assignments, and if people don't like it, then don't sign up...
Trans rights are human rights.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:11 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 64, Mr. Flay wrote:This actually does NOTHING to guarantee unbiased role assignments. can be manipulated (in ways I won't get into).

That said, if you want to roll dice in your setup PT to arrange your game, feel free. Just don't assume it's foolproof when/if someone questions you on it.

The only way I know of, and feel free to tell me if there is another, is to delete the post in question. And even that doesn't actually work. We backup deleted posts.
Taking a break from the site.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:40 am

Post by quadz08 »

In post 68, Nexus wrote:Is there really a big thing about 'mod manipulation'?

I genuinely have never considered that mods might manipulate the game to choose who is scum...

Either way, I'll continue to use random.org for my role assignments, and if people don't like it, then don't sign up...
I personally find it highly unlikely there's a lot of mod manipulation, but before the newbie queue mod was randomizing setups for the mods in question, certain setups were getting played often / not-often enough that it was statistically significant.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:07 am

Post by zoraster »

I mean, it's nearly impossible to prove one way or the other. I think there's likely a lot of it going on. It seems pretty obvious to me. Regardless, I'll do what I can to be a transparent as possible with my selections, and now that can involve the dice roll.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:53 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 64, Mr. Flay wrote:This actually does NOTHING to guarantee unbiased role assignments. can be manipulated (in ways I won't get into).

I have no problem with mods determining alignment that way. I just question the idea that it should be standard.

In post 70, quadz08 wrote:
In post 68, Nexus wrote:Is there really a big thing about 'mod manipulation'?

I personally find it highly unlikely there's a lot of mod manipulation, but before the newbie queue mod was randomizing setups for the mods in question, certain setups were getting played often / not-often enough that it was statistically significant.

I believe the data on the setups indicated something like 5-10% of mods assigning setups in a manner other than random. I mean that's a problem when you want newbie setups selected randomly, but that also means 90-95% of the mods were assigning setups (and presumably roles.) randomly.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:00 am

Post by zoraster »

oh, i think i can safely say the listmods aren't going to require random generation that way if that's what you're worried about. I'm speaking as a mod in general. I think it's good practice. Personally I'll take every opportunity to show my players I am giving them a fair game.

Also, the data didn't show that 90% of mods were randomly selecting. Theoretically, they could all have been selecting non-randomly, but if they did so evenly in each game type as a group, it'd be impossible to tell.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:11 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 73, zoraster wrote:oh, i think i can safely say the listmods aren't going to require random generation that way if that's what you're worried about. I'm speaking as a mod in general. I think it's good practice. Personally I'll take every opportunity to show my players I am giving them a fair game.
Actually when I looked at Kunk's data on newbies, the F11 setup was manipulated by likely fewer than 5% of newbie mods. The C9 setup was worse, but I think making it clear we don't really want to see that kind of thing greatly changed things for the better there.

In terms of showing players you're giving them a fair game... I don't think it's unfair to ask the players to trust that you're giving them one without reason to suspect otherwise.

I could youtube my draw, but then, I could have recorded a bunch of other videos and just aired the one that gave me a draw I liked. I could roll a dice tag in the mod private topic, but how do you know I haven't deleted posts and rerolled that, or used another more difficult to detect exploit to manipulate that?

The answer at the most basic level is that you trust me as a mod to give you a fair game. If you don't, then you probably wouldn't have signed up for my game in the first place.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”