Worst role ideas?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:57 am

Post by Glork »

Rainbow Brite wrote:dammit, can we please stop the "post restriction" roles which still allow morse? all they do is frustrate. if it's meant to prevent communication, ban code. if it's just meant to frustrate, then you're a bastard.
QFT
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
blahgo
blahgo
Goon
blahgo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:00 am

Post by blahgo »

Townie with OCD

Once you post you must keep posting, but you have to make small shanges to each post. If your post line is interupted you die. If the person who interupted you is a Doctor you become Chuck Norris
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:42 pm

Post by Fuldu »

Rainbow Brite wrote:dammit, can we please stop the "post restriction" roles which still allow morse? all they do is frustrate. if it's meant to prevent communication, ban code. if it's just meant to frustrate, then you're a bastard.
Oh, let me fix that for you:
Rainbow Brite wrote:dammit, can we please stop the "post restriction" roles?
That's much better.

Admittedly, they have a place in this thread. The role from my WRE Mafia that I was most interested to watch was the Soft-Spoken Mimic, a player that can only post in bold if the bold is copied directly from a post made by another player during the same game day. Of course, that role died Night One, so I didn't get to see it.
It takes a village to raise a lynch mob.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:02 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

It's hard to ban code though. I mean, let's say all a person can do is bark, then someone else is going to say "bark once for yes and twice for no." Then if the person barks once, do you modkill them?

Some kinds of post restiction can work, but generally only if it's easier and/or more fun to more-or-less follow the restiction rather then to try and get around it with a code.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:45 pm

Post by Glork »

Yosarian2 wrote:It's hard to ban code though. I mean, let's say all a person can do is bark, then someone else is going to say "bark once for yes and twice for no." Then if the person barks once, do you modkill them?
Glork, Mostly Mute Mafia: Haiku Rules wrote:You may not use numerous Voting actions to communicate via morse code or any other means.
You make it clear up front that you will not tolerate attempts to break or get around the coding ban. If I see somebody making an extended series of Votes/FoSes/IGMEOYs, I'll check it out to see if there's a hidden message in there. If I think there is, I'll apprehend the poster and take appropriate action.

I don't see why this is a problem. It's easy both to spot and to enforce.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Turbovolver
Turbovolver
Mafia Scum
Turbovolver
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:23 pm

Post by Turbovolver »

I never understood those "huge blocks of votes" codes T_T
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:20 pm

Post by Fuldu »

My feeling is that, with the exception of game-wide post restrictions like Haiku, if you have to make a rule disallowing code, you've probably created a bad post restriction, to the extent that that's not redundant. In general, the more difficult you make it for someone to communicate in the game, the less likely they are to try. And in a game often plagued by lurkers and replacements, it's hard to imagine how the meager benefits of a post-restricted role could outweigh that.
It takes a village to raise a lynch mob.
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:42 pm

Post by Adele »

Glork wrote:
Yosarian2 wrote:It's hard to ban code though. I mean, let's say all a person can do is bark, then someone else is going to say "bark once for yes and twice for no." Then if the person barks once, do you modkill them?
Glork, Mostly Mute Mafia: Haiku Rules wrote:You may not use numerous Voting actions to communicate via morse code or any other means.
You make it clear up front that you will not tolerate attempts to break or get around the coding ban. If I see somebody making an extended series of Votes/FoSes/IGMEOYs, I'll check it out to see if there's a hidden message in there. If I think there is, I'll apprehend the poster and take appropriate action.

I don't see why this is a problem. It's easy both to spot and to enforce.
Oh yeah. Again, this is something which I consider implied. PR codes just mess the game up, wheras forcing someone to walk people through their reasoning but not actually
say
it might be really fun. I thought once that I'd enjoy that challenge.

The players will help out too, don't forget. If one of them cracked a code, exactly how many seconds before they present their findings to the town?

Same with banning claims. If Glork's banned from claiming doc, then the second Turbo says "ok, Seol claimed vig, Fritz claimed SK, Glork clearly means he's the doc", the lightning bolt shoots down.
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:43 am

Post by Fiasco »

Yosarian's right, though; there's a grey area between what's a code and what isn't.
Glork wrote:I don't see why this is a problem. It's easy both to spot and to enforce.
So what would you do about the "bark once/twice" example?
"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." - Oliver Cromwell
GreenLiquid
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:19 am

Post by GreenLiquid »

Same with banning claims. If Glork's banned from claiming doc, then the second Turbo says "ok, Seol claimed vig, Fritz claimed SK, Glork clearly means he's the doc", the lightning bolt shoots down.
I don't see why there would be a problem in this scenario. As long as Glork denies that he's the doc, it's still pretty much in keeping.
Avatar courtesy of Chickadee! | GTKAL
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:56 am

Post by Glork »

Fiasco wrote:Yosarian's right, though; there's a grey area between what's a code and what isn't.
Glork wrote:I don't see why this is a problem. It's easy both to spot and to enforce.
So what would you do about the "bark once/twice" example?
Depends on the situation, I think.

Most importantly, though, I feel that if you intend to cut off a type of communication, you should make it explicit up front. Let them know before that it's not allowed before it becomes an issue, and try to limit that grey area as much as possible. I don't think you can ever eliminate it entirely, but I still think that if you know what you want to permit and you can express that clearly to the players, you'll avoid any unnecessary debate about legality of actions or posts.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:49 pm

Post by Ether »

Cheating at haiku wrote:dotdash dashdotdash
dotdotdot dashdotdashdot
dotdotdash dashdash

vote: al_kohaulec
(Then I noticed that the restriction only applied to voting, but that's not the point.)
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
IH
IH
Always Scum
IH
Always Scum
Always Scum

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:30 pm

Post by IH »

If you're going to make it where the player can't communicate at all, what's the point of giving them the restriction? Like m4yhem's pikachu one? What was he going to do? Tell everyone Pikachu until they get fed up, and just lynch him?

If it's a PR that they can convery rational thoughts with, then a code ban on them would be reasonable.

If someone can only bark, and can't use a code, they might as well be lynched day one, because they're not going to help the town at all.
Untrod Tripod (7:27:18 PM): you enjoy whoring
xcaykex (7:27:24 PM): yes
xcaykex (7:27:26 PM): i know that
Fircoal
Fircoal
Goon
Fircoal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:06 pm

Post by Fircoal »

IH wrote:If you're going to make it where the player can't communicate at all, what's the point of giving them the restriction? Like m4yhem's pikachu one? What was he going to do? Tell everyone Pikachu until they get fed up, and just lynch him?
What game was this in? I'd like to see it.
And good point.
As for post-restriction roles, I am not in favor of them.
Ghyrt
Ghyrt
Goon
Ghyrt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:47 pm

Post by Ghyrt »

You are
Ernest Vincent Wright
, author of
Gadsby

You are not allowed to use the letter 'e' except when voting. Your posts must be correctly spelled, follow the conventional rules of standard English grammar, and use no abbreviations, numbers, emoticons, pictures, or other non-punctuation symbols. Breaking or circumventing this rule will result in mod kill.
[i]"Rolling in the muck is not the best way of getting clean."
---Aldous Huxley[/i]
TheEyeOfMordor
TheEyeOfMordor
Goon
TheEyeOfMordor
Goon
Goon

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:26 pm

Post by TheEyeOfMordor »

How does he vote then?
In the name of Mark Lazarus....
Thok
Thok
Disgrace to SKs everywhere
Thok

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:21 pm

Post by Thok »

Ghyrt wrote:You are
Ernest Vincent Wright
, author of
Gadsby
Georges Perec is much cooler than Ernest Vincent Wright.
Elephant Hell
Elephant Hell
Townie
Elephant Hell
Townie
Townie

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:45 pm

Post by Elephant Hell »

TheEyeOfMordor wrote:How does he vote then?
I had an idea like this - I even have a role PM written without the letter 'e' (except a small note at the bottom to explain the restriction). If I actually used that role 'e' would be allowed in names, but they would have to find some other way to show that they want to lynch people, such as
Kill:
or
Lynch:
, although the former could easily be misinterpreted.

However, Ghyrt's version allows the letter 'e' in voting.
IH
IH
Always Scum
IH
Always Scum
Always Scum

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:52 am

Post by IH »

Fircoal wrote:What game was this in? I'd like to see it.
And good point.
No, there's games where everyone has a post restriction, or else they can't use their power at night. There's no vanillas, and it's usually pretty interesting.

M4yhem was a pikachu cop in Post Restriction 3.

Also, Green Liquid, are you planning a forth?
Untrod Tripod (7:27:18 PM): you enjoy whoring
xcaykex (7:27:24 PM): yes
xcaykex (7:27:26 PM): i know that
spectrumvoid
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
Problem Child

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:47 am

Post by spectrumvoid »

I want in for PR 4!!!
Blank.
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:54 am

Post by Seol »

Someone has written an application which converts normal text into "post-restricted" text and back again. That's clearly going against the intention of a post restriction and, whilst it shows a great deal of ingenuity, is frankly ridiculous.

The point of a hard post restriction (of the sort "you may only bark") is that you cannot communicate, with the possible exception of emphasis and timing. I'd say "once for yes and twice for no" is code - it's a really simple code, but it's obvious when it's being used. If it's banned, then... well, yeah, if someone uses code you modkill them. That's what happens when you break the rules.

It's rare for someone to have a hard post restriction role, but sometimes you get roles which can post-restrict other players.
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
Fircoal
Fircoal
Goon
Fircoal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:49 am

Post by Fircoal »

IH wrote:
Fircoal wrote:What game was this in? I'd like to see it.
And good point.
No, there's games where everyone has a post restriction, or else they can't use their power at night. There's no vanillas, and it's usually pretty interesting.

M4yhem was a pikachu cop in Post Restriction 3.

Also, Green Liquid, are you planning a forth?
Post restrictions for everybody if different, they probably are better then just 1 post restriction.
Ghyrt
Ghyrt
Goon
Ghyrt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:42 am

Post by Ghyrt »

I think permanent post restrictions should be used for 1 of 2 reasons:

1) To balance a powerful role. For example, a super-vig might be muted.
2) To make the game more interesting. I can understand if people disagree with this, but if you don't like it, don't play theme games.

In any case, a post restriction should usually not be the type where code is useful for easier communication. A good example I saw was where a guy had to speak in rhyme with a certain poetic structure. Sure he could use code, but he'd still have to write poetry.
---Aldous Huxley[/i]
Ghyrt
Ghyrt
Goon
Ghyrt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:03 am

Post by Ghyrt »

I had an idea for a bastard mod game:

The premise is that the game is perfectly normal game... with one exception: everyone (minus one) has a post restriction because someone has stolen their ability to speak normally. The post restrictions will go away once that person is dead. The catch is that nobody has a post restriction and everyone is told (via PM) that they're the post restrictor in addition to their other role. Everyone is also warned (secretly), that as the post restrictor, being lynched will result in the death of X other people on their team. :D
---Aldous Huxley[/i]
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:20 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Ghyrt wrote: In any case, a post restriction should usually not be the type where code is useful for easier communication. A good example I saw was where a guy had to speak in rhyme with a certain poetic structure. Sure he could use code, but he'd still have to write poetry.
You mean, me?

Grrr...

Actually, it wasn't so bad. Early in the game, it was rather fun, but it was still more difficult to participate in a useful manner, and quite hard to defend myself when people decided to attack me. Still, note that a person with a post rescrtiction, even one that allows that much communication, simply will not post as much content or push the game as well as a person without a post restriction. A "fun" restriction like that isn't necessarally a bad thing. but if you've got even one post-restricted person in a game you're modding, you've got to be that much quicker about prodding/replacing lurkers in order to keep up participation.

Another post restriction I has was one where I always had to agree with two people but disagree with two other people (and as it turned out, the people I had to disagree with were town and the people I had to agree with were scum). I did ok with that one, I think, I actually managed to help the town win dispite the restriction, but the vaugeness of it really got to me and made it quite difficult for me to post much at all. It was an interesting challange to overcome, and I had some fun doing it, but it basically forced me to be a semi-lurker for most of that game.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie

Return to “Mafia Discussion”