The New Set-Up Review Thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Alduskkel
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2251 (isolation #0) » Fri May 24, 2013 7:26 pm

Post by Alduskkel »

Need a review for a 17p semi-open setup. It'll be going through the Large Normal Queue eventually, I hope.

Spoiler: Knight-Errant
Using the following table:
Town DoctorMafia TrackerTown GunsmithMafia Roleblocker
Mafia GodfatherTown CopMafia WatcherTown Tracker
Town JailkeeperMafia RoleblockerTown BulletproofMafia Tracker
Mafia WatcherTown 3-Shot CommuterMafia GodfatherTown Roleblocker

Imagine a chess knight placed randomly on the 4x4 table. Then, pick a random move available to that knight. For example, you could pick Town Cop + Tracker vs. Mafia Roleblocker + Watcher.
Add 2 Masons and 2 Mafia Goons.
Then add a JOAT Serial Killer. The SK has 1-shot abilities according to the setup that was chosen. If an ability shows up twice (e.g. a setup with a Mafia Roleblocker and a Town Roleblocker) then the ability is 2-shot. The SK also has a 1-shot strongman.

Mafia Godfathers are both bulletproof and investigation immune.

Setup is 12-4-1 overall.

Main Issues/Important Notes:
1. Possibly too many roleblocking roles. Either there needs to be a good (read: balanced) way to resolve this, or some new roles should be put in.
2. Setup iterations are not guaranteed to be completely balanced, of course, but some may be potentially broken. I'm no good with statistics though, so I don't know how to calculate how many iterations there are, and certainly not what they are short of just thinking of as many knight moves as possible. But if I had a list of all of them then it'd be easier to review each one for balance (unless there are hundreds of them).
3. One of the main goals of this setup is to have interesting setup speculation and fake claim possibilities.
4. The setup should remain relatively normal in terms of what roles can show up.
CLICK HERE FOR THE ALDUSKKEL APPRECIATION PAGE
"i've only known aldus for four and a half months but if anything happened to him i would kill everyone in this room and then myself" -Datisi, March 28 2020
Alduskkel
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2276 (isolation #1) » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:39 pm

Post by Alduskkel »

In post 2251, Alduskkel wrote:Need a review for a 17p semi-open setup. It'll be going through the Large Normal Queue eventually, I hope.

Imagine a chess knight placed randomly on the 4x4 table. Then, pick a random move available to that knight. For example, you could pick Town Cop + Tracker vs. Mafia Roleblocker + Watcher.
Then add a JOAT Serial Killer. The SK has 1-shot abilities according to the setup that was chosen. If an ability shows up twice (e.g. a setup with a Mafia Roleblocker and a Town Roleblocker) then the ability is 2-shot. The SK also has a 1-shot strongman.

Setup is 12-4-1 overall.

1. Possibly too many roleblocking roles. Either there needs to be a good (read: balanced) way to resolve this, or some new roles should be put in.
2. Setup iterations are not guaranteed to be completely balanced, of course, but some may be potentially broken. I'm no good with statistics though, so I don't know how to calculate how many iterations there are, and certainly not what they are short of just thinking of as many knight moves as possible. But if I had a list of all of them then it'd be easier to review each one for balance (unless there are hundreds of them).
3. One of the main goals of this setup is to have interesting setup speculation and fake claim possibilities.
4. The setup should remain relatively normal in terms of what roles can show up.
Still need this... any feedback would be appreciated.
"i've only known aldus for four and a half months but if anything happened to him i would kill everyone in this room and then myself" -Datisi, March 28 2020
Alduskkel
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2278 (isolation #2) » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:41 pm

Post by Alduskkel »

In post 2276, Alduskkel wrote:
In post 2251, Alduskkel wrote:Need a review for a 17p semi-open setup. It'll be going through the Large Normal Queue eventually, I hope.

Setup is 12-4-1 overall.

Still need this... any feedback would be appreciated.
Cross-reviewing with SK, not needed anymore.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”