Long term health of mafiascum

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:30 am

Post by saulres »

In post 23, Bicephalous Bob wrote:hmm, it's way better than the current MafBlack, but I don't think I'm the only one who dislikes reading loads of white text on a black background. I think you have a bigger chance to get your design to be the standard if you start with a black-on-white design.

I agree with the above.

But:
In post 5, Vi wrote:old people who no longer have the time to play

That's me. I'm old, having used forums for I believe longer than some scummers have been alive, and so I'm very comfortable with the default skin and it doesn't turn me off. So I don't know if my opinions match what the youngsters find attractive nowadays.
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:37 am

Post by quadz08 »

I will
definitely
say that if we're moving towards a skin redesign (or any other changes of that ilk) we need to get general concepts from the general public, then turn a small group loose on it to actually implement the specifics. If we let the whole site discuss the minutiae of a site visual update, nothing will ever get done.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:52 am

Post by Quilford »

In post 23, Bicephalous Bob wrote:I think you have a bigger chance to get your design to be the standard if you start with a black-on-white design.

I literally just inverted the design in #19 to obtain this; is that something you'd prefer?

quadz08 wrote:I will
definitely
say that if we're moving towards a skin redesign (or any other changes of that ilk) we need to get general concepts from the general public, then turn a small group loose on it to actually implement the specifics. If we let the whole site discuss the minutiae of a site visual update, nothing will ever get done.

Yep. It would really be necessary to get a bunch of designers working towards a common goal, because theming for phpBB is deathly tedious.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:57 am

Post by quadz08 »

I actually really like that.

EDIT - something that may not matter - is that color scheme colorblind-friendly?
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:05 am

Post by Quilford »

I'm pretty sure that most colour blind viewers would be able to distinguish the red text from the grey background.
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:18 am

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

In post 27, Quilford wrote:I literally just inverted the design in #19 to obtain this; is that something you'd prefer?

I'd prefer it, but I'm not a big fan of the light grey/red palette.
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:21 am

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

It might work better with a broken white background and #222-ish body text.
Casanova
Casanova
Townie
Casanova
Townie
Townie

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:55 am

Post by Casanova »

In post 11, chamber wrote:Thoughts on just making mafblack default?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

mafBlack is 100x better than the other skins. Even the sepia one is marginally better than the current default.
Lissa
Lissa
Goon
Lissa
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:02 am

Post by Lissa »

... I like the default blue. :lol:
Casanova
Casanova
Townie
Casanova
Townie
Townie

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:04 am

Post by Casanova »

In post 33, Lissa wrote:... I like the default blue. :lol:

It's mostly the logo/title block that makes me want to break things, to be honest. :roll:

I have nothing against the color blue.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:21 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I think we also might be able to become more appealing if we had a better automation system. I know automated signups/game tracking have been talked about for a long time, but no other site has that. Every site has forums where people can play mafia games and we're not the only place to play and learn anymore. But if we had the automated signups, game tracking, etc I think it'd make us stand out. No other site is going to bother with implementing that type of system when they're not specifically mafia focused.
green shirt thursdays
Casanova
Casanova
Townie
Casanova
Townie
Townie

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:27 am

Post by Casanova »

In post 35, xRECKONERx wrote:I think we also might be able to become more appealing if we had a better automation system. I know automated signups/game tracking have been talked about for a long time, but no other site has that. Every site has forums where people can play mafia games and we're not the only place to play and learn anymore. But if we had the automated signups, game tracking, etc I think it'd make us stand out. No other site is going to bother with implementing that type of system when they're not specifically mafia focused.

I agree. If you want to stand out, capitalize on your advantages. Mafiascum is 1.) large and 2.) specialized.

Automation would be more fitting here than anywhere else.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:29 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I also agree with the Web 1.0 sentiment.

Check out this phpBB theme. It feels more current, especially the background and bottom navbar area. Having to access the UCP through a series of informal/text-based interfaces feels bad. Or even check out this one, with responsive HTML5 design. Browsing MS from a mobile device (phone/tablet) is currently an exercise in "how to feel like it's 2006 again".

The site essentially runs itself right now, but for example, having a site presence on Twitter is a really cool idea. I wish it was used more but posting news/announcements/community engagement there is a really awesome idea. And we have a Facebook group, but that's not really doing a whole lot, and FB killed the group message thing. People only use sitechat to chat... why not play mafia games in there? Why aren't people doing it?

What about an app? What if there was a Mafia Scum mobile app that allowed users to play a live game of mafia. Nuwen and I were working on mafia.app for awhile but then she got busy, but if we had something like that, site-branded, where people could play on their phones or tablets (or even a Facebook plugin?) it would certainly increase our appeal.

All of these projects will take tons of coding and time, though, and for a site with no revenue that is purely volunteer-based, I don't think it's feasible. That's the issue. We don't want to monetize the site, and we shouldn't. But I personally think selling stuff like the t-shirts, mafia cards, even beanies or sweatshirts or TIGER ATTACK plushies, who fucking knows... that kind of stuff could be sold, and the "profits" could be used to pay someone for their efforts to get some of these larger projects done (IE, signup automation).
green shirt thursdays
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:45 am

Post by quadz08 »

Reck, do you have suggestions on what else to broadcast on the twitter account? All the skittles have access, but I tend to make most of the posts since I'm the most active twitter-person among the mod team.
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:45 am

Post by saulres »

Reck the sites you link to sure seem to have a lot of wasted real estate on the sides. Is that to be mobile-friendly? Because on a computer, that's just a whole lot of blank space which could be used for more content. Is that what passes for "good" these days?
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
On permanent
V/LA
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:52 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 38, quadz08 wrote:Reck, do you have suggestions on what else to broadcast on the twitter account? All the skittles have access, but I tend to make most of the posts since I'm the most active twitter-person among the mod team.

I mean, it's just a constant monitoring/updating of stuff. I personally wish the Radioscum project hadn't died, or that we had a site podcast, or something, because that'd give us more to talk about. I'd say the Twitter account should mostly be used to interact with the community. Reply to Tweets, retweet stuff, get some exposure. Then make site announcements/changes public on there. "Hey, our Newbie Queue needs some mods to sign up, please help if you can!" or "Welcome our newest listmod!", that kind of stuff is great.
In post 39, saulres wrote:Reck the sites you link to sure seem to have a lot of wasted real estate on the sides. Is that to be mobile-friendly? Because on a computer, that's just a whole lot of blank space which could be used for more content. Is that what passes for "good" these days?

I mean, have you seen the design of the most popular sites on the web?

Facebook is basically made of blank space on the sides. Youtube, too.

I think it's moving towards a fluid, consistent design across all platforms. My YouTube homepage now looks almost identical to my YouTube app on my Android phone which looks almost identical to my YouTube app on my tablet.

Think about this: more internet traffic comes from mobile than desktop now. It's not a matter of thinking about what looks good on the desktop anymore. Design is more heavily influenced from providing a great mobile experience, then translating that aesthetic/dynamic over to the desktop experience as well as possible.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:53 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

And, like I said... when more traffic is coming from those avenues, of course we won't keep up. Trying to use the site right now on a mobile platform is an exercise in futility.
green shirt thursdays
Riddleton
Riddleton
Mafia Scum
Riddleton
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:54 am

Post by Riddleton »

Maybe I'm just old skool, but I can't be the only person who hates the web 2.0 bling crap, right?

I think Sepia is the best default scheme here if you want to change that. I agree that the logo and banner does need modernization, though
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:14 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 42, Riddleton wrote:Maybe I'm just old skool, but I can't be the only person who hates the web 2.0 bling crap, right?

I think Sepia is the best default scheme here if you want to change that. I agree that the logo and banner does need modernization, though

And yet here we are about to launch into Web 3.0!
green shirt thursdays
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:20 am

Post by quadz08 »

White space is a really important concept in modern graphic design. It increases readability and forces designers to include content in simple, content-rich packets. (hence simple icons for social media links, etc.)
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:47 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

In post 41, xRECKONERx wrote:And, like I said... when more traffic is coming from those avenues, of course we won't keep up. Trying to use the site right now on a mobile platform is an exercise in futility.

I don't have a problem with using the site on my mobile, why do others?
Are people trying to use the mobile "orientated" themes or some rubbish? I guess I've never really tried them, but the normal theme is fine for what I do.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:48 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

It's not optimized for mobile. You can zoom in and click and scroll, but try using our site versus a site designed to be use don a mobile and it's night and day.
green shirt thursdays
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:03 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

I still rather use the full site on websites that have the option. Although I could be lying, the last site I frequented that had the option was before I got my smartphone.
They upgraded everything and I no longer like it as much, but to be fair I was losing interest in it beforehand.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:18 am

Post by saulres »

I find that sites that have a different layout when they're on a computer vs. when they're on mobile, but have the same functionality, are the ideal. I doubt there are enough programming resources here to go that route though.

I do work on computers, so I'm on them most of the time. And I find typing on computers much easier than any mobile keyboard
ever
will be (with no autocorrect to worry about!) but as I said before, there are kids on my lawn that I need to go yell at.
On permanent
V/LA
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:23 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Well, I'm not suggesting the desktop site should be the mobile site just on a desktop. There are universal design principles that provide a seamless experience across any platform.
green shirt thursdays

Return to “Mafia Discussion”