Long term health of mafiascum

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:49 am

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

In post 42, Riddleton wrote:Maybe I'm just old skool, but I can't be the only person who hates the web 2.0 bling crap, right?

I agree that the templates reck linked to are not even close to the right look for this site, but Web 2.0 doesn't mean bling crap.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:56 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Nor do I think they're the right look, but they look better/use some principles this site should use.
green shirt thursdays
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:01 am

Post by fferyllt »

In post 38, quadz08 wrote:Reck, do you have suggestions on what else to broadcast on the twitter account? All the skittles have access, but I tend to make most of the posts since I'm the most active twitter-person among the mod team.

What about a summary of games going into sign-ups? It seems like what many are here for is to play games, and finding new games to play is entirely a pull process right now.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:03 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 22, wgeurts wrote:Once resorting and updating info like "Games Played" is out the way I can hunt for people to make articles on meta now, update and discuss role balance and all that stuff.
These priorities seem reversed. :?

@automation: Would I be mistaken in saying that EpicMafia has that to a significant degree? responding to the "no other site has that" comment. I'm also skeptical about how automated signups would be useful. Getting into a game immediately would be cool, but the result is still a game that takes weeks. If the pacing of our games is a problem - which in an era of pick-up-and-play game phone apps may be the case - then it's going to help get people in the door but won't help retention.

The entire "this web site looks like it sucks" discussion bores me tbqh. However, I do think that making mafBlack the default skin is a good idea. The less we can look like we're using forum defaults, the better.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:13 pm

Post by chamber »

I don't think dismissing any idea's yet is a good idea. I do think we may want to sub-segment discussion though. Let wiki people talk about wiki priorities and design people talk about site design.
Taking a break from the site.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:57 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

EpicMafia is automated to run quick chat based games. I'm talking automation that tracks games you're in, let's the mod designate what factions won, tracks statistics, provides a summary of what alignments or roles you draw most often, success rates as various alignments or roles, etc

and I'm sorry if the style conversation bores you, but we are a website and this discussion is about how to become more appealing to users.
green shirt thursdays
Casanova
Casanova
Townie
Casanova
Townie
Townie

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:21 pm

Post by Casanova »

Can I just point out that the mafBlack skin matches the mafiascum.net homepage as well?

The site's flow from Homepage -> Forums would feel more unified if the default skin (the only one visitors will see) was mafBlack.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:34 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 55, xRECKONERx wrote:EpicMafia is automated to run quick chat based games. I'm talking automation that tracks games you're in, let's the mod designate what factions won, tracks statistics, provides a summary of what alignments or roles you draw most often, success rates as various alignments or roles, etc
I agree that would be interesting, but unless it looks exceptionally shiny I don't think that's going to get new people in the door. The people who care about that sort of thing are generally well-established (and create vanity pages on the wiki) and aren't likely to quit because it's
not
there. Like, if you had a 100% win rate or only ever drew Town once that would be something really cool that you could show your friends, but statistically speaking most people aren't going to get that.

and I'm sorry if the style conversation bores you, but we are a website and this discussion is about how to become more appealing to users.
I'd snark back, but admittedly what I said was not just gauche but probably undervalues the "first impression" factor as well. Sorry.

chamber wrote:I don't think dismissing any idea's yet is a good idea. I do think we may want to sub-segment discussion though. Let wiki people talk about wiki priorities and design people talk about site design.
Less "dismissing" and more "prioritizing". Please don't get me wrong, most if not all of the things presented here would add value, but for answering how to attract and retain newbies, they're not equally effective.

*Search results (should already be maxed out or close to it)
*Innovative outreach projects - apps and chats, for instance (market research goes in here somewhere)
*Site image/layout (first impressions)
*Retention improvements (geared toward newbies)
*Wiki (no longer the outreach tool it was)
*Back-end automation (geared toward established players/mods)
is my guess for how I'd prioritize things.

Selling Mafia merch to pay for upgrades is an interesting idea. I'd be curious to see how that would work based on our previous sales of T-shirts, etc.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:40 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

I think the automation process has a lot to put towards the whole, "Ooooh! Shiny!" factor that gets people to stick around.
green shirt thursdays
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:49 pm

Post by Natirasha »

TeamLiquid is how most people in my social group know mafia from.

Why? They livestream games.

I think a mafiascum livestream channel with a reasonable air schedule for a few hours a week would do a lot to get the name out there more than anything else(I mean, TL's interface is arguably worse than ours!).
Current Avatar: Dr. Contessa(OC, art by @pastelpuffin)
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:56 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

yeah, I actually posted an idea for a MS stream channel awhile back but it didn't get much momentum.
green shirt thursdays
Doctor Who
Doctor Who
Goon
Doctor Who
Goon
Goon

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:00 pm

Post by Doctor Who »

When someone visits the forum and sees threads that haven't been posted in for months, I think it makes MS look bad.
Hunt scum or be hunted.
Doctor Who
Doctor Who
Goon
Doctor Who
Goon
Goon

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:03 pm

Post by Doctor Who »

I think there are too many stickied threads also. They all can't be that important - the most important one is how to join a new game.
Hunt scum or be hunted.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:33 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

In post 57, Vi wrote:I agree that would be interesting, but unless it looks exceptionally shiny I don't think that's going to get new people in the door. The people who care about that sort of thing are generally well-established (and create vanity pages on the wiki) and aren't likely to quit because it's not there. Like, if you had a 100% win rate or only ever drew Town once that would be something really cool that you could show your friends, but statistically speaking most people aren't going to get that.

Which friends am I meant to be showing off my 100% scum record to?
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Phoenicks
Phoenicks
Goon
Phoenicks
Goon
Goon

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:43 pm

Post by Phoenicks »

When I introduce friends to mafiascum, I always say "sign up ~2 weeks before you want to play". The newbie queue looks like it's sped up (the average looks like 4-5 days now). But if you're new, there is a wait other sites avoid. A friend I tried to get into mafia for years started playing a browser knock-off called Town of Salem. My friends can play offline or, increasingly, on Skype.

If my friends play newbies, they can only play one game at a time. The current setup, with 6 power roles to explain at once, demands players learn more than many other common setups. As executed, the Newbie section does not train new members, but weeds them out. It is a holding pen.

And when my friends want to design and host their own setup, they won't do it here: the requirements are too strict. Most hosts don't want to wait 3 months and host a trial Open/Mini first. They host offsite instead. We picked quality over quantity.

Mafiascum, at every level, takes more commitment than other mafia sites. We are not a general site, but an enthuasiast's site. Other forums that happen to have mafia sections draw new players. We only draw players who have already heard of mafia. With our reputation for snobbery* and the growing quality of offsite mafia, we are a poor choice for new players.

(*I think this comes from mafiascum's high average age, our strictness around beliefs like "Lynch All Liars," and that we let players get angrier than many other forums allow.)
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:50 pm

Post by chamber »

What do you guys think about having the chat defaulting to on instead of off (in terms of hoping to increase user retention)? I think my graph clearly shows the bigger issue is just new players not showing up though. User retention seems decent.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:53 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Rising from the dead.

Is there any way to code chat mafia games in the chat? Like make a simple chat bot?

Do we want mafiascum to be the go to for all mafia games? Chat, webcam, etc?

Epicmafia is trash, there is currently no where to play chat mafia games with any reasonable balance. I think MS filling that void could bring in a lot of users.

In it's current form, the chat isn't really a good way for mafia games imo.

I agree with Reck about tracking stats, if there was any possible way we could get that going, I know that'd attract a lot of attention.

Automated modding may also want to be a way we start heading towards. Insert the roles in the game, insert the player names, role pms automatically go out, and stats start to be tracked.

I have no idea what I'm talking about with that though.
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:57 pm

Post by Natirasha »

xylbot for sitechat would be pretty cool.
Current Avatar: Dr. Contessa(OC, art by @pastelpuffin)
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:12 pm

Post by Psyche »

Sign-up pace are hard to speed up, but if we had things like chat mafia (or the marathon subforum with perhaps limits on how often someone can make a post?), we could have better user retention even when sign-up times are so bad.

I really believe that it's that time gap between signing-up and starting a game that we lose loads of people who could themselves bring in other people.

I'm really interested in the whole automation thing and there's really little limit to how much time I'd volunteer to help out with that. I don't think it's that big of a deal for attracting people, but anything that accelerates the engagement of new users with the site seems like a great idea to me.
Howl
Howl
Goon
Howl
Goon
Goon

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:13 pm

Post by Howl »

Just as someone from the outside, I came here because the community I was in got shitty, however most of the people I know that play with me irl are much more interested in the variants like "Resistance" and the like. Were they interested in playing mafia the first thing they would look for in a site to play on would be either an app that is tailored to their account. For example it just shows threads they've bookmarked or something like that. Ease of access is always going to be the key and I've found it to be a barrier to getting friends to play online in the past.

Other forums I visit run both pbp mafia and every single multichannel chat room I go on these days has chat mafia as a room option. They are generally done with automated systems and you don't even need a moderator other than to settle disputes or trolls.

I think if you want to get higher traffic you need to tap in to the players that have only played chat mafia and don't know about the other options as well as creating easier access for the main site so people are happy to play.

You guys have a great position (As a specialty site) to make a proper mafia app that people can use to play various types of mafia. Just as a suggestion I would make two apps if you have the resources. One as a pure chat mafia system that just affiliates with the main site to bring in traffic to both the wiki and the forum, as well as an app that makes accessing the main site easier on the go.

/2cents
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:41 pm

Post by Shadoweh »

I personally find the modding requirements here insulting. I've been playing for years and run multiple successful games offsite. If I wanted to run a game here it would need to be either sanitized of all fun and run by a committee or
picked by Llamafluff
a small selection of Open setups. Also it would take.. how many months to actually be run, and be required to be how many months long? I'm not interested enough in earning my Mafia Mod (TM) stripes to do that.

It's funny that the Micro Queue is such an innovation here to be honest, because it plays out the way mafia is played everywhere else. Quick, small, not needing as much time investment. I look at joining a non-Micro game right now and wow, it would cut into my Christmas holiday. Who has time for that for a forum-game?

I don't think livestreaming would help, because it would be false advertising. Here's some face to face mafia! Wasn't that a great party game? Now go sign up and in a week you can post once a day for three months! Mafiascum the forum is never going to be a F2F mafia site.

In post 57, Vi wrote:
In post 55, xRECKONERx wrote:EpicMafia is automated to run quick chat based games. I'm talking automation that tracks games you're in, let's the mod designate what factions won, tracks statistics, provides a summary of what alignments or roles you draw most often, success rates as various alignments or roles, etc
I agree that would be interesting, but unless it looks exceptionally shiny I don't think that's going to get new people in the door. The people who care about that sort of thing are generally well-established (and create vanity pages on the wiki) and aren't likely to quit because it's
not
there. Like, if you had a 100% win rate or only ever drew Town once that would be something really cool that you could show your friends, but statistically speaking most people aren't going to get that.
I think you are super wrong about who cares about their success rates. If you've played less games, doesn't it make sense that you care more about those individual games? It's not a 100% win-rate that matters, it's linking and sharing experiences even if you lost. Creating a wiki-stat page and manually updating it after every game is too much effort for a scorecard, if they were made automatically more people would know about and use them. (I mean, we don't even have a 'these people are currently playing in a mafia game RIGHT NOW' board to show just how many people are playing at a given time.)
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:55 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 66, BBmolla wrote:Rising from the dead.

Is there any way to code chat mafia games in the chat? Like make a simple chat bot?

Do we want mafiascum to be the go to for all mafia games? Chat, webcam, etc?

Epicmafia is trash, there is currently no where to play chat mafia games with any reasonable balance. I think MS filling that void could bring in a lot of users.

In it's current form, the chat isn't really a good way for mafia games imo.

I agree with Reck about tracking stats, if there was any possible way we could get that going, I know that'd attract a lot of attention.

Automated modding may also want to be a way we start heading towards. Insert the roles in the game, insert the player names, role pms automatically go out, and stats start to be tracked.

I have no idea what I'm talking about with that though.

Other than automation of modding what do you see as the sitechat needing?
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:03 am

Post by chamber »

In post 70, Shadoweh wrote:I personally find the modding requirements here insulting. I've been playing for years and run multiple successful games offsite. If I wanted to run a game here it would need to be either sanitized of all fun and run by a committee or
picked by Llamafluff
a small selection of Open setups. Also it would take.. how many months to actually be run, and be required to be how many months long? I'm not interested enough in earning my Mafia Mod (TM) stripes to do that.

It's funny that the Micro Queue is such an innovation here to be honest, because it plays out the way mafia is played everywhere else. Quick, small, not needing as much time investment. I look at joining a non-Micro game right now and wow, it would cut into my Christmas holiday. Who has time for that for a forum-game?

I don't think livestreaming would help, because it would be false advertising. Here's some face to face mafia! Wasn't that a great party game? Now go sign up and in a week you can post once a day for three months! Mafiascum the forum is never going to be a F2F mafia site.

In post 57, Vi wrote:
not
I think you are super wrong about who cares about their success rates. If you've played less games, doesn't it make sense that you care more about those individual games? It's not a 100% win-rate that matters, it's linking and sharing experiences even if you lost. Creating a wiki-stat page and manually updating it after every game is too much effort for a scorecard, if they were made automatically more people would know about and use them. (I mean, we don't even have a 'these people are currently playing in a mafia game RIGHT NOW' board to show just how many people are playing at a given time.)

I do think queue overhaul is a serious option. I think getting rid of queues, making threads with tags like [mini],[large] or [micro], [theme], [heavy mechanics] w/e. And then listmods just need to approve the creation of a thread, let the free market decide who's games fill. Maybe limit certain tags to certain amounts of experience. Perhaps limit -too- many games of the same type from going into signups at once. Perhaps allow vetted off site experience. The list mods job could move to doing that from maintaining the queue.
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:20 am

Post by Katsuki »

I'm curious what user retention rates are like given the shift in meta
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
"READING KATSUKI IS LIKE SOME SORT OF POSTMODERN ARTFORM"
- GreyICE
Katsuki is by far more absurdly beautiful than Fate. (hai parama)
Katsuki's Madness coming to you shortly: Nov, 2011!

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
coming to you summer 2011! ~ Pre-ins: 11/13
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:30 am

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

If sitechat is really going to be used for mafia, it'd make sense to have a fixed-link fullscreen version of the chat so votecount lines don't break and it's easier to look back in history, for example. It should really look like a place to play mafia, having all information (rooms, players online, xylbot docs) in one place, not just like a superimposed add-on.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”