Hydra's signing posts

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
PocketFullofSunshine
PocketFullofSunshine
Goon
PocketFullofSunshine
Goon
Goon

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:40 am

Post by PocketFullofSunshine »

Signing posts doesn't really mean much. I had mala post a readslist while pretending to be me because Mollie wouldn't leave me alone.
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:42 am

Post by pirate mollie »

okay i am done. that was fun.

hi tth!
whew!
TellTaleHeart
TellTaleHeart
Mafia Scum
TellTaleHeart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:44 am

Post by TellTaleHeart »

Shut up! I wanted to see if anyone would notice. :evil:
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:20 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 41, Heaven and Hell wrote:IF YOU CAN'T TELL MOLLIE AND I APART YOU DON'T DESERVE MY MUDERCOCK IN A GAME.

i can't tell if this post is me or mollie

for real though, back when DGB and I Serened for the first time with Fate, there were seriously some posts that I couldn't remember if they were me or DGB
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:33 am

Post by T-Bone »

I'll use first person nouns sometimes when I hydra to differentiate me from my partner (and I might talk about them too), but I don't make a point to do it. We're one slot, and I'm not interested in silly meta things.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:08 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

In post 0, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:The thing that interests me the most is that some players make it a point to refuse to sign posts even when asked. I've never asked anyone to sign their posts but I've seen some people do which leaves me very curious about people's refusal to sign their posts. Can someone that normally adamantly refuses to sign posts explain why you do it?

One thing that I've noticed is that occasionally people will focus in on the head of the hydra they know better and will only be interested in talking to them: I understand why it happens and I don't generally mind when people address hydra heads individually but I do enjoy how ambiguity means people dealing with hydra heads don't always know who they're talking to and thus treats you the same way they'd address the head they are more familiar with, and I also like how it allows me to sort of silently pretend to be my other hydra head without anyone realizing/other head complaining about it, and I like how it encourages hydra heads to meld more than they normally would otherwise: I find my hydra partners and I tend to post more like each other when we are the hydra as opposed to two different heads.
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

-- Fate, Vanilla Townie, was brutally stabbed by a throwing sword in endgame.
notscience
notscience
Survivor
notscience
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:16 am

Post by notscience »

In post 50, PocketFullofSunshine wrote:Signing posts doesn't really mean much. I had mala post a readslist while pretending to be me because Mollie wouldn't leave me alone.

She still didn't do t his
Show
STRIKE HARD

STRIKE FAST

NO MERCY
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:52 am

Post by pirate mollie »

okay!

I am not going to interfere with your hydra!

you know it wld help if you signed your posts!
whew!
notscience
notscience
Survivor
notscience
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:16 am

Post by notscience »

:P
Show
STRIKE HARD

STRIKE FAST

NO MERCY
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:55 pm

Post by F-16_Fighting_Falcon »

In post 6, Faraday wrote:
In post 0, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:Do you or don't you sign posts in hydra's? Why?

Never. If you can't tell the difference from the content then you knowing probably isn't that important or useful to you.

I don't agree because if we are all playing under alts for instance, not everyone would be able to tell who everyone else is. But that doesn't mean meta is useless when we are playing on our mains.

In post 10, chamber wrote:If it matters you are hydraing wrong.

There are different opinions on how hydras should operate. Yours is one of them. There is no right or wrong here.

In post 27, Tierce wrote:If you can't generally tell the posters apart, you don't know their meta well enough to be making decisions based on who wrote what, as those decisions are all meta. Everything else can be figured out in the context of the game itself, and there the hydra heads should try to present as unified a front as possible and be clear when they are not in agreement.

This is a common fallacy that a lot of non-signing advocates put forth but my response is the same as my response to Faraday. Identifying a player and figuring out their alignment are two different things. Meta remains useful regardless of whether you can identify the player or not.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:26 pm

Post by Cabd »

"morph who wrote this post?"

...regardless of our answer later...

"That's a scumclaim. Vote: Morph"

Edit: Oh yeah, so ffery already said it
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:47 pm

Post by kuribo »

The thing I hate is when one head clearly hasn't been paying attention or posting, and as soon as that head comes into the thread, people start with "Okay, now explain what your other head meant by this: Oh, you can't explain?! You're scum!"

or maybe that's just a problem that I have when Serening

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:32 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

I remember seeing an argument that hydras signing posts reduces the chance for a player to pass off their own contradictions as hydra dissonance.
eyestott
eyestott
Mafia Scum
eyestott
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:53 am

Post by eyestott »

I think that if the style is completely different, signing isn't necessary.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:55 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 59, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:I don't agree because if we are all playing under alts for instance, not everyone would be able to tell who everyone else is. But that doesn't mean meta is useless when we are playing on our mains.

Trying to guess who someone is from ~150 players isn't the same as being able to tell if it's one of two people, though? Also anyone I think i'd be reasonably be able to meta I'd expect to have a fair idea of an alt of theirs if playing with them, or reading their games. (E.g. Tammy)
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:36 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 63, eyestott wrote:I think that if the style is completely different, signing isn't necessary.

And yet people consistently claim they can't tell if it's me, DGB, or fakegod posting

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:38 am

In post 64, Faraday wrote:
In post 59, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:I don't agree because if we are all playing under alts for instance, not everyone would be able to tell who everyone else is. But that doesn't mean meta is useless when we are playing on our mains.

Trying to guess who someone is from ~150 players isn't the same as being able to tell if it's one of two people, though? Also anyone I think i'd be reasonably be able to meta I'd expect to have a fair idea of an alt of theirs if playing with them, or reading their games. (E.g. Tammy)

That's a good point but people can meta cold as well. There are a lot of times I've used meta to refine my read on players I've never played with before. There was also a time when Empire posted a massive meta case on me based on games he didn't play in. You don't have to know someone well in order to figure out whether they are playing to their town or scum meta although I think experiential meta helps.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:54 am

Post by kuribo »

Meta is bullshit anyway. I've seen people complain that I must be scum because I'm too nice (never mind that it's provably untrue), and also that I'm too aggressive to be town. I have literally seen both arguments from two different players in the same game. People think I'm scum if I'm not pissed off 100% of the time. People think I'm scum if I get pissed off. I literally can't play a game where people don't day shit like "why isn't kuribo yelling at us, he must be scum?" Which is pretty bullshit anyway since I love being scum to begin with. Then if someone does piss me off, it's "lol rage more scum."

People on this site are absolutely ridiculous with the amount of flawed meta they will cite and it infuriates me to murderous violence. And I can't even say how much it pisses me off because someone would call it scum theatre.

I've found the perfect solution, I just don't play anymore.

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:57 am

Then that's the issue with people not using meta well, not the usage of meta itself. A lot of people use meta badly or look for things that aren't alignment relevant. That doesn't take away from the fact that those of us who do know what to look for will be able to use it accurately. For instance, I use meta extensively but I doubt I'd ever call you scum for being nice. I also remember Mastin had a really good meta read on you in that Death Note game.

I'm strongly of the opinion that people who diss on meta either don't actually know how meta usage works or like you have been exposed to people who don't and have a lot of frustration over incorrect use of meta.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:08 pm

Post by kuribo »

That's because Mastin is one of the few people that meta really properly. When I read the scum QT for anything goes, she had posted strategies for dealing with almost every towns person and it was scary accurate how well it played out from her intial assessment. Mastin scares me because she gets me.

Conversely, I remember Reck in POTUS mafia saying he figured I'd go on and on about what an asshole I was and that they'd try to lynch me. Then becoming baffled when I basically refused to do anything but troll and lurk. I was a tree stump and I knew I'd be back from the dead as confirmed town. Reck isn't a shitty player by any stretch, just that he didn't really have a good grasp of my meta. Or maybe being a treestump gave me the freedom to do whatever i wanted without fear of comeuppance. I do feel like my meta swings drastically depending on my role. In short I should always be a treestump.

Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:20 pm

Post by Untrod Tripod »

In post 67, kuribo wrote:Meta is bullshit
In post 67, kuribo wrote:People on this site are absolutely ridiculous with the amount of flawed meta they will cite

tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:34 pm

Post by tn5421 »

In post 69, kuribo wrote:That's because Mastin is one of the few people that meta really properly. When I read the scum QT for anything goes, she had posted strategies for dealing with almost every towns person and it was scary accurate how well it played out from her intial assessment. Mastin scares me because she gets me.

Conversely, I remember Reck in POTUS mafia saying he figured I'd go on and on about what an asshole I was and that they'd try to lynch me. Then becoming baffled when I basically refused to do anything but troll and lurk. I was a tree stump and I knew I'd be back from the dead as confirmed town. Reck isn't a shitty player by any stretch, just that he didn't really have a good grasp of my meta. Or maybe being a treestump gave me the freedom to do whatever i wanted without fear of comeuppance. I do feel like my meta swings drastically depending on my role.
In short I should always be a treestump.

I thought shouting at things was indicative of ''kuribo'' aligned player in the game. I'd always assumed it was alignment independent when I first heard about it.
WIP
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:08 pm

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

In post 69, kuribo wrote:Conversely, I remember Reck in POTUS mafia saying he figured I'd go on and on about what an asshole I was and that they'd try to lynch me. Then becoming baffled when I basically refused to do anything but troll and lurk. I was a tree stump and I knew I'd be back from the dead as confirmed town. Reck isn't a shitty player by any stretch, just that he didn't really have a good grasp of my meta. Or maybe being a treestump gave me the freedom to do whatever i wanted without fear of comeuppance. I do feel like my meta swings drastically depending on my role. In short I should always be a treestump.

None of that happened

Reck was scum that game

I was the only player scumreading you and I hadn't played with you before
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:50 pm

Post by Tammy »

Signing in hydras is for lamos.
I am in the top 90% of scumhunters onsite!
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:30 pm

Post by T S O »

In post 43, 50 Shades of Purple wrote:whoa, who invited all these people

the only time I ever signed my posts was when I was when our hydra was scum in that open game. I thought that it wld make me look protown and it worked!

so well that we nked by the SK :(

but you nk'd me n1 for calling you scum

*droops head*

Return to “Mafia Discussion”