How much Mafia can you handle?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
eyestott
eyestott
Mafia Scum
eyestott
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

How much Mafia can you handle?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:10 pm

Post by eyestott »

Ive been wondering lately about the limits of how many different mafia games someone can be in. I know theres no official limit, but surely, even for the best players, theres a limit to how many different games they can play, especially considering that the players of each game may overlap, possibly causing confusion/slips.
So, I have a few questions:

1: How many games are you currently playing?
2: If all of the games you have signed up for start now, how many games will you be in?
3: How many games do you think a normal player can handle ( this obviously depends on the size, so assume each game is arounf 13 players)?
4: How many games can you yourself handle?
5: Whats the largest amount of games you have been in?

1: Im currently playing 2 games, both of which are mini themes.
2: I have a large theme and a mini theme ive /inned for, so 4.
3: Probably 5. IMO, thats around the amount where there will be overlapping players in most of your games.
4: Again, 5.
5: At one point, I was in a Newbie, a mini normal, 2 mini themed, and a 16 player game on another site, so 5.
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:07 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

This gave me flashbacks of zwetschenwasser.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:31 am

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

In post 0, eyestott wrote:1: How many games are you currently playing?

Three.

2: If all of the games you have signed up for start now, how many games will you be in?

Three.

3: How many games do you think a normal player can handle ( this obviously depends on the size, so assume each game is arounf 13 players)?

2, maybe 3 depending on how much free time one has.

The following combinations of game sizes would be the absolute limit:

1) 1 large, 1 anything not large
2) 1 mini, 1 anything not large
3) 3 micros
4) 1 large, 1 mini, 1 micro
5) 1 large, 2 micros

I am currently doing #4. The above is as far as I can personally stretch myself and still be involved. I would much prefer no more than 2 games at a time, and if it's a large, then just the large and nothing else (but could probably squeeze in a micro if the large is not overly demanding).

The reason for this is something I wish more players would incorporate into the way they play on this site. Each game is a commitment to your team. It doesn't matter if you are town or mafia, because your team needs your brain power and skill to win. If you are stretched so thin across multiple games, you are doing each of those games, and all of your team mates in each of them, a huge disservice. That slot could have gone to someone who was willing to put in the appropriate amount of attention. Effort has nothing to do with it. As long as you are participating, that's good enough.

Nine or ten. I was in 3 or 4 micros, 3 newbies, 2 minis, and 1 large. It was over summer before last. I was trying something out and didn't really know my limit at the time. I also wanted to help people out with replacements and there were a lot of good games being modded. I found my limit pretty quickly. It was too much and all of my games suffered. My sanity suffered as well, to be honest.

I think each person needs to figure out their own individual limit. Some people are better when they have a lot to do, and enjoy being busy with games. Others just don't have the energy for it (like me). It really depends on how you like to play, what you think is an appropriate level of activity to commit, and what your own IRL schedule will allow you to do to meet those limits.

--

As an addition to this, and because I play fewer games at a time than I used to, I'm much pickier with what games that I do choose to play.
Art is cool.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:48 am

Post by fferyllt »

In post 0, eyestott wrote:

Two. This is the smallest number of games I've been in concurrently in over 2 years

Two. It's a little late, and I probably won't need it by the time it finally happens, but I've been winding down my games for months with the intent to take a break.

Define normal player? I think the "can handle" algorithm has so many variables that it will always be a moving target for most players.

Usually, I can handle about 8 games comfortably. I sometimes get up as high as 12 when pre-ins come due, and get draconian with myself about more sign-ups until I'm down to 6 or so.

I hit 12 a few times. That gets crazy.

I agree with ETL about games being commitments to teams. This summer/fall I was intentionally using mafia as a distraction/break from real-life. I wasn't honest with myself about the quality of my play during part of that time, and I feel like I did disservices to some of my teams. Which is why I'm attempting to clear the decks and do a reset.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
Malakittens
Malakittens
Survivor
Malakittens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:16 pm

Post by Malakittens »

In post 0, eyestott wrote:Ive been wondering lately about the limits of how many different mafia games someone can be in. I know theres no official limit, but surely, even for the best players, theres a limit to how many different games they can play, especially considering that the players of each game may overlap, possibly causing confusion/slips.

1. Three; two onsite; one offsite.
2. Same number.
3. Depends on the person honestly, but say 3-4.
4. Depends on the size. I can handle one large, two minis, one open and two newbies pretty easily. But normally 7-8 is my limit.
5. Hm, not really sure, but maybe 10-13??
No matter how high the stakes, sooner or later you're just gonna have to go with your gut.
And maybe, just maybe, that'll take you right where you were supposed to be.

Get to know a Mala~Grey<3 4.7.2015
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:59 pm

Post by FakeGod »

You people are crazy.

1. zero
2. zero
3. 13 players at day 1 will generate 13*12*4 = 624 posts or 25 pages on minimum over the course of 2 weeks. That means a player needs to read more than 1.8 pages per real day per game to keep up. After that it depends on how much time a "normal" person is willing to put into playing mafia.
4. two at max
5. four
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.
Aronis
Aronis
Just here for the Pagetop!
Aronis

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:01 pm

Post by Aronis »

1. Three
2. Three
3. 2-6 games
4. 2-4 games
5. Seven
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:41 am

Post by Wisdom »

1. Two
2. Three
3. Greatly depends on the player, their free time, and the amount of effort they are willing to spend in mafia games. I'll say 3-4.
4. I can handle eight, but I usually try to keep it at six-seven max.
5. Ten or something
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:18 am

Post by Espeonage »

depends on the player

I don't even know but it is less than five and more than 2

I dunno, like 7 or something

Don't @ me.
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:19 am

Post by tn5421 »

Any more than 5 mini normal games would be beyond my ability to keep straight
WIP
TierShift
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:11 pm

Post by TierShift »

I can only be actively involved in three games at a time, when I play more there's always one or two that I'm completely disconnected from at any given time.

Heavily depends on the effort one puts into games
When I'd just want to coast by as some people do, I could play 8.
Last edited by TierShift on Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:10 pm

Post by kuribo »

1: One.
2: One.
3: Three Minis and a Large.
4: It used to be about four, with a Large Theme and maybe two or three mini themes. For the last year or year and a half, I've been sticking to MAYBE two games at a time. Sometimes three if one is part of the Serene hydra. Then after I'm done with the games I'm in, I announce my retirement and stop playing for three months or so.
5: Christ, I don't know, probably four or five. I found it way too hard to yell at that many people.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:24 am

Post by tn5421 »

I figure most people can handle 3-4 minis and a large at most.
WIP
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:20 am

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

In post 12, tn5421 wrote:I figure most people can handle 3-4 minis and a large at most.

That's quite a lot for me. I like to be really involved and a large can take it out of me.
Art is cool.
eyestott
eyestott
Mafia Scum
eyestott
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:53 pm

Post by eyestott »

1:2, 3, 2, 3, 0, 3, 2, 1, 1 Average: Just under 2
2:4, 3, 2, 3, 0, 3, 3, 2, 1 Average: 2 and a third
3:5, 2, ?, 3, ?, 4, 3, ?, 4 Average: 3
4:5, 3, 8, 7, 2, 3, 8, 3, 2 Average: 4 and a half
5:5, 9, 12, 11, 4, 7, 10, 10, 4 Average: 8

While this sample space of 9 people doesnt accurately reflect MS as a whole, it is sort of interesting to see just how big the difference is between average current games and average maximum amount. None of us are in more than 3 games, but all of us have been in at least 4 games at one time. All of the guesses for how many games most scummers can handle are actually pretty close.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:49 pm

Post by Iecerint »

In post 1, Kublai Khan wrote:This gave me flashbacks of zwetschenwasser.

Remember when zwet's meta was considered unusual and offensive?
ZZZX
ZZZX
Survivor
ZZZX
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:35 am

Post by ZZZX »

In post 0, eyestott wrote:Ive been wondering lately about the limits of how many different mafia games someone can be in. I know theres no official limit, but surely, even for the best players, theres a limit to how many different games they can play, especially considering that the players of each game may overlap, possibly causing confusion/slips.

1-Currently 3 I guess?
2- 4
3- prob around 3
4- around 2-6 depending on time if I dont want to overload myself
5- +15 at one time. I did fine but i basically over burned myself. summer vacation at that time when i only had time for mafia scum. used to signup for anew game as long as there is no game I dont ahve the last post in. Never again...
Implosion: I see ZZZX was
redacted
. For shame, people. For shame.
The Bulge: ZZZX is ZZZX
Get to know a ZZZX: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=58733
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:17 am

Post by Psyche »

2 2 3 3 3
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:37 am

Post by BlueBloodedToffee »

Four.

In post 0, eyestott wrote:2: If all of the games you have signed up for start now, how many games will you be in?

Seven.

In post 0, eyestott wrote:3: How many games do you think a normal player can handle ( this obviously depends on the size, so assume each game is arounf 13 players)?

I guess it depends on the player. How much effort they put into a game and their method of playing as well.

For me, it pretty much depends on alignment. As town, I'm an avid note-taker and so I don't particularly like being town in more than two games at once because it takes up a lot of time. As scum, I think I could quite easily cope with four games, I have had three at one point and that was no problem.

In post 0, eyestott wrote:4: How many games can you yourself handle?

Again, depends on alignment. I would say probably four, five is the absolute max. I realised I answered 'seven' if all the games I have signed up for start now. Two of those are opens so I don't expect them to start for a while, by which time, I should have one, maybe two, games finished at that point.

In post 0, eyestott wrote:5: Whats the largest amount of games you have been in?.

Five, I think. Two newbies, two micros and a mini-normal.
Meta this. Meta that. Meta Everything. Meta is not a good scum-hunting tool. PEOPLE CAN MANIPULATE THEIR META. Stop it. Stop. It. Now.
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:19 pm

Post by T S O »

12 was fucking crazy - I tried it once and I would never even contemplate it again.
"i have the sickest grossest feeling that even if it's my lynch today, my townflip still won't lead to a tso lynch, and then he'll find some bullshit way to reason either shooting or lynching gm tomorrow because if there's anyone who can strongarm a mislynch despite his reads or cases being proved wrong time and again it's tso"
-Marquis
Whatisswag
Whatisswag
Goon
Whatisswag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:52 am

Post by Whatisswag »

I am not the typical guy.
ZZZX
ZZZX
Survivor
ZZZX
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:09 am

Post by ZZZX »

In post 19, T S O wrote:3

12 was fucking crazy - I tried it once and I would never even contemplate it again.

i know the feels.... XD
Implosion: I see ZZZX was
redacted
. For shame, people. For shame.
The Bulge: ZZZX is ZZZX
Get to know a ZZZX: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=58733
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:09 am

Post by T S O »

Although, for me, the higher my games go, the more my play suffers. It's not so much "I don't have time for this, too many games" but a weird kind of apathy where you just can't get involved in certain games out of the 10-12 and begin to irrationally hate them.

PEdit: I feel you, ZZZX
"i have the sickest grossest feeling that even if it's my lynch today, my townflip still won't lead to a tso lynch, and then he'll find some bullshit way to reason either shooting or lynching gm tomorrow because if there's anyone who can strongarm a mislynch despite his reads or cases being proved wrong time and again it's tso"
-Marquis
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:11 am

Post by RedCoyote »

In post 11, kuribo wrote:

1: One.
2: One.
3: Three Minis and a Large.
4: It used to be about four, with a Large Theme and maybe two or three mini themes. For the last year or year and a half, I've been sticking to MAYBE two games at a time. Sometimes three if one is part of the Serene hydra. Then after I'm done with the games I'm in, I announce my retirement and stop playing for three months or so.
5: Christ, I don't know, probably four or five. I found it way too hard to yell at that many people.

Here's a question just for kuribo... how many times have you seen this thread (or variants thereof) over the years? :mrgreen:
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:36 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

In post 22, T S O wrote:Although, for me, the higher my games go, the more my play suffers. It's not so much "I don't have time for this, too many games" but a weird kind of apathy where you just can't get involved in certain games out of the 10-12 and begin to irrationally hate them.

I seem to have this happen when I've just playing one.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”