Learning from Hansel and Gretel (Should you breadcrumb?)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
eyestott
eyestott
Mafia Scum
eyestott
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Learning from Hansel and Gretel (Should you breadcrumb?)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:53 am

Post by eyestott »

What do you think of breadcrumbing? Is it useful? Does it lend more credibility to a claim? Is it indicative?
reinoe
reinoe
Mafia Scum
reinoe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:18 pm

Post by reinoe »

In post 0, eyestott wrote:What do you think of breadcrumbing? Is it useful? Does it lend more credibility to a claim? Is it indicative?

It lends credibility to a claim if done early but if you do it too late, you lose credibility and it hurts you. 9/10 nobody will find your breadcrumb and 50% of the time it is found it's by scum.
Scum typically need to fabricate reasons for scumreads...

Selkie
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:20 pm

Post by N »

The only thing worth crumbing is investigation results.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:06 pm

Post by Espeonage »

You should throw loaves at the appropriate time for your role.
Don't @ me.
Konowa
Konowa
Mafia Scum
Konowa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:20 pm

Post by Konowa »

In post 2, N wrote:The only thing worth crumbing is investigation results.

Or targets, if weak.
How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder,
without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better,
and not the world about them?
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:56 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 4, Konowa wrote:
In post 2, N wrote:The only thing worth crumbing is investigation results.

Or targets, if weak.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:56 pm

Post by BROseidon »

There isn't a large space where crumbing is correct over not doing anything or straight up claiming.
eyestott
eyestott
Mafia Scum
eyestott
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:38 pm

Post by eyestott »

What about revealing breadcrumbs during a roleclaim?
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:05 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 6, BROseidon wrote:There isn't a large space where crumbing is correct over not doing anything or straight up claiming.

Any useful results on a day you are not planning to full claim its almost essential. You don't really ever want scum to be able to cast doubt on results, or town to not know what you did. Would rather have a slightly higher chance of it being seen by scum and killed N2 than have N1 result go to waste because it wasn't communicated correctly.

eyestott wrote:What about revealing breadcrumbs during a roleclaim?

Ideally your breadcrumb should be small things that you adjusted for your play that make sense in light of your role claim instead of any specific comments. Like any more unusual assumptions, reads, etc. If you want to do something that is a direct crumb to your role fine, but that's easy to feign so don't expect it to be bought all that often.
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
Whatisswag
Whatisswag
Goon
Whatisswag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:31 am

Post by Whatisswag »

In post 0, eyestott wrote:What do you think of breadcrumbing? Is it useful? Does it lend more credibility to a claim? Is it indicative?

I only breadcrumb as scum and I dont do so as town, surprisingly
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:38 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

In post 7, eyestott wrote:What about revealing breadcrumbs during a roleclaim?

Please don't. While nobody picks up on it while the game is ongoing, it's also pointless bringing that type of shit up later, you'll only get stupids trusting you, and you don't want stupids.

Although i think Serene2's (fake) breadcrumb pick up in Graveyard shift is worth a mention as to how it should happen.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Shadowmod
Shadowmod
Goon
Shadowmod
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:21 am

Post by Shadowmod »

You can also shed super obvious crumbs around, that scum cannot possibly miss, as a VT or relatively weak PR (or, ideally, as a bomb) to distract them from any actual strong PRs in the game.
Modding History :Open 319: Jungle RepublicNewbie 1406: Krhyem on RhytehieaShadow's Delightfully Happy Newbie 1451 Mini 1635: Curse of the Werewolves
Current Games in Progress:
Mostly Flavoured Newbie 1692 NEWBIE 1693
Tag, Link and Length Restrictions on Signatures Are Annoying!
MrTrow
MrTrow
Goon
MrTrow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:25 am

Post by MrTrow »

Shadowmod wrote:You can also shed super obvious crumbs around, that scum cannot possibly miss, as a VT or relatively weak PR (or, ideally, as a bomb) to distract them from any actual strong PRs in the game.

and be counter-claimed by a fellow townie?
By the way, your mum says hello.
Shadowmod
Shadowmod
Goon
Shadowmod
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:40 am

Post by Shadowmod »

I did not say claim, I only said crumb. And ideally nothing that suggests a specific role, but rather the role name or whatever. The important point is to make it obvious that it is a crumb.
Modding History :Open 319: Jungle RepublicNewbie 1406: Krhyem on RhytehieaShadow's Delightfully Happy Newbie 1451 Mini 1635: Curse of the Werewolves
MrTrow
MrTrow
Goon
MrTrow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:09 am

Post by MrTrow »

Could you explain how crumbing a rolename doesn't reveal your actual role?
Obvious enough breadcrumbing to be sure scum picks this up is different to claiming, how exactly?
Probably the outcome would be the same, wouldn't you agree?

Crumbs intended to be found, would be found by town as well right?
Retaliation to crumbs proven false would be different from retaliation against claims proven false, how?
Ultimately i would lynch anyone with a doc-crumb if someone flipped doc
Maybe you wouldn't
But i think you would be in the minority in that case
By the way, your mum says hello.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:00 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 14, MrTrow wrote:Could you explain how crumbing a rolename doesn't reveal your actual role?

Crumbing 'Harry Potter' is far different than crumbing 'Cop'.
Unless rolenames are exactly parallel and highly predictable (mod-side) then this shouldn't be a problem.

See myself in Blackest Night Mafia. Crumbing role-name had no indication on role.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Shadowmod
Shadowmod
Goon
Shadowmod
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:16 pm

Post by Shadowmod »

Best example I can come up with right now: Look at how I managed to get myself N1 killed as VT in this game and you will understand.
And please spare me any comments on how it eventually turned out a bad idea because that town was too stupid to survive without me,
losing LyLo against scum who claimed miller only after having been investigated positive!
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:52 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 16, Shadowmod wrote:Best example I can come up with right now: Look at how I managed to get myself N1 killed as VT in this game and you will understand.
And please spare me any comments on how it eventually turned out a bad idea because that town was too stupid to survive without me,
losing LyLo against scum who claimed miller only after having been investigated positive!

If town OR good scum catch you doing this though you are probably going to get lynched. There have been times in games I have near lylo made notes on players along the lines of "If they claim VT they are town, if they claim a PR they are scum" and vice versa given how strong they lined up for a claim one way or another.

You are basically fake claiming if you are taking strong steps to crumbing something you are not, and you have to be willing to reap the consequences for it if you get called out by someone who saw it.
Co-host of The USL Show
Shadowmod
Shadowmod
Goon
Shadowmod
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:31 pm

Post by Shadowmod »

??!!!
??!!!

??
I have no idea what you are even referring to, Llama, are you?
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:15 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

If you are posting like you are a PR, and you don't get NKed for it, there is a good chance you will get lynched for it if someone decides to call you on it. If you think a player is probably a cop when you are playing town, and then late in the game during massclaim they claim VT, its fairly natural to call that a scumtell from them.

If you act like PR, be prepared to get nailed for it as VT as eventually you are going to make it late for whatever reason, and with a VT claim someone will go "then what was all of this posting" and are saying "I was trying to draw the NK" really doesn't look like a good response because that's an easy fallback for scum who had a claim lined up and decided to not use it.
Co-host of The USL Show
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:24 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 8, LlamaFluff wrote:Any useful results on a day you are not planning to full claim its almost essential. You don't really ever want scum to be able to cast doubt on results, or town to not know what you did. Would rather have a slightly higher chance of it being seen by scum and killed N2 than have N1 result go to waste because it wasn't communicated correctly.

Investigative innos (like, straight-up cop or hider, not tracker) is the only time to do it.

If you have a guilty, just take the 1-1 trade.
Shadowmod
Shadowmod
Goon
Shadowmod
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:57 am

Post by Shadowmod »

In post 19, LlamaFluff wrote:If you are posting like you are a PR, and you don't get NKed for it, there is a good chance you will get lynched for it if someone decides to call you on it. If you think a player is probably a cop when you are playing town, and then late in the game during massclaim they claim VT, its fairly natural to call that a scumtell from them.

If you act like PR, be prepared to get nailed for it as VT as eventually you are going to make it late for whatever reason, and with a VT claim someone will go "then what was all of this posting" and are saying "I was trying to draw the NK" really doesn't look like a good response because that's an easy fallback for scum who had a claim lined up and decided to not use it.

Depends... If that late in the game a certain claim not matching your expectations is all you have to go after, town is in trouble anyway. And "I was crumbing my role name, so I could later plausibly claim that I did not just make it up" is always a perfectly reasonable explanation, even for a VT. Granted, scum can use the same reasoning, especially when role names are essentially meaningless, but then we are back to actions are not scummy, motivations are etc...
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:02 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 15, Andrius wrote:See myself in Blackest Night Mafia. Crumbing role-name had no indication on role.

Yeah, but it also doesn't indicate alignment. Safeclaims exist in all games, so it's like, not really useful? (In terms of having your alignment figured out). People might have a tendency to enjoy pretending to be actual characters rather than their safeclaims though, not sure how true that is, just something I noticed on another site for a while.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:12 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

breadcrumbing made sense back in the day, but I've never seen it not be easily fakeable since like 2007

like, what the fuck does it actually prove other than you thinking you might have to claim at some point
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:17 pm

Post by pirate mollie »

In post 3, Espeonage wrote:You should throw loaves at the appropriate time for your role.

fuck that you sometimes need to open bakeries in order for some people to get it.

In post 20, BROseidon wrote:
In post 8, LlamaFluff wrote:Any useful results on a day you are not planning to full claim its almost essential. You don't really ever want scum to be able to cast doubt on results, or town to not know what you did. Would rather have a slightly higher chance of it being seen by scum and killed N2 than have N1 result go to waste because it wasn't communicated correctly.

Investigative innos (like, straight-up cop or hider, not tracker) is the only time to do it.

If you have a guilty, just take the 1-1 trade.

amen brother bro!
whew!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”