Rolecop Results

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Phoenicks
Phoenicks
Goon
Phoenicks
Goon
Goon

Rolecop Results

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:20 pm

Post by Phoenicks »

Posed by a friend:
"Can a naive cop be identified by a mafia rolecop?"

I said this was a modifier, and probably wouldn't be picked up by a rolecop. If a Naive Cop doesn't know he's Naive, why would a Rolecop? Then again, would a Rolecop know the difference between a Macho Cop and a Regular Cop? So I looked up the definition of Rolecop on the wiki and got a contradicting answer:

The [url=http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Cop]Mafiascum Cop Page[/url] wrote:A Role Cop investigates roles to determine
their role title as it would appear in their flip
(e.g. Cop, Doctor, Role Cop, Vanilla). It does not discern alignment;
both Vanilla Townies and Mafia Goons investigate as "Vanilla".

The first rule is excepted by the second; if Rolecop can't tell Vanilla Town from Vanilla Scum, why would it know Naive Cop from Sane Cop?

The [url=http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Role_Cop]Mafiascum Rolecop Page[/url] wrote:
In some role madness games
or in games with multiple scum groups, the condition that Role Cop does not learn its target's alignment is not applied.
Role Cops will learn the full role name of their targets.
In particularly extreme cases this has been extended to the Role Cop receiving the entire Role PM of its target (with names and chat topic links deleted, of course).

Put another way: Rolecop learning details is not Normal. This definition does not suggest that Rolecop learns a role titles "as it [sic] would appear in their flip".

What do you guys think?
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:28 pm

Post by chamber »

I would resolve it as the rolecop learning as much as the player knows about their own role, but nothing about their alignment. The player doesn't know they are naive so neither would the role cop.
Taking a break from the site.
reinoe
reinoe
Mafia Scum
reinoe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:33 pm

Post by reinoe »

How would a vanilla traitor show up to a rolecop? "Traitor"? What about an investigation immune Godfather?
Scum typically need to fabricate reasons for scumreads...

Selkie
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:36 pm

Post by chamber »

The first is a good question that I have no standard answer to. If you are going to mod a game with a vanilla traitor and a rolecop, at least know how you intend to resolve it before game start.

'investigation immune godfather' is a very poor definition. Most precise definitions of that role say that they return the result a vanilla townie would, so I would say vanilla.
Taking a break from the site.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:42 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 1, chamber wrote:I would resolve it as the rolecop learning as much as the player knows about their own role, but nothing about their alignment. The player doesn't know they are naive so neither would the role cop.

This. To me a rolecop should investigate a player exactly what their role is, minus alignment.

Vanilla Town is Vanilla
Cop is Cop (regardless of what hidden mechanics exist)
Naïve Cop is Naïve Cop (assuming the role PM says "Naïve Cop")
Mafia Traitor is Traitor (since Traitor is modifying the alignment "mafia")
Mafia Godfather could be an exception if the role specifically says that it would investigate as Vanilla Town, then it would be Vanilla
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
reinoe
reinoe
Mafia Scum
reinoe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:34 pm

Post by reinoe »

In post 4, LlamaFluff wrote:
In post 1, chamber wrote:I would resolve it as the rolecop learning as much as the player knows about their own role, but nothing about their alignment. The player doesn't know they are naive so neither would the role cop.

This. To me a rolecop should investigate a player exactly what their role is, minus alignment.

Vanilla Town is Vanilla
Mafia Godfather could be an exception if the role specifically says that it would investigate as Vanilla Town, then it would be Vanilla

Oh snap!!!

Scum typically need to fabricate reasons for scumreads...

Selkie
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:59 pm

Post by PokerFace »

When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:04 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

Your second option is a variation as the wiki page says. The default rolecop is as per the Cop page.

I guess the confusion can lie if you reveal a cop sanity on death though.

I think they would learn that someone is a Macho cop, but then you can probably just exclude all modifiers and just look at the power a player has.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/they

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:05 am

Post by Fenchurch »

In post 4, LlamaFluff wrote:Naïve Cop is Naïve Cop (assuming the role PM says "Naïve Cop")

Has there ever actually been a Naïve Cop where the role PM said Naïve Cop?
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:48 am

Post by Faraday »

I've told a paranoid day cop they were paranoid before, so maybe!
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:59 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

It really depends on the game

you could design a setup around hidden modifiers and a cop that can see them

hmmmmmmm
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:01 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

in general though, a rolecop should get just as much or slightly less information than the player they investigate.

I've done

a. send the cop the Role Name of the player (as in, Faraday is a Shift Manipulator) with no further information given
b. send the cop the role pm of the player with alignment information removed
c. send the cop a list of abilities the player has (although that could more rightly be called an ability cop?)

Each of those options has their merits. A neuters the rolecop a bit in a mechanic/role heavy setup especially where you've invented roles. B is great for role madness games (I used it in Comparative Religion, I think) where players have a shitton of abilities. That was specifically used because players could steal abilities from and grant abilities to other players so I wanted to reflect that in the role cop. C is inelegant but oldskool.
Shadowmod
Shadowmod
Goon
Shadowmod
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:18 am

Post by Shadowmod »

Rolecop gets exactly those results that the mod running the respective game considers making the most sense in the context of the setup in question...

As a guideline I'd say, if a player is an insane (or naïve/paranoid) cop they only get a standard cop PM, maybe with a hint in the flavour that sanity is not guaranteed (depending on the mod and kind and bastardness of the game, I guess), hence a role cop will just learn that said player is a cop.
Modifiers like macho or weak, on the other hand, are usually not hidden and a role cop should learn about them, too, unless specified otherwise.
This is assuming that the game is complying to normalcy guidelines, of course, or at least sticking to simple, standard roles.

If the game uses roles that are not standardized or commonly known, a role cop may in fact be just a flavour cop, if all they get is a role name, or more like an ability cop, if they learn about their targets' actual capabilities...
Modding History :Open 319: Jungle RepublicNewbie 1406: Krhyem on RhytehieaShadow's Delightfully Happy Newbie 1451 Mini 1635: Curse of the Werewolves
Current Games in Progress:
Mostly Flavoured Newbie 1692 NEWBIE 1693
Tag, Link and Length Restrictions on Signatures Are Annoying!
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:27 am

Post by Vi »

In post 8, Fenchurch wrote:
In post 4, LlamaFluff wrote:Naïve Cop is Naïve Cop (assuming the role PM says "Naïve Cop")
I've always wanted to give someone a Role PM telling them they're a Naïve Cop
(mod note: actually a Sane Cop)
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Phoenicks
Phoenicks
Goon
Phoenicks
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:56 am

Post by Phoenicks »

In post 4, LlamaFluff wrote:

Vanilla Town is Vanilla

These answers make sense to me intuitively, but they lead to some odd combinations. For instance, if the Traitor is the last scum standing, he normally ascends and becomes a Mafia Goon. This means that he would go from "Traitor" to "Vanilla". But a normal Cop inspecting the same player would normally get "Town" on the Traitor and "Mafia" on the ascended Good traitor. (What a weird role.)

Godfather as an exception makes sense, but then to be consistent Millers would investigate as "Vanilla". Telling a rolecop that the Godfather is Vanilla sounds fine (Godfather is supposed to pass inspections), but telling him that a Miller is vanilla seems bastard. I would prefer Rolecop getting Vanilla on one and Miller on the other, but that sounds pretty inconsistent to me.

For what it's worth, I just remembered an offsite game I modded with cop sanities and rolecops. I did not tell rolecops which sanity of cop they inspected, because the cops themselves did not know.

In post 7, Cheery Dog wrote:Your second option is a variation as the wiki page says. The default rolecop is as per the Cop page.

Right. So if Rolecop getting all details is explicitly not Normal, what is Normal?

In post 12, Shadowmod wrote:
As a guideline I'd say,
if a player is an insane (or naïve/paranoid) cop they only get a standard cop PM, maybe with a hint in the flavour that sanity is not guaranteed
(depending on the mod and kind and bastardness of the game, I guess), hence a role cop will just learn that said player is a cop.
Modifiers like macho or weak, on the other hand, are usually not hidden and a role cop should learn about them, too, unless specified otherwise.
This is assuming that the game is complying to normalcy guidelines, of course, or at least sticking to simple, standard roles.

If the game uses roles that are not standardized or commonly known, a role cop may in fact be just a flavour cop, if all they get is a role name, or more like an ability cop, if they learn about their targets' actual capabilities...

I think this is the winning answer. If the cop doesn't know what sanity they are, but knows there are sanities, then the rolecop learns that they checked a cop but not of what sanity.

(Though this leads to another odd exception: the Rolecop could claim "I know that there are cop sanities," which would be proof enough for any cop informed there were sanities. This is slightly easier than proving the Rolecop by outing someone's role.)
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:58 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 14, Phoenicks wrote:For instance, if the Traitor is the last scum standing, he normally ascends and becomes a Mafia Goon. This means that he would go from "Traitor" to "Vanilla". But a normal Cop inspecting the same player would normally get "Town" on the Traitor and "Mafia" on the ascended Good traitor. (What a weird role.)

Eh, this is hardly normal/the most common for traitor. (It's maybe not uncommon either, but it's not more common than "scum faction loses", traitors recruited in that way are kinda weird though, agreed.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:24 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

In post 14, Phoenicks wrote:Right. So if Rolecop getting all details is explicitly not Normal, what is Normal?

Role Cop Wiki Page wrote:A Role Cop is an investigative role that receives the role name of its target. In Normal games, this is "Cop", "Doctor", "Roleblocker, and so forth. There is no indication of the target's alignment; if a Mafia Goon is investigated, they return "Vanilla".

This version of the role, and only this version of the role, is considered Normal on mafiascum.net.

The wiki page already answered the question?
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Phoenicks
Phoenicks
Goon
Phoenicks
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:56 pm

Post by Phoenicks »

Where does it say anything about modifiers like "Weak" or 'Naive"?
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:56 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

That's where the above in this thread comes about.

If you're just wanting normal, you don't have to worry about any of the mod noted stuff, because roles with mod notes aren't normal.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:15 pm

Post by kuribo »

In post 13, Vi wrote:

You are a naive cop. (Mod note: is also a Lazy Cop)
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:08 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

I've generally had mafia rolecops but if I used town ones too they probably wouldn't work the same way that the scum rolecop does.

The way I've resolved with mafia rolecops is either rolename or getting the role pm that was sent to the player they investigate. If the player doesn't know about their modifier then it wouldn't be known to the rolecop either. If they did have knowledge of their modifier, then that would come up if the version I was using got the role pm.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:00 am

Post by Majiffy »

In post 19, kuribo wrote:
In post 13, Vi wrote:

You are a naive cop. (Mod note: is also a Lazy Cop)

You are a
Lazy Cop.
Each night, you can attempt to motivate yourself to check someone's alignment. But probably you'll just sit on the couch and keep watching Netflix.

You win when no threats exist to the town.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:46 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

Role cop should get the role title as it will flip. If there are secret modifiers, then you are running a bastard game anyways so do whatever you want.

A miller's role title is miller. It will investigate as miller. Godfather protects against COPS not rolecops, at least in normals. I'd say a standard godfather would investigate as godfather. If you are moding a theme, you could make one that's immune to rolecops but that sounds like risky/bad game design.

Traitor will investigate as traitor. That is their role. They don't "become" a goon at any point. They may join the main team but their role title should be immutable.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:22 pm

Post by quadz08 »

In post 22, AngryPidgeon wrote:If there are secret modifiers, then you are running a bastard game anyways so do whatever you want.

Do you consider cop sanities to be bastard?
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:59 pm

Post by FakeGod »

It is bastard, right?
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”