Connotations and Mafia

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Connotations and Mafia

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:36 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

Do the words we use to describe different mafia roles affect how we play the game?

I'm thinking back to the Rebels in the Palace game Pokerface hosted a few months ago. I /inned for the game not exactly understanding the mechanics and what roles were equivalent to what in a typical game of mafia. In the initial setup spec, the wincons of each role was expressed in a mathemical (and connotationally "neutral") manner. This was really important to describing the guard role. The word "guard" in itself doesn't have the same negative associations that words like "mafia" and "scum" do. As a result, I went into the game with more confidence in my play than when I flip a role like "mafia." It wasn't until late in the game when the word "scum" was being used as a label that I started to slink back into my more passive scum game.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:05 pm

Post by Psyche »

I really like to play the role of the evil mastermind. Along with the deception and the conniving against others, I also take satisfaction in thinking of myself as a force for evil. I like being able to laugh deeply and heartily in the way those achieving selfish ends stereotypically do. There's something in the utterly egoistic commitment to self-advancement — in consciously violating values I recognize as right for my own sake — that just feels really addictive. Like how I bet cocaine feels like. Along with that euphoria, there's also this other feeling of fulfillment. In the same way that giving yourself to a cause bigger and more important than yourself is supposed to make life feel meaningful, something similar goes on when I elevate myself and my desires over everything else going on in the universe. A feeling of total humanness and confidence accompanies what I'm doing that's really tough to top. As a functioning member of society, I avoid doing that in favor of behaviors less harmful to those I care about, but in mafia — and specifically as the bas guy — I get to experience all of that vicariously, almost harmlessly. And I really value that when it happens.

Basically, the words you use to describe my role impact the sort and intensity of engagement with which I play that role. I think.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:29 pm

Post by Majiffy »

I now have a humorous mental image of Psyche cackling and tapping his fingers together every time he receives a scum role PM.

So kinda like Mr. Burns from Simpsons.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:49 pm

Post by Psyche »

I was going for something a little more impotent and restrained.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:16 pm

Post by Majiffy »

Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
reinoe
reinoe
Mafia Scum
reinoe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:12 pm

Post by reinoe »

Scum typically need to fabricate reasons for scumreads...

Selkie

Return to “Mafia Discussion”