Role Madness. Is this balanced?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
mark640
mark640
Watcher
mark640
Watcher
Watcher

Role Madness. Is this balanced?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:39 am

Post by mark640 »

Okay, so I saw somebody create a game and
I was wondering what you guys thought about the balance.
Preferably, I'd like a response from a moderator who knows about how to balance well.
It was a rolemadness game and the players were informed that it was a role madness game in the sign up thread and that it was a closed system.
3 mafia. 8 town. 11 players in total.

Mafia:

1) Godfather
2) Roleblocker [active] - blocks most night phase actions (excluding bulletproof and commuter).
3) Role Cop [active] (just role name- I.E: Vigilante) - unlimited use, once per night phase on one target.
-> They were allowed to use 1 kill every night phase (Godfather had the final say).

Town:

1) Bulletproof [passive] - immune to all night phase kill abilities.
2) Commuter [active] - immune to all night phase abilities.
3) Doctor [active] - can self protect.
4) Vigilante [active] -
(1 shot)
- unlimited use, optional to use though.
5) Cop [active] (night phase) [unlimited use, every night phase] - investigate alignment is PM'ed to the individual.
6) Double Vote [passive] - Vote counts as 2.
7)
Tracker
Busdriver [active] - Switch two players. Any thing that tagets player A will be sent to player B & vice versa
8)
Watcher
Innocent child [passive] - mod-confirmed as Town-aligned at the start of the game.

Edit (12th Jan 2015 - 03:08 GMT+0):
Strikethough
a couple of things, as those things weren't true. It's even more OP now IMO lol.

Night Phase ability priority order:

Commuter > Bulletproof > Roleblocker > Bus Driver > Doctor > Night Kill > Role Cop/Sane Cop
Last edited by mark640 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 14 times in total.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:00 am

Post by quadz08 »

This game is broken by massclaim D1. Going the slowest possible method: You'll have 6 people in your lynchpool. Lynch one of them D1 and assume you hit town. RB will block the vig, doctor will be shot in ideal play, so you go into D2 at 11 alive, 3 mafia. If you lynched town yesterday, lynch the claimed counterpart - guaranteed scum lynch. D3 - 9 alive, 2 scum. Lynch town again. D4 - 7 alive, 2 scum. Lynch the counterpart, hit scum. D5 - 5 alive, 1 scum. Lynch from the last pair. Hit town. D6 - 3 alive, 1 scum. Guaranteed scum lynch.

That's assuming town figures out to massclaim, of course, but it's also assuming you hit town first every time, scum makes optimal night actions N1, and town doesn't get lucky with other night actions (scum never hits BP or commuter, tracker never tracks the kill, etc).
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
mark640
mark640
Watcher
mark640
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:20 am

Post by mark640 »

^ Adding on, if the doctor protects themselves (which is allowed), the mafia night kill will fail, if they go for the doctor first. Mafia would probably think doc can't use self protect. But if they did think they could use self protect, then they'd have to roleblock the doc and kill the vig on day 1 (being the most ideal move).

So if you had to rate from a scale form 1 to 10, how unbalanced do you think the game is?
10 = Very unbalanced in town favour. 1 = Very unbalanced in mafia's favour.

Oh and what do you think of the roles?
Are mafia roles balanced? If not, what do you think is unbalanced/what would you have changed?
Are town roles balanced? If not, what do you think is unbalanced/what would you have changed?
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:13 am

Post by quadz08 »

it's literally a broken setup - scum should have no way to win this game unless town is pants-on-head.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:13 pm

Post by kuribo »

In post 2, mark640 wrote:Adding on, if the doctor protects themselves (which is allowed),

I have only ever seen exactly one game where a doctor could doc himself.

He was a scum JOAT and he won the game as a direct result of self-doc'ing. He claimed bulletproof and begged the vig to take a shot at him. Vig shot him, he survived, and used it to coast to endgame.

Oh, and he was me.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew

Return to “Mafia Discussion”