Players replacing into slots of specific alignments

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Players replacing into slots of specific alignments

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:03 pm

Post by F-16_Fighting_Falcon »

In post 0, Zaicon wrote:
PSAThis is a public service announcement from your friendly listmods that replacements from the same game should be replaced in the order in which they were replaced out (whether from request or forced replacement). Furthermore, players do not get a choice in who they replace if there is more than one option, and they absolutely may never be told the alignment or other role information of a player before replacing in.

Thank you all.

As with most rules, this may be overridden by a specific theme game rule, but this may not be done retroactively, and exceptions do not apply to Normal or Open games.

So, we have this rule stating that players can't choose a slot to replace into if there's more than one available. I'm reasonably sure that it only means "available at the same time." Meaning if a player wants to find a town slot to replace into and there's a slot open and that player is reading that slot as scum, it seems perfectly fine to decline to replace in (especially if you had /in'd as a replacement or that player is in a replacement queue), and later choose to replace in when this slot is filled and another opens up and the player is reading THAT slot as town.

Unless I'm misinterpreting this rule (and I don't think I am), it only applies to slots open at the same time. Some mods (I won't name names obviously) seem to think that the rule is an all-encompassing rule which requires players in a replacement queue to either take the slot or be barred from playing in the game entirely. I think this is acceptable as a mod discretionary method but I feel like some mods are doing it because they believe they are following the quoted rule above as opposed to exercising their discretion - which is mildly annoying: I don't think that's what the rule intends to say. And I'm perfectly sure that replacing into slots that you are reading as specific alignments is fine as long as it is based on your own reads (and not some sort of conditional replacement where you ask the mod the slot's alignment and then choose which I completely agree should never happen).
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:11 pm

Post by DeasVail »

My interpretation (and the procedure I would follow as a mod) is that it does only apply to slots available at the same time (especially since often when players /in to replace there are times that are more convenient than others to replace given differing RL schedules), but recently I've modded much less than I used to so I could easily be wrong.
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:46 pm

Post by N »

I think any mod that refuses a replacement offer purely because they asked that person earlier and they said no is shooting themselves in the foot.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:05 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

If I look over a game without being on the replacement list and privately decline the slot to myself, how should that be different if I've publicly revealed I may be wanting to replace into a certain game? It shouldn't as I can do both from both places.

Mods that don't actually give a replacement list player a chance to decline are worse.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:16 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 2, N wrote:I think any mod that refuses a replacement offer purely because they asked that person earlier and they said no is shooting themselves in the foot.

Yep.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:53 am

Post by Cephrir »

In post 3, Cheery Dog wrote:If I look over a game without being on the replacement list and privately decline the slot to myself, how should that be different if I've publicly revealed I may be wanting to replace into a certain game? It shouldn't as I can do both from both places.

Mods that don't actually give a replacement list player a chance to decline are worse.

People do this???
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:27 pm

Post by kuribo »

There are definitely certain players that I've vowed in my head to never, ever, ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever replace again, and if you don't want me in your game because that person flaked, then I'd rather not play at all than replace that player.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:59 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

Hmm. What about intentionally replacing in at L-1: not aiming for a particular alignment, but a particular town attitude. (That way, if you get lynched anyway, you haven't lost much, and if you don't, you may end up being a major part in a town/scum victory.) That would seem to be disallowed by the replacement rule too.

Of course, it's an incredibly bad idea for a replacement to be based on anything other than public information; otherwise spoilers are indirectly getting into the game.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town

Return to “Mafia Discussion”