How does one be a more enjoyable Mafia player?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Aeronaut
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:17 am

Post by Aeronaut »

In post 24, kuribo wrote:
In post 5, Majiffy wrote:
In post 0, Aeronaut wrote:
Basically, I'd like to make games I'm in more enjoyable for the other players in the game, but not be a total dickwad. Is this actually possible?

Play more like me! :]

wouldn't that mean "not playing at all?"

2023 W/L | 1-0
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:22 am

Post by T S O »

I looked at that animation for longer than I'd like to admit.
"i have the sickest grossest feeling that even if it's my lynch today, my townflip still won't lead to a tso lynch, and then he'll find some bullshit way to reason either shooting or lynching gm tomorrow because if there's anyone who can strongarm a mislynch despite his reads or cases being proved wrong time and again it's tso"
-Marquis
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:25 am

Post by quadz08 »

that is an excellent animation
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
SilverWolf
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:40 am

Post by SilverWolf »

In post 0, Aeronaut wrote:I know the game can't always be fun or enjoyable, and neither can any single player, but I feel like I always end up being cold and calculated in my games. I recently tried a more lax approach to my game, which almost immediately backfired and got me turbolynched.

Basically, I'd like to make games I'm in more enjoyable for the other players in the game, but not be a total dickwad. Is this actually possible?

Oh god I just reread the game I linked and I was god-awful.

I need help

You got vigged in that game due to set-up, not your personality. :wink:
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
Aeronaut
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:48 am

Post by Aeronaut »

Oh gosh, buy a me a drink first
2023 W/L | 1-0
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:52 am

Post by T S O »

Aeronaut, seriously, you are very solidly likeable in this thread. Cracking shit jokes is very endearing personally.
"i have the sickest grossest feeling that even if it's my lynch today, my townflip still won't lead to a tso lynch, and then he'll find some bullshit way to reason either shooting or lynching gm tomorrow because if there's anyone who can strongarm a mislynch despite his reads or cases being proved wrong time and again it's tso"
-Marquis
Aeronaut
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:21 pm

Post by Aeronaut »

<3

I just have trouble doing it in-game.
2023 W/L | 1-0
SilverWolf
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:32 pm

Post by SilverWolf »

Aero, I don't know what you are talking about. You are very enjoyable to play with.

Seriously, and you have a good sense of humor as evidenced by your comments in this thread.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:42 pm

Post by kuribo »

hydra with me and i will teach you to murder

except they started me on antidepressants today so i don't really know how that's gonna affect my mafia gameplay or lack thereof
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:50 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 17, mastin2 wrote:Espeonage's advise is all good.

When I play, how I play is largely dependent on the playerlist. I generally play in the matter that I find most natural given who I am with. Generally, with strangers, that results in some more formal playing, and with a playerlist filled to the brim with people I know, a far more relaxed approach, but overall, the thing that I generally do to be a more enjoyable mafia player is to just have fun, to not take things too seriously. I'll crack jokes, I'll do witty banter, I'll just be personable, opening up to the other players and also being open to them. I'll let them know what's going on in my mind, and try to know what's going on in theirs. That little bit of empathy can take you a long way.

It's also good for both scumhunting and manipulating as scum. Scumhunting, because it allows you to both see their alignment better and be more persuasive; manipulative as scum, because it allows you to smoothtalk them better. But I always try to keep things light and casual. I'm not afraid to hunker down and go serious, though, meaning that in a way, I can help bridge the mafia worlds between players who're super-serious and players who're super-casual, in that I can address both halves when I choose to.

Basically, the more relatable you are to them, the more enjoyable you are to them. And I find it's a two-way street; the more enjoyable you are to them, the more fun you yourself can have in a game, which with luck builds a self-feeding loop of fun: you have fun, causing people to like you, causing you to have more fun. Get that process rolling and give it some time to build (as said, it's not an overnight success; it's taken me years to build mine and it's still not even close to perfect), and you'll be much better off.

Make your posts shorter than this

(jk mastin I <3 you)
TheWayItEnds
TheWayItEnds
Jack of All Trades
TheWayItEnds
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:09 pm

Post by TheWayItEnds »

All the advice in this thread is awful.

Mafia is a very serious game and you should always play it very seriously.

Cracking jokes instead of scumhunting is like the #1 worst thing you can do.
As the last rays of sunlight fade, one killer chases another through the tangled madness of the city.
A flash of steel announces the presence of his quarry.
The stage is set.
The night explodes.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:18 pm

Post by Espeonage »

In post 35, TheWayItEnds wrote:All the advice in this thread is awful.

Trying to hard, obv scum.
Don't @ me.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:52 pm

Post by kuribo »

Like, you're seriously gonna push this argument here? Okay, nancy, let's see how far that gets you. You keep right on being serious, and I'll post whatever the hell I like. Just know this--- I can and will make you wish Lord Satan had never fallen from heaven. Mock me if you dare, but my vengeance will manifest itself in a human form and overcome me. It will eat and devour my own hatred for you until it produces blackened feces of misery and suffering. After that, it'll eat those too, twisting and transforming within me to something new, something unspeakable. In my new form, your terror will be so stark that you'll be incapable of fear. My gaping maw will show rows upon rows of glistening, razor-sharp teeth. Rather than kill you, I will place you on my shoulder so that you may bear witness to what you have wrought. Growing ever larger, my new body will consume the earth around you. Consume streets... neighborhoods... cities... entire nations. Eternally hungry, it will surge and throb with the anger and fury I feel for your post. The planet itself will become emptiness as I begin to consume the galaxy, the universe. Not content to desecrate the whole of existence, I will then transport the two of us backward in time, so that you can see the unmaking of existence. I will seek out whatever god or natural phenomenon gave birth to the universe, and I will devour it whole. Only then, after all has become nothing--- after I have used my anger toward you to destroy everything that is, was, or ever would be--- would I tear and rend your flesh, allowing you to die within me as the root cause for the end of everything.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:54 pm

Post by kuribo »

sorry, that was a typo. i meant to say "i don't agree with you at all."

the keys are like right next to each other

Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:00 pm

Post by Majiffy »

FITE ME, KURIBO

Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:36 pm

Post by kuribo »

In post 39, Majiffy wrote:

FITE ME, KURIBO

can't, i'm retired which means i play about as much as you do

Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:17 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

In post 37, kuribo wrote:

Like, you're seriously gonna push this argument here? Okay, nancy, let's see how far that gets you. You keep right on being serious, and I'll post whatever the hell I like. Just know this--- I can and will make you wish Lord Satan had never fallen from heaven. Mock me if you dare, but my vengeance will manifest itself in a human form and overcome me. It will eat and devour my own hatred for you until it produces blackened feces of misery and suffering. After that, it'll eat those too, twisting and transforming within me to something new, something unspeakable. In my new form, your terror will be so stark that you'll be incapable of fear. My gaping maw will show rows upon rows of glistening, razor-sharp teeth. Rather than kill you, I will place you on my shoulder so that you may bear witness to what you have wrought. Growing ever larger, my new body will consume the earth around you. Consume streets... neighborhoods... cities... entire nations. Eternally hungry, it will surge and throb with the anger and fury I feel for your post. The planet itself will become emptiness as I begin to consume the galaxy, the universe. Not content to desecrate the whole of existence, I will then transport the two of us backward in time, so that you can see the unmaking of existence. I will seek out whatever god or natural phenomenon gave birth to the universe, and I will devour it whole. Only then, after all has become nothing--- after I have used my anger toward you to destroy everything that is, was, or ever would be--- would I tear and rend your flesh, allowing you to die within me as the root cause for the end of everything.

+2

Because +1 isn't enough for this post.
TheWayItEnds
TheWayItEnds
Jack of All Trades
TheWayItEnds
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:04 pm

Post by TheWayItEnds »

In post 37, kuribo wrote:

I'd fight you on this but all you drop is a cube of meat.
As the last rays of sunlight fade, one killer chases another through the tangled madness of the city.
A flash of steel announces the presence of his quarry.
The stage is set.
The night explodes.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:56 pm

Post by Majiffy »

In post 40, kuribo wrote:
In post 39, Majiffy wrote:

FITE ME, KURIBO

can't, i'm retired which means i play about as much as you do

That gif is suddenly more accurate than ever.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:32 pm

Post by Espeonage »

When's the engagement?
Don't @ me.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:01 am

Post by Psyche »

Don't get worked up. It's a fucking game.
Care about how other people feel. It's a fucking game.
It's a fucking game.
Unless something is wrong with you, playing to have a good time with other, similarly interested people. Not so you can relentlessly dominate them or achieve a flawless victory. That's not really that fun, and it's self-defeating.

tl;dr:
Take a step back with every post and remind yourself why you signed up for this instead of doing something worthwhile with the little time you have to be alive.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:04 am

Post by Psyche »

This is hopefully a joke post.
But it's an example of how games like these warp actual human lives.
It's sort of sad!
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:17 am

Post by T S O »

it's pretty blatantly a joke post you moron
-Marquis
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:18 am

Post by Psyche »