Proposal: Ban fake hammers in newbie games

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:21 pm

Post by Cabd »

The type of fakehammer I endorse is when you're already on the wagon and revote it when people forget you're there.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
Egg
Egg
Jack of All Trades
Egg
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:05 pm

Post by Egg »

Vote Cabd

Hammer
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:47 pm

Post by Muffin »

Are there any statistics or anecdotes as to the prevalence of this? Is there an epidemic of fake hammers spoiling newbie games?
One's self-meta cannot be known without invalidating it.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:15 pm

Post by Psyche »

the whom is sacred, pf
ZZZX
ZZZX
Survivor
ZZZX
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:34 am

Post by ZZZX »

In post 50, Cabd wrote:The type of fakehammer I endorse is when you're already on the wagon and revote it when people forget you're there.

It is legit. One of the gqme wining moves infact
Implosion: I see ZZZX was
redacted
. For shame, people. For shame.
The Bulge: ZZZX is ZZZX
Get to know a ZZZX: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=58733
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:00 am

Post by Herodotus »

Now that this game is over, let me point out that it's easy to make a mistake when counting whether a hammer has happened. First Albert thought he self-hammered, and another player believed him. Then I voted him thinking I was putting him at L-1. In fact, my vote was the hammer. Between us we missed a moved vote and a daykill that changed the number to lynch.

You shouldn't try to make it illegal for the players to make a counting error, and you shouldn't try to make it illegal for players to inform others of the vote count. So sometimes players will tell others they are lynched when they are not. And if it can happen accidentally, it's best to allow it intentionally.

In post 43, T-Bone wrote:I skimmed through the thread....it looked like in the game in question the Mod had very specific voting rules, which allowed someone to cast an illegal vote? Then that's a failure of the Mod for creating a situation where illegal votes can happen. Not to argue semantics, but I don't know any Mods who wouldn't count the vote that happened in that game as a legal vote now. Thus, this really isn't something that can be policed on a site-wide level, it's down to the Mod to not be so crazy specific with voting rules AND down to the players not to make assumptions without the Mod to confirm.

That was the game that made mods adjust their rule sets.
Just because a majority of a group of people decide it's okay doesn't mean it's not murder. - Cobblerfone
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:02 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 55, Herodotus wrote:Now that this game is over, let me point out that it's easy to make a mistake when counting whether a hammer has happened. First Albert thought he self-hammered, and another player believed him. Then I voted him thinking I was putting him at L-1. In fact, my vote was the hammer. Between us we missed a moved vote and a daykill that changed the number to lynch.

You shouldn't try to make it illegal for the players to make a counting error, and you shouldn't try to make it illegal for players to inform others of the vote count. So sometimes players will tell others they are lynched when they are not. And if it can happen accidentally, it's best to allow it intentionally.

In post 43, T-Bone wrote:I skimmed through the thread....it looked like in the game in question the Mod had very specific voting rules, which allowed someone to cast an illegal vote? Then that's a failure of the Mod for creating a situation where illegal votes can happen. Not to argue semantics, but I don't know any Mods who wouldn't count the vote that happened in that game as a legal vote now. Thus, this really isn't something that can be policed on a site-wide level, it's down to the Mod to not be so crazy specific with voting rules AND down to the players not to make assumptions without the Mod to confirm.

That was the game that made mods adjust their rule sets.

There's nothing wrong with any of that.

What we really should ban is intentional fake voting or any attempt to do so. (Leading a player to believe your vote is valid but then attempting to gain an advantage on the premise that it's not legally formatted or posted with a legal account.)

I doubt anyone would ever try to intentionally fake vote by voting with an alt account, but I'd just prefer to ban it before that one person thinks they're so clever.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”