Please stop being a smart-aleck

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:53 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 23, Mina wrote:I can't tell who's ironically being snide and who's actually a dick.

Just as god intended
green shirt thursdays
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:55 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

In post 25, xRECKONERx wrote:Just as god intended

said the [removed]
To be clear: quack
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:35 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

Wishing for a friendly conversation in a heated discussion filled with paranoia is wishing for an utopia imo
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:45 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 27, GuyInFreezer wrote:Wishing for a friendly conversation in a heated discussion filled with paranoia is wishing for an utopia imo

This.

There are times in games where people make stupid points because they're scum, so responding to their points with logic is exactly playing into their game plan. At that point, it's often times just better to resort to "I'M NOT LISTENING TO YOU YOU SCUMFUCK" because they're trying to use logic and argument to derail the game away from their actual alignment.

Mastin, I'd expect you to understand that given how much you as scum use that exact tactic.

Like, optimal town play is literally blank votes with no reasoning or logic in the posts, with the expectation being that other townies can accurately infer other townie's logic because of shared positionality. The only reason we don't play like that is because we're not perfect players.
Last edited by BROseidon on Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:56 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 4, Wake1 wrote:It's toxic behavior that often damages morale. If you're Scum that's fine, but behaving like that as Town will hurt Town.
And it happens outside of games too.

In post 6, Aeronaut wrote:I've even seen it in newbie games, SEs that are being awful to newbies because they can't comprehend game theory quite yet. It happened to me when I was new and it repelled me for awhile. It needs to not happen anymore
This is a particularly bad example, too. It is the very sort of thing reinoe got banned for doing, and encourages that type of player, too: newbies are going to see it. They'll either be repelled by it (in which case, great going, guys, you just got rid of a potential scummer before they had time to develop), or tells them such an attitude is accepted and maybe even preferable, which again...is not a good implication for the long-term health of mafiascum.

In post 21, Psyche wrote:I sort of disagree very vehemently with the idea that a lot people being assholes is a "new" development here on MS.
Never said it was. This particular
brand
of assholery, however, IS. It's always been around in a small amount. Now, however, it's running rampant.

In post 27, GuyInFreezer wrote:Wishing for a friendly conversation in a heated discussion filled with paranoia is wishing for an utopia imo
I didn't say it had to be friendly conversation.

It's just that snide comments--especially if YOU are wrong and THEY are right--are extremely unhealthy.
There's alternatives. It's not black-and-white, one-or-the-other.
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:18 pm

Post by T S O »

In post 29, mastin2 wrote:
In post 6, Aeronaut wrote:I've even seen it in newbie games, SEs that are being awful to newbies because they can't comprehend game theory quite yet. It happened to me when I was new and it repelled me for awhile. It needs to not happen anymore
This is a particularly bad example, too. It is the very sort of thing reinoe got banned for doing

reinoe was not banned for being a "smart-aleck".
"i have the sickest grossest feeling that even if it's my lynch today, my townflip still won't lead to a tso lynch, and then he'll find some bullshit way to reason either shooting or lynching gm tomorrow because if there's anyone who can strongarm a mislynch despite his reads or cases being proved wrong time and again it's tso"
-Marquis
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:34 pm

Post by Psyche »

Never said it was. This particular brand of assholery, however, IS. It's always been around in a small amount. Now, however, it's running rampant.

still disagree very vehemently
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:50 pm

Post by Iecerint »

In post 28, BROseidon wrote:Like, optimal town play is literally blank votes with no reasoning or logic in the posts, with the expectation being that other townies can accurately infer other townie's logic because of shared positionality. The only reason we don't play like that is because we're not perfect players.

I don't think that's true, unless certain PRs that make it actionable are assumed to be in the game. You need some kind of reasoning or logic to create a frame of reference for shared positionality to happen at all. Further, the simpler approach you're proposing is easier rather than harder to fake as scum. The main weakness of reasoning and logic is that the typical player skims posts that include it, which make it harder to assess what's legitimate and what's bullshit (in other words, the weakness is itself a product of player error).

You could run a theme game with day phases structured as you propose sometime and see what happens. Maybe you could have a pretty involved nightgame to keep it interesting.
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:05 am

Post by Klick »

In post 27, GuyInFreezer wrote:Wishing for a friendly conversation in a heated discussion filled with paranoia is wishing for a
n
utopia imo

ftfy
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:10 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

I'll go ahead and claim credit for being One Of Those People
Junpei
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:33 am

Post by Junpei »

Right afterwards I petition to get rid of people acting as what I like to call a dumbass-aleck. These people like to make shitposts in all subforums including this one and the main mafia forums. Typically they will spam posts that say absolutely nothing at all. They will in general be useless in their games and if they win it is nothing more than pure luck.

Typically these types of people go on to post many threads on the forum about how to act within a mafia game, how to create cases etc despite having no experience doing anything productive in a mafia games successfully. I really feel like it's holding back this site; you know, all the people suffering from spastic illogicitis
The melody of logic always plays the notes of truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA41ggsdeXE
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:48 am

Post by quadz08 »

Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:27 am

Post by Psyche »

not spastic illlogicitis!
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:52 pm

Post by Untrod Tripod »

also in response to the OP:

no
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:03 pm

Post by T S O »

PLEASE
PLEASE
"i have the sickest grossest feeling that even if it's my lynch today, my townflip still won't lead to a tso lynch, and then he'll find some bullshit way to reason either shooting or lynching gm tomorrow because if there's anyone who can strongarm a mislynch despite his reads or cases being proved wrong time and again it's tso"
-Marquis
sthar8
sthar8
Mafia Scum
sthar8
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:30 pm

Post by sthar8 »

In post 38, Untrod Tripod wrote:also in response to the OP:

no
TierShift
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:09 am

Post by TierShift »

goddammit all these threads I see with all the fucking haters

Why can't you just stop being smart-alecks you fucking pissheads
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:11 pm

Post by Majiffy »

In post 35, Junpei wrote:Right afterwards I petition to get rid of people acting as what I like to call a dumbass-aleck. These people like to make shitposts in all subforums including this one and the main mafia forums. Typically they will spam posts that say absolutely nothing at all. They will in general be useless in their games and if they win it is nothing more than pure luck.

Typically these types of people go on to post many threads on the forum about how to act within a mafia game, how to create cases etc despite having no experience doing anything productive in a mafia games successfully. I really feel like it's holding back this site; you know, all the people suffering from spastic illogicitis

Just so you know, notes play melodies, not the other way around.

:cool:
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game

Return to “Mafia Discussion”